Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I guess you'd have to say I do feel guilty until I confess my sin to God. But I'll confess it as soon as I realize I did sin, so the guilt doesn't last long enough to make me feel too very bad.

Why do I go against my conscience in the first place?

Rom 7:20-25,

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.​

Of course, if all of this is taken to mean unsaved folks, it would mean nothing, but I don't see how this could be Paul talking about anything but his present state as a child of God, filled with holy spirit, but who still possesses the flesh in which no good thing dwells. I don't see how it could be construed as to mean anything else. I mean, does that natural man delight in the law of God? I don't think so, so at least verse 22 is not talking about the unsaved. It would seem quite odd of the other 5 verses here were talking about the unsaved. I think they are all talking about saved people who still have sinful flesh. The new birth is a new creation altogether. It's a spiritual creation. There is nothing God can do with the sinful flesh. That's precisely why He saved us via a new spiritual creation and not by giving us a "new and "improved" flesh. We'll get a new and improved flesh when Jesus comes back, but until then Romans 7 is very apropos.

I see you still like to take scripture out of context. Romans 7:20-25 is referring to those under the law of Moses, like Paul used to be as a Pharisee. In fact, from 14 - 25 is talking about the Jews before Jesus. Read verses 5-13 to see the beginning and see the difference between the LAW and the SPIRIT. Romans 8:2 shows Paul being freed from your verses 20-25. Verse 24 is Paul seeing that we need Jesus to free us, and that is the introduction to chapter 8. Verse 25 is the conclusion of those under the Law of Moses.

Rich you've held onto a lot of misinterpretations of Scripture. And those who misunderstand Romans 7, invariably will also be clueless about 1 John 1. That's two strikes. What else have you misunderstood?

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How you can be so obstinate in the face of truth. Not that I don't love you...I most certainly do. :)

I love you more!! I'm not obstinate. You're the one thinking it okay to not study to show yourself approved. Now THAT'S obstinance. 1 John 1:8 and 9 are to be read together. The unsaved who believe just keeping the law makes them righteous must still repent. Acts 2:38. And you want to use verse 9 which cleanses of ALL UNRIGTHEOUSNESS- which includes the sin nature, SO THAT WE CAN BE LIKE CHRIST, to sin with impunity. Romans 8:29-30 Jesus was the firstborn of MANY BRETHREN. In other words clones of Jesus. That is why 1 John 3:9 is true, or do you believe that is obstinance to believe it too? And don't be adding the word 'practice' in it either as your ilk like to do. That is corrupting the Word of God.

The truth is the gospel! It is not weak to cover up our sins as the doctrine you are believing has done to the Church. NO! It is the POWER OF GOD.

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

So stop spreading the lies of misinterpretation about Romans 7:14-25 and 1 John 1:6-10 The doctrine out of this misinterpretation are sending more people to hell than any other. Satan doesn't care if you believe in Jesus, just as long as you fail to obtain His power to stop sinning. I'm afraid for you. Jesus was afraid for those who first started this heresy. It is one of the most popular doctrines in the Church, and why you believe it is truth and can't understand why I don't believe it too. But it is not truth!. Jesus calls it death. I am among those who Jesus also addressed in the following verses Revelation 3:4-6

Look at Revelation 3:1-3
1 ‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love you more!! I'm not obstinate. You're the one thinking it okay to not study to show yourself approved. Now THAT'S obstinance. 1 John 1:8 and 9 are to be read together. The unsaved who believe just keeping the law makes them righteous must still repent. Acts 2:38. And you want to use verse 9 which cleanses of ALL UNRIGTHEOUSNESS- which includes the sin nature, SO THAT WE CAN BE LIKE CHRIST, to sin with impunity. Romans 8:29-30 Jesus was the firstborn of MANY BRETHREN. In other words clones of Jesus. That is why 1 John 3:9 is true, or do you believe that is obstinance to believe it too? And don't be adding the word 'practice' in it either as your ilk like to do. That is corrupting the Word of God.

The truth is the gospel! It is not weak to cover up our sins as the doctrine you are believing has done to the Church. NO! It is the POWER OF GOD.

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

So stop spreading the lies of misinterpretation about Romans 7:14-25 and 1 John 1:6-10 The doctrine out of this misinterpretation are sending more people to hell than any other. Satan doesn't care if you believe in Jesus, just as long as you fail to obtain His power to stop sinning. I'm afraid for you. Jesus was afraid for those who first started this heresy. It is one of the most popular doctrines in the Church, and why you believe it is truth and can't understand why I don't believe it too. But it is not truth!. Jesus calls it death. I am among those who Jesus also addressed in the following verses Revelation 3:4-6

Look at Revelation 3:1-3
1 ‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
I'm thinking maybe we are both obstinate! But probably better to say we are both faithful to what we know. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My theory, and it's nothing more than my theory, is that if they think it's a gift and they haven't been "privileged" to receive that gift, they are absolved from the responsibility of speaking in tongues much to edify themselves and others (when interpreted in the church).

