Sola Scriptura 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is zero oral tradition for the New Testament. It was written by eyewitnesses called the apostles of Christ.

1. Mark and Luke were not eyewitnesses. Paul was not an eyewitness

2. No-one knows who wrote Hebrews so you cannot say it was written by an eye-witness

3. I given plenty of evidence of passing on of oral teaching- see post #190.

I’ve given the biblical proof that the scriptures say they are the sole and final authority, before.

I haven't seen it

The reason the Catholic Church wanted to discredit the scriptures is because their sect was not following them, to the point they actually killed anyone caught with a bible written in their own language, to keep that hidden.
That is a lie. The Catholic Church does not try to discredit Scripture.
The Catholic Church did not kill anyone caught with a Bible in their own language. The Catholic Church translated Scripture into local languages well before the likes of Wycliffe (for example). You are speaking from ignorance.

I can give you numerous example if you want them.

The desire to keep everyone in the dark about the content of the Bible is from fear of being exposed as following invented tradition instead of the scriptures.
Rubbish, and rubbish without any evidence.

This fear was justified, as proven by what happened when one of their priests named Martin Luther, decided to study the instructional letter the apostle Paul wrote to the Catholic Church - the book of Romans- and discovered just how far his church had strayed from the truth.
The Catholic Church has not strayed from the truth.

The result from someone reading the scriptures was the reformation, as Luther and many other Catholics had to leave that church under protest, because it refused to reform and conform to the apostles doctrines set down in the New Testament.

Maranatha

You need to read some real history.

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question ,what's wrong with sola scripture ?How can scripture itself be unbiblical ?
Scripture cannot be unbiblical. Where did you get that idea from?
It's Scripture alone that is unbiblical.

No comment on post #190?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They stopped the first thread as 'unedifying'. I asked them for their definition of 'unedifying', so that we could avoid being 'unedifying' in their eyes, so that a good thread does not get shut down.

But I have not gotten a response yet. Therefore, to avoid being shut down, I plead with people to do three things:
1. Keep to topic.
2. No personal attacks
3. No cursing.

I normally keep 1 & 3, but I admit I have my own problem with 3, but will nevertheless try to lead the way in not doing so. And I will report others doing so, only so that the thread will not be shut down again. Why? Because it is a very profitable and necessary subject to the gospel of the cross being preached according to the scriptures....

Man is flawed, and out of 50 English translations, we can see variations, which is why I reference a half dozen for verification and to see different words used. The Greek is good to reference but hey, the scholars already did the work for us. I don't know Koine Greek nor do I have a PhD in theology.
Ruth Graham said she had about twenty versions of the Bible and they all say the same thing.
If it is God's Word and He is sovereign, why would people think that He could not preserve It? I got saved from reading "The Book" which is a paraphrased translation. The Spirit of God imparted the truths of the Word into me regardless. God works alongside our flaws and gets the job done. Then of course I started reading more accurate translations.
But the truths are in there. It is imperative that with crucial doctrines and powerful verses of which there are hundreds, we need accuracy. For instance, John 1:1 needs to be accurate. If you add a word or take it away (as in the NWT), the meaning changes .. so don't use that translation.
Back to Sola Scriptura. The Bible only is not enough. We need the Holy Spirit. Many people have read the Bible and did not receive enlightenment. All scripture is spiritually discerned, so we need to be born again and have the Holy Spirit teaching and guiding us.

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic Church does not try to discredit Scripture.

Those who reject sola scripture want to discredit Scriptural authority.

God has only one authority, not several authorities that do not agree with each other.

To reject Scriptural authority is to reject Scripture as the authoritative source of God.

Therefore, Scripture is rejected, so that another authority can be preached and taught: which is the authority of another gospel.

and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

There are two authorities on earth at this time: God's and the dragon's.

Scripture is by God's authority, and all other outside traditions are the dragon's.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Catholic Church does not try to discredit Scripture.

Those who reject sola scripture want to discredit Scriptural authority.

God has only one authority, not several authorities that do not agree with each other.

To reject Scriptural authority is to reject Scripture as the authoritative source of God.

Therefore, Scripture is rejected, so that another authority can be preached and taught: which is the authority of another gospel.

and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

There are two authorities on earth at this time: God's and the dragon's.

Scripture is by God's authority, and all other outside traditions are the dragon's.

