• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

Right.

Standing for the truth of God will attract all kinds of unkind and blasphemous replies. I’m ready for it and am not shy to dish it back out.

Paul called the high priest a “whited wall” when he stood in judgment

“…God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?” (Acts 23:3)

Which echoes Christ’s own words:

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.” (Matthew 23:27)

Here are those verses in normal English (the kind we speak and write in every day, just as Jesus and Paul spoke in the normal languages of their day)...

Acts 23:3, "Then Paul said to him, “God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall! Do you sit there judging me according to the law, and in violation of the law you order me to be struck?”

Matthew 23:27, " “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of the bones of the dead and of everything unclean."

Paul called the high priest a “whitewashed wall” when he stood in judgment. And Jesus said "whitewashed tombs".

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I'm the guy that's got the juice to mow you down."

Don't laugh, it's a common fleshy pride.

Reactions: Jim B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 23:3, "Then Paul said to him, “God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall! Do you sit there judging me according to the law, and in violation of the law you order me to be struck?”
He had the appearance he wanted, but his actions betrayed his heart.

Much love!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He had the appearance he wanted, but his actions betrayed his heart.

Much love!

My post was to make Paul's comment reflect the type of words that he spoke (and those of Jesus also), not the content.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No he didn’t.

Reference the scripture please.

Acts 23:2-5 KJV
2) And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.
3) Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
4) And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest?
5) Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Much love!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2) And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.
3) Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
5) Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Much love!

Acts 23:5, translated: Paul replied, “I did not realize, brothers, that he was the high priest, for it is written, ‘You must not speak evil about a ruler of your people.’”

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, point being he wasn’t God’s true high priest. Christ is!

“…consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus” (Hebrews 3:1)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Paul knew the man was in authority as a ruler:

“And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.” (Acts 23:2)

Who has power to command other people other than those with authority over them?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul knew the man was in authority as a ruler:

“And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.” (Acts 23:2)

Who has power to command other people other than those with authority over them?
Paul said "I knew not . . .", I'm going with that.

Much love!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, point being he wasn’t God’s true high priest. Christ is!

“…consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus” (Hebrews 3:1)

The point is he was the high priest at the time and Paul corrected his inappropriate behavior. Why are you distorting what was said?

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said "I knew not . . .", I'm going with that.

Paul is being sarcastic.

Like Elijah:

“And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.” (1 Kings 18:27)

Are You going to “go with” Elijah here as well and conclude that Baal is a god??

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is being sarcastic.

Like Elijah:

“And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.” (1 Kings 18:27)
Why do you think Paul didn't mean what he said? The passage about Elijah is very different to me.

Much love!

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is being sarcastic.

Like Elijah:

Are You going to “go with” Elijah here as well and conclude that Baal is a god??

Paul is not being sarcastic.

From the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary of the New Testament...

Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people (23:5).
This is a direct quotation of Exodus 22:28. Paul genuinely feels regret about having violated this instruction from the law in spite of how he was wrongly treated. (Exodus 22:28, “You must not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.")

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you think Paul didn't mean what he said?

Because Paul would have known who the authority in the council was by observing the arrangement of the attendees. Paul was well versed in their customs having been a Pharisee himself.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Paul would have known who the authority in the council was by observing the arrangement of the attendees. Paul was well versed in their customs having been a Pharisee himself.

Acts 23:5, "Paul replied, “I did not realize, brothers, that he was the high priest, for it is written, ‘You must not speak evil about a ruler of your people.’”

He had not been in Jerusalem for a while and had never seen or met the high priest. Or you're claiming that Paul was lying!

Again, your lack the knowledge to make any meaningful statement.

Reactions: mailmandan