Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who will you believe, false prophets like Shambaugh or the Bible?

I am working those Schambach videos to 100 million views, and they have been watched worldwide.

D

Dave L

Testimonies told it all! And he does preach out of the Bible....

You exploit the prayer of faith equating it with the expired charismatic gifts that shysters like Shambaugh use to fleece the unlearned.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, God responds in different ways. Recall for the still small voice with which He spoke to Elijah [I King 19:12]? To him God did not speak through the wind or the earthquake or the fire... at least not at that time, but He does use those and probably a multitude of other ways to communicate with men or with His sheep. Are we not His sheep?

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." John 10:4

Jesus communicated in parables, but who was able to hear and understand Him? Who was not?
Thanks, trying to understand. Do you understand what your saying when you speak in tongues?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt if you would be exercising what you think is a gift had you not had prior involvement with those advocating it. In Acts, they knew nothing of it. And if it were not because of your indoctrination, the whole church would be doing it. Not just what began as a few obscure sects.
You doubt? I glad you did not say that you knew. Every place that I have been God has called me out of... That is because they were all in their measure, in Babylon or confusion. Anyone who retains any measure of confusion in him... including me still needs to be called the rest of the way out, but you are not the caller nor am I!

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Rev 18:4

Whose voice was that?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, trying to understand. Do you understand what your saying when you speak in tongues?
Sometimes, but I don't need to. I am talking to God and He helps me to pray the right prayer at the right time. Often we cannot do that when we are directing ourselves:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

God does talk to me. Sometimes He's done it through another person and sometimes He's spoken to my heart. As one of His sheep should
we not always hear and understand Him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You exploit the prayer of faith equating it with the expired charismatic gifts that shysters like Shambaugh use to fleece the unlearned.
Is Shambaugh a shyster, that is, a deceptive or unscrupulous person? Do you know this from personal experience or are you listening to someone else's words?

Reactions: rockytopva
D

Dave L

Is Shambaugh a shyster, that is, a deceptive or unscrupulous person? Do you know this from personal experience or are you listening to someone else's words?
Why did he have a quadruple by-pass if he practices what he preaches?

D

Dave L

You doubt? I glad you did not say that you knew. Every place that I have been God has called me out of... That is because they were all in their measure, in Babylon or confusion. Anyone who retains any measure of confusion in him... including me still needs to be called the rest of the way out, but you are not the caller nor am I!

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Rev 18:4

Whose voice was that?
God does not speak as readily as you assume. Why did the apostles cast lots to pick Matthias? Wouldn't God have given Apostle direct revelation?

D

Dave L

Where does the Bible say that?
It's obvious we still have pastors and teachers, evangelists and the like. But the Charismatic gifts expired with the apostles that passed them around through their hands.

D

Dave L

“Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.” (1 Corinthians 13:8)

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, tongues will cease. What kind of moron would think Paul speaks of the end of the world when everything will cease anyway?

It says when all else is done love will still be there. When time ends love will still be there.
1 Corinthians 13:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.