The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were where, and it wasn’t taught? Because not being under the old covenant and sabhbath keeping was settled for centuries until E G White regurgitated that old and settled error.

Paul in 2 Corinthians 3, clearly calls the Decalogue the letter that kills and that ministers death and condemnation, who’s glory has ended, so you can claim Paul erred if you like - which some sects of sabbath keepers do - they reject Paul as a heretic because he plainly states we aren’t under the law of Moses as Christians.

Others like the SDA twist what Paul so clearly says, and ignore the entire book of Galatians written just to correct their exact error.
A lying, slanderous, straw man non-answer. Nice work, Curtis. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GEN2REV

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No opinion, just those scriptures you wanted to see, okay, Barn?;):oops:

Romans 7:4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another
You don't really have to be so shy with me, 1CL. After all we go back as far a few years ago over on CB (you may not recall--I'm not sure I used the "Barny" handle over there).<<<< Not sure this remark was necessary now after seeing your subsequent posts and after my taking so long to finish this one. - lol

Anyway, a couple of observations, if I may:

(Romans 7:4)
What law was it that needed to be made dead through the body of Christ? The ten commandments or the law that pointed forward to and previously stood in the place of His atoning ministry?
(I guess I should have asked you first if you were open to the possibility that the NT speaks of more than one type of law--I forget)

(v. 5)
I'm gonna stand on my 2 Peter 3:16 rights and say I'm not even sure what this verse means. A plain reading of it makes no sense to me. And I'll go further than that. Folks who think it's easy to understand this verse make me just a little nervous. Sinful passions aroused by the law? From Paul, the same guy who, a few lines later says that the law/commandment is holy, just, and good? At the very least there's a paradox or a symbol in there somewhere.

(v. 6)
Largely a reiteration of verse 4.

No argument with Galatians 5:22. Not sure how it relates to the discussion but it is a positive reinforcement of the law, since it is careful to specify that the fruit of the Spirit violate no law.

All I would have to say about 1 John 3:23 is that it doesn't read this way:

And this is His (ONLY) commandment:
(The previous verse--1 John 3:22--actually speaks of more than one commandment.)

As always, I appreciate your input. :):):)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul surely spears to contradict himself at times. Here's something I put together years ago, but still makes sense, at least to me.

3 Spiritual laws that govern life.
“For I delight in

Law One: ……….The law of God.

after the inward man”…..(Romans 7:22)

Paul has nothing but love and respect for God’s law. He considers it‘ holy, just and good’. It is Paul’s earnest and deepest desire to honour that law, and to keep all the commandments,

” but I see another law in my members, warring against the law (of God) of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to….” (v23cont.)

Law Two:………..“The law of sin…

“…which is in my members.

This cannot be the law of God wearing against itself.
Paul delights in obedience, but finds that in the carnal nature resides a law which makes it impossible, the law of sin. Paul confesses his wretchedness and guilt. “Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” he cries.

“I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin.” (vs 25)

But if Paul is bound by the law of sin, despite his best intentions to obey the law of God, how then can he overcome? The answer is just 2 verses later. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For…

Law Three:……….the law of the Spirit of life…

in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:1,2. Again, the law of sin and death cannot be the law of God, the Ten Commandments. That would be totally contradictory.

Three laws. The law of God which is holy, just, and good.
The law of sin which binds the carnal man making it impossible to obey the law of God.
The law of the Spirit of life which through the grace and power of God makes it possible for the reborn child of God to obey the law of God, if he relies on and walks after the Spirit and not after the flesh.

The law of sin has no power over them who are completely surrendered to Christ. That is why elsewhere Paul can assert that to those who walk in the Spirit they are transformed by the renewing of their minds, and are recreated into the image of the character of Christ. A character that is obedient and a mind (like Christ’s and Paul's) which delights in the law of God and rejoices that by faith in the power and grace of God he may be obedient to all the commandments

Reactions: BarneyFife

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the question again?
It's not hard to find, Pearl. I've posted it multiple times now.
GEN2REV said:
... if the covenant, and laws, changed upon (Jesus') death, why did His disciples continue to obey the 10 Commandments?
Your playing dumb isn't fooling anybody.