You are confusing authority with authoritative.
We've been though all this before!
Scripture has no authority. It is authoritative meaning true and reliable.
Authority lies with persons. It's about power and legitimacy to act.
Jesus has authority and he gave authority to the apostles and his Church to speak and act in his name..
I can go though all the Scripture again if you want me to but as you tend to ignore Scripture and just give your opinions I don't see the point of doing that.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My bad. Those who reject Sola Scriptura must also reject Scripture's 'authoritativeness', because once Scripture is confirmed as God's 'authoritatively' written Word, then all outside of Scripture are without authority of God.

They who believe in the 'authoritativeness' of anything outside of Scripture, are believing and obeying the authority of another god, who is no god, because their outside tractions are not the tradition of God written in Scripture.

By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?

Scripture is God's written authority on all things of God in heaven and in earth.

Jesus is the Word of God, which is spoken in all Scripture, and so His words are with His authority, and have His authority.

So, authority is used good for Scripture, and takes less time to write.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, that settles that. We all need to repent and become Catholics.

And start reading up on all their traditions outside of Scripture.

Who needs Scripture, when you have plenty of outside traditions taught instead of Scripture?

You can believe in God without knowing any scripture.

The Catholic motto.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@robert derrick
You are still trying to make authority and authoritative the same thing.
They are not.

My bad. Those who reject Sola Scriptura must also reject Scripture's 'authoritativeness', because once Scripture is confirmed as God's 'authoritatively' written Word, then all outside of Scripture are without authority of God.

It doesn't follow at all. Your logic is faulty.
As I have shown from Scripture God's words are not all written in Scripture. Some of God's words were passed on orally.

They who believe in the 'authoritativeness' of anything outside of Scripture, are believing and obeying the authority of another god, who is no god, because their outside tractions are not the tradition of God written in Scripture.
No they are not. It doesn't follow.

By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
Good quote. It shows what I have been saying - authority lies in persons and it is about actions. Note the words I have emboldened.

Scripture is God's written authority on all things of God in heaven and in earth.
Once again it authoritative not authority.

Jesus is the Word of God, which is spoken in all Scripture, and so His words are with His authority, and have His authority.
Wrong again. They are authoritative because they are Jesus words. His actions recorded in those words show his authority.

So, authority is used good for Scripture, and takes less time to write.
Your premises are wrong so your conclusion is wrong.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Well, that settles that. We all need to repent and become Catholics.
That would be a good start.

And start reading up on all their traditions outside of Scripture.

You are confusing traditions (small "t") with (Sacred) Tradition (capital "T"). Not the same thing.

Who needs Scripture, when you have plenty of outside traditions taught instead of Scripture?

2Tim 3:16-17. Don't you know your Scripture?

You can believe in God without knowing any scripture.

The Catholic motto.

Did the gentiles that Paul preached to and converted know any Scripture?

Did Paul go around handing out Bibles and saying "Read that and if you have any questions - just ask"? Or did he preach about Jesus to convert them?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@robert derrick
You are still trying to make authority and authoritative the same thing.
They are not.

It doesn't follow at all. Your logic is faulty.
As I have shown from Scripture God's words are not all written in Scripture. Some of God's words were passed on orally.

No they are not. It doesn't follow.

Good quote. It shows what I have been saying - authority lies in persons and it is about actions. Note the words I have emboldened.

Wrong again. They are authoritative because they are Jesus words. His actions recorded in those words show his authority.

You've shown nothing, and you know nothing worth learning. You only show how to be so utterly wrong about something.

God's Word is passed on orally after it is written and and read and preached. Jesus showed Himself to be the Christ by the Scriptures, and Paul likewise showed Him to be the Christ by the Scriptures.

Your only useful to me is to demonstrate exactly how wrong a person can be, and in refuting it, I learn even more surely that Sola Scriptura is obviously true.

They who preach Jesus according to the Scriptures, preach the everlasting Gospel of God. They who preach int he name of Jesus according to their traditions outside of Scripture, are preaching a false christ and accursed gospel.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

You've shown nothing, and you know nothing worth learning. You only show how to be so utterly wrong about something.
I have shown you and you have no reply but to bluster and waffle - and divert from your inability to show any scripture that proves Sola Scriptura.

I gave several Scripture references in post #190.
Here are they are in full.
Jn 21:25 "But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written"

2 Thess 2:15 "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter."

1 Cor 11:34 "if any one is hungry, let him eat at home—lest you come together to be condemned. About the other things I will give directions when I come."

2 Tim 2:2 "and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. "

2 Jn 1:12 "Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink, but I hope to come to see you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete."

God's Word is passed on orally after it is written and and read and preached.
That is a ridiculous statement.
Did the apostles sit down and write what they were going to preach and then read them out?
When Peter preached at Pentecost did he only read from Scripture?

