Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

It says when all else is done love will still be there. When time ends love will still be there.
1 Corinthians 13:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
God IS love and love is eternal.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did he have a quadruple by-pass if he practices what he preaches?
I did not say the man was already an overcomer of the world in all respects as was Jesus. How would I know that? How would you know that he was not?

You did not answer my questions at all. You only asked another one which only raised a point which likely would apply to most or all ministers and most or all saints of God today. Are they all to be ignored completely because they make mistakes. That being the case there is probably no one on this forum or anywhere else we should ever be listening to...Or?

It may or may not be appropriate at times to put down a person on this forum who is able to respond, but how you can defend standing in judgment over someone has never been on this forum and in this case one who died several years ago [RW Shambaugh died in 2012] and thus will never have an opportunity to respond?

Reactions: bbyrd009

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say the man was already an overcomer of the world in all respects as was Jesus. How would I know that? How would you know that he was not?

You did not answer my questions at all. You only asked another one which only raised a point which likely would apply to most or all ministers and most or all saints of God today. Are they all to be ignored completely because they make mistakes. That being the case there is probably no one on this forum or anywhere else we should ever be listening to...Or?

It may or may not be appropriate at times to put down a person on this forum who is able to respond, but how you can defend standing in judgment over someone has never been on this forum and in this case one who died several years ago [RW Shambaugh died in 2012] and thus will never have an opportunity to respond?

Unless essential, when a person dies, they go to God's hands and beyond us.

Like with Trump and McCain. Unless essential Trump should leave McCain in God's hands.

As a fellow Vet from that war I will not speak in ill word McCain. As a politician, I couldn't stand him.

But now those are just empty meaningless words.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not speak as readily as you assume. Why did the apostles cast lots to pick Matthias? Wouldn't God have given Apostle direct revelation?

You should not presume you know how God will answer or whether or not He will.

The casting of lots WAS letting God reveal His choice. This usage of lots was also used to the OT in order to hear from God. Men may look to casting lots as a thing of chance, but for God who knows the answer already it is NOT a gamble. He really knows every answer and when the time is correct He will answer in the way that He will...

"Therefore Saul said unto the LORD God of Israel, Give a perfect lot. And Saul and Jonathan were taken: but the people escaped.
And Saul said, Cast lots between me and Jonathan my son. And Jonathan was taken." I Sam 14:41-42

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless essential, when a person dies, they go to God's hands and beyond us.

Like with Trump and McCain. Unless essential Trump should leave McCain in God's hands.

As a fellow Vet from that war I will not speak in ill word McCain. As a politician, I couldn't stand him.

But now those are just empty meaningless words.
I also am veteran of Viet Nam!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What distinguished the Methodist of the 1800's and the Pentecostal Holiness of the 1900's was an experience called sanctification. You are saved by acknowledging and inviting Christ Jesus into the heart... But they would have you attend the many revivals and spend time around the altar in prayer before they would allow you to claim sanctification. When you came through to sanctification you would possess a sweet, loving, Christ like spirit, such as we had in Charles Stanley. When you got sanctified they would tell you that the baptism was not that far away. The place to pick up sanctification was also known as the mourners bench back in the 1800's. After hearing a message with conviction behind the pulpit the parishioners would gather around the altar for prayer...

mournersbench2.jpg

Sanctification was also picked up with love, warmth, and a Walton like spirit. If you had not this spirit the old timers would tell you that you don't have it yet... Come back tomorrow night! And smile a little as they would say it. The old timers used to say that the first person to know you have been sanctified were the family pets. Instead of kicking them you would show them love and affection. An old story goes of a farmer seeking sanctification. He gets angry at his horse for not plowing straight wind-rows and begins to whip his horse. His wife then hollers out the screen door, "Not yet honey! Not yet!" Knowing that such a spirit could not have experienced sanctification.

Baptist evangelist and minister Charles Stanley tells about the old Pentecostal Holiness here... Enduring Witness... And the kind of experience that his grandfather kept up in his lifetime.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.” (1 John 4:16)
Hoping the said love is an actual spiritual experience and not a mere mental definition

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. - James 5:14-15

I would not want a cessationalist praying for me knowing the spiritual unbelief would negate any prayers my way.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T
D

Dave L

You should not presume you know how God will answer or whether or not He will.

