The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 5:17

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

This is another scripture that proclaims the effects of Christ death unto those He died for, they shall reign in life by one.

Thats because the ones He died for will receive abundance of Grace and the Free Gift of righteousness.

Paul writes on down in vs 19, that all those Christ died for shall be made righteous, hence the free gift of righteousness.

The word receive here does not mean a offer was made and received or could have been rejected, but it means effectually given or applied to the ones receiving; Just like through Adam, men received death, we received condemnation, they were not offered to us but made to apply to us.

Those Jesus died for reign in this life because Jesus by His blood hath made us a Kingdom. Rev 1:5-6

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Notice vs 6 He hath made us King and Priest, being washed in His blood.

Thats why Paul says they shall reign in life, the atoning blood of Christ produces/accomplishes that effect.

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests solely because of His Blood.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Made Kings and Priest by His blood !

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests solely because of His Blood. Rev 1:5-6

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. See also Rev 5:9-10

So it is True that by His own blood He made us [those He died in behalf of] a Kingdom of priest.

All for whom Christ died will sooner or later in their life time, according to the purpose of God for them, become believers in Christ, to manifest their union with Him when He died, for they were in Him just as they were in Adam when He died, and Just as our union with Adam was made manifest by our being made sinners, so likewise, our union with Christ when He died is made manifest when we are made priest by Christ blood..

1 Pet 2:9

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

None can by their own freewill be made of a royal priesthood, its an Divine Appointment, and Christ by His blood, causes all for whom He died to become.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Atonement of Christ or the satisfaction of Christ took care of Two major problems that sinners had in regards to God's Holy Law, He Christ rendered a Perfect obedience to all its statues, and He endured it's punishment due for its violation for His People, those the Father had given Him, this death of Christ was the taking away of the sin and its punishment due to the elect world Jn 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

That is men and women of all ethnic groups. And all ages of world history.

Therefore the World of Jn 1:29 is a world saved by the Lamb !2

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It gives forgiveness or remission of sins !

Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The word remission here is the greek word aphesis and means:

release from bondage or imprisonment

2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

And it is translated forgiveness six times in the NT Mk 3:29;Acts 5:31;13:38;26:18;Eph 1:7;Col 1:14

And so one of blessings of the atonement or the blood of Christ accomplished alone, for all those He died for is the remission or forgiveness of their sins all of them Col 2:13

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

As just pointed out the word remission and forgiveness are the same in the greek, and means the cancellation of guilt, all legal guilt against the law of God, that properly belongs to guilty sinners , by means of Christ satisfaction [His Blood], He propitiated the Father in behalf of His People [Israel spiritual]. Christ made complete amends to the Law of God for every transgression which the sins of God's people committed. He by His death satisfied the alienation which our sins had made, He compensated for all the wrongs we had done against God's law Ps 69:4

then I restored that which I took not away.

So it is imperative to preach as an accomplishment of Christ blood the forgiveness of sins, not the possibility of , if a condition by the sinner is met, but premised completely on the blood of Christ Lk 24:47

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now both repentance and remission of sins were to proclaimed in Christ name, not as duties and conditions to get saved, but as accomplishments of His work on the cross, and He Now as a risen Saviour gives them to a chosen People [Israel] that's what peter preached Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Note: Israel here is not national Israel, but the Israel of God made of jew and gentile. national israel was a type for all God's chosen of all nations, so this scripture shows us the limited scope of intention and application of repentance and remission or forgiveness of sins. The preaching was that God's Chosen people, throughout the world might receive the knowledge of their salvation by the remission or forgiveness of their sins Lk 1:77

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Yes, remission of sins is salvation..but notice, who receives this knowledge ? His People. see Matt 1:21 about His people !

The knowledge of salvation by the remission of sins is a experiential knowledge resulting in a change of mind and behavior in granting repentance.. These are a effect and accomplishment of the atonement of Christ, and all for whom He died has forgiveness or remission of sins, for its a covenant blessing from His blood Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
more on remission of sins !

Reconciliation and Remission of sins or forgiveness of sins are connected with one another as per 2 Cor 5:19

19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

For that which was the ground of reconciliation [Christ death or blood]

It also was the ground for forgiveness of sins [Christ death or blood].

For certainly reconciliation implies in its nature a canceling out of the punishment of sin. Since it implies a being received into His Favor, God could receive us thusly, because our sins had been put away or remitted.

The greek word for remission aphesis means a sending away, and its also translated deliverance and liberty as in Lk 4:18

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Notice by the way who this liberty / remission was preached to, " The Poor " not economically poor but the poor in spirit, the regenerated, those who had been made sensible sinners by New Birth see Matt 5:3. The word is also translated forgiveness in Acts 13:38 and Eph 1:7.

Forgiveness is another way of preaching the Truth of non imputation of sin as in 2 Cor 5:19 and Rom 4:7-8.

The remission of sins means God refuses, and will not charge sin to their account for whom Christ died and who become believers. It denotes that there has been deliverance from the curse of the law, Christ having been made a curse for them Gal 3. There are other words used in the NT that means the same thing i.e Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

They [ their sins] have removed from the face of God the Judge.

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish Age (World) was destroyed in 70Ad. Their heaven and earth came crashing down around them.

