Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes he does - so how do you know you are standing in the truth?

Hint - there are a few things satan will not do...
You mean CANNOT do and that is kill a child of God. But ultimately, Satan has nothing and can't do anything towards God's child.

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS RESIST THE DEVIL AND HE WILL FLEE FROM ME
! This is Jesus' promise if you didn't know it already.

To God Be The Glory

Paul doesn't agree with you...

1 Corinthians 5:5
I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

This passage has nothing to do with with the issue at hand. Are you saying there are contradictions in Scripture? God forbid! The setting of your account is found in 1 Corinthians 5:1 and for you to understand the meaning you must read the whole chapter.

1 Corinthians 5 is a different issue from James 4:7. Lol

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me anywhere in Scripture what it says (or even suggests) that Satan coming as an angel of light, mimicking Jesus. You are helping Satan, whether you realize it or not.
Read and learn, 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 reads:
13) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

To God Be The Glory

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This passage has nothing to do with with the issue at hand. Are you saying there are contradictions in Scripture? God forbid! The setting of your account is found in 1 Corinthians 5:1 and for you to understand the meaning you must read the whole chapter.

1 Corinthians 5 is a different issue from James 4:7. Lol

You said "Satan has nothing and can't do anything towards God's child...."

I quoted Scripture that disputes your claim.

Have a great day.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Carl Emerson, post: 1375874, member: 18326"]Have a great day[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for your misinterpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:5. And this is your problem. I urge you to read verse 5 again and again, word for word until you get the gist. Better yet, ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and wisdom.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Carl Emerson, post: 1375874, member: 18326"]Have a great day

I'm sorry for your misinterpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:5. And this is your problem. I urge you to read verse 5 again and again, word for word until you get the gist. Better yet, ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and wisdom.

To God Be The Glory[/QUOTE]

You are playing the 'holier than thou' game beautifully...

How about you give your spin on 1 Cor 5:5. ???

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a single person understands a single word of the gibberish being spoken in some religions, its a scam. I would guarantee those religions make one give a tithe even though a teaching from Jesus shows it was done away with and God wants out of the heart not a written Law.

This is nonsense.

a) Speaking in tongues is a gift from God. I have it and use it as do many others. If you don't accept that, who cares?
b) The you go on to criticize "those religions" -- whatever that means -- that "make one give a tithe". This is absurd, vague, and illogical.
c) What does "God wants out of the heart not a written Law" mean?

Your whole post is absurd!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory

How about you give your spin on 1 Cor 5:5. ???[/QUOTE]

How is Carl's discussing the interpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:5 "playing the 'holier than thou' game beautifully"?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How about you give your spin on 1 Cor 5:5. ???

I asked you first. After you've interpreted 1 Corinthians 5:5 in your own wisdom, then I'll give my interpretation by the Holy Spirit.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Jim B, post: 1376052, member: 8849"]How is Carl's discussing the interpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:5 "playing the 'holier than thou' game beautifully"?[/QUOTE]

Carl said that to me and not vice versa.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is nonsense.

a) Speaking in tongues is a gift from God. I have it and use it as do many others. If you don't accept that, who cares?
b) The you go on to criticize "those religions" -- whatever that means -- that "make one give a tithe". This is absurd, vague, and illogical.
c) What does "God wants out of the heart not a written Law" mean?

Your whole post is absurd!

Its a fact-In the NT speaking in tongues was speaking a foreign language, Not gibberish. Those speaking those foreign languages did not know the languages prior, the holy spirit guided those words so the foreigners could hear the good news of Gods kingdom and king.

Reactions: JunChosen

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its a fact-In the NT speaking in tongues was speaking a foreign language, Not gibberish. Those speaking those foreign languages did not know the languages prior, the holy spirit guided those words so the foreigners could hear the good news of Gods kingdom and king.

That is simply your (wrong) interpretation. Should I believe you or Paul?

As I wrote earlier, I prayed for and received the gift of tongues. I have used my prayer language daily for many years.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is simply your (wrong) interpretation. Should I believe you or Paul?

As I wrote earlier, I prayed for and received the gift of tongues. I have used my prayer language daily for many years.

You are in error

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So sorry for you! Read again and again 1 Co. 14:22. Many in Christendom have no idea what is the nature and character of the "phenomenon of tongues."

The child of God is given the gift of tongues only in the church setting so that the whole congregation MAY BE EDIFIED. But if there is no interpreter speaker must remain silent! This is the methodology by which the PHENOMENON OF TONGUES!!! is utilized. Lol

A child of God does NOT ask or pray to God for "Tongues" BECAUSE it is GIVEN!

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long have you been walking with Jesus?
What has my walk with the Lord Jesus to do with the subject at hand? If you must know; in eternity past long before the foundation of the world.

Proof? If I had died as a baby I would have gone to be with my Lord Jesus!
2 Corinthians 5:8.

Can you say the same for yourself?

To God Be The Glory

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures never call tongues a gift. In every English and Greek version of the scriptures that I know of, tongues is unambiguously called a manifestation. A manifestation is not the same thing as a gift.

Regardless of how one feels about whether tongues is valid today or not, at least we ought to know what it is before making that decision.

Acts 2:38,

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

The gift is holy spirit which is not the same thing as tongues. Now spirit can not be seen, heard, smelled, tasted or touched. It is not registered by any of the five senses in the material world.

John 3:6,

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.​

John 3:8,

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.​

The word "wind" is the same Greek word used for spirit, pneuma. It is the word used in both John 3:6 and Acts 2:36. While spirit itself can not be seen, the effects of it's operations can be seen, i.e., it is manifested into the material world. We can't see wind, but when it is energized we can see the effects it has on trees. That is exactly what John said in verse 3:8.

1 Cor 12:7-10,

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:​

As the scriptures clearly say, tongues is but one of nine manifestations of the spirit.

As Peter said on the day of Pentecost, anyone who repents and accepts Jesus as their Lord and believes God raise him from the dead (Rom 9-10), will receive the gift of holy spirit. That gift is the very essence of being born again. It is Christ in you (Col 1:27), the hope of future glory. It is the incorruptible seed of 1 Pet 1:23. All born again Christians have the gift.

Now that gift, that power from on high (Luk 24:29), is completely under the control of the believer. It can lay dormant in which case it's power will lay dormant. Or, by the believer's free will, it can be energized in nine different ways as listed in 1 Cor 12:7-10. When that is done, its full potential power is realized and manifested into the physical world. For example, tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy are manifestations that can be heard by anyone with ears. The invisible gift of spirit is manifested in the physical world when any one of the nine manifestations are operated by the believer.

As I said, regardless of how one feels about tongues, I think we at least owe God the practice of calling tongues what He calls them, i.e., a manifestation, not a gift.

I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are.

Look, we wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual powers from on high (Eph 6:12). Would it not stand to reason that we need spiritual power to wrestle against spiritual power? Of course it does, and those powers are none other than the nine manifestations of the gift of holy spirit. Ephesians 6:17 tells us to take the sword of the spirit. A sword simply hanging on one's belt, will do nothing when facing an attack by someone who is actually swinging their sword towards your head. To defeat such an enemy it is necessary to take the sword out of its sheath and actually start swinging, to start using its potential, to makes its power manifested to the enemy's, the devil's, head!

Just wondering if you can comment on what impact on the operation of tongues in church this view would have???