The 'anti-gospel'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
There is an anti-gospel which has penetrated the church... A gospel that calls for unbelief in the power of Christ, and denial of the power.

It says to just 'trust in the work of Christ on the cross'. This sounds right, using the right words, but in the wrong way, and it goes in a direction opposite to Christ's, because it teaches that to take up your own cross is 'works', evil, and does not believe in the work of the cross in us. It is a anti-gospel made by the enemies of the cross. It is a doctrine of demons that denies the power.

In this, men call good (obedience) evil (works of the flesh), and evil (disobedience) good (faith). But God is not pleased with this... All reap what they sow, those who sow in obedience reap in righteousness, those who sow in disobedience reap death.

This gospel is a foil of the enemy to mock the true gospel of Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is an anti-gospel which has penetrated the church... A gospel that calls for unbelief in the power of Christ, and denial of the power.

It says to just 'trust in the work of Christ on the cross'. This sounds right, using the right words, but in the wrong way, and it goes in a direction opposite to Christ's, because it teaches that to take up your own cross is 'works', evil, and does not believe in the work of the cross in us. It is a anti-gospel made by the enemies of the cross. It is a doctrine of demons that denies the power.

In this, men call good (obedience) evil (works of the flesh), and evil (disobedience) good (faith). But God is not pleased with this... All reap what they sow, those who sow in obedience reap in righteousness, those who sow in disobedience reap death.

Giving lip service to the work of Christ on the cross is not the same as forsaking all for Christ in keeping with the MESSAGE of the cross!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Hey Prentis! Can I just ask how you define the difference between "relying on the fullness of Jesus' work on the cross" and "using that very work as an excuse to behave sinfully". I think that's the difference your trying to highlight (please correct me if I'm wrong!). It's a difficult subject, because we must not, in any way, underplay what happened on the cross...it is everything. But in saying this, we should be very careful not to give new believers, or any, the idea that such fullness of forgiveness gives us leave to then behave in a manner that scorns such a gift.

We cannot deny that the Bible tells us that those who try to earn their salvation by works are doing so with futility...it just won't happen. But it also tells us that those who 'sit back and rely on the cross, acting in the meantime in any manner they desire', show a false faith. The two must always go hand in hand. Faith and salvation is the motivation behind a heart change and the resulting 'good works'.
I believe the false doctrine going on in the church today is the teaching of one or the other...not the need of both, as the Bible teaches. It seems such a small thing, but both will lead people down the path of the 'religious' or the immoral.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Hey Prentis! Can I just ask how you define the difference between "relying on the fullness of Jesus' work on the cross" and "using that very work as an excuse to behave sinfully". I think that's the difference your trying to highlight (please correct me if I'm wrong!). It's a difficult subject, because we must not, in any way, underplay what happened on the cross...it is everything. But in saying this, we should be very careful not to give new believers, or any, the idea that such fullness of forgiveness gives us leave to then behave in a manner that scorns such a gift.

We cannot deny that the Bible tells us that those who try to earn their salvation by works are doing so with futility...it just won't happen. But it also tells us that those who 'sit back and rely on the cross, acting in the meantime in any manner they desire', show a false faith. The two must always go hand in hand. Faith and salvation is the motivation behind a heart change and the resulting 'good works'.
I believe the false doctrine going on in the church today is the teaching of one or the other...not the need of both, as the Bible teaches. It seems such a small thing, but both will lead people down the path of the 'religious' or the immoral.

Sure :) I would say the difference is like this... If you trust what Christ did, you are trusting in his power. What Christ did is give us a new beginning AND give us the power to do it right this time... To please him. If one decides to take the first, forgiveness (which allows the new beginning) and now say he doesn't have to follow with the second, that is, by faith taking the promises and walking as he walked (atleast growing in this), then he is taking the cross to his own advantage. Rather we should see that, yes, God loved us first, and gave us such a great gift, but now we must love him back also!

I agree we don't earn salvation by works... Rather by faith we enter into the Spirit, and then we do the works of the Spirit, not to save ourselves, but out of love and obedience. Salvation is merely a result. But our purpose is serving the most high God!

Blessings, Rach!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I would add this. I understand Paul to be saying no one is saved (1) by the works of the mosaic law, ie circumcision, and also (2) the law of sin and death, the old nature. But the law of the spirit and life is salvific, in that he who sows to the spirit reaps life. We are to do works... The works of the Father. By this obedience, faith, faithfulness, GOD justifies man... But man never justifies himself!