Suffering?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is suffering required for salvation?
“We must endure many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” Acts 14:22

It's not up to us if we're going to suffer or not. If we truly belong to God in salvation we will indeed be subjected to whatever it takes to bring us to glory. With that said, I personally do not volunteer for suffering. I let it find me according to God's will.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is almost guaranteed that you will suffer. But it will be considered a light affliction compared to the glory to come. I think you could avoid a lot of suffering by living by the standards and obeying the dictates of the Bible. But most people have to discover that their own way doesn’t work first.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cost of being a disciple=everything. That can hurt as He peels off layer after layer of the old man. Physically many suffer for decades and progressively get worse as they age. I've just gone through the biggest battle of my life! For two solid weeks all I did was stress, cry, didn't leave the house except for bible study and Sunday services.
Couldn't sleep or eat and asked God to take my life as, when in that frame of mind, lot's of things like that can come out our mouths and later after we "suffer a little while" and settle down, repent of lack of faith...He comes through for us. My experience anyhow. :)

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cost of being a disciple=everything. That can hurt as He peels off layer after layer of the old man. Physically many suffer for decades and progressively get worse as they age. I've just gone through the biggest battle of my life! For two solid weeks all I did was stress, cry, didn't leave the house except for bible study and Sunday services.
Couldn't sleep or eat and asked God to take my life as, when in that frame of mind, lot's of things like that can come out our mouths and later after we "suffer a little while" and settle down, repent of lack of faith...He comes through for us. My experience anyhow. :)
Don't be too hard on yourself.

"We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the hardships we encountered in the province of Asia. We were under a burden far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life." 2 Corinthians 1:8

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you could avoid a lot of suffering by living by the standards and obeying the dictates of the Bible.
You can. But it's also true you're going to suffer for doing good/right if it's God's will:

"17For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil." 1 Peter 3:17

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't be too hard on yourself.

"We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the hardships we encountered in the province of Asia. We were under a burden far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life." 2 Corinthians 1:8

Haha, I don't think I'm hard ENOUGH on myself!
Lot's of folks say that about me, hmmm.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it is almost guaranteed that you will suffer. But it will be considered a light affliction compared to the glory to come. I think you could avoid a lot of suffering by living by the standards and obeying the dictates of the Bible. But most people have to discover that their own way doesn’t work first.
@Mantis: I'm reminded of Philippians 1.28-29: "And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake..."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me, too, Sister. Be of good cheer--Christ has overcome the world.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's not up to us if we're going to suffer or not. If we truly belong to God in salvation we will indeed be subjected to whatever it takes to bring us to glory. With that said, I personally do not volunteer for suffering. I let it find me according to God's will.

explain

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Even so...

"...not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

But then also...

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." John 15:20

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Thefaith,

Many people posted some how they mentioned their viewpoint on suffering, and suffering for Christ can be in the knowing of who you are in faith of the Lord Jesus.

Being in faith of the Lord Jesus, his death, burial, and resurrection you by faith in trusting who he is, by growing and learning about the things he had done, did, teach, and taught, to multitude of peoples, and privately to his apostles.

Having faith that he paid for your sins, that he has overcame the devil, and his demons, that Jesus has overcome sin, he has overcome the grave, Jesus has overcome hell/Sheol, Jesus has overcome death itself.

Having this faith also means knowing that you are a child of God by faith, that God gives you the Holy Spirit that is poured out into the heart, God starts working with you as you have your relationship through prayers and supplications in the name of the Son of God.

Having faith helps us in our spiritual growth where our natural proclivities of the flesh are still very much apart of us; such as greed, lust, boaster, proud, backbiter, gossiper, all of these things slowly start dying away when you build up the spirit. The scripture talks about if you reap to the flesh you reap corruption, if you reap to the spirit you reap eternal life.

Suffering for Christ, is denying ones self and putting God first in every given situation no matter what, and being open and honest with yourself and the actions you choose to do, which is between you and God.

Jesus stated to love God first, and love your neighbor as yourself; this is the royal law of Christ that is what Christians are called to do in faith having been raised to newness of life because of the Son of God.

In love, faith, peace, patience, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mantis: Reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4.17-18: "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Mantis

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course not, but many do suffer, and I seriously doubt if anyone has not ever suffered in their lives at some point.

explain

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
explain

Faith in the promise is how one receives a place in the kingdom to come. The continuance of that faith is not a cakewalk. Because faith will be tested and strengthened by God, just as Abraham's faith was.

"20 ...he did not waver through disbelief in the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” Romans 4:20-22
The discipline of suffering seems to be God's modus operandi in testing and strengthening the faith of his people:

"11No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields a harvest of righteousness and peacec to those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 10:11

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis: Reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4.17-18: "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."
My entire life has been one of suffering. But after my youngest son went Home 2 years ago at age 17, it just felt like my own life was sucked out. God knows what we need and what we can endure to accomplish His purpose in us. For me, suffering has never ceased. It causes me to count my life as nothing ....at times, I just didn't want to be here. But while I'm here, I hope He uses me to love and bless others. It gives you a whole different perspective. We have nothing to lose.... if we just put all into our relationships with Christ and serve Him by serving others.

I'm not saying I've done that perfectly ....not by a long shot. But God is good ...merciful ...and patient ....and I pray each day that I will be more like Him and please Him.

Acts 14:22
[22]Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
2 Timothy 3:12
[12]Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My entire life has been one of suffering. But after my youngest son went Home 2 years ago at age 17, it just felt like my own life was sucked out. God knows what we need and what we can endure to accomplish His purpose in us. For me, suffering has never ceased. It causes me to count my life as nothing ....at times, I just didn't want to be here. But while I'm here, I hope He uses me to love and bless others. It gives you a whole different perspective. We have nothing to lose.... if we just put all into our relationships with Christ and serve Him by serving others.

I'm not saying I've done that perfectly ....not by a long shot. But God is good ...merciful ...and patient ....and I pray each day that I will be more like Him and please Him.

Acts 14:22
[22]Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
2 Timothy 3:12
[12]Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
Job 14:1
[1]Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.

We're going to suffer in this life ....one way or the other. So why not fully embrace serving Him and suffer for Him? Not that we should seek suffering ....but just know, we will suffer. When we enter eternity with Him, it will all pass away.

My youngest daughter messaged me this verse as an encouragement after her little brother/my son went Home...

2 Corinthians 4:7-18
[7]But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
[8]We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
[9]Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
[10]Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
[11]For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
[12]So then death worketh in us, but life in you.
[13]We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
[14]Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
[15]For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
[16]For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
[17]For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
[18]While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith in the promise is how one receives a place in the kingdom to come. The continuance of that faith is not a cakewalk. Because faith will be tested and strengthened by God, just as Abraham's faith was.

"20 ...he did not waver through disbelief in the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” Romans 4:20-22
The discipline of suffering seems to be God's modus operandi in testing and strengthening the faith of his people:

"11No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields a harvest of righteousness and peacec to those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 10:11

we don’t have to resist sin?