Should the meaning of Greek words affect the interpretation of the passages they are found in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The “elements” in view in 2 Peter 3 that “melt with fervent heat” when Jesus comes as “a thief in the night” obviously relate to creation. That is the context that Peter is talking about. He’s talking about the removal of the entire fallen visible physical system. The word denotes the “rudiments” of anything; the minute parts or portions of which anything is composed, or which constitutes the simple portions out of which anything grows, or of which it is compounded. Here it would properly denote the component parts of the material world; or those which enter into its composition, and of which it is made up.

Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus are believed to be the chief elements because they are the building blocks that allow life to exist. Those are the most common elements used in biology but there are several others that are also essential, like sodium, chlorine, potassium, iron and magnesium.
  • The earth and the works therein are speaking about our habitable globe and everything on it
  • The heavens refer to our solar system.
  • The elements refer to everything in between.
The context of what Peter is talking about is what Peter was talking about - the rudiments of this world and the works of men. He said nothing in all previous verses and chapters about rocks so that he could say the wicked works of the rocks will be burned up. That's your interpretation, but it's not according to the context.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Excuse me? You answered my question with a similar question. How are you thinking that you answered my post? You didn't address what I said at all. I am trying to be reasonable here and this is how I get treated in response? Good grief.
I answered your post straight afterward but you never bothered to read it because the same obvious question you opened with is the one I opened with.

You knew what I was saying in my post before you asked what I was saying. I knew what you were saying in your post before I asked what you were saying.

Then I answered your post.

Then you said I never answered your post...

sigh.

Here we go again. This method of yours.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
You placed the emphasis right exactly where you wanted it, on "heavens and earth", but failed to note that the heavens and the earth were not destroyed in the days of Noah by the flood, but the ungodly. The very context of everything Peter was talking about and closes with, is the rudiments of this world and the works of men.

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
5loaves2fishes.wixsite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The whole context of what Peter was saying in the chapters and verses before about false teachers etc, and the fact that he says we will see a new heavens and earth in which only righteousness dwells, should tell us that Peter is not speaking about the burning up of the planet, but of the works of men and the principles of this world.
Yes, but it’s not every day that the world gets burned up. So, I do not see why we have to strictly follow the previous usages of the words that you’ve listed. Besides, there are other scriptures, apart from Peter, that describe a complete destruction of the planet.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes, but it’s not every day that the world gets burned up. So, I do not see why we have to strictly follow the previous usages of the words that you’ve listed.
It's not every day that the world gets completely destroyed by the waters of a flood either, so that what follows is a completely new heavens and new earth, @Christian Gedge so I don't see how the context of what Peter was talking about which led up to what he was saying in chapter 3 (the rudiments of this world and the works of men) should turn the meanings of the Greek words into meaning something else, for the first and only time in the New Testament.
Besides, there are other scriptures, apart from Peter, that describe a complete destruction of the planet.
Bad argument to make when you don't follow it up with the scriptures you believe describe a complete destruction of "the planet" rather than a complete destruction of the people Peter was saying would be destroyed.

PS. Good to see you brother. Hope you are doing well?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered your post straight afterward but you never bothered to read it because the same obvious question you opened with is the one I opened with.

You knew what I was saying in my post before you asked what I was saying. I knew what you were saying in your post before I asked what you were saying.

Then I answered your post.

Then you said I never answered your post...

sigh.

Here we go again. This method of yours.
No idea of what you're saying here. I guess you have no interest in having a discussion and specifically addressing what I said in my post. I think it's because you have no answer for what I said, but whatever. Oh well. I'll move on to someone who actually wants to have a discussion then.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You placed the emphasis right exactly where you wanted it, on "heavens and earth", but failed to note that the heavens and the earth were not destroyed in the days of Noah by the flood, but the ungodly. The very context of everything Peter was talking about and closes with, is the rudiments of this world and the works of men.
Oh, so you did decide to actually address what I said. What was all that other stuff all about then? Anyway, I don't understand what you're saying here. Did Peter not point out how the world was destroyed by the flood waters in the past (which we know happened in Noah's day)? The entire surface of the earth was affected, was it not? That is what I'm talking about in relation to the future event. The entire surface of the earth will be burned up.

