Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is at the beginning, not in continuum. Do you get baptized everyday?
No, it qualified me for full time remission of all my sins 43 years ago.

If I cut up, the Holy Ghost chastens me since that event.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Holy Spirit qualifies you with power to no longer commit sins of willful lawlessness. But it is not a remission of willful sins you commit in the future. Only our past sins were forgiven, 2 Peter 1:9, and then our old man, the sin nature, was taken away Romans 6:6-7 and 1 John 3:5. After our sin nature was taken away God plants the fruit of the Spirit to grow and mature in us and by our fruit we are recognized as a Christian. Matthew 7

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you do in the event the Holy Ghost chastises you?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it is hard to see, but verse 25 is just the end of the verses from 14 about the struggle keeping the law. You see verse 25 says nothing about the Spirit, so that is still Old Covenant. The next verse is the beginning of the verses on the Spirit. Romans 8:1-9

Indeed verse 25 is difficult to see when one is not spiritual. The word "covenant" is really a synonym for the word "Gospel."

We read in 1 Corinthians 2:14-16:
14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15) But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16) For who hath known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

There are two. "The New Covenant is not like the Old Covenant."

Why do you not hear me, is it because your ears are dull in hearing? It's not that I did not give you the true meaning of the Old and New Covenants, have I? I know, it is difficult not to adhere to experiences as in your case, however, we live by faith and not by sight. God will not break His own rules. We are not to add or take away from His word. He has given us all the things that He wants us to know through His Scripture! Your experiences did not come from God, and if not, someone did accommodate you, and you know who that is as he comes looking and mimicking like the Lord Jesus, as he comes looking like an angel of light.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit qualifies you with power to no longer commit sins of willful lawlessness. But it is not a remission of willful sins you commit in the future. Only our past sins were forgiven, 2 Peter 1:9, and then our old man, the sin nature, was taken away Romans 6:6-7 and 1 John 3:5. After our sin nature was taken away God plants the fruit of the Spirit to grow and mature in us and by our fruit we are recognized as a Christian. Matthew 7
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Per Rom 7, our sin nature is not taken away, but overcome by the Holy Ghost.

The minute we cease to walk in the Spirit, the old man becomes powerful in us.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Per Rom 7, our sin nature is not taken away, but overcome by the Holy Ghost.

The minute we cease to walk in the Spirit, the old man becomes powerful in us.

You quoted 1 John 1:8 which is someone who obeys the laws but has never repented of their hidden sins such as coveting. Everyone without Christ still has their sin nature. The next verse is how to have the Holy Spirit of Christ who takes away all unrighteousness, even that at our core, our sin nature. Again Romans 7:14-25 is all about those still under the Law of Moses. They know the laws in their mind, but their sin nature fights against it. Only Jesus can take away that sin nature. Two verses later you find the answer to the sin problem: Romans 8:9 The law of the Spirit of Christ has freed me (Paul) from the law of sin and death (Romans 7:14-25 is the ministry of death). Start reading at Romans 7:5 and see the context. It is the Spirit. It is a comparison of the Old Law of Moses verses the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ.

Your verses completely contradict 1 John 3:5-9. Only someone in love with their own sin would choose to want to live with the defeat of your pet verses. In Jesus is victory! Your verses are all without Christ.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You quoted 1 John 1:8 which is someone who obeys the laws but has never repented of their hidden sins such as coveting. Everyone without Christ still has their sin nature. The next verse is how to have the Holy Spirit of Christ who takes away all unrighteousness, even that at our core, our sin nature. Again Romans 7:14-25 is all about those still under the Law of Moses. They know the laws in their mind, but their sin nature fights against it. Only Jesus can take away that sin nature. Two verses later you find the answer to the sin problem: Romans 8:9 The law of the Spirit of Christ has freed me (Paul) from the law of sin and death (Romans 7:14-25 is the ministry of death). Start reading at Romans 7:5 and see the context. It is the Spirit. It is a comparison of the Old Law of Moses verses the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ.

Your verses completely contradict 1 John 3:5-9. Only someone in love with their own sin would choose to want to live with the defeat of your pet verses. In Jesus is victory! Your verses are all without Christ.
The passage was written to the church.

It is an epistle to the saints.

Our sin nature is never removed as per Paul here...

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Did you know there is an ACTIVE war going on in you today?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The passage was written to the church.

It is an epistle to the saints.

Our sin nature is never removed as per Paul here...

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Did you know there is an ACTIVE war going on in you today?

I told you to start reading at verse 5 of Romans 7. You didn't so therefore are staying confused. Start over the right way this time.

A born again Christian is no longer in the "flesh." Paul uses flesh as meaning carnality which is the sin nature. Chapter 7 is the conclusion of an 8 chapter teaching of the difference between the Law (which causes us to sin), and the Spirit which ceases us from sinning.

Romans 7:5:
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.

Verse 14-25 is showing you what it was like WHEN we used to be in the flesh (with the sin nature, or old man) and Romans 8:1-9 shows what it is now like without the Law and in the Spirit.

Romans 8:
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told you to start reading at verse 5 of Romans 7. You didn't so therefore are staying confused. Start over the right way this time.

A born again Christian is no longer in the "flesh." Paul uses flesh as meaning carnality which is the sin nature. Chapter 7 is the conclusion of an 8 chapter teaching of the difference between the Law (which causes us to sin), and the Spirit which ceases us from sinning.

Romans 7:5:
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.

Verse 14-25 is showing you what it was like WHEN we used to be in the flesh (with the sin nature, or old man) and Romans 8:1-9 shows what it is now like without the Law and in the Spirit.

Romans 8:
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
The latter part of Romans 7 is past tense???...

Reactions: Rich R

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The latter part of Romans 7 is past tense???...

Truther all of this is WHEN they were IN THE FLESH. Not when they were IN THE SPIRIT. Read verse 5 again. That is us. After that is what it was like when we were in the flesh. We were wretched. But now we are free.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther all of this is WHEN they were IN THE FLESH. Not when they were IN THE SPIRIT. Read verse 5 again. That is us. After that is what it was like when we were in the flesh. We were wretched. But now we are free.
So, the 1st century Christians were instantly not in the flesh anymore and ceased sinning and had no sin nature after obeying Acts 2:38?

Is that possible?

Paul was merely reminiscing at the latter part of Rom 7?

You don't even have a sinful urge anymore?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, the 1st century Christians were instantly not in the flesh anymore and ceased sinning and had no sin nature after obeying Acts 2:38?

Is that possible?

Paul was merely reminiscing at the latter part of Rom 7?

You don't even have a sinful urge anymore?

Yes, that is what happens when the power of God who created the whole universe comes into you.

And yes, all that Paul wrote about those who were still living under the law and the struggle he knew from experience that they were wrestling with he claimed he was now free of in Romans 8:2 because of Jesus who he thanks. Truther, I congratulate you. I've shown many people the truth of what Paul is saying about the weakness of the law because of their old sin nature, but you are the FIRST one that seemed to understand what Paul is saying. Now accept it. If you are still struggling with sin and not easily walking in the Spirit, then read Luke 11:9-13. First admit to Jesus that even though you believe in Him you have not been empowered with His Spirit. Ask forgiveness for this oversight on your part and ask Him to fill you. I also asked Him to teach me what every verse in the New Covenant/Testament means, and it all became so clear it was mind boggling. Things I'd never heard preached anywhere. There is so much false doctrine in the Church and that is why Jesus said only a few ever find it. And if you are still struggling and never filled with the law of the Spirit then yes, it is wretched man that you are still. Just repeat after Paul...and be free like he became.

9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that is what happens when the power of God who created the whole universe comes into you.

And yes, all that Paul wrote about those who were still living under the law and the struggle he knew from experience that they were wrestling with he claimed he was now free of in Romans 8:2 because of Jesus who he thanks. Truther, I congratulate you. I've shown many people the truth of what Paul is saying about the weakness of the law because of their old sin nature, but you are the FIRST one that seemed to understand what Paul is saying. Now accept it. If you are still struggling with sin and not easily walking in the Spirit, then read Luke 11:9-13. First admit to Jesus that even though you believe in Him you have not been empowered with His Spirit. Ask forgiveness for this oversight on your part and ask Him to fill you. I also asked Him to teach me what every verse in the New Covenant/Testament means, and it all became so clear it was mind boggling. Things I'd never heard preached anywhere. There is so much false doctrine in the Church and that is why Jesus said only a few ever find it. And if you are still struggling and never filled with the law of the Spirit then yes, it is wretched man that you are still. Just repeat after Paul...and be free like he became.

9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
So, you have ceased from all carnal thoughts and sin?

You are perfect?

You even dream in the Spirit?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you have ceased from all carnal thoughts and sin?

You are perfect?

You even dream in the Spirit?

When we become born again our life makes a complete turn around supernaturally. And instead of thoughts about God that are on the back burner, now they are all you think about. It is like falling in love. He is never out of my thoughts and I can clearly hear His voice. And, yes, all desire to willfully sin are gone.

He then planted the seeds to the fruit of the Spirit within me and my ground was now fertile. Becoming perfect is what starts to take place after the sin nature is gone. The steps to perfection are found in 2 Peter 1:5-7. You will see how they almost match perfectly with the list of the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23. But read the whole context: 2 Peter 1:2-11. You see you can even grow out of failures in immature fruit. Those steps in 5-7 are what is called glorification. From glory to glory. And in verses 10-11 you can grow to never stumbling at all!

My dreams are wonderful.

But the maturity of the fruit of the Spirit didn't happen overnight. And some had to mature through great suffering, but through that God did bring me to a new level of obedience. Just know that it is happening for your good and never grumble. Just trust God completely and you will see a light at the end of the tunnel in your darkest days.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we become born again our life makes a complete turn around supernaturally. And instead of thoughts about God that are on the back burner, now they are all you think about. It is like falling in love. He is never out of my thoughts and I can clearly hear His voice. And, yes, all desire to willfully sin are gone.

He then planted the seeds to the fruit of the Spirit within me and my ground was now fertile. Becoming perfect is what starts to take place after the sin nature is gone. The steps to perfection are found in 2 Peter 1:5-7. You will see how they almost match perfectly with the list of the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23. But read the whole context: 2 Peter 1:2-11. You see you can even grow out of failures in immature fruit. Those steps in 5-7 are what is called glorification. From glory to glory. And in verses 10-11 you can grow to never stumbling at all!

My dreams are wonderful.

But the maturity of the fruit of the Spirit didn't happen overnight. And some had to mature through great suffering, but through that God did bring me to a new level of obedience. Just know that it is happening for your good and never grumble. Just trust God completely and you will see a light at the end of the tunnel in your darkest days.
You are the very first sin free person I have ever met in my life, and I have been around born again folks and I am born again since 1979.

You must be Jesus?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the very first sin free person I have ever met in my life, and I have been around born again folks and I am born again since 1979.

You must be Jesus?

All it takes is believing what the Word of God says and keeping yourself walking in the Spirit. Read 1 John 3. It is the life of a born again Christian.

Taking a break...

Make sure to read Romans 8:1-9
2 Peter 1:2-11
1 John 3.
Then John 15:7 will always happen for you. 100% of my prayers are answered as long as I never pray without FIRST hearing Him tell me WHAT to pray.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All it takes is believing what the Word of God says and keeping yourself walking in the Spirit. Read 1 John 3. It is the life of a born again Christian.

Taking a break...

Make sure to read Romans 8:1-9
2 Peter 1:2-11
1 John 3.
Then John 15:7 will always happen for you. 100% of my prayers are answered as long as I never pray without FIRST hearing Him tell me WHAT to pray.
What year is the last year you sinned?