Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it is hard to see, but verse 25 is just the end of the verses from 14 about the struggle keeping the law. You see verse 25 says nothing about the Spirit, so that is still Old Covenant. The next verse is the beginning of the verses on the Spirit. Romans 8:1-9

Can you expound on Romans 8:1-9? And, after that, can you answer this question, "Do you still sin after your conversion?"

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two types of tongues noted in scripture. One type is unknown tongues and the other type is known tongues. Unknown tongues are prevalent to all believers and known tongues are for certain believers. 1 Corinthians 14 speaks of unknown tongues while 1 Corinthians 12 speaks of various known languages… Known tongues are aka Gift of tongues. These two types of tongues are not to be confused.

Sorry, but that started out sounding like you knew there were two types of UNKNOWN tongues, but you erroneously believe one is known tongues. And @Rich R agrees - I'm shocked! No they are both unknown to the speaker and to everyone around them. The ONLY way they are understood is by the supernatural gift of interpretation of tongues, otherwise it wouldn't be needed.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but that started out sounding like you knew there were two types of UNKNOWN tongues, but you erroneously believe one is known tongues. And @Rich R agrees - I'm shocked! No they are both unknown to the speaker and to everyone around them. The ONLY way they are understood is by the supernatural gift of interpretation of tongues, otherwise it wouldn't be needed.
exactly . paul made that very clear . NOTICE he says LET HIM who speaks in tongues PRAY that HE MAY INTERPRET .
WELL if it was a known langauge why would i have to pray to interpret the very thing that is coming OUT OF ME MOUTH .
Exactly . Too many folks are falling for a ruse that to speak in tongues simply means if i came speaking spanish to spanish speakers .
NOPE . Not at all what that means . The heavenly language itself is a language KNOWN TO GOD WHO INSPIRED IT
and revealed to those WHOM GOD once again GIVETH the INTERPRETATION unto . ITS the work of the SPIRIT and not of man .

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you expound on Romans 8:1-9? And, after that, can you answer this question, "Do you still sin after your conversion?"

Romans 8:1-9 and the whole chapter of Romans 6 should be studied together to get almost the complete teaching of the New Covenant. I say almost because neither explains why Romans 7:14-25 is no longer regarding us who have been born again of the Holy Spirit. What is missing is the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:31-34. This is absolutely necessary, and when you've experienced the new birth, you can then relate to verses like Romans 6:6-7 and Romans 8:1-9, and the whole chapter of 1 John 3. Those who have not experienced being born again can only relate to Romans 7:14-25 as their own experience, and Romans 6:6-7 and Romans 8:1-9 and especially 1 John 3 are too far-fetched for them to be taken seriously. 1 Corinthians 2:9-16 shows how their human reasoning will even mock the things of God and believe those who teach such supernatural aspects of being a Christian such as being free from sin, foolishness. Isn't that how you feel?

I'm 75. 45 years ago I had been going to church for 30 years, and still willfully sinned. In fact, at the end of those 30 years I was in a relationship with a married man and did not want to quit. Not one prayer was ever answered. My keys or wallet stayed lost. I had no divine protection (which is the meaning of the Hebrew idiom about serpents and poison in Mark 16:18) and was even raped twice; one of those times by a bona fide serial rapist who finally went to prison. I moved to Los Angeles and because of the studios, I dated many movie stars, directors and producers, and music industry recording artists. I still see old friends on TV or oldies but goodies radio all these years later. Nothing supernatural ever happened in my life to make me believe there even was a God. But I never went so far as to become an agnostic or atheist. But now I was actually breaking one of the Ten Commandments - adultery. That would send me to hell. So I started seeking God in a different way, and started searching for a church. And without telling you my whole testimony I found one and six months later saw a vision, God spoke to me 8 sentences that are seared into me, and was filled with His Spirit. While being filled I actually felt a heaviness leave my body. I know now it was my sin nature, and all desire to willfully sin left me. I still hear God's voice and we have established a relationship. So to answer your question, I no longer willfully sin, or commit things I need to repent from for the past 45 years. 1 John 1:9 is not a viscous cycle of sin/repent, sin/repent, sin/repent; it is to receive the Holy Spirit once and start growing in the fruit of the Spirit. Acts 2:38 is the sister verse to 1 John 1:9.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you believe Jeremiah 31:31-34 as the one covenant? The NEW COVENANT?
Yes, but not to a single gentile.

This unbreakable covenant is still futuristic and specifically to Israel and Judah.

We are merely pre-included in it in a dark glass viewing, partial way right now.

As a matter of fact, we have fooled ourselves into inadvertently proclaiming God lied to the fathers as we steal their promise via "replacement theology".