Peter followed up the reference to the world being destroyed by the flood by saying "By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.". It's clear to me that he was comparing two literal, physical global events here. The past one destroyed the world with water and the future one will destroy the world with fire. Very simple. No unbelievers survived the flood and no unbelievers will survive the fire that comes down when Christ returns. Again, very simple. You are turning something simple into something convoluted and confusing, in my opinion.

Can you tell me what exactly you believe will result from what is described 2 Peter 3:10-12? What do you think the world will be like exactly after what is described there occurs? Will it result in the new heavens and new earth that Peter references in the very next verse (2 Peter 3:13) as I believe? If not, what then?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of what Peter is talking about is what Peter was talking about - the rudiments of this world and the works of men. He said nothing in all previous verses and chapters about rocks so that he could say the wicked works of the rocks will be burned up. That's your interpretation, but it's not according to the context.
The context is established in 2 Peter 3:3-7 as I showed. Peter compared a future event directly with a past physical global event. The past event was the destruction of the earth (earth's surface specifically, not the annihilation of the earth, obviously) and Peter compared a future event directly to that ("by the same word...") and indicated this time it will happen by fire.

Tell me this. What is the difference between what Peter said in 2 Peter 3:3-7 and what Jesus said here:

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. 36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

In this passage Jesus talks about His second coming, of which no one knows the day or hour (other scripture says He is coming unexpected like a thief) and He relates it directly to the time when heaven and earth will pass away. He indicated that just as "the flood came and took them all away" (the flood destroyed all unbelievers) in Noah's day, "that is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man". So, using scripture to interpret scripture we can see that on the day Christ returns all unbelievers will be killed and the heavens and earth will pass away in some way. And the way in which they will pass away is not that they will be annihilated, but rather that they will be burned up and regenerated, resulting in "the new heavens and new earth, where righteousness dwells" that Peter said we are looking forward to in fulfillment of the promise of Christ's second coming (2 Peter 3:13).

Reactions: WPM

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree with that statement, because the earth being destroyed by fire is the language used in prophecies regarding what was then (when it was written) prophecy about the coming judgment of Babylon:

Destruction of ancient Babylon ("the nations" of the Babylonian Empire)

Isaiah 34:4
And all the host of the heavens shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled like a scroll; and all their host shall droop, as a leaf falls off from the vine, and as the falling from the fig tree.

Isaiah 34:8-10
For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance, the year to repay for the fighting against Zion. And its streams shall be turned into pitch, and its dust to brimstone, and its land shall become burning pitch. It shall not be put out night or day; its smoke shall go up forever. From generation to generation it shall lie waste; none passes through it forever and forever.

Isaiah 13:13
So I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall move out of its place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of His fierce anger.

Isaiah 13:8-10
.. they shall be afraid. Pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them. They shall be in pain like a woman who travails. They shall be amazed at one another, their faces like flames.
Behold, the day of the LORD comes, cruel and with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land waste; and He shall destroy its sinners out of it.
For the stars of the heavens and their constellations shall not give light; the sun shall be darkened in its going forth, and the moon shall not reflect its light.

The above did not happen in a literal sense when Babylon was judged. Fire just happens to be a metaphor for God's actions. Tongues of fire on the Day of Pentecost, but it wasn't a judgment. The fire spoken of by Peter and here is the fire of judgment:

"in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God and who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power." (2 Thess.1:8-9).

The Palmist also says that God did the following to Egypt:

Psalm 105
25 He turned their heart to hate His people, to deal craftily with His servants.
26 He sent Moses His servant, and Aaron whom He had chosen.
27 They showed His signs among them, and wonders in the land of Ham.
28 He sent darkness, and made it dark; and they did not rebel against His word.
29 He turned their waters into blood, and killed their fish.
30 Their land swarmed with frogs in the rooms of their kings.
31 He spoke, and there came fly swarms and gnats in all their borders.
32 He gave them hail for rain and flaming fire in their land.
33 He struck their vines also and their fig trees, and broke the trees of their borders.
34 He spoke, and locusts came, and larvae without number;
35 and they ate up all the plants in their land, and ate the fruit of their ground.