Jesus showed Himself to be the Christ by the Scriptures, and Paul likewise showed Him to be the Christ by the Scriptures.
When Paul preached the NT hadn't been written.
Of course Jesus and Paul used Scripture but not Scripture alone.

Your only useful to me is to demonstrate exactly how wrong a person can be, and in refuting it, I learn even more surely that Sola Scriptura is obviously true.
But you still cannot give me Scripture that proves it.

They who preach Jesus according to the Scriptures, preach the everlasting Gospel of God. They who preach int he name of Jesus according to their traditions outside of Scripture, are preaching a false christ and accursed gospel.
Another false opinion given without evidence.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Only those who reject the authority of Scripture in things pertaining to the God of Scripture, would try to go to a useless sophistry about 'authority' vs 'authoritative'.

They can use whatever word they want, they still reject Scripture as the authority of God's Word, and the authority on God's things.

When one that rejects Scripture as the authority of the true God, says you're wrong about Scripture and it's authority, you know you are right with God pertaining to Scripture.

You are confusing traditions (small "t") with (Sacred) Tradition (capital "T"). Not the same thing.

True, all outside traditions from an outside source are little 't', and the traditions of God in Scripture is big 'T'.

And those who reject big 'T' only, go on to believe all the little 't' the little devil has made up for them:

They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms.

The only 'Sacred' traditions on earth are those made by men, who have made themselves 'Sacred' in the eyes of their followers.

They had the same Scriptures that Paul preached from, and they used them to confirm what Paul said was so.

Or did he preach about Jesus to convert them?

He preached about Jesus from the Scriptures.

You ignorance about Scripture is due to your rejection of Scripture for authority of God, even as your true fathers and unbelieving Jews looked to their outside traditions, and so knew nothing of Scriptural truth:

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures. (Acts 17:2)

Them that preach about Jesus, not according to the scriptures, preach about another christ of another gospel, in the name of Jesus, and do lie about Jesus.

The Jews religion came from the traditions of the Jews outside of Scripture, and the Catholic religion came the exact same way: outside traditions taught for doctrine of God, contrary to the Scriptures.

The error of them in the old covenant is the same error of them in the new.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Only those who reject the authority of Scripture in things pertaining to the God of Scripture, would try to go to a useless sophistry about 'authority' vs 'authoritative'.

They can use whatever word they want, they still reject Scripture as the authority of God's Word, and the authority on God's things.

When one that rejects Scripture as the authority of the true God, says you're wrong about Scripture and it's authority, you know you are right with God pertaining to Scripture.

If you can't (or just stubbornly refuse) to understand the difference between authority and authoritative then you will remain in ignorance and darkness. You cling to a man made & false tradition that you cannot prove. Moreover as I have shown - from Scripture - that Scripture alone is false you are in denial of Scripture.

True, all outside traditions from an outside source are little 't', and the traditions of God in Scripture is big 'T'.

And those who reject big 'T' only, go on to believe all the little 't' the little devil has made up for them:

They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms.

Your opinion is false and you are abusing Scripture by trying to prop up your false claims by misusing it.

The only 'Sacred' traditions on earth are those made by men, who have made themselves 'Sacred' in the eyes of their followers.

Sacred Tradition is by definition not a tradition of man. Again you are wrong because you have no understanding.

They had the same Scriptures that Paul preached from, and they used them to confirm what Paul said was so.

If you mean the Bereans they were not Gentiles. Paul was preaching in a Jewish Synagogue. You should study the Scriptures more.

Or did he preach about Jesus to convert them?

He preached about Jesus from the Scriptures.

Not to the gentiles he didn't.

You ignorance about Scripture is due to your rejection of Scripture for authority of God, even as your true fathers and unbelieving Jews looked to their outside traditions, and so knew nothing of Scriptural truth:

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures. (Acts 17:2)

It is not I that am ignorant of Scripture.
I use Scripture to prove my points.
You do not use Scripture to prove your points, just abuse Scripture to insult your opponents

Them that preach about Jesus, not according to the scriptures, preach about another christ of another gospel, in the name of Jesus, and do lie about Jesus.
The Catholic Church preaches Jesus from the whole Word of God not just Scripture. It faithfully preserves and transmits all the was passed on.
"Yet this Magisterium is not superior to the Word of God, but is its servant. It teaches only what has been handed on to it. At the divine command and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it listens to this devotedly, guards it with dedication and expounds it faithfully. All that it proposes for belief as being divinely revealed is drawn from this single deposit of faith."(CCC para 86)

The Jews religion came from the traditions of the Jews outside of Scripture, and the Catholic religion came the exact same way: outside traditions taught for doctrine of God, contrary to the Scriptures.

