The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The 10 Commandments were given to God's chosen people not to the whole world. And we become one of God's people when we accept Jesus and are re-born spiritually.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 Commandments were given to God's chosen people not to the whole world. And we become one of God's people when we accept Jesus and are re-born spiritually.
yes.

Jesus says it's the very obeying of the Commandments that allows Him to indwell us.

John 14:21

the book of John is my favorite.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes.

Jesus says it's the very obeying of the Commandments that allows Him to indwell us.

That verse isn't necessarily talking about being in Jesus and Jesus in us. It references showing himself to them.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments are for sinners. It is the Law. People who are born of God do not sin but walk in the Spirit, so are not under the law. We, instead, keep the Spirit of the Law, not the letter, whether that letter is Saturday or Sunday.

The Spirit of the Sabbath is 24/7/365, moment by moment
abiding in Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath.

• Love
Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes.

Wrong!

Here is that verse in context.

“I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments [not the OT commandments!] and keep them are those who love me, and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.”

Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us and not to the world?” Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will keep my word [not the OT commandments!], and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words [not the OT commandments!], and the word that you hear is not mine but is from the Father who sent me." John 14:18-24

This clearly does not refer to the OT commandments, which are the OT law.

Romans 7:4-6, "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."

Putting Christians back under the OT law is denying the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who freed us from the law.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who are born of God do not sin but walk in the Spirit
people who are born of God still sin.

that's what James 3:2 is talking about.

that's why we have confession and repentance.
We, instead, keep the Spirit of the Law
can you define what keeping the Spirit of the Law is, Biblically?

so there's no misunderstanding.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting Christians back under the OT law is denying the sacrifice of Jesus Christ
no, it is not.

it is not putting Christians back under anything to obey the very Commandments Christ obeyed and taught us to obey.

Christ obeyed them as an example to us and died the perfect sinless Savior.
who freed us from the law.
we are freed from it.

but we still must obey the 10 Commandments.

Jesus obeyed them all and taught all of them throughout the NT.

there's no getting around that.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is tradition, not law.
sunday-keeping is traditions of men, not to mention pagan tradition.

the only day God ever blessed, sanctified and commanded to be kept holy was saturday.

even Jesus' disciples kept it after He died.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no, it is not.

it is not putting Christians back under anything to obey the very Commandments Christ obeyed and taught us to obey.

Christ obeyed them as an example to us and died the perfect sinless Savior.

we are freed from it.

but we still must obey the 10 Commandments.

Jesus obeyed them all and taught all of them throughout the NT.

there's no getting around that.
You need to read the Bible, particularly Romans.

Romans 7:4-6, "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:1-4, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

If Christians are still under the OT law, with all its requirement and penalties for sin, then Christ died in vain!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sunday-keeping is traditions of men, not to mention pagan tradition.

the only day God ever blessed, sanctified and commanded to be kept holy was saturday.

even Jesus' disciples kept it after He died.
There are several examples of Jesus "breaking" the Sabbath and allowing His disciples to do so as well. Here is just one...

Matthew 12:1-14, "At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent? I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus."

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to read the Bible, particularly Romans.

Romans 7:4-6, "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:1-4, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

If Christians are still under the OT law, with all its requirement and penalties for sin, then Christ died in vain!
well, when your verses exist and my verses exist, the Christian must make a decision for themselves.

if I want to get as close to Jesus as possible, what's wrong with that?

Jesus even says 'if you love Me, keep the Commandments.'

if I want to emulate Christ, because I love Him and all that He stands for, what's wrong with that?

the Bible says we are to live as Christ lived.

Christ obeyed all 10 Commandments.

Christ says those who obey the 10 Commandments are those who He will indwell.

again, if the texts that you are presenting exist in scripture right along side the texts that I am presenting, one must find a way to make them coincide.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
people who are born of God still sin.

that's what James 3:2 is talking about.

that's why we have confession and repentance.

can you define what keeping the Spirit of the Law is, Biblically?

so there's no misunderstanding.
You have to read 1 John 3 and all its verses in context.

8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

You may be shocked to know that 1 John 1:9 9 If we
confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
is the same as Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “
Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Both verses are to become a Christian and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1 John 1:9 is not a get out of jail free card in a demonic cycle of sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent ad infinitum as most denominations teach. I believe the Word, not denominations of man.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are several examples of Jesus "breaking" the Sabbath and allowing His disciples to do so as well. Here is just one...
if Jesus broke the Sabbath, that would make Him a sinner.

we know beyond debate that He was not, and couldn't possibly have sinned.

therefore, you are misreading the text, it is a misinterpretation from the original Greek or it doesn't mean what you think it means.

I can show you a handful of texts that say one thing, but mean something else - like the ones that declare Jesus was a drunk when we know He was not; or the one that says John had a demon when we know He did not.

sometimes the text is declaring what the jews accused, or believed, but not the actual facts of the matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.