Same sort of judgment plagues written about in the Revelation, but also different (the locusts in the Revelation harm no green thing for example).

The old order will definitely be brought to an end and I do believe that we will see a rejuvenated heavens and earth, but the dissolution is not the way many interpret this passage, IMO.
Yes, I sometimes fail to see these metaphors in the way the authors used them. We've had these terms interpreted for us by modern people, who sometimes project these terms back using a more modern sense. I agree, universal annihilation is not being referred to here. Hyperbolic terms are often used because the God of the universe is using His omnipotent power and He is making a major change to a world power.

Wrapping the sky up like a scroll is one of those descriptions that tend to throw me off. But I think it means that the sky is like a canvas with written declarations stamped upon it. When the sky is thus "rolled up," it means that its useful purpose has come to an end or is changing to become something else. In other words, divine power is at work determining a new outcome for the world. Stars coming down from heaven indicate that the regular order is being changed, with the previous order falling down under divine judgment.

Fire burning elements means just that--when things are burned up, earth stops being productive. The things that are burned represent the end of the useful life of various things in the world, to make room for something new and better.

The Apocalyptic change in this world does not refer to the end of the universe itself, but rather, the end of the current state of things. The administration has changed from a satanic, rebellious leadership to Christ's leadership. The whole world will reflect this new order, the old order falling down under divine judgment.

In sum, I think we agree! :)

Reactions: Zao is life

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole context of what Peter was saying in the chapters and verses before about false teachers etc, and the fact that he says we will see a new heavens and earth in which only righteousness dwells, should tell us that Peter is not speaking about the burning up of the planet, but of the works of men and the principles of this world.
I Strongly Disagree

The very context of 2 Peter 3:10-13 below clearly tells the reader this earth is going to be gone, it explains how this will take place, "Dissolved" by fire to its very "Elements"

The final verse tells the reader they are to look for a New Heaven and Earth, putting the icing on the cake, in perfect agreement with Revelation 21:1-3 below, and the massive amount of scripture in post #32 below

Your desperate attempt at removing the Lord's fire in destruction of this earth at his return has miserably failed!

Jesus Is The Lord

2 Peter 3:10-13KJV
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Revelation 21:1-3KJV
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There Will Be No 1,000 Year Millennial Kingdom Upon This Earth, Jesus Christ Returns In Fire And Final Judgement, Dissolving This Existing Earth By Fire, Immediately After The Tribulation

This Existing Heaven And Earth Will Be (Replaced) By The New Heaven, Earth, Jerusalem, A New Creation, At The Return Of Jesus Christ

(Behold, I Make All Things New)

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Revelation 21:1-5KJV

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Matthew 24:29-30KJV
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

1 Corinthians 3:13KJV
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Luke 17:29-30KJV
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9KJV

7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance
on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Malachi 3:2KJV
2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

Psalm 46:6KJV
6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

Psalm 50:3KJV

3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

Psalm 97:5KJV
5 The hills melted like wax at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.

Isaiah 66:15KJV
15 For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

Zechariah 14:12KJV

12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

Nahum 1:5-6KJV

5 The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein.
6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

Revelation 20:9KJV
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
How can Greek be translated, when English can't fully explain Greek?
Well, if it cannot be translated, don't bother reading the New Testament in English. Or French. Or German. or any other language.

However, do bother to check what the verse is talking about every time the same Greek word is used.

There can only be one reason why the first and only time in the New Testament that the word stoicheîon means something other than the principles of this world, and why why the first and only time in the New Testament that the word érgon means the works of rocks or whatever (of the earth) rather than the works of God or of angels or of men, is in 2 Peter 3:10-12 - and that reason is because it doesn't mean something else in 2 Peter 3:10-12.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Oh, so you did decide to actually address what I said. What was all that other stuff all about then? Anyway, I don't understand what you're saying here. Did Peter not point out how the world was destroyed by the flood waters in the past (which we know happened in Noah's day)? The entire surface of the earth was affected, was it not? That is what I'm talking about in relation to the future event. The entire surface of the earth will be burned up.