The error of them in the old covenant is the same error of them in the new.

Catholic Doctrine comes from the word of God - from both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition - from the fullness of God's word, not just part of it.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are confusing authority with authoritative.
We've been though all this before!
Jesus has authority and he gave authority to the apostles and his Church to speak and act in his name..
I can go though all the Scripture again if you want me to but as you tend to ignore Scripture and just give your opinions I don't see the point of doing that.

You said: Scripture has no authority. It is authoritative meaning true and reliable. Authority lies with persons. It's about power and legitimacy to act.

I guess you misunderstand this:
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

This fulfills Scripture being a Person with AUTHORITY and that AUTHORITY in Scripture and in those who are AUTHORIZED to speak it.

Reactions: robert derrick

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: Scripture has no authority. It is authoritative meaning true and reliable. Authority lies with persons. It's about power and legitimacy to act.

This fulfills Scripture being a Person with AUTHORITY and that AUTHORITY in Scripture and in those who are AUTHORIZED to speak it.
Amen.

Jesus is His Word of authority, and His words of authority are written in Scripture. His written Word is His authority.

And all outside His written Word are without His authority.

They who believe and obey words outside His authority of Scripture, are idolaters that go a whoring after other sources of God.

They believe and worship authorities as godly, that have no authority of God according to the Scriptures: they are gods who are no gods.

Reactions: David in NJ

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to read some real history.
I have.

Your history is revisionist in its entirety.

The claimed history of the RCC, is that Jesus gave Peter the preeminence over all the apostles, that Jesus made Peter the head of His church and built the Roman Catholic church on him, that Peter was therefore the first pope, and that every subsequent pope holds the seat of Peter, via apostolic succession - making their sect the preeminent church that heads all Christendom, and the pope the supreme head over all Christianity.

The first thing wrong with claiming Peter founded and was the head of the RCC, is the fact that God made him the apostle to the Jews, and the Roman church consisted of gentiles.

In the New Testament, Peter is shown multiple times in the Jerusalem church - the Jewish Christian church - and is never found once in the gentile Roman church.

Scripture says Paul is the apostle to the gentiles, and that Peter is the apostle to the Jews (to the circumcision), so Peter would not be the head of a gentile Roman church!

To whit:

Gal 2:7 On the contrary, they saw that God had given me the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, just as he had given Peter the task of preaching the gospel to the Jews.

Gal 2:8 For by God's power I was made an apostle to the Gentiles, just as Peter was made an apostle to the Jews.

That explains why the apostle to the gentiles, Paul, wrote the book of Romans instead of Peter, the supposed head of the RCC.

And Paul calls those in the Roman church, gentiles - in case someone wants to claim that the Roman church isn’t a gentile church.

Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among OTHER Gentiles.

And when Paul wanted to visit Peter 3 years after his conversion on Damascus road, he had to go to Jerusalem, where Peter and the Jewish Christian church was, instead of to Rome:

Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Peter was not in Rome being the pope - he was at Jerusalem where the Jewish Christian church was.

The second thing wrong with the claim that the first and original church was founded in Rome by Peter, is found in Acts 2, where it’s clear that the church started in Jerusalem, with Peter preaching there to the first 3,000 converts to Christianity.

It’s historical fact that the Jerusalem church was the first church, and was the preeminent church from its beginning in Acts 2, until the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Wikipedia:

Jerusalem was the first center of the church, according to the Book of Acts, and according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the location of "the first Christian church".[8] The apostles lived and taught there for some time after Pentecost.[9] James, the brother of Jesuswas a leader in the church, and his other kinsmenlikely held leadership positions in the surrounding area after the destruction of the city until its rebuilding as Aelia Capitolina, c. 130, when all Jews were banished from the city.[9]

In about 50, Barnabasand Paulwent to Jerusalem to meet with the "pillars of the church",[10] James, Peter, and John. Later called the Council of Jerusalem, according to Pauline Christians, this meeting (among other things) confirmed the legitimacy of the mission of Barnabas and Paul to the gentiles, and the gentile converts' freedom from most Mosaic law, especially circumcision.

When Peter left Jerusalem after Herod Agrippa Itried to kill him, James appears as the principal authority.[14] Clement of Alexandria(c. 150–215) called him Bishop of Jerusalem.[14] A second-centurychurch historian, Hegesippus, wrote that the Sanhedrinmartyred him in 62.[14]

In 66, the Jews revolted against Rome.[9] Rome besieged Jerusalem for four years, and the city fell in 70.[9] The city, including the Temple, was destroyed and the population was mostly killed or removed.[9] According to a tradition recorded by Eusebiusand Epiphanius of Salamis, the Jerusalem church fled to Pellaat the outbreak of the First Jewish Revolt.

Notice that the first church council was held in the Jerusalem church - because it was the preeminent church - not Rome.

Also, Jesus told the apostles that none of them would be above the others - Peter was not given preeminence:

Mat 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him,and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.

Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

Mat 20:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

Peter didn’t think he was anything but a fellow elder:

1Pe 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am ALSO an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

And Jesus did not tell Peter that the church would be built on him:

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus spoke of two different rocks: Peter is Petros in the Greek - small rock - and the rock the church is built on is Petra - bedrock.

In the Greek Jesus said: thou art PETROS, and upon this PETRA I will build my church.

The language God chose for the New Testament to be written in, explicitly states there are two different rocks there.

Also, the Greek word for church , kuriakos ,is not found in Matthew 16:18 - the word used is ekklesia, meaning a congregation of people assembled together - it does not mean a church organization of Pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests, as the Roman sect wants us to believe.

And in fact the church of Christ isn’t built on any single individual apostle or prophet:

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Built on the foundation of apostles, PLURAL, and prophets, PLURAL - not on Peter alone.

In Matthew 16:19 Jesus gives Peter keys (authority) and the power to bind and loose - yet 2 chapters later when He met the other apostles, Jesus gives the same power of binding and loosing to them, too, in Matthew 18:18 - so Peter has no special authority beyond what the 12 shared.

Peter was not a Bishop, or Pope in the Roman church - ever.

Linus was the first bishop/pope of the Roman church, according to the Orthodox Church.

Peter, the apostle to the Jews, is found in the NT only in the Jerusalem church - the Jewish Christian church - not in the gentile Roman church.

And when Paul visited Peter 3 years after his conversion on Damascus road, he had to go to Jerusalem, where Peter and the Jewish Christian church was:

Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Peter was not in Rome being a pope.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.

Jesus is His Word of authority, and His words of authority are written in Scripture. His written Word is His authority.

And all outside His written Word are without His authority.

They who believe and obey words outside His authority of Scripture, are idolaters that go a whoring after other sources of God.

They believe and worship authorities as godly, that have no authority of God according to the Scriptures: they are gods who are no gods.

You said: And all outside His written Word are without His authority.

CORRECT

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
First let me say that I believe that Scripture is true, and God inspired, infallible, written Word and revelation. This is what the Catholic Church believes and teaches.

But Scripture, the written word of God, is not the totality of God's words to men. Scripture itself says that (Jn 21:25, 2 Thess 2:15, 1 Cor 11:34, 2 Tim 2:2, 2 Jn 1:12). Nor does scripture say it is sufficient in itself, but useful (2 Tim 3:16) and necessary (2Tim 3:17).

The teaching that Jesus gave to the apostles that was passed on orally is known as Sacred Tradition. We need both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition for the full revelation of God, the Deposit of Faith as the Catholic Church calls it.

There is a third thing we need to correctly interpret and understand this Deposit of Faith. We need the Church that Jesus Christ founded on the Apostles (Eph 2:20). It is this Church that Jesus made promises would be preserved from error by the Holy Spirit by reminding the apostles of all that Jesus had taught them (Jn 14:26) and guide them into the truth in the future (Jn 16:13). Jesus never promised that individuals would be preserved from error. Indeed Scriptures warns against such a belief (2Pet 1:20).

That does not mean that we should not try to interpret Scripture but we need to be aware that we are not infallible. Scripture should also be interpreted in context, not bits plucked out as if they stand alone. And it's not just the scriptural context but the wider cultural context. I am reading a fascinating book at the moment that shows how we need to understand the mindset of the Jews of Jesus' time to understand some of his words and actions.

No it's not(scripture) the totality ,as scripture itself states .What the heck is a sacred tradition ? Did not Christ give us the Holy Spirit to lead and guide .

I see where it's written that Christ did many things that were not written but where is it written that He intended those things to be known .

May I ask are you talking about the catechism of the catholic church ?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This is beyond ridiculous.
The Bible is not Jesus. The Bible is a book not a person.

Zondervan Press (or whoever published your Bible) do not print millions of copies of Jesus.