Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they where not, they had motive behind there translation, stop blaming God for mens evil desires.Just like pharaoh, making slaves of men, that is what religion is all about. Teh mistranslated bible was there justification.
Stop blaming God?o_O

Pharaoh and slaves of men? o_O

They had a motive behind their translation? We are not even talking about translations. o_O

You sir make ZERO sense.

Back to the ignore list for you.

IHS...Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir you may ask anything you like. You have been honorable in all our interactions.
Christ indeed was a comforter to them as well as a counselor and a guide or helper. If you look at the context of the verse you quoted it is where Christ is telling the disciples that he will have to leave so, Christ is letting them know that they will not be left alone but that he will ask the Father to send them a helper.

To clarify what I am saying;
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The helper Christ is signifying can only be the one sent after his ascension since it will be the one who would have knowledge of what was already said by Him. Thus, though Christ was a helper in many ways (as you are thinking) and was sent by the Father both He and I are pointing to the Helper that would have the historic knowledge of what He has already said during his life in the physical world.

If this subject about the Holy spirit is of interest to you then I would ask of you to find the 2 places in the old testament where God tells about his people being given this spirit. This is also not a trick or a test. I am stating plainly that the references are there.
Thank you for your kind and extensive response.

"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." Prov 1:23

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" Joel 2:28

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOU are the one who said we can rely on scripture alone, not me.
Can you back up that statement? IHS....Mary

Actually the OP statement is "Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic". Feel free to discuss the question being asked. Attempting to sidetrack the question into the question of how scripture came from God to us is as I said a good subject for a thread that you should start.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a number of current religious sects that demand that a "Christian" must accept specific tenets (that you can't find in scripture) or else you are not considered a Christian nor can you be saved and would thus be labeled a heretic.

Can anyone name any of those specific tenets?
sola Scriptura
sola Fide

IHS...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the OP statement is "Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic". Feel free to discuss the question being asked. Attempting to sidetrack the question into the question of how scripture came from God to us is as I said a good subject for a thread that you should start.
Hi KBCid,

You didn't FULLY quote yourself which makes your above statement a bit dishonest. What you actually said in your original post is If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

Since YOU are the one who said we can rely on scripture alone please show me in scripture which books belong in our bible?

A heretic is a person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted. Is sola Scriptura generally accepted by all Christians?

Who has the authority to call someone a heretic?

IHS...Mary

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your kind and extensive response.
"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." Prov 1:23
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" Joel 2:28

Indeed.
Now here is a bit tougher one if you enjoy as I do the searching of scripture, there are 2 more references that can be found in Ezekiel. 1 is in Ezekiel 11 and 1 in Ezekiel 36 that most people never catch.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi KBCid,
You didn't FULLY quote yourself which makes your above statement a bit dishonest. What you actually said in your original post is If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?
Since YOU are the one who said we can rely on scripture alone please show me in scripture which books belong in our bible?
A heretic is a person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted. Is sola Scriptura generally accepted by all Christians?
Who has the authority to call someone a heretic? IHS...Mary

Here is the entire OP with heading question;

Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture
alone, without additions from, e.g., tradition or development.

Sola Scriptura was/is a founding principle for protestant Christians and is found as a principle in scripture itself;
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that
the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

Can you show where I state ["we can rely on scripture alone"] in the above OP copy.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sola Scriptura
sola Fide IHS...Mary

sola scriptura
The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,” “ground,” “base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). What is sola scriptura?

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

It would appear that there can be no debate that scripture asserts the meaning of sola scriptura. Of course one could defy God's word that scripture does not contain what is needed that a man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Reactions: FHII

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the entire OP with heading question;

Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture
alone, without additions from, e.g., tradition or development.

Sola Scriptura was/is a founding principle for protestant Christians and is found as a principle in scripture itself;
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that
the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

Can you show where I state ["we can rely on scripture alone"] in the above OP copy.
I already did: If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

ONLY you can clear this up real quick. Do you believe that your faith and the practice of your faith can and MUST be established from scripture alone without additions from tradition or development?

IHS...Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed.
Now here is a bit tougher one if you enjoy as I do the searching of scripture, there are 2 more references that can be found in Ezekiel. 1 is in Ezekiel 11 and 1 in Ezekiel 36 that most people never catch.
Stop now! Enough already! I know that you speak of 11:19 along 36:26-27, no more.

God is already working in me for other things. Thank you for your kindness and let us let it be so.

Give God the glory! Who else is worthy? Not me!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sola scriptura
The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,” “ground,” “base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). What is sola scriptura?

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

It would appear that there can be no debate that scripture asserts the meaning of sola scriptura. Of course one could defy God's word that scripture does not contain what is needed that a man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Hi KBCid,

It would appear to you that way. But this debate has only been going on for 500 years. Christianity is a little bit older than that. You accept the protestant tradition. I don't. :)

I agree with you that scripture is profitable for instruction. Here is an instruction from scripture: And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”

How is it possible that all we need is scripture alone if we also need apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers for our perfecting?

If scripture was all we needed then why did man debate what scripture is? Wouldn't it be self evident in scripture? If scripture is so clear why are there hundreds of different doctrines about the same subject in thousands of different churches that all claim to be guided by the Holy Spirit?

Here is some more instruction for you: Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle” In the great commission Jesus said to teach them to obey all that I have commanded you. He DIDN'T say to write it down. Scripture specifically says that what He taught was not all written down (John 21:25) which leaves room for tradition and oral teachings.

Did you forget that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation? Did you forget that the Church is the pillar and ground of Truth? If your brother sins against you, take it to the Church. The Church will then decide if you or your brother is right or wrong. Scripture doesn't say scripture will decide who is right or wrong. Scripture doesn't say that scripture binds in heaven what is bound on earth. It says whatever YOU (man) bind on earth is bound in heaven.