Peter followed up the reference to the world being destroyed by the flood by saying "By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.". It's clear to me that he was comparing two literal, physical global events here. The past one destroyed the world with water and the future one will destroy the world with fire. Very simple. No unbelievers survived the flood and no unbelievers will survive the fire that comes down when Christ returns. Again, very simple. You are turning something simple into something convoluted and confusing, in my opinion.

Can you tell me what exactly you believe will result from what is described 2 Peter 3:10-12? What do you think the world will be like exactly after what is described there occurs? Will it result in the new heavens and new earth that Peter references in the very next verse (2 Peter 3:13) as I believe? If not, what then?
The earth - the planet itself - was not destroyed by the flood. The ungodly were. And you placed the emphasis not on the ungodly being destroyed by the flood, but on the flood, falsely implying that the planet itself was destroyed by it. There was a new heavens and new earth following the flood, in which at least for a short time, righteousness dwelt.

However, while you are ignoring the above fact, do bother to also go to the trouble of checking to see what the verse is talking about every time the same Greek words used in 2 Peter 3:10 & 12 are used, because there can only be one reason why the first and only time in the New Testament that the word stoicheîon means something other than the principles of this world, and why why the first and only time in the New Testament that the word érgon means the works of rocks or whatever (of the earth) rather than the works of God or of angels or of men, is in 2 Peter 3:10-12 - and that reason is because it doesn't mean something else in 2 Peter 3:10-12.

The new creation is already come. It's in Christ. It came when He rose again from the dead. The New Heavens and New Earth is what will follow after the works of men and the rudiments|principles of this world have been judged and destroyed forever. This time they will be gone, forever. The new heavens and earth will also have been liberated from its bondage to decay:

21 that the creation itself will also be set free from the bondage of decay into the glorious freedom of God's children.
22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers together until now.
23 Not only this, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we eagerly await our adoption, the redemption of our bodies. (Romans 8)

The creation was subject to the bondage of decay only because of (as a result of) the fall of Adam.

20 For the creation was subjected to futility - not willingly but because of God who subjected it - in hope.

The last Adam died and rose again and the new creation is come - in Him. This is the reason for this hope Paul is talking about above. The same hope we have is the hope of the creation.

That heavens and earth - the one that existed in the days of Noah - was destroyed by the flood only in the sense that the principles of that world and works of Satan and of men were destroyed by the flood.

Those are the things Peter is saying will be burned up. He is not saying the planet itself will be destroyed, neither is he saying that the new heavens and new earth will be something that appears after the present planet and universe itself is burned up. If he was, then he would have been also saying that the planet and universe itself was destroyed in the days of Noah.

The only way you can have Peter saying that the destruction by fire is referring to the planet itself is to have him saying that the planet itself was destroyed by the flood (rather than the ungodly destroyed by the flood), and also by ignoring the meaning of the Greek words for rudiments|principles of this world and the works of men wherever else they are used in the New Testament.

And this is exactly why you emphasized what Peter said about the earth being destroyed in the days of Noah (as though the planet itself was destroyed), rather than emphasizing the destruction of the ungodly by the flood. The emphasis is on the destruction by fire of the ungodly. Their works and the rudiments of this world are not consumed "along with the burning up i.e complete destruction of the planet".

Last edited:

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Just like the resurrected body of Christ was the same, yet different because He was glorified, and just like the creation will be delivered from bondage to decay when the sons of God are resurrected (as per Paul), it will be the same, but different, the same, but new and much better.

You talk of the surface of the planet being on fire. That doesn't destroy the planet any more than the waters of the flood destroyed the planet. Even if the crust of the earth melts and then solidifies as in volcanic lava, it will simply result in rejuvenation. Fire doesn't burn forever without vegetation and insects and animals and humans to fuel it. Once the fire burns out new vegetation appears.

I cannot imagine what the new heavens and new earth will be like. What was the new heavens and earth like after the flood? I believe it will be even better. All I know is that Peter is not talking about the destruction of the planet, but of the ungodly. The fire is for them, not them wicked rocks.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The context is established in 2 Peter 3:3-7 as I showed.
That's not true. You have shown what is not true, yet again. The chapter division between 2 Peter 2 and 3 was only inserted into the text in 1227 AD. You have to read the whole text as a whole, because that's what it is. Very bad hermeneutic to slice one portion out and take the context out of that portion only. Preterists do that with other texts.

