Should the meaning of Greek words affect the interpretation of the passages they are found in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really take that into account (what I pointed out from 1 Thess 5 regarding the context of verses 2-3)? How can I believe that when you conclude that the sudden and unexpected destruction that Paul referenced is not God's wrath against unbelievers when the context clearly shows that it will come upon those who are in spiritual darkness? Those who are in spiritual darkness are unbelievers, are they not?
When my father spanked my brothers, I didn't suffer his wrath, but I was there when it happened. Likewise, believers are not destined to suffer God's wrath but they will be present when it happens.

In your view, Paul is talking about the final expression of God's wrath; in my view. based on the prophetic word, Paul is talking about a specific and limited expression of God's wrath, which is directed toward the Hebrew people. Consider reading the third and fourth chapters of the book of Malachi.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When my father spanked my brothers, I didn't suffer his wrath, but I was there when it happened. Likewise, believers are not destined to suffer God's wrath but they will be present when it happens.
They will have been changed and caught up to meet the Lord in the air at that point (1 Cor 15:51-52, 1 Thess 4:14-17).

In your view, Paul is talking about the final expression of God's wrath; in my view. based on the prophetic word, Paul is talking about a specific and limited expression of God's wrath, which is directed toward the Hebrew people.
Where does Paul give any indication whatsoever that he's talking about God's wrath towards the Hebrew people there? Who was Paul talking to there? Jew and Gentile Christians. Why would he warn Gentile believers to be careful about staying in the spiritual light ("let us be awake and sober") in order to avoid God's wrath if the wrath he was talking about was only going to be "directed toward the Hebrew people"? I believe you are taking him completely out of context.

Consider reading the third and fourth chapters of the book of Malachi.
I have read those many times. Did someone tell you that I haven't read those? Many people stubbornly read Malachi 4:5-6 and refuse to acknowledge that it's talking about John the Baptist coming in the spirit and power of Elijah (Luke 1:13-17) rather than about Elijah himself. Are you one of those people?