The casting of lots WAS letting God reveal His choice. This usage of lots was also used to the OT in order to hear from God. Men may look to casting lots as a thing of chance, but for God who knows the answer already it is NOT a gamble. He really knows every answer and when the time is correct He will answer in the way that He will...

"Therefore Saul said unto the LORD God of Israel, Give a perfect lot. And Saul and Jonathan were taken: but the people escaped.
And Saul said, Cast lots between me and Jonathan my son. And Jonathan was taken." I Sam 14:41-42
If I cannot trust scripture to tell me how God speaks and under what conditions, certainly today's impostors of the early church cannot.

D

Dave L

These people are phonies from the get go.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A time one never forgets.

For honesty, I worked in intelligence, so was never allowed in country. But I saw my share of death, pain and mutilation.

Salute, bro!
Salute!
I was a microwave radio repairman at the beginning of the real combat role of USA from Aug 1964 to Aug 1965. I had two friends with the same job as me killed by the "enemy" while "off duty".

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What distinguished the Methodist of the 1800's and the Pentecostal Holiness of the 1900's was an experience called sanctification. You are saved by acknowledging and inviting Christ Jesus into the heart... But they would have you attend the many revivals and spend time around the altar in prayer before they would allow you to claim sanctification. When you came through to sanctification you would possess a sweet, loving, Christ like spirit, such as we had in Charles Stanley. When you got sanctified they would tell you that the baptism was not that far away. The place to pick up sanctification was also known as the mourners bench back in the 1800's. After hearing a message with conviction behind the pulpit the parishioners would gather around the altar for prayer...

mournersbench2.jpg

Sanctification was also picked up with love, warmth, and a Walton like spirit. If you had not this spirit the old timers would tell you that you don't have it yet... Come back tomorrow night! And smile a little as they would say it. The old timers used to say that the first person to know you have been sanctified were the family pets. Instead of kicking them you would show them love and affection. An old story goes of a farmer seeking sanctification. He gets angry at his horse for not plowing straight wind-rows and begins to whip his horse. His wife then hollers out the screen door, "Not yet honey! Not yet!" Knowing that such a spirit could not have experienced sanctification.

Baptist evangelist and minister Charles Stanley tells about the old Pentecostal Holiness here... Enduring Witness... And the kind of experience that his grandfather kept up in his lifetime.
My earliest Pentecostal Holiness connection was through my paternal grandmother who started her attendance with them in Oklahoma City in 1913.

When the women started wearing make up and cutting their hair and wearing pants, she held to the old ways until her death in 1985 just short of her 94th birthday. I was never in it because my mother took me to California as a toddler to become Catholic, but visiting my father yearly in Oklahoma I became a strange mixture of the two. God's Ways are mysterious, are they not?

Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I cannot trust scripture to tell me how God speaks and under what conditions, certainly today's impostors of the early church cannot.
So don't trust the imposters, but do not presume that person who does not agree with you on every point is an imposter. I would disagree with me if the me of today were to meet the me of 40 years ago. Jesus grew and so must we grow until we run out of time.

The scripture when is it understood can be trusted, but who understands as God wants them to understand all that men wrote as inspired by God to do so?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These people are phonies from the get go.
Your presumption and condemnation of others may result badly for you...

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" Matt 7:1-3

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salute!
I was a microwave radio repairman at the beginning of the real combat role of USA from Aug 1964 to Aug 1965. I had two friends with the same job as me killed by the "enemy" while "off duty".

I was a CT. Never more than a few hundred of us in the world at any one time.

I had a top level security clearance of top-secret crypto code word. Means I could see everything.

When I first arrived on Guam one guy was two weeks away from going home. He was sniped off a motorcycle at the front gate.

I was there during tent city and all those issues.

Funny how things change. Vietnam, as you well know, today no way resembles back then. With technology changes what I did was merged with some other jobs. Guam is now a reserve training base. RAF Edzel, Scotland, is now an airport and housing complex. HQ in Virginia is now homeland security HQ. Several bases are gone.

You would probably appreciate what our antennas looked like.

Military Memories - Royal Air Force (RAF) Base, Edzell

The Scottish were great people. When the base closed they even erected a monument. We also got a tartan.

USN Tartan.jpg

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was one of our antennas, a canvas balloon bag lined with silver. We had two facing north to Hue and two facing south to Quangnai. When I first arrived in the country we went off the air long enough to raised the tower on which they were attached from 40 feet to 60 feet to improve reception.VN Danag 29-37 Aug64p, 1-10 Oct 64z0017.jpg