2 Peter 2 is talking about the rudiments of this world and the works of men. That's where Peter starts talking about this, and that is the context. I could also add, "as I showed", but it would not make me the authority who inspired the scriptures, any more than your choice of words makes you the authority.

You often seem to "qualify" the statements you make with this type of self-awarded "stamp of authority", which means nothing, and should be left out, IMO, because that sort of addition does not stamp your statements with the authority you imagine it does.

The context of the whole of 2 Peter 3 is 2 Peter 2.

Last edited:

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The context is established in 2 Peter 3:3-7 as I showed. Peter compared a future event directly with a past physical global event. The past event was the destruction of the earth (earth's surface specifically, not the annihilation of the earth, obviously) and Peter compared a future event directly to that ("by the same word...") and indicated this time it will happen by fire.

Tell me this. What is the difference between what Peter said in 2 Peter 3:3-7 and what Jesus said here:

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. 36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

In this passage Jesus talks about His second coming, of which no one knows the day or hour (other scripture says He is coming unexpected like a thief) and He relates it directly to the time when heaven and earth will pass away. He indicated that just as "the flood came and took them all away" (the flood destroyed all unbelievers) in Noah's day, "that is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man". So, using scripture to interpret scripture we can see that on the day Christ returns all unbelievers will be killed and the heavens and earth will pass away in some way. And the way in which they will pass away is not that they will be annihilated, but rather that they will be burned up and regenerated, resulting in "the new heavens and new earth, where righteousness dwells" that Peter said we are looking forward to in fulfillment of the promise of Christ's second coming (2 Peter 3:13).
So Jesus likened it to the flood.

Tell me this .. did heaven and earth pass away in the flood? Just answer that question, before we can even think about what Peter meant.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes, I sometimes fail to see these metaphors in the way the authors used them. We've had these terms interpreted for us by modern people, who sometimes project these terms back using a more modern sense. I agree, universal annihilation is not being referred to here. Hyperbolic terms are often used because the God of the universe is using His omnipotent power and He is making a major change to a world power.

Wrapping the sky up like a scroll is one of those descriptions that tend to throw me off. But I think it means that the sky is like a canvas with written declarations stamped upon it. When the sky is thus "rolled up," it means that its useful purpose has come to an end or is changing to become something else. In other words, divine power is at work determining a new outcome for the world. Stars coming down from heaven indicate that the regular order is being changed, with the previous order falling down under divine judgment.

Fire burning elements means just that--when things are burned up, earth stops being productive. The things that are burned represent the end of the useful life of various things in the world, to make room for something new and better.

The Apocalyptic change in this world does not refer to the end of the universe itself, but rather, the end of the current state of things. The administration has changed from a satanic, rebellious leadership to Christ's leadership. The whole world will reflect this new order, the old order falling down under divine judgment.

In sum, I think we agree! :)
I believe that the sky rolling up like a scroll either has something to do with exposing the darkness, or with the removal of the Light of the world, or the removal of the mercies of God.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Peter is not speaking about the burning up of the planet, but of the works of men and the principles of this world.
How could the works of men be burned up without the burning up of the planet for a thorough cleansing? So Peter is speaking of both, since the planet contains the works of men.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I Strongly Disagree

The very context of 2 Peter 3:10-13 below clearly tells the reader this earth is going to be gone, it explains how this will take place, "Dissolved" by fire to its very "Elements"

The final verse tells the reader they are to look for a New Heaven and Earth, putting the icing on the cake, in perfect agreement with Revelation 21:1-3 below, and the massive amount of scripture in post #32 below

Your desperate attempt at removing the Lord's fire in destruction of this earth at his return has miserably failed!

Jesus Is The Lord

Revelation 21:1-3KJV
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
"Elements" = stoicheion = the principles of this world|rudiments of men. So they are going to be dissolved. Works - ergon = the works of men. Not the works of rocks. Are the rocks wicked, then? And "dissolved" = luo = simply means to loose or to put off. Jesus dissolved the Mosaic Covenant in His blood. The rudiments of this world and the works of men and of darkness will be put off. Dissolved. Made an end of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf-