The Asbury ‘Surprising Work of God’

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Christian doesn't want revival?
All I wish you would do is go and listen to the actual people, not the talking heads and naysayers on youtube. These students are compelled to worship the LORD, pray, sing in "One accord", how is that of the devil as some of the naysayers claim? In Fact for me personally it has been truly refreshing.... You will know them by their fruit. As for repentance, the turning away from the worldly concepts of love is the repentance the verse speaks of. The Humility of these people is evident, and the fact that no celebrity preachers can take credit for it (Totally grass roots), shows the hand of God at work. In Fact the church service itself that kicked it off was as ordinary as any other, until the presence of God led to spontaneous prayer by the preacher..... reminds me of the great awakening itself in that the sermon that kicked that off was preached by Jonathon Edwards numerous times before the great awakening occurred.... It was just an ordinary sermon, and if you read it now you will say the same thing.... It is God's hand that makes this special.

Watch the video, look for the spontaneous prayer...

Watch this for testimonies

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
All I wish you would do is go and listen to the actual people, not the talking heads and naysayers on youtube. These students are compelled to worship the LORD, pray, sing in "One accord", how is that of the devil as some of the naysayers claim? In Fact for me personally it has been truly refreshing.... You will know them by their fruit. As for repentance, the turning away from the worldly concepts of love is the repentance the verse speaks of. The Humility of these people is evident, and the fact that no celebrity preachers can take credit for it (Totally grass roots), shows the hand of God at work. In Fact the church service itself that kicked it off was as ordinary as any other, until the presence of God led to spontaneous prayer by the preacher..... reminds me of the great awakening itself in that the sermon that kicked that off was preached by Jonathon Edwards numerous times before the great awakening occurred.... It was just an ordinary sermon, and if you read it now you will say the same thing.... It is God's hand that makes this special.

Watch the video, look for the spontaneous prayer...

I've already watched the original chapel service video and you are putting too much emphasis on experience rather than scripture.

My mention of self affirming prayers instead of prayers of repentance were of people from the actual "revival" as well as so called "casting out of demons."

I looked at video evidence from the "revival" and it looked like a worship service at best but you would see the same videos and call it a revival.

What does scripture have to say?

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Matthew 7:22‭-‬23 KJV

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've already watched the original chapel service video and you are putting too much emphasis on experience rather than scripture.
That is the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.... I would rather be in the presence of the Living God than have all the head knowledge about the One God. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to this Experience of His true Love, and Holiness.... Yet you berate this as Evil?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

Watched the second video including the testimonies and all it accounted for was spontaneous prayer and worship. The preaching was not about the gospel just an empty speech about love and spreading love. So what if crowds of people go home after that and end up in hell because they didn't hear the gospel or repent?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
That is the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.... I would rather be in the presence of the Living God than have all the head knowledge about the One God. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to this Experience of His true Love, and Holiness.... Yet you berate this as Evil?
It says in scripture that his children perish for lack of knowledge.

As for experience, his presence and holiness leads to repentence.

The firm believers who stand on his word and take up their cross daily are the ones experiencing his love and holiness, not just a bunch of people chasing emotional mountaintop experiences that never last so they go chasing the next one. That's not grounded and it's superficial.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
A turning from human love which is self-serving to a sacrificial Agape Love that is selfless. Have you never experienced God's Love?

Yes I have experienced his love.
Have you repented? If not you don't know him like you say you do and have not experienced his love.
Btw that verse in acts still includes repentence.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
A turning from human love which is self-serving to a sacrificial Agape Love that is selfless. Have you never experienced God's Love?
Just read that passage in acts. It was about repenting for not believing in Jesus when he was put to death.

You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you. You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this.
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,
Acts 3:14‭-‬16‭, ‬19 NIV

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says in scripture that his children perish for lack of knowledge.

As for experience, his presence and holiness leads to repentence.
experiencing Him and His presence is the ultimate form of knowing Him. This experience is the Basis of Knowing God intimately. Go Read the testimony of Charles Wesley, and then read the lyrics to the song he wrote upon his experience of the real love of God. It is called "And Can it Be".... I am sure you are familiar with the song.... This is what I see happening here. Perhaps then you will realize it is you that needs to repent for your lack of seeing.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
experiencing Him and His presence is the ultimate form of knowing Him. This experience is the Basis of Knowing God intimately. Go Read the testimony of Charles Wesley, and then read the lyrics to the song he wrote upon his experience of the real love of God. It is called "And Can it Be".... I am sure you are familiar with the song.... This is what I see happening here. Perhaps then you will realize it is you that needs to repent for your lack of seeing.

See my post #46 about people going to hell because they didn't hear the gospel or repent and tell me again about "lack of seeing."

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

The gospel message of Jesus dying for us is in that hymn but not in the message at Asbury.
So far you've given me a verse about repentance to prove repentence isn't essential
And a hymn about Christ dying for us to prove all you need is love.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
experiencing Him and His presence is the ultimate form of knowing Him. This experience is the Basis of Knowing God intimately.
You don't know God more intimately than a Bible believing Christian just by claiming your experiences are deaper and more legitimate. You're pulling a rabit out of your hat.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See my post #46 about people going to hell because they didn't hear the gospel or repent and tell me again about "lack of seeing."
"Teamventure" Said: "Your assertions of knowing him more than others because your experiences are more intimate is ungrounded."

It was Jesus who said I never knew you, to religious people who believed in the One God.... They never experienced his presence in their life, and you are missing out on this. Sad to say this.... You see there is the kindness of God, and the severity of God, I am sure you know the verse... Romans 11:22.... I don't think you fully understand what it means to remain in His kindness, so yeah I will preach the Gospel, which means good news, and the Love of God, as positive to strive for, that does not mean i despise the hell fire preaching though, which has a place. Denying young believers, the experience of knowing the love and presence of God, like you and your youtube witchhunters like to do is just as evil as hell itself, however.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know God more intimately than a Bible believing Christian just by claiming your experiences are deaper and more legitimate. You're pulling a rabit out of your hat.
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine......My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:14,27

What you are exposing is the difference between textualism, and living experiential faith in relationship with the Living Word of God. You would do well to study what the cult of textualism is.

This is a point I have been trying to get across here and on other sites for a long time, only to be opposed by textualists who cannot see their spiritual blindness..... They are blind to their own blindness.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
"Teamventure" Said: "Your assertions of knowing him more than others because your experiences are more intimate is ungrounded."

It was Jesus who said I never knew you, to religious people who believed in the One God.... They never experienced his presence in their life, and you are missing out on this. Sad to say this.... You see there is the kindness of God, and the severity of God, I am sure you know the verse... Romans 11:22.... I don't think you fully understand what it means to remain in His kindness, so yeah I will preach the Gospel, which means good news, and the Love of God, as positive to strive for.
First of all, you just took scripture out of context again, Jesus will say I never knew you to people who do works in his name and experience his presence without doing his will which is believing in Christ for salvation.

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:22‭-‬23 NIV

Secondly, I am not missing out on God's presence in my life because I experience him every day in my heart, it is people who need to go to emotional gatherings who don't know him intimately.

Thirdly: What you said is not the gospel.
Love and striving for positivity is not the gospel.
The gospel is:
All have sinned and are destined to hell. Jesus's death on the cross and raising from the dead for our forgiveness and repenting from our sin, that is the gospel.
If all you believe is love and positivity then you are not saved.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine......My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:14,27

What you are exposing is the difference between textualism, and living experiential faith in relationship with the Living Word of God. You would do well to study what the cult of textualism is.

This is a point I have been trying to get across here and on other sites for a long time, only to be opposed by textualists who cannot see their spiritual blindness..... They are blind to their own blindness.

Once again, you claim your experiences with God are more valid when you don't even believe the gospel.
That is false.
Experience with God happens in harmony with the gospel not apart from it, and the result of being in the mighty and Holy presence of God is repentence.
If you don't believe the gospel, then you don't have the Holy Spirit to begin with.
The Holy Spirit convicts us, teaches what the word of God means, and points us to Christ.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, you just took scripture out of context again, Jesus will say I never knew you to people who do works in his name and experience his presence without doing his will which is believing in Christ for salvation.

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:22‭-‬23 NIV

Secondly, I am not missing out on God's presence in my life because I experience him every day in my heart, it is people who need to go to emotional gatherings who don't know him intimately.

Thirdly: What you said is not the gospel.
Love and striving for positivity is not the gospel.
The gospel is:
All have sinned and are destined to hell. Jesus's death on the cross and raising from the dead for our forgiveness and repenting from our sin, that is the gospel.
If all you believe is love and positivity then you are not saved.
The word to know here is the idiom used in relation to a husband knowing his wife, intimately and experientially, not just a head knowledge of God.... Do You understand.... Doing the will of God can only be done when we know him intimately like this, not how much book knowledge we have.... this is the Gospel, we believe with our heart, not just agree with facts, because we know Him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his suffering, being made conformable unto his death. Do You understand what I am saying here? All the facts about the bible, and about Jesus you may know is not Christian faith, but the relationship with the living word of God is what Christian faith is all about. I Brought up Charles Wesley and His testimony because he was a seminary educated preacher who went into the mission field before he was deeply saved by the Love of God, which made Him write the hymn I Posted the link for..... Let Him who is wise become a fool....
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. (1 Cor. 3:18)

Once again, you claim your experiences with God are more valid when you don't even believe the gospel.
That is false.
Experience with God happens in harmony with the gospel not apart from it, and the result of being in the mighty and Holy presence of God is repentence.
If you don't believe the gospel, then you don't have the Holy Spirit to begin with.
The Holy Spirit convicts us, teaches what the word of God means, and points us to Christ.
I Believe the Gospel of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, which is the Love of God for mankind through the death of His Son for Our sins. It is Good News, and brings Joy to those who receive it with their heart and know Him.

Reactions: shortangel

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok i don't know if we can share that stuff in here, but it was on CBN news website