Woman-up and address the question or admit you have no answer for the above fact proven by scripture. (We already know you have no answer, but it's only right that you respond if you wish to save face and credibility.)

The court of public opinion is awaiting your answer.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul in 2 Corinthians 3, clearly calls the Decalogue the letter that kills and that ministers death and condemnation, who’s glory has ended,
You've already been challenged on that point and you've chosen to pretend you weren't. You need to respond to the stated challenge before reiterating your same point as if nobody had an answer for it.

Respond to my challenge in post#1549 before using that argument again.

That argument has been negated.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were where, and it wasn’t taught?
I was born again in 1972, and the ten commandments were the moral standard for people who didn't even go to church or keep them. The only hitch was that nearly all Christians (including myself) thought that Sunday was the Sabbath. My grandmothers would allow no work, that could wait until Monday, to be done on Sunday on their property.
Paul in 2 Corinthians 3, clearly calls the Decalogue the letter that kills and that ministers death and condemnation, who’s glory has ended, so you can claim Paul erred if you like - which some sects of sabbath keepers do - they reject Paul as a heretic because he plainly states we aren’t under the law of Moses as Christians.

I can't believe how incredibly dishonest you are being in this post. In fact, I'm calling you out. If you have an ounce of integrity, you'll produce just one piece of evidence that a sane, Christian Sabbath-keeper ever called the Great Apostle a heretic. Let's see it, Curtis.

Speaking of claims of Paul erring, practically the entirety of evangelicalism does exactly that by virtually treating Paul's writings as a buffet: "Ooh, that looks good/Don't care for that/Not lovin' that/Think I'll try some o' that." Rightly dividing the Word is a lost art--no longer en vogue. Subtraction is preferred to division. (This should offend no one to whom it does not apply--"If the shoe fits...")

Solomon said that fearing God and keeping His commandments is the whole duty of mankind--not the children of Israel.

Paul said that neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any consequence, but that the keeping of the commandments of God is everything.

These things are swept aside in favor of passages with difficult, figurative, or symbolic language that can be interpreted so as to justify license to sin.

God is not mocked. Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Because not being under the old covenant and sabhbath keeping was settled for centuries until E G White regurgitated that old and settled error.
You and Enoch111 should get together and go bowling. He loves to defame the Adventist church and Mrs. White. I don't think you know nearly as much about the history of Sabbath-keeping as you pretend. The (not Seventh-day) Adventists, before they were even incorporated, got Sabbath-keeping from the Seventh-day Baptists, who had been practicing it for 200 years. Give us some more of your revisionist Adventist church history, Curtis. If you think you know more about Adventist church history than I do, bring it.
What I don't know, I know where to find.

Others like the SDA twist what Paul so clearly says, and ignore the entire book of Galatians written just to correct their exact error.

Yeah, that's probably why they devoted the entire 4th quarter of 2011 to studying the book in the global Sabbath School Adult Bible Study Guide.

2011 Q4: Galatians Bible Study Guide | Sabbath School Net

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah, that's probably why they devoted the entire 4th quarter of 2011 to studying the book in the global Sabbath School Adult Bible Study Guide.

2011 Q4: Galatians Bible Study Guide | Sabbath School Net
Not too mention, wait, I will mention, the numerous comments, commentaries, books, articles and debates throughout Adventist history on the book of hahahaha... Here's some examples....
In his letter to the Galatian believers Paul briefly reviewed the leading incidents connected with his own conversion and early Christian experience. By this means he sought to show that it was through a special manifestation of divine power that he had been led to see and grasp the great truths of the gospel. It was through instruction received from God Himself that Paul was led to warn and admonish the Galatians in so solemn and positive a manner. He wrote, not in hesitancy and doubt, but with the assurance of settled conviction and absolute knowledge. He clearly outlined the difference between being taught by man and receiving instruction direct from Christ.{AA 386.1}