Sola Scriptura is a tradition started by man 500 years ago. Hold fast to your 500 year old tradition. I will hold to my 2,000 year tradition.

IHS...Mary

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already did: If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?
ONLY you can clear this up real quick. Do you believe that your faith and the practice of your faith can and MUST be established from scripture alone without additions from tradition or development? IHS...Mary

The real quick answer here is that a question cannot be a question and also be a statement. the use of words in sentences such as "if" and "were" followed at the end of a sentence by a "?" indicate in the English language that a question is being asked and not a statement being made.

Definition of 'if'
1. conjunction
You use if in conditional sentences to introduce the circumstances in which an event or situation might happen, might be happening, or might have happened. She gets very upset if I exclude her from anything. You can go if you want.

Definition of were
past tense second-person singular, past tense plural, and past subjunctive of be
Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary

Question Mark Definition, Punctuation and Examples
How to Use a Question Mark
The question mark is an interesting grammatical device which can be used in a few different ways, though it is most often seen at the end of direct questions. Whether writing correspondence or completing academic assignments, you may find yourself wondering how to use question marks correctly. Here is a brief guide to help you get started.

Use question marks when writing direct questions such as those in the following examples.
How are you?
Where can I find a bargain on a good laptop?
What did you think of the movie?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The real quick answer here is that a question cannot be a question and also be a statement. the use of words in sentences such as "if" and "were" followed at the end of a sentence by a "?" indicate in the English language that a question is being asked and not a statement being made.

Definition of 'if'
1. conjunction
You use if in conditional sentences to introduce the circumstances in which an event or situation might happen, might be happening, or might have happened. She gets very upset if I exclude her from anything. You can go if you want.

Definition of were
past tense second-person singular, past tense plural, and past subjunctive of be
Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary

Question Mark Definition, Punctuation and Examples
How to Use a Question Mark
The question mark is an interesting grammatical device which can be used in a few different ways, though it is most often seen at the end of direct questions. Whether writing correspondence or completing academic assignments, you may find yourself wondering how to use question marks correctly. Here is a brief guide to help you get started.

Use question marks when writing direct questions such as those in the following examples.
How are you?
Where can I find a bargain on a good laptop?
What did you think of the movie?
I have a dictionary. I still don't have answer to my question: Do you believe that your faith and the practice of your faith can and MUST be established from scripture alone without additions from tradition or development?

IHS...Mary

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KBCid said:
sola scriptura

Hi KBCid, It would appear to you that way. But this debate has only been going on for 500 years. Christianity is a little bit older than that. You accept the protestant tradition. I don't.

Interesting... you can't seem to stop either putting words in my mouth or statements in my questions or my faith into a defined category. Show me where I have ever stated that I am part of any specified sect of Christianity. Go ahead read every post I have ever made.
Better yet here is another QUESTION Can a person be a Christian and yet not be associated with any defined sect? <----question
I have no debate about whether scripture contains everything God wants me to have. God has stated that it does, so if you would like to have a debate about the validity of God's "STATEMENT" then you should take it up with God. I know that I will not be questioning them.

I agree with you that scripture is profitable for instruction.
Here is an instruction from scripture: And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”
How is it possible that all we need is scripture alone if we also need apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers for our perfecting?

Does scripture say that if you don't have everything on that list that you can't be perfected or does it really say that these types of persons are a gift given to help others?

surely it does say all that about instruction and I don't question it but I will counter with;
1 Timothy 4J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
4 1-2 God’s Spirit specifically tells us that in later days there will be men who abandon the true faith and allow themselves to be spiritually seduced by teachings of the devil, teachings given by men who are lying hypocrites, whose consciences are as dead as seared flesh.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Now all you need to do is define who those people spoken about in scripture are since I am in fact seeking them even now. Does it tell you who they are in scripture? <---Question

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting... you can't seem to stop either putting words in my mouth or statements in my questions or my faith into a defined category. Show me where I have ever stated that I am part of any specified sect of Christianity. Go ahead read every post I have ever made.
Better yet here is another QUESTION Can a person be a Christian and yet not be associated with any defined sect? <----question
I have no debate about whether scripture contains everything God wants me to have. God has stated that it does, so if you would like to have a debate about the validity of God's "STATEMENT" then you should take it up with God. I know that I will not be questioning them.

Does scripture say that if you don't have everything on that list that you can't be perfected or does it really say that these types of persons are a gift given to help others?

surely it does say all that about instruction and I don't question it but I will counter with;
1 Timothy 4J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
4 1-2 God’s Spirit specifically tells us that in later days there will be men who abandon the true faith and allow themselves to be spiritually seduced by teachings of the devil, teachings given by men who are lying hypocrites, whose consciences are as dead as seared flesh.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Now all you need to do is define who those people spoken about in scripture are since I am in fact seeking them even now. Does it tell you who they are in scripture? <---Question

A person can be a Christian and not be associated with a defined sect.

They still have to go to The Church that Jesus established to know The Truth. Because, as you know, The Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth.

Which Church is that?

IHS...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the one made of Living Stones, right? :)
Or the one that we are to go to when our brother sins against us. The one that decides if he is to be treated like a pagan or tax collector, just like scripture says to do.

Or the Church that the gates of hell will not prevail against and whatever it binds and loosens on earth will be done so in Heaven also. You know the that one? It is the pillar and foundation of truth, just like scripture says.

The Church that has bishops, prebysters, ministers, prophets etc. just like scripture says. They are the living stones of The Church.

IHS.....