The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He only ever blessed and sanctified ONE day of the week. Genesis 2:2-3
He only ever called ONE day of the week HIS Holy Day - the Holy of the Lord. Isaiah 58:13
Yeah, so?
That has no bearing on whether or not we have to continue to literally keep it the way the law says to.

God doesn't change and everything He has EVER blessed, sanctified or made Holy is still Holy to this very day.
No, the animal sacrifices commanded by the law are no longer blessed and sanctified.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL modern churches obey ALL the 9 Commandments but one. So, in a sense, you are setting up a hypocritical situation with that statement. They almost ALL teach, vehemently, that we no longer need to obey the 10 Commandments ... while simultaneously obeying 9 of them ... and expecting all their congregation to do the same.

Ironically, they don't ever admit that they're doing this, though. They claim they are simply obeying the two abbreviated Commandments spoken of by Jesus in the NT.
I don't.
I say the reason we don't have to literally obey the 4th commandment is because it is already fulfilled through Christ's work on our behalf. He has brought us into God's required rest, just as his work has brought us into God's required circumcision so we don't have to literally do that either.

I know you don't agree with that. That's fine. Just know and respect my reason why I don't believe I have to keep a literal sabbath, just as I have taken the time to know, and in turn respect the reasons why you believe you do have to keep a literal sabbath.

The reality is this: they are absolutely obeying every single one of the 10 but the 4th. The Sabbath Commandment.
Just because we are literally obeying the nine while not literally obeying the 4th doesn't mean we have not fulfilled the 4th commandment. Just as not literally obeying the law of Passover doesn't mean we haven't fulfilled it.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it doesn't justify you to obey the 10 Commandments, BUT if your faith, that does justify you, is such that the Holy Spirit is given to you, then you WILL obey ALL TEN Commandments.
As a born again, Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, genuine believer, I can honestly testify to you that this is simply not true. The Spirit has in no way convicted me to obey his command to keep a literal sabbath day. Just as He has in no way convicted any male believer to be circumcised.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't.
I say the reason we don't have to literally obey the 4th commandment is because it is already fulfilled through Christ's work on our behalf. He has brought us into God's required rest, just as his work has brought us into God's required circumcision so we don't have to literally do that either.

Just because we are literally obeying the nine while not literally obeying the 4th doesn't mean we have not fulfilled the 4th commandment. Just as not literally obeying the law of Passover doesn't mean we haven't fulfilled it.
If you were the honest person you represent yourself to be, this would all sound ridiculous to you.

So Jesus fulfilled ONE of the 10 Commandments now? That's your new story?

And ONE of the 10 Commandments was nailed to the Cross? That's what you're now going with?

OK!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Jesus fulfilled ONE of the 10 Commandments now? That's your new story?
'New' story? Ask Barny Fife if that's my new story, lol.

And ONE of the 10 Commandments was nailed to the Cross?
No, the debt I owed concerning all of the laws of God, not just the Ten, was nailed to the cross marked 'paid in full' when I believed in the forgiveness of God through which that debt was removed. From that point forward my obligation is to continually pay the debt of law ascribed to me in regard to loving others, for that debt of law is never satisfied. There's always another day, another opportunity, another interaction with another person in which I am indebted to their wellbeing. Not so with various other laws, the debt of which got paid one time for all time the moment I believed, like the law of Passover, the law of circumcision, the law of sabbath rest, the law of blood sacrifice for sin.

That's what you're now going with?
No, I've been going with that for years.
This is not my first forum rodeo.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See how different you sound when you're being honest?

This I believe.
Thank you!

He's convicted me of a lot of things. Literal sabbath keeping has simply not been one of them even though I sought the matter with the Lord early on in my salvation, thirty some years ago.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't think you, of all people in this discussion, would have to resort to straw men to counter an argument. I'm disappointed.

Straw men? How is the definition of a "work" a straw man? And the reason why they do not justify you, and even put you in danger of falling from grace? They are not straw; they are made of iron.

I have told the truth and warnings to two men I care about, without using below the belt accusations. You never see Barn doing anything like that.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As a born again, Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, genuine believer, I can honestly testify to you that this is simply not true. The Spirit has in no way convicted me to obey his command to keep a literal sabbath day. Just as He has in no way convicted any male believer to be circumcised.
He won't convict you while you have already rejected His word in favor of your imagination.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Straw men? How is the definition of a "work" a straw man? And the reason why they do not justify you, and even put you in danger of falling from grace? They are not straw; they are made of iron.

I have told the truth and warnings to two men I care about, without using below the belt accusations. You never see Barn doing anything like that.
You are, without any reference or acknowledgement to our own testimony, saying that because we observe and keep the 4th commandment, our motivation for doing so it's in order to be justified. Your argument applies only to those who are seeking to be justified by their obedience.
What evidence do you have that Barney and I and other Sabbath keepers are not as described as...
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are, without any reference or acknowledgement to our own testimony, saying that because we observe and keep the 4th commandment, our motivation for doing so it's in order to be justified. Your argument applies only to those who are seeking to be justified by their obedience.
What evidence do you have that Barney and I and other Sabbath keepers are not as described as...
?

