Strange teachings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are saved by the Living word of God
48 years later I still clearly remember the moment I was saved. And yes, I was saved by the living Word of God, Who lived, died, and was raised for my redemption. Strangely enough (pun intended), I had never in my life held a Bible, nor read one. But I knew that spring evening in 1976 that it was the presence of the Spirit of the living God who came to me in response to a simple prayer..."please make my life one you can approve of"... And I woke up several joyful hours later a different person. Yes,
KJV Hebrews 4:12-13
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
48 years later I still clearly remember the moment I was saved. And yes, I was saved by the living Word of God, Who lived, died, and was raised for my redemption. Strangely enough (pun intended), I had never in my life held a Bible, nor read one. But I knew that spring evening in 1976 that it was the presence of the Spirit of the living God who came to me in response to a simple prayer..."please make my life one you can approve of"... And I woke up several joyful hours later a different person. Yes,
KJV Hebrews 4:12-13
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
Lovely powerful testimony....Praise God!!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m sure this all makes sense to you.
Yes.
And as I indicated, we need to maintain a balanced view.

The enemy would like to use this to beat us down and shame us.
None of us is perfect. Our minds need to be governed by the Spirit,
not the mental self-defeating thoughts of not measuring up.

Some have gone even to the extreme of self-flagellation to conquer the flesh.
Ironically this is a flesh-motivated practice to defeat oneself. IMHO
It actually harms our soul. Trashes the one God loves so much,

A will surrendered is enough. Jesus is not our torturer.

/

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.
And as I indicated, we need to maintain a balanced view.

The enemy would like to use this to beat us down and shame us.
None of us is perfect. Our minds need to be governed by the Spirit,
not the mental self-defeating thoughts of not measuring up.

Some have gone even to the extreme of self-flagellation to conquer the flesh.
Ironically this is a flesh-motivated practice to defeat oneself. IMHO
It actually harms our soul. Trashes the one God loves so much,

A will surrendered is enough. Jesus is not our torturer.

/
Amen!

Reactions: St. SteVen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow Mark's, I am perplexed by your hypocrisy - do you know how many times you have jumped onto one of my posts? Do you want me to provide evidence?

I never took you for a hypocrite that's for certain!

F2F
No evidence, and no apology. Got it.

Much love!

Reactions: face2face

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just one strange teaching that this person believes is before Christ returns again, He will return in secret. (Their teacher says that is what "like a thief in the night" means.).

He returns in secret to speak more words to us....so that we may be purified. After that Jesus comes again.

The above is just one example of the strange teaching.
A blatant attack against the cross.

Much love!

Reactions: Debp

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The "true truth"?
As opposed to what? (the false truth?)
I hope that;s not a double negative.
Do double positives cancel each other out too?
Not sure.

/
I think most born again people would know what I meant. Not all 'truth' posted on this site is God's truth or as I called it the 'true truth'.

Reactions: Debp and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He’s teaching me all about the flesh at the moment....what it means to walk in the flesh.
I submit that we "walk in the Spirit", or we "walk according to the flesh".

Romans 8 speaks if when we were in flesh, we are no longer. But if we stop living as regenerate, we are walking according to, that is, in the pattern of flesh. I think this has to do with who we really are, not being the old man any longer.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:7 NIV
The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God;
it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.
That's not a correct translation.

Romans 8:5-8 KJV
5) For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

This isn't "the mind governed by the flesh", there is no word for "governed" appearing in the text. The correct rendering is, the mind of the flesh, or, the flesh mind.

1697212430546.png

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the teachings go against Scripture, they are false. That is what I use to judge any teachings. Anyone can get on YouTube and make videos....that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

That is a very good point, and yet there is something much greater going on.

The scriptures themselves declare the problems that exist with people and relying upon the scriptures alone. In other words, even would-be good people of God hear and do not understand. Some then teach what they feel good about, some exercise conjecture and the thinking of men and their own understanding, and others see what they want to see and spread false doctrines leading many astray...all of which can and is claimed to be based on the scriptures. Which is not to say that the scriptures themselves are in error, or that they should not be used to determine what is actually correct, but rather that one misinterpretation does not prove another to be wrong. Indeed, many mere children have assumed to administer and run the schools of doctrine, where those actual appointed by God to teach are likely and often are considered heretics.

The problem is that we have been told that "No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother", and to expect to be led rather unto all truth (more than can and is written) "by the Holy Spirit." For those "who have an ear to hear what the Spirit says to the churches" there is even a teaching and reprimand given by Paul to the Bride of Christ that says to "keep silent in the churches." But who has even perceived it? Consequently, that is not what we now see and support.

Even so, "He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers." It would appear however, that the church has that list completely backwards...and for the most part has eliminated a couple of those positions, who in times past were the ones who gave correction regarding disputes, as from God.

And here we are--suffering false doctrines and strong delusion...just as it is also written in the scriptures.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most born again people would know what I meant. Not all 'truth' posted on this site is God's truth or as I called it the 'true truth'.
I call it tribalism.
The other tribes have their "truth" and we have our "truth".
Our truth is the "true truth". Inferring that others are in falsehood simply because
they are not in our tribe. (or in agreement with our tribe)

/

Reactions: Chadrho

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I call it tribalism.
The other tribes have their "truth" and we have our "truth".
Our truth is the "true truth". Inferring that others are in falsehood simply because
they are not in our tribe. (or in agreement with our tribe)

/
That sounds rather dismissive to me. As if we only disagree because of our "tribe"?

There is what is true, the the rest is false, I don't care whose "tribe" you identify with. Truth is objective, and found in God's word. Objective Truth.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Debp

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey @Debp

Interesting to me how Christians react to teachings they haven't heard before.
We seem to be victims of doctrinal stagnation. As if to say...

"If I haven't heard it before... it MUST be false!"

Why do you suppose this is?

/
Usually I answer the OP, but what you say caught my eye with a bit of humor. Years back I started observing feast days in Leviticus 23 and if for no other reason, it's to give God His time and it's a valuable lesson as to the redemption of mankind. As Paul stated it's "shadows of things to come" so it's a prophetic time scale of sorts. 30-some years ago this would have been considered a cult, or at best very strange to celebrate the same days as the Jews (yet the same ones did not question their non-biblical holidays) but now everyone and their brother is mentioning the feast days. LOL Either way, Christ is proclaimed and in that I rejoice.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And sometimes they are a fairly new Christian that gets led astray. And sometimes they try to get others to listen to that teaching.... (someone here is doing that.)

Does this forum allow them to do that?
You can always report the post...and it would be discussed. :)