The modern day theologian has no idea what these promises were all about.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are God sanctioned unknown tongues that never get interpreted.

Unknown tongues are the human spirit praying to God as the carnal mind does not understand what is being said.

If you or I do not speak in unknown tongues, our spirit does not pray and we only pray with the carnal mind.

Think about it....

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries....

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:...

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but not to a single gentile.

This unbreakable covenant is still futuristic and specifically to Israel and Judah.

We are merely pre-included in it in a dark glass viewing, partial way right now.

As a matter of fact, we have fooled ourselves into inadvertently proclaiming God lied to the fathers as we steal their promise via "replacement theology".

The modern day theologian has no idea what these promises were all about.

No, the New Covenant took effect on the Day of Pentecost. It is the ministry of the Spirit. The Old Covenant was the ministry of sin and death. And yes, it was with Israel, but then God commanded that the unclean meats are no longer unclean and were then eligible to be born of the Spirit also and became grafted into the Israel. And yes, there is no truth in Replacement Theology. But there is a certain number of Gentiles that only God knows that will be saved referred to as the "fullness of the Gentiles", and then all national Israel will be saved (during the Great Tribulation). Romans 11:25-26.

The "dark glass viewing" is our knowing God, even with the Bible and the gifts of the Spirit. Therefore, the Bible was not the "perfect" of 1 Corinthians 13:10. Our going to heaven is when we will know God as He knows us now. 1 Corinthians 13:12. The perfect is our knowledge of God which is future, but not long now! He is coming soon!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the New Covenant took effect on the Day of Pentecost. It is the ministry of the Spirit. The Old Covenant was the ministry of sin and death. And yes, it was with Israel, but then God commanded that the unclean meats are no longer unclean and were then eligible to be born of the Spirit also and became grafted into the Israel. And yes, there is no truth in Replacement Theology. But there is a certain number of Gentiles that only God knows that will be saved referred to as the "fullness of the Gentiles", and then all national Israel will be saved (during the Great Tribulation). Romans 11:25-26.

The "dark glass viewing" is our knowing God, even with the Bible and the gifts of the Spirit. Therefore, the Bible was not the "perfect" of 1 Corinthians 13:10. Our going to heaven is when we will know God as He knows us now. 1 Corinthians 13:12. The perfect is our knowledge of God which is future, but not long now! He is coming soon!
No, the new covenant was not in full effect at Pentecost, nor will it ever be until Jesus returns to Israel and Judah per Jer 31.

This is all they/we get as we are included in their future covenant...

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are God sanctioned unknown tongues that never get interpreted.

Unknown tongues are the human spirit praying to God as the carnal mind does not understand what is being said.

If you or I do not speak in unknown tongues, our spirit does not pray and we only pray with the carnal mind.

Think about it....

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries....

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:...

What "carnal mind" are you speaking of for a Christian? That is the old man who was nailed to the cross of Jesus. We now have the mind of Christ 1 Corinthians 2:16.

The two tongues are individual without interpretation Mark 16:16-18, and the tongues for the profit of all in 1 Corinthians 12 which MUST be interpreted by someone with the office of interpreter. We all have individual prayer language, but not all have the office of tongues or the office of interpreter, 1 Cor. 12:30.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We definitely don't get this yet....

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the new covenant was not in full effect at Pentecost, nor will it ever be until Jesus returns to Israel and Judah per Jer 31.

This is all they/we get as we are included in their future covenant...

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Freedom from sin is NOW. Romans 6:6-7. I'm the least, and I know God.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What "carnal mind" are you speaking of for a Christian? That is the old man who was nailed to the cross of Jesus. We now have the mind of Christ 1 Corinthians 2:16.

The two tongues are individual without interpretation Mark 16:16-18, and the tongues for the profit of all in 1 Corinthians 12 which MUST be interpreted by someone with the office of interpreter. We all have individual prayer language, but not all have the office of tongues or the office of interpreter, 1 Cor. 12:30.
The carnal mind I speak of is our thought process.

It never left us after recieving the Holy Ghost.

It even prays carnal prayers.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The carnal mind I speak of is our thought process.

It never left us after recieving the Holy Ghost.

It even prays carnal prayers.

I only pray what God tells me to pray. And they are all answered. But I can always pray in the Spirit.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only pray what God tells me to pray. And they are all answered. But I can always pray in the Spirit.
You walk full time in the Spirit?

Paul never even accomplished that...

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say that? That is not true. I've heard many say that but they are wrong.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remission of sins is freedom from the condemnation of sin.

John said if a saint says has not sinned he is a ......

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 will be my sole defense before God when I hit eternity.