7. Trouble in Galatia—In almost every church there were some members who were Jews by birth. To these converts the Jewish teachers found ready access, and through them gained a foothold in the churches. It was impossible, by scriptural arguments, to overthrow the doctrines taught by Paul; hence they resorted to the most unscrupulous measures to counteract his influence and weaken his authority. They declared that he had not been a disciple of Jesus, and had received no commission from Him; yet he had presumed to teach doctrines directly opposed to those held by Peter, James, and the other apostles. Thus the emissaries of Judaism succeeded in alienating many of the Christian converts from their teacher in the gospel. Having gained this point, they induced them to return to the observance of the ceremonial law as essential to salvation. Faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of ten commandments, were regarded as of minor importance. Division, heresy, and sensualism were rapidly gaining ground among the believers in Galatia. – {6BC 1108.1}
17, 18. See EGW comment on Acts 9:25-27. – {6BC 1108.3}
Comment on Gal.2:16To substitute external forms of religion for holiness of heart and life is still as pleasing to the unrenewed nature as it was in the days of these Jewish teachers. Today, as then, there are false spiritual guides, to whose doctrines many listen eagerly. It is Satan's studied effort to divert minds from the hope of salvation through faith in Christ and obedience to the law of God.{AA 387.1}

1-10 (Acts 15:4-29). The Wisdom of Paul—Paul ... describes the visit which he made to Jerusalem to secure a settlement of the very questions which are now agitating the churches of Galatia, as to whether the Gentiles should submit to circumcision and keep the ceremonial law. This was the only instance in which he had deferred to the judgment of the other apostles as superior to his own. He had first sought a private interview, in which he set the matter in all its bearings before the leading apostles, Peter, James, and John. With far-seeing wisdom, he concluded that if these men could be led to take a right position, everything would be gained. Had he first presented the question before the whole council, there would have been a division of sentiment. The strong prejudice already excited because he had not enforced circumcision on the Gentiles, would have led many to take a stand against him. Thus the object of his visit would have been defeated, and his usefulness greatly hindered. But the three leading apostles, against whom no such prejudice existed, having themselves been won to the true position, brought the matter before the council, and won from all a concurrence in the decision to leave the Gentiles free from the obligations of the ceremonial law (Sketches from the Life of Paul, 192, 193). – {6BC 1108.4}

After all the failures of Peter, after his fall and restoration, his long course of service, his intimate acquaintance with Christ, his knowledge of Christ’s pure, straightforward practice of principle; after all the instruction he had received, all the gifts and knowledge and great influence in preaching and teaching the Word, is it not strange that he should dissemble and evade the principles of the gospel, for fear of man, or in order to gain his esteem? Is it not strange that he should waver, and be two-sided in his position? May God give every man a sense of his own personal helplessness to steer his own vessel straight and safely into the harbor. The grace of Christ is essential every day. His matchless grace alone can save our feet from falling (Manuscript 122, 1897). – {6BC 1108.6}

20 (Philippians 1:21; Colossians 3:3; see EGW comment on Revelation 3:1). The Greatest Work in the World—Everything good in men and women is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit teaches us to reveal righteousness in our lives. The greatest work that can be done in our world is to glorify God by living the character of Christ. God will make perfect only those who will die to self. Those who are willing to do this can say, “I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me” (Manuscript 16, 1900). – {6BC 1109.2}

On Gal. 3:1The men who had attempted to lead them from their belief in the gospel were hypocrites, unholy in heart and corrupt in life. Their religion was made up of a round of ceremonies, through the performance of which they expected to gain the favor of God. They had no desire for a gospel that called for obedience to the word, "Except a too great a sacrifice, and they clung to their errors, deceiving themselves and others.{AA 386.2}

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you have GEN, but I'm not planning to read back through 1568 posts to find it.
And it's probably not all that important anyway.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the Galatian churches, open, unmasked error was supplanting the gospel message. Christ, the true foundation of the faith, was virtually renounced for the obsolete ceremonies of Judaism. The apostle saw that if the believers in Galatia were saved from the dangerous influences which threatened them, the most decisive measures must be taken, the sharpest warnings given.{AA 385.2}

On Gal. 4:19-21
Warn every soul that is in danger. Leave none to deceive themselves. Call sin by its right name. Declare what God has said in regard to lying, Sabbathbreaking, stealing, idolatry, and every other evil.{DA 806}

On Gal.4:22
As you receive the Spirit of Christ--the Spirit of unselfish love and labor for others--you will grow and bring forth fruit. The graces of the Spirit will ripen in your character. Your faith will increase, your convictions deepen, your love be made perfect. More and more you will reflect the likeness of Christ in all that is pure, noble, and lovely.{COL 67.3}

You don't have to agree @Curtis with Mrs. White, but don't attempt the ridiculous idea that the church ignored Galatians. I'm fact, no book in scripture had been ignored, and Galatians and Romans were the focus of many of our writers and theologians. A little research and honesty would have revealed this.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GEN2REV said:
Perhaps you have GEN, but I'm not planning to read back through 1568 posts to find it.
And it's probably not all that important anyway
Clearly it's very important if you'd go to such desperate lengths to pretend in front of all the world that it didn't happen. It must be a world-beater of a question that you refuse to even admit it exists.

It's ok though, we're all embarrassed for you and we'll pretend, along with you, that it never happened.

Your face and credibility are obliterated, but most will forget.

In time.

Here is the question that devastated Pearl's ability to continue in this debate:
GEN2REV said:
... if the covenant, and laws, changed upon (Jesus') death, why did His disciples continue to obey the 10 Commandments?
Simple. Easily provable. World-shattering for those who claim the 10 Commandments were nailed to the Cross.

10 Commandments win again.:D

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and it seems I overlooked this:

2017 Q3: The Gospel in Galatians | Sabbath School Net

(I thought we'd studied this more recently. :confused:)

You might want to look them over. You could possibly learn a thing or two--you know, so you don't have to go around bearing false witness, that is, if that part of the ministry of death and condemnation (which you seem to know so much about--after all, it's the overwhelming, predominant, preponderant characterization of the ten commandments in the Bible, right?) concerns you at all.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarnyFife

Fife, didn't you know that the entire book of Galatians was written by Paul in his day just to correct the error of Sabbath-Keeping?

And here's a couple verses to prove it that not only show Paul was a Sabbath-Keeper himself, as well as Jesus' disciples, but that he was a faithful keeper of all the 10 Commandments.
Acts 13:42
Acts 21:24
Luke 23:54-56

Isn't that interesting?

The Bible is an amazing book.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarnyFife

Fife, didn't you know that the entire book of Galatians was written by Paul in his day just to correct the error of Sabbath-Keeping?

And here's a couple verses to prove it that not only show Paul was a Sabbath-Keeper himself, as well as Jesus' disciples, but that he was a faithful keeper of all the 10 Commandments.
Acts 13:42
Acts 21:24
Luke 23:54-56

Isn't that interesting?

The Bible is an amazing book.
...for justification.

As long as both sides of the argument understand this we can all live in peace. Sabbath keeping never got outlawed outright except in regard to the matter of justification.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Romans 7:4)
What law was it that needed to be made dead through the body of Christ? The ten commandments or the law that pointed forward to and previously stood in the place of His atoning ministry?
(I guess I should have asked you first if you were open to the possibility that the NT speaks of more than one type of law--I forget)

Oh, yes, and I still go to the Old Testament regarding other aspects of the laws they were under. For instance, remarriage. My Christian husband divorced me without cause 20 years ago. I still don't date, and I still wear my rings because otherwise I also would be committing adultry if I dated or remarried. I wear my rings because it is a no-fly zone to men. I had cause, but didn't act on it. He didn't have cause, but acted on it, and though he is married now to his mistress, even though the week before their wedding I wanted to make sure she knew what she was headed for (hell), so asked her to read Mark 10:11-12. I didn't read it to her or say anything else, I left it all up to her, so that she had time to stop it, but she went to him afterwards, and heaven knows how he interpreted it - pathological liar in sheep's clothing of a "Christian".