If they don't like Corinthians, what about Jesus himself telling us we'd do the works he did? He did seven of the nine. Oh my...we don't want to lay that responsibility on the church. Sorry I brought it up. That's just way too much to ask. :)

I think you bring up some very valid point (truths) which just stuns me to a great degree ….Why?

Why would you not want to do this… I mean, what better way to know beyond a shadow of a doubt (according to Gods Word) that you are born again…

And then there are those who work so diligently … to try and prove it’s not available …Of coarse their points fall flat ….but, I am guessing it is probably for the same reason(s) you brought up.

I frequently tell the skeptics
Why not just give it a shot …just try ….what is the harm in it? Are you afraid that they might find out that Gods Word is true, and He will deliver on what He promises….

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So stop spreading the lies of misinterpretation about Romans 7:14-25 and 1 John 1:6-10 The doctrine out of this misinterpretation are sending more people to hell than any other.

I'm afraid you as well have the wrong interpretation of Romans 7:14-25. Paul in these verses is talking about his spirit/mind against his flesh/body. He is saying that he delights in the law of God (the part that is saved v.22), but in his body (the part that is NOT yet saved v.23) is warring against his mind.

So he cries out in v.24 "O wretched man that I am who shall deliver me from the body of his death?

You see, when a child of God dies, in his spirit essence he goes to be with the Lord in heaven (2 Cor. 5:8) but his body goes back to the dust (grave) to await his resurrection on the last day. Then his salvation will be complete (1 Co. 15:51-52).

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm afraid you as well have the wrong interpretation of Romans 7:14-25. Paul in these verses is talking about his spirit/mind against his flesh/body. He is saying that he delights in the law of God (the part that is saved v.22), but in his body (the part that is NOT yet saved v.23) is warring against his mind.

So he cries out in v.24 "O wretched man that I am who shall deliver me from the body of his death?

You see, when a child of God dies, in his spirit essence he goes to be with the Lord in heaven (2 Cor. 5:8) but his body goes back to the dust (grave) to await his resurrection on the last day. Then his salvation will be complete (1 Co. 15:51-52).

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

No, not his body, but his nature. Under the old covenant, they memorized all these laws and had them in their mind. But even with the laws in their mind, their nature/carnal flesh still wanted to sin. Paul is telling us what it was like under the law. That is chapter 7 of an 8 chapter teaching on the Law, vs. the Spirit. Chapter 8 is the culmination of the teaching and what the New Covenant is like as is chapter 6. You must not have read chapter 7 starting with verse 5, but still are reading 14-25 out of the context of those verse before it.

You must be going by your experience, and have never experienced the life-changing event of being born again of the Spirit. Those who have never been born again of the Spirit see Romans 7:14-25 as their own current experience. You and PinS need to ask God for His indwelling Spirit. Otherwise you don't belong to Christ. Romans 8:9.

Luke 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not his body, but his nature. Under the old covenant, they memorized all these laws and had them in their mind. But even with the laws in their mind, their nature/carnal flesh still wanted to sin. Paul is telling us what it was like under the law. That is chapter 7 of an 8 chapter teaching on the Law, vs. the Spirit. Chapter 8 is the culmination of the teaching and what the New Covenant is like as is chapter 6. You must not have read chapter 7 starting with verse 5, but still are reading 14-25 out of the context of those verse before it.

You must be going by your experience, and have never experienced the life-changing event of being born again of the Spirit. Those who have never been born again of the Spirit see Romans 7:14-25 as their own current experience. You and PinS need to ask God for His indwelling Spirit. Otherwise you don't belong to Christ. Romans 8:9.

Luke 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
Maybe consider that the difference between the OT law and NT grace is not that they had sinful flesh but we don't. We both have sinful flesh and sinful flesh sins. That's just what it does. The difference is that we in the NT have the option of walking by the spirit. We can choose to walk by the indwelling spirit or the flesh. They only had flesh. Why would God exhort us to walk by the spirit and not by the flesh?

Gal 5:16,

[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
G4043 περιπατέω peripateo (pe-riy-pa-te'-ō) v.
1. to tread all around, i.e. walk at large (especially as proof of ability).
2. (figuratively) to live, deport oneself, follow (as a companion or votary).

Our walk is not the same thing as the new birth. Just because you are someone's daughter, doesn't mean you always walked according to their will. You undoubtedly didn't with your earthly parents and you certainly don't always walk by God's will. I know that because you tell a brother to ask for something that God knows I (and PinS) already have. That is out of sync with God. You can deny it until hell freezes over, but you are calling evil what God calls good.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe consider that the difference between the OT law and NT grace is not that they had sinful flesh but we don't. We both have sinful flesh and sinful flesh sins. That's just what it does. The difference is that we in the NT have the option of walking by the spirit. We can choose to walk by the indwelling spirit or the flesh. They only had flesh. Why would God exhort us to walk by the spirit and not by the flesh?

Gal 5:16,

[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
G4043 περιπατέω peripateo (pe-riy-pa-te'-ō) v.
1. to tread all around, i.e. walk at large (especially as proof of ability).
2. (figuratively) to live, deport oneself, follow (as a companion or votary).

Our walk is not the same thing as the new birth. Just because you are someone's daughter, doesn't mean you always walked according to their will. You undoubtedly didn't with your earthly parents and you certainly don't always walk by God's will. I know that because you tell a brother to ask for something that God knows I (and PinS) already have. That is out of sync with God. You can deny it until hell freezes over, but you are calling evil what God calls good.

Don't forget what the book of Galatians is all about. It is about the Judaizers (Christian Jews) telling the Galatians that they must obey the laws of Moses and circumcision to actually be saved. Paul is telling the Galatians to not go back to the Law but to continue in the Spirit. Rich, to study the Bible you must read a whole book from the first chapter to the end of that particular book to understand the context. You've slipped up again my friend.

When we are truly born again we walk in the Spirit. Period. The Galatians, by going back under the law were falling from grace.

Galatians 5:
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not his body, but his nature.

Gee, you must know more than God, because Paul actually cried out and stated, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Did Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit say "body" or "nature?" What you are actually doing is change the nature (oops pardon the pun) of what Scripture has stipulated!!!

You must be going by your experience, and have never experienced the life-changing event of being born again of the Spirit.

How do you experience the life changing event of being born again, when Scripture say the opposite? John 3:3-12 reads:
08) The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
09) Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10) Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12) If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

I'm willing to wager you have no inkling at all as to the meaning of the Scripture above. And, if you do "get it" I'll apologize to everyone who posted on this thread.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gee, you must know more than God, because Paul actually cried out and stated, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"

He answered his own question in the 2nd verse of the next chapter. "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

Jesus freed Paul of the struggle of Romans 7:14-25. You would know that if you read this book in context instead of pulling out verses that are about pre-Jesus days. Romans 8 is about the New Covenant. You are still loving the Old Covenant verses in Romans 7 and are still bound to sin and death. Good luck with that!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He answered his own question in the 2nd verse of the next chapter. "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

I beg to differ. Paul answered Romans 7:24 at the very next verse, which reads:
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Why the difference between mind and body? BECAUSE when we became saved the first time, it was in our spirit or mind essence that was saved ONLY, and NOT in our body. This is the reason why we still sin after conversion and so Paul cries out in verse 24: "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? That is "the wages of sin is death." The very same way Adam and Eve have died.
Immediately, the very next verse 25, Paul gave his answer! But of course, we are not to forget Romans 8:1-6 as they are part of Scripture. In fact, ALL Scripture is inter-related from Genesis to Revelation. FOR the Bible is one cohesive whole!

And Jesus will say, "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
"

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures calls tongues a manifestation. In every English and Greek version of the scriptures that I know of, tongues is unambiguously called a manifestation. A manifestation is not the same thing as a gift.

Regardless of how one feels about whether tongues is valid today or not, at least we ought to know what it is before making that decision.

Acts 2:38,

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

The gift is holy spirit which is not the same thing as tongues. Now spirit can not be seen, heard, smelled, tasted or touched. It is not registered by any of the five senses in the material world.

John 3:6,

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.​

John 3:8,

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.​

The word "wind" is the same Greek word used for spirit, pneuma. It is the word used in both John 3:6 and Acts 2:36. While spirit itself can not be seen, the effects of it's operations can be seen, i.e., it is manifested into the material world. We can't see wind, but when it is energized we can see the effects it has on trees. That is exactly what John said in verse 3:8.

1 Cor 12:7-10,

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:​

As the scriptures clearly say, tongues is but one of nine manifestations of the spirit.

As Peter said on the day of Pentecost, anyone who repents and accepts Jesus as their Lord and believes God raise him from the dead (Rom 9-10), will receive the gift of holy spirit. That gift is the very essence of being born again. It is Christ in you (Col 1:27), the hope of future glory. It is the incorruptible seed of 1 Pet 1:23. All born again Christians have the gift.

Now that gift, that power from on high (Luk 24:29), is completely under the control of the believer. It can lay dormant in which case it's power will lay dormant. Or, by the believer's free will, it can be energized in nine different ways as listed in 1 Cor 12:7-10. When that is done, its full potential power is realized and manifested into the physical world. For example, tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy are manifestations that can be heard by anyone with ears. The invisible gift of spirit is manifested in the physical world when any one of the nine manifestations are operated by the believer.

As I said, regardless of how one feels about tongues, I think we at least owe God the practice of calling tongues what He calls them, i.e., a manifestation, not a gift.

I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are.

Look, we wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual powers from on high (Eph 6:12). Would it not stand to reason that we need spiritual power to wrestle against spiritual power? Of course it does, and those powers are none other than the nine manifestations of the gift of holy spirit. Ephesians 6:17 tells us to take the sword of the spirit. A sword simply hanging on one's belt, will do nothing when facing an attack by someone who is actually swinging their sword towards your head. To defeat such an enemy it is necessary to take the sword out of its sheath and actually start swinging, to start using its potential, to makes its power manifested to the enemy's, the devil's, head!
There are two types of tongues noted in scripture. One type is unknown tongues and the other type is known tongues. Unknown tongues are prevalent to all believers and known tongues are for certain believers. 1 Corinthians 14 speaks of unknown tongues while 1 Corinthians 12 speaks of various known languages… Known tongues are aka Gift of tongues. These two types of tongues are not to be confused.

Reactions: Rich R

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus freed Paul of the struggle of Romans 7:14-25. You would know that if you read this book in context instead of pulling out verses that are about pre-Jesus days. Romans 8 is about the New Covenant. You are still loving the Old Covenant verses in Romans 7 and are still bound to sin and death. Good luck with that!

I have great news for you....There is ONLY ONE covenant. The Old Testament believers look forward toward Jesus for their salvation, and the New Testament believers look back to their salvation. ONE COVENANT!

Jesus is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world! And this is the reason the Old Testament believers were able to become saved.

You see I don't need luck. All I have to know is how to read Scripture with the Holy Spirit teaching/guiding me. I stand on Holy ground.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Cassandra

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Paul answered Romans 7:24 at the very next verse, which reads:
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Why the difference between mind and body? BECAUSE when we became saved the first time, it was in our spirit or mind essence that was saved ONLY, and NOT in our body. This is the reason why we still sin after conversion and so Paul cries out in verse 24: "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? That is "the wages of sin is death." The very same way Adam and Eve have died.
Immediately, the very next verse 25, Paul gave his answer! But of course, we are not to forget Romans 8:1-6 as they are part of Scripture. In fact, ALL Scripture is inter-related from Genesis to Revelation. FOR the Bible is one cohesive whole!

And Jesus will say, "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
"

To God Be The Glory

I know it is hard to see, but verse 25 is just the end of the verses from 14 about the struggle keeping the law. You see verse 25 says nothing about the Spirit, so that is still Old Covenant. The next verse is the beginning of the verses on the Spirit. Romans 8:1-9

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have great news for you....There is ONLY ONE covenant. The Old Testament believers look forward toward Jesus for their salvation, and the New Testament believers look back to their salvation. ONE COVENANT!

Jesus is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world! And this is the reason the Old Testament believers were able to become saved.

You see I don't need luck. All I have to know is how to read Scripture with the Holy Spirit teaching/guiding me. I stand on Holy ground.

To God Be The Glory

There are two. "The New Covenant is not like the Old Covenant."

Jeremiah 31:
31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt,

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually. There is one covenant. We are adopted into that future covenant in a partial way. That covenant will be fulfilled to fathers of the nation of Israel at the return of Jesus Christ.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Instead of focusing on the word "law" maybe we should consider the significance of "the spirit of life" and "death."
I know it is hard to see, but verse 25 is just the end of the verses from 14 about the struggle keeping the law. You see verse 25 says nothing about the Spirit, so that is still Old Covenant. The next verse is the beginning of the verses on the Spirit. Romans 8:1-9
Do you realize that you are in a small minority? Not that numbers determine truth. I just wonder why you are so concerned about my salvation when there are billions who think the same way I do on this matter.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually. There is one covenant. We are adopted into that future covenant in a partial way. That covenant will be fulfilled to fathers of the nation of Israel at the return of Jesus Christ.

So do you believe Jeremiah 31:31-34 as the one covenant? The NEW COVENANT?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of focusing on the word "law" maybe we should consider the significance of "the spirit of life" and "death."

Do you realize that you are in a small minority? Not that numbers determine truth. I just wonder why you are so concerned about my salvation when there are billions who think the same way I do on this matter.

It's unfortunate when context matters so much. There really is no excuse. But Jesus even said that there are only a few who find it. So being in the minority/few is okay with me.

I worry less about your salvation than I do your teaching for others. You may be going to heaven, but your teaching can send others to hell.

What you teach is a prime example of what will be burned as in:

1 Corinthians 3:
15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Last edited: