'Stewards of Grace': Don't let good devotionals replace the reading of God's Word itself

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks for the comments, ppl; I must admit that I myself have not listened to the video in its entirety, BUT I did think that Ms. Justine made a very good point about not letting good Christian writing get in the way of our reading Scripture itself.

I seem to remember a quote from the preachers Robert Murray M'Cheyne: "It is God's Word, and not man's comment on God's Word, which saves souls".

Reactions: Wynona

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In this video, Justine, the lady from 'Stewards of Grace' - her video blog - makes the excellent point about not letting devotionals - how ever good - replace the reading of Scripture itself.
That's good advice. And some devotionals do have some questionable things.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this video, Justine, the lady from 'Stewards of Grace' - her video blog - makes the excellent point about not letting devotionals - how ever good - replace the reading of Scripture itself.

I agree with you Al, John 3:16 is a great verse, in fact it says a lot, kinda summing up the Gospels, may I ask your take on it?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watched the whole video. She does say devotionals do not replace God's Word but she does promote certain devotionals over others. I thought she would focus more on prioritizing God's Word.

I suppose Ive read devotionals in the past and have rarely found them enriching. It's more like I read the page and forget about it five minutes later.

Ive gotten a lot more out of reading through the Bible a little each day to become familiar with it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It really speaks for itself; I'm not sure what else you may be referring to.

I agree, but we can learn a lot from that one verse sir. We see that God gave His son, who was the one who actually said this verse as well. So we can discern that God is not the son. We see that God did this out of Love for us. We learn that out of all of God's sons, Jesus is referred to as His only-begotten son, a distinction between all other beings. And since the verse states that those who believe in Jesus will not die, yet believers still die, so it must have more meaning to that as well.

That one verse can spurn one to investigate so much more as it opens as many questions as it answers. Kind of a unique verse that most people can quote, yet spend little time examining the meaning behind it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I watched the whole video. She does say devotionals do not replace God's Word but she does promote certain devotionals over others. I thought she would focus more on prioritizing God's Word.

I suppose Ive read devotionals in the past and have rarely found them enriching. It's more like I read the page and forget about it five minutes later.

Ive gotten a lot more out of reading through the Bible a little each day to become familiar with it.
@Wynona In Spurgeon's daily readings, he says in the preface not to let his writings replace the actual reading of the Word itself.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Which is so true...
Devotionals are good for applying to a real life example as it relates to scripture.
I had a Women's Study Bible a long time ago and throughout the Bible it would have a narrative of a testimony or example in real life and how that part of the Word applied to it.
i miss that bible.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Which is so true...
Devotionals are good for applying to a real life example as it relates to scripture.
I had a Women's Study Bible a long time ago and throughout the Bible it would have a narrative of a testimony or example in real life and how that part of the Word applied to it.
i miss that bible.
@Heart2Soul I remember a quote from Robert Murray M'Cheyne which says: "It is God's Word, and not man's comment upon God's Word, that saves souls." At the same time, commentaries can be helpful, both with background information and in applying the Word. Although in the end it is the Holy Spirit that truly applies the Word to our lives...