I've never told you not to keep the 4th commandment. That is up to you, and you should as long as you believe as you do. It would be a sin not to. And I am definitely against sinning.

But what do you do? You accuse people of rejecting God's word.

"He won't convict you while you have already rejected His word in favor of your imagination."

Well, at least, Barn and I can talk civilly.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the debt I owed concerning all of the laws of God, not just the Ten, was nailed to the cross marked 'paid in full' when I believed in the forgiveness of God through which that debt was removed. From that point forward my obligation is to continually pay the debt of law ascribed to me in regard to loving others, for that debt of law is never satisfied. There's always another day, another opportunity, another interaction with another person in which I am indebted to their wellbeing. Not so with various other laws, the debt of which got paid one time for all time the moment I believed, like the law of Passover, the law of circumcision, the law of sabbath rest, the law of blood sacrifice for sin.
You are required to love your fellow man a specific way, just as you are required to love God a specific way. You didn't mention that part.
I've been going with that for years.
This is not my first forum rodeo.
It wouldn't make any difference if it was. What you're claiming to be 'going with' isn't supported by one iota of scripture anywhere. Can you put together a case, using scripture as support, for the concept that ONE single solitary Commandment was nailed to the Cross?

I can already think of multiple verses right off the top of my head that 100% contradict that nonsense.

Having other Users here vouch for you means absolutely nothing. Many of the Users here are the same people under different names. The only thing that can corroborate/validate anything you have to say is the Bible. And you're not doing so well with using God's Words to prove any of your wild claims.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've never told you not to keep the 4th commandment. That is up to you, and you should as long as you believe as you do. It would be a sin not to. And I am definitely against sinning.
But you still think Sabbath observance is a "work" intended as an adjunct to Christ's sacrifice as you suggested by quoting
KJV Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.??

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you!

He's convicted me of a lot of things. Literal sabbath keeping has simply not been one of them even though I sought the matter with the Lord early on in my salvation, thirty some years ago.
If you'd ever done that honestly, you'd have quickly discovered that the Bible does not support the repeal of any of the 10 Commandments. Least of all, the Sabbath. There are examples upon examples of the disciples, Christ, later followers like Paul, etc. etc. observing the Sabbath, some long after Christ's death.

In a court of Law, the Sabbath case, based on scripture alone, would be settled in an afternoon. It's an open and shut case. And so simple to prove to those with an unbiased, honest intention to find the Truth.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He won't convict you while you have already rejected His word in favor of your imagination.
Even if my reason for not having to keep a literal sabbath was from my own imagination, my God and my Lord and my Father would correct me and discipline me to whatever extent is necessary to bring me into submission to the truth about it if I was missing it. 35 years and counting and he has not done that and I continue on in the grace of the fellowship and growth of the Holy Spirit. Right or wrong, if you do have that conviction I'm good with it. Do what you have to do, friend.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are required to love your fellow man a specific way, just as you are required to love God a specific way. You didn't mention that part.
You love God by loving others:

"35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’
40 ...‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’" Matthew 25:35-40

That is the love for God that matters. Remember, 'love your neighbor as yourself' is the fulfillment of the law.

Reactions: mailmandan

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It wouldn't make any difference if it was. What you're claiming to be 'going with' isn't supported by one iota of scripture anywhere.
Right or wrong, Colossians 2:16-17 is at the very least an iota of scripture. The argument doesn't just come out of thin air.

Can you put together a case, using scripture as support, for the concept that ONE single solitary Commandment was nailed to the Cross?
The DEBT of the law was nailed to the cross. The debt of law that was stacked up against me was forgiven at the cross, marked 'PAID IN FULL'. And now I fulfill the ongoing debt of law that remains (the debt to always love others) through the same grace that forgave that debt.

The point of this discussion about the sabbath command is it is a debt that got paid one time for all time in the work of Jesus, the same way the debt of circumcision got paid one time for all time in the work of Jesus, such that no further keeping of that command is necessary. They've already been kept. You don't have to keep a law that requires no further fulfillment.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even if my reason for not having to keep a literal sabbath was from my own imagination, my God and my Lord and my Father would correct me and discipline me to whatever extent is necessary to bring me into submission to the truth about it if I was missing it. 35 years and counting and he has not done that and I continue on in the grace of the fellowship and growth of the Holy Spirit. Right or wrong, if you do have that conviction I'm good with it. Do what you have to do, friend.
And how long have God's servants been speaking to you regarding the 4th Commandment and you have continued to reject their counsel? They have shown you from scripture the truth, yet you rely on your own wisdom contradicting scripture. If you already reject scripture in support of Sabbath observance, why would the holy Spirit 'convict' you? The holy Spirit isn't going to contradict or teach you anything you haven't already heard, and rejected. The written word comes first... If you don't believe God's word, what is left?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you'd ever done that honestly, you'd have quickly discovered that the Bible does not support the repeal of any of the 10 Commandments. Least of all, the Sabbath. There are examples upon examples of the disciples, Christ, later followers like Paul, etc. etc. observing the Sabbath, some long after Christ's death.
It's not repealed, it's fulfilled. That doesn't mean you can't keep it. It means you don't have to keep it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.