The New Age (World) includes Jews and Gentiles to be able to worship God without having to go to Jerusalem, as it once previously was done in celebration of Passover?

That was what the atonement conquered; the payment of sin of all mankind to be covered by the blood shed of Jesus.

Anyone who decides to seek out God and Jesus and believes on the Gospel (death, burial, and resurrection) will receive the Holy Spirit from Jesus that comes from God.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More on remission of sins !

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

Trespasses are not laid to the Charge of the members of Christ body [ 2 nd Cor 5:19], because they were imputed to their Head Christ, for He was made sin for them, that is a sin offering. God the Father legally constituted Him to be an offering for sin in accordance with the agreement between them in the everlasting covenant. Made Him to be sin means that He appointed Him to be our substitute and to bare our sins, He became legally and officially liable to God's wrath and curse. see Gal 3:13.

Christ was made sin for God's people by the reckoning of our guilt to His own account, so much so, He called them His Transgressions and foolishness see Ps 69:5 and so Divine Justice was pleased to bruise Him [in our stead] for our sins, and so by His stripes we were healed.

Now the great evidence of one having had their sins remitted or forgiven is that they all will become believers in Him Acts 13:38-39

38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

And please pay attention to vs 39 whereby it states BY HIM, everyone believing is freed from the law of moses, they are believing by Him, through Him, because of the redemption in His blood. We will see later Lord willing how redemption has to do with believing in Christ..

So Christ is the instrumental means by which the elect believe..

A similar statement is found in 1 Pet 1:21

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Again, Christ being the instrumental means by which men believe in God, and Christ is God as well.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
John Calvin on:

Mark 14:24

Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race

These words spoken by Jesus Christ, are part of the Lord's Supper, when Judas was still present, and addressed also to him. This is very clear from Luke's Gospel Account, in chapter 22, "Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you (including Judas). But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table. And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!” (20-22). It is clear from Calvin on Mark 14:24, that he believed that Judas is included in the MANY.

John 1:29

Who taketh away the sin of the world. He uses the word sin in the singular number, for any kind of iniquity; as if he had said, that every kind of unrighteousness which alienates men from God is taken away by Christ. And when he says, the sin Of The World, he extends this favor indiscriminately to the whole human race; that the Jews might not think that he had been sent to them alone. But hence we infer that the whole world is involved in the same condemnation; and that as all men without exception are guilty of unrighteousness before God, they need to be reconciled to him. John the Baptist, therefore, by speaking generally of the sin of the world, intended to impress upon us the conviction of our own misery, and to exhort us to seek the remedy. Now our duty is, to embrace the benefit which is offered to all, that each of us may be convinced that there is nothing to hinder him from obtaining reconciliation in Christ, provided that he comes to him by the guidance of faith.”

John 3:16

That whosoever believeth on him may not perish. It is a remarkable commendation of faith, that it frees us from everlasting destruction. For he intended expressly to state that, though we appear to have been born to death, undoubted deliverance is offered to us by the faith of Christ; and, therefore, that we ought not to fear death, which otherwise hangs over us. And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the import of the term World, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life

Romans 5:18

“He makes this favor common to all, because it is propounded to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all; for though Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God's benignity indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive him”

Colossians 1:14

"He says that this redemption was procured through the blood of Christ, for by the sacrifice of his death all the sins of the world have been expiated"

The Reformed/Calvinstic teaching of a LIMITED extent for the Death of Jesus Christ, only for the ELECT, is a LIE from the devil himself!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And He bore the sin of many, not all.
2 Corinthians 5:14-15
[14]For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
[15]And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Hebrews 10:10
[10]By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

1 John 2:1-2
[1]My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
[2]And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Reactions: Wynona

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Atonement of Christ or the satisfaction of Christ took care of Two major problems that sinners had in regards to God's Holy Law, He Christ rendered a Perfect obedience to all its statues, and He endured it's punishment due for its violation for His People, those the Father had given Him, this death of Christ was the taking away of the sin and its punishment due to the elect world Jn 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

That is men and women of all ethnic groups. And all ages of world history.

Therefore the World of Jn 1:29 is a world saved by the Lamb !2

More UNBIBLICAL NONSENSE :eek:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
More UNBIBLICAL NONSENSE :eek:
Christ does not take away the sins of each and every person in the world, if so then each and every person would be saved.
Christ does take away the sins of those who believe in Him
You need to understand what the 'Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world' really means, it is not a blanket taking away of sins is it now...

John 8:23-25
New King James Version
23 And He said to them, “You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

25 Then they said to Him, “Who are You?”

And Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.

The people in v24, the Lamb of God did not take away their sins, as they were OF the world, and NOT OF God.

If I follow your logic, your saying that people go to hell with their sins taken away (forgiven them)

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christ does not take away the sins of each and every person in the world, if so then each and every person would be saved.
You need to understand what the 'Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world' really means, it is not a blanket taking away of sins is it now...

New King James Version
23 And He said to them, “You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

And Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.

The people in v24, the Lamb of God did not take away their sins, as they were OF the world, and NOT OF God.

John 3.16 teaches that God Loves the entire human race with a Saving Love

This Great Truth Calvinists reject

TahitiRun

