Stop blaming Satan, scripture for study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a preferred reference only, I like to tell an unsaved man about the story of the Pharisee and the publican in Luke 18:10-14(a) which reads
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified...
And as purely a point of clarification, the Pharisee attempted to practice "works-based salvation" - in other words, he attempted to exhibit what he thought were works of intrinsic value, then proceeded to derive self righteousness from them. Jesus said in Luke 17:10 KJV this is impossible, for salvation, Biblically speaking, is obtained by the sinner humbly choosing to BELIEVE in Jesus - a BELIEF in Jesus as both His Savior from sin and his Lord to obey unconditionally.

Most "Christians" want Jesus as their Savior from sin, but not their Lord to obey. They think they're on their way to heaven, but are in danger of being lost. How do they give themselves away? By sentiments such as:
  • "the law was nailed to the Cross!" while it is the ceremonial law alone which is nailed - the Ten Commandments "stand fast forever and ever and are done in truth and uprightness" - Psalms 111:7-8 KJV. We don't have to pay to redeem our firstborn anymore, but it will always be sin to lie or steal.
  • "the Two Great laws replace the Ten!" when in actuality the Two Great sum up the Ten and are upon which the Ten depend: if you love God you'll keep the first four, and if you love your neighbor, the last six.
  • "you can't keep the law!" when it's the sinner alone who can't keep the law even if he wanted to, according to Romans 8:7 KJV, while the Christian "can do all things through Christ Which strengtheneth me".
  • "the law was the old covenant!" but if this was true, we could swap "law" with "old covenant" in Romans 3:31 KJV: "Do we make void the (old covenant) through grace? God forbid. Yea, we establish the (old covenant)." Do Christians "establish the old covenant"? No. Therefore, while the old covenant is passed away, the Ten Commandments remain "forever and ever". The New Covenant contains the same laws and promises (Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV), but our faulty promises which caused the Old Covenant to fail are replaced with God's promise to send Jesus to live out His obedient life through us and give us credit for it (Galatians 2:20 KJV).
All this is why John said, "Hereby we do know that we know Him if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments is a liar and the truth (Jesus) is not in him." - 1 John 2:3-4 KJV

Last edited:
Reactions: JunChosen

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"the Two Great laws replace the Ten!" when in actuality the Two Great sum up the Ten and are upon which the Ten depend: if you love God you'll keep the first four, and if you love your neighbor, the last six.
How can you resolve the matter concerning the Two Great Commandments then, against with what we read in Romans 7:14-24? Would not the remedy be verse 25!

To God Be The Glory

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you resolve the matter concerning the Two Great Commandments then, against with what we read in Romans 7:14-24? Would not the remedy be verse 25!

To God Be The Glory
What's there to resolve exactly? The only reason anyone gets tripped up by Romans 7 is that they fail to apply the whole testimony of Paul to their thinking:

Romans 7:14-25 KJV is Paul's acknowledgement of the war that wages within the Christian - the former fleshly lusts of the natural man battling against the conscience of the spiritual man commanded by God to "go and sin no more".

Almost the entire Christian world claims verse 25 says we can serve two masters, the one in the flesh and the other in the spirit. This is a false interpretation, for "no man can serve two masters".

Verse 25 is the key to victory in this battle which is to "let this mind be in you which is in Christ Jesus" - our choice is to either serve the law of the spirit with the mind unto victory or serve the law of sin which leads to death. Isn't that what we read in Romans 6:16 KJV? Sure it is:

"..whether sin (with the flesh) unto death, or obedience (with the mind) unto righteousness".

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The letter is written to the twelve tribes of Israel. Which tribe are you from?
Doesn’t it have some type of spiritual application to a life lived in Christ Jesus? Have you ever read the book of James? yes it was to the twelve tribes scattered abroad living amongst gentile nations, you’re right.

I’m not part of any tribe, just simply a believer adopted into the family of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.