I kept asking the Lord why He allowed the divorce when He hates divorce. It took two years of asking, and He finally answered. "Because He knew Steven would never repent." I believe I was actually free, but I KNEW Steven didn't have cause, and I wasn't the one to divorce him; and I never acknowledged the divorce papers, or went to court, even though the separation of assets were false and illegal. The Spirit led me to be completely separated from all things sinful, even by Steven. What I knew was a hardening of the heart in the Church and used as a loop-hole was that he was the adulterer. But "without cause" was the fine print that kept me diligent to have nothing to do with sin, besides causing any man who wanted me to sin.

The laws on remarriage are confirmed by Jesus.

Deuteronomy 24:1-“When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, 2 when she has departed from his house, and goes and becomes another man’s wife, 3 if the latter husband detests her and writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her as his wife, 4 then her former husband who divorced her must not take her back to be his wife after she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the Lord, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

Matthew 19:8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

We are also still under the laws against incest, which is a sexual sin and reiterated in the NT.

But there are other laws though, including the Ten Commandments that the New Covenant abolished, and clearly says so by the apostles.

I know you believe that the Ten Commandments ARE NOT the LAW that Paul is talking about. But a verse you didn't come to in your post was the very next one. Otherwise you wouldn't have mention the "other laws." And Backlit wouldn't be denying it so ardently. I know it must be very tough to wrap your heads around, and Backlit as much as said so. I feel for you, but I had the same decision you will have to make when I was 23 and even beyond as I kept rehashing it in my mind.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

Barn, and @Backlit, be honest. What "law" is Paul in verse 7 referring to?

All I would have to say about 1 John 3:23 is that it doesn't read this way:

And this is His (ONLY) commandment:
(The previous verse--1 John 3:22--actually speaks of more than one commandment.)

There are two, not one.

(1)"Love God with all your strength, mind and heart and (2) love your neighbor as yourself" are the two eternal commandments that both the Ten Commandments and the New Covenant commandments to believe in Jesus, and love your neighbors were the templates for. They are eternal. But the Ten Commandments said nothing about love, except "but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments." But nothing about loving their neighbors. Love is why the New Covenant commandments that John writes about (always note the author), superseded the Old Covenant commandments of what John also refers to as of the Father in John 15:10, even though many SDA always like to point out that it was the Son on the mountain, but it doesn't change what John said. That verse is about two different sets of commandments and covenants.

10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

With our changed nature with God's eternal laws written on our hearts to LOVE, we establish the law. That also is what is mistaken about what laws are written on our hearts. It is not merely not to murder, but deeper not to hate, and to LOVE.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul surely spears to contradict himself at times. Here's something I put together years ago, but still makes sense, at least to me.

3 Spiritual laws that govern life.
“For I delight in

Law One: ……….The law of God.

after the inward man”…..(Romans 7:22)

Paul has nothing but love and respect for God’s law. He considers it‘ holy, just and good’. It is Paul’s earnest and deepest desire to honour that law, and to keep all the commandments,

” but I see another law in my members, warring against the law (of God) of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to….” (v23cont.)

Law Two:………..“The law of sin…

“…which is in my members.

This cannot be the law of God wearing against itself.
Paul delights in obedience, but finds that in the carnal nature resides a law which makes it impossible, the law of sin. Paul confesses his wretchedness and guilt. “Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” he cries.

“I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin.” (vs 25)

But if Paul is bound by the law of sin, despite his best intentions to obey the law of God, how then can he overcome? The answer is just 2 verses later. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For…

Law Three:……….the law of the Spirit of life…

in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:1,2. Again, the law of sin and death cannot be the law of God, the Ten Commandments. That would be totally contradictory.

