Should the meaning of Greek words affect the interpretation of the passages they are found in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your "rebuke" is like the clouds that bring no rain. It exists as a "rebuke" in your imagination only to call those who study the Bible and discuss it and dissect it and look for the meaning of the Greek and the Hebrew - in an eschatology board in a Christian forum - "immature", while talking about your holiness.

The person who isn't interested in the subject and enters the discussion not to bring an argument against the post or any post in the thread, but only to insult @quietthinker or to attack with words like "immature", or "unqualified" etc, is not very mature. He or she could have stayed out of it. So easy, but when they don't stay out of it and enter the discussion only to attack, then their words are meaningless. The clouds that bring no rain. A real rebuke has substance, because a rebuke is always called for. What you have been doing is only "called for" to you in your enthusiastic desire to make others look bad (while you claim to be holy).

Those who love Christ will study and dissect scripture and argue and discuss and debate its meaning - every part of it. We all understand that in Christ we are all one.

I'm not going to answer your posts about this anymore @quietthinker . It's like the most unnecessary and uncalled for type of post to respond to, IMO. It's totally not Christian to get into this kind of back-and-forth with another blood-bought child of God, anyway, no matter who started it, or who attacked whom.
What I say and what you hear are evidently two different things, evidenced by the conclusions you draw.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Thessalonians 1:6ff doesn't line up with 1Thess 5:1. These two passages refer to two different and distinct events. 2Thessalonians speaks about the judgment of individuals; 1Thessalonians 5:1 speaks about the judgment of Israel as a nation.

This is totally wrong.

Do you still deny the deity of Christ?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The believer will receive a resurrected immortal body just like Jesus

1 John 3:2KJV
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 Corinthians 15:52-53KJV
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
Just like Christ's body, but our immortality is in Christ, not in ourselves, just like Adam's immortally was before the fall. Only Christ has life in Himself, only He possesses immortality that can never be lost. We will not possess an immortality that can never be lost. We are not God and never will be.

Reactions: Truth7t7

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like Christ's body, but our immortality is in Christ, not in ourselves, just like Adam's immortally was before the fall. Only Christ has life in Himself, only He possesses immortality that can never be lost. We will not possess an immortality that can never be lost. We are not God and never will be.
I Agree 100%, the believers immortality is in Jesus Christ

Reactions: Zao is life

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heretics deny the deity of Christ. They do not get who God is and what He teaches in His Word. Your many false teachings emanate from this.
So I guess the answer is yes? Can't stand the message so attach the messenger?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, yes, our translations contain numerous errors because of a lack of understanding.

Take for instance the Greek root word "Neos," it is often translated as "New" or it has been translated as "Young/er" which is in keeping with its meaning being associated with age which is recent, i.e. "new" wine, that has been freshly obtained from the wine press,

1684637407697.png

whereas "kainos" has is also often translated as "NEW," but with respect to its condition with respect to its usefulness,

1684637768448.png

So in the parables of the "New wine put into New wineskins," it is speaking about new wine with respect to its age. and new wineskins with respect to its freshness such that the wineskin is capable of holding the new wine without bursting when the fresh wine ferments a little in the wine skins.

Old wineskins can be reused more than once to hold freshly pressed wine, if the wineskins are refreshed with oils and waxes so that the leather of the used wine skin is no longer hard and brittle but has become once more, soft and flexible, and on longer remains hard and brittle.

Even a new wineskin if it has been left to age on the shelf, so to speak, will become hard and brittle and will no longer be able to hold the "new" wine that has been freshly pressed in it.

The use of just the word "new" in the English translation presents the wrong context of the Parable.

Anyone who has worked with leather would naturally understand this.

Shalom

Reactions: Zao is life

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not, so. Heretics promote heresy.
You brought it up. I didn't. For some reason you lost sight of the subject matter of this thread. I suspect you diverted the thread because you didn't like what I was saying. Right?

You changed the subject. If you choose to not participate in a discussion, then don't post anything to the thread. You are free to be silent at any time.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heretics deny the deity of Christ. They do not get who God is and what He teaches in His Word. Your many false teachings emanate from this.
You deny the clear teaching of the OT.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. You said this in response to my question of whether 2 Thess 1:10 is referring to the same thing as 1 Thess 4:14-17 or not.

Now, let's look at that verse again along with the verses that precede it.

2 Thessalonians 1:6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might 10 on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

So, you agree that "the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people" is the day described in 1 Thess 4:14-17. Look at 2 Thess 1:7-9 to see what else happens on that day. He destroys those "who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus".

That lines up with this:

1 Thess 5:1 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

So, what Paul taught in both 1 Thess 4:14-5:3 and 2 Thess 1:6-10 is that on the day Jesus returns, believers will be gathered and caught up to Him and then He will then bring down sudden and unexpected destruction on "those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus" to such a degree that "they will not escape.

See how I'm interpreting scripture with scripture here? That is something you have not yet learned how to do.
I agree that scripture doesn't contradict itself, but don't always assume that common verbiage indicates common subject matter.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that scripture doesn't contradict itself, but don't always assume that common verbiage indicates common subject matter.
Who told you that I "always assume that"? Not me. But, in the case of 1 Thess 4:14-5:3 and 2 Thess 1:7-10 they are clearly speaking of the same event that results in the destruction of all of Christ's enemies. The context of each passage is directly related to the day Christ returns and what will happen on that day.

Last edited:

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Thessalonians 1:6ff doesn't line up with 1Thess 5:1. These two passages refer to two different and distinct events. 2Thessalonians speaks about the judgment of individuals; 1Thessalonians 5:1 speaks about the judgment of Israel as a nation.
How are you coming to this conclusion? You should know better by now than to just make a statement like this without backing it up. I can't take that seriously.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who told you that I "always assume that"? Not me. But, in the case of 1 Thess 4:14-5:3 and 2 Thess 1:7-10 they are clearly speaking of the same event that results in the destruction of all of Christ's enemies. The context of each passage is directly related to the day Christ returns and what will happen on that day.
I'm sorry. I apologize. I meant to say that I don't assume. I was speaking for myself. I didn't mean to insult you or challenge you at all. Please forgive me.

Okay, both passages speak about the destruction of Christ's enemies. But the Bible speaks about at least two occasions when this takes place: a judgment of Israel and another judgment of the Gentiles. Neither of these is the final judgment.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are you coming to this conclusion? You should know better by now than to just make a statement like this without backing it up. I can't take that seriously.
The phrase "times and epochs" is a strong clue. The coming of Jesus Christ is a climatic event that comes swiftly and unexpectedly. Times and epochs speak about a series of events that take place over an extended period.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I apologize. I meant to say that I don't assume. I was speaking for myself. I didn't mean to insult you or challenge you at all. Please forgive me.
But, why did you feel the need to point that out? Did I give any indication that I thought you assumed similarly worded scriptures must always be about the same event?

Okay, both passages speak about the destruction of Christ's enemies. But the Bible speaks about at least two occasions when this takes place: a judgment of Israel and another judgment of the Gentiles. Neither of these is the final judgment.
I assume the "judgment of Israel" is a reference to what happened in 70 AD? What "judgment of the Gentiles" are you talking about exactly?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase "times and epochs" is a strong clue.
A strong clue about what exactly?

The coming of Jesus Christ is a climatic event that comes swiftly and unexpectedly.
Yes, and is that not what is described in 1 Thess 5:2-3? Is that not what an event that is coming like a thief in the night resulting in sudden destruction implies?

Times and epochs speak about a series of events that take place over an extended period.
Yes. And your point is?