Three laws. The law of God which is holy, just, and good.
The law of sin which binds the carnal man making it impossible to obey the law of God.
The law of the Spirit of life which through the grace and power of God makes it possible for the reborn child of God to obey the law of God, if he relies on and walks after the Spirit and not after the flesh.

The law of sin has no power over them who are completely surrendered to Christ. That is why elsewhere Paul can assert that to those who walk in the Spirit they are transformed by the renewing of their minds, and are recreated into the image of the character of Christ. A character that is obedient and a mind (like Christ’s and Paul's) which delights in the law of God and rejoices that by faith in the power and grace of God he may be obedient to all the commandments

Yes, it is the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ that has set Paul free from the law of sin and death. But Backlit, the Ten Commandments are called the ministry of death. And the Law of the Spirit is called the ministry of the Spirit.

We must be born again, because no one will enjoy eternal life with the Father and Jesus except those who are without spot or wrinkle. That is without sin. We must be free from sin, by being free from the nature that produced sin within us.

I don't think even you would accuse other denominations of promoting being murderers. It is just not in the nature of those who are truly born again. But you do accuse us of not obeying the LETTER of the law, against Paul's warning, even though the substance is Christ, and we establish the whole law through Him.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...for justification.

As long as both sides of the argument understand this we can all live in peace. Sabbath keeping never got outlawed outright except in regard to the matter of justification.
Unfortunately it's just not that simple, Ferris.

Both sides can't accept this because one side isn't playing fair.

You can claim that the 10 Commandments can be kept as much as somebody desires as long as they understand it won't give them salvation, ... and you'd be right, ... but here's the catch.

ALL modern churches obey ALL the 9 Commandments but one. So, in a sense, you are setting up a hypocritical situation with that statement. They almost ALL teach, vehemently, that we no longer need to obey the 10 Commandments ... while simultaneously obeying 9 of them ... and expecting all their congregation to do the same.

Ironically, they don't ever admit that they're doing this, though. They claim they are simply obeying the two abbreviated Commandments spoken of by Jesus in the NT. The reality is this: they are absolutely obeying every single one of the 10 but the 4th. The Sabbath Commandment.

In light of this clarification, it becomes clear that this entire thread is much less about the 10 Commandments and more about being honest about what you're adhering to. All of those who passionately preach against the keeping of the 10 Commandments, are, in actuality, only preaching against one single solitary Commandment.

No, it doesn't justify you to obey the 10 Commandments, BUT if your faith, that does justify you, is such that the Holy Spirit is given to you, then you WILL obey ALL TEN Commandments. Why? Because the Holy Spirit IS GOD (John 14:21-23) and they're HIS Commandments. That very spirit lived within Christ throughout His lifetime; and what was it up to? OBEYING ALL the Commandments of the Father. John 15:10

That is EXACTLY why God sends it to you in Christ's Name - so that IT can OBEY the Commandments through you. And if it does that, IT IS NOT YOUR POWER DOING SO ... AND THUS, IT IS NOT WORKS SALVATION.

Now, with that understanding, we can all live in peace.

Reactions: Brakelite

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately it's just not that simple, Ferris.
In regard to Paul's particular definition of 'justified', yes, it is that simple.

We all agree that no one is justified (becomes righteous) by works of the law. And so it is in regard to that definition of 'justified' that sabbath keeping is very much outlawed. No one under any circumstances is allowed to keep the sabbath law, or any other law, in order to become righteous before God. It is absolutely forbidden in that regard. No debate required. If we could just meet on that common ground we could be at peace with one another. The problem is, the law keeping denominations believe that laws like the 4th commandment do justify, but in regard to James's particular definition of 'justified' that he is addressing - showing oneself to be righteous. That is where the rub is, but Paul addresses that matter, too, in his letter to the Galatians. But it should not be a point of division or contention among us who agree that no law keeping whatsoever causes one to become righteous before God.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

They were Jewish and also Christ's disciples so they kept the commandments Jesus gave them which, as I've posted before:

Mark 12:30-32
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Reactions: Ferris Bueller
Status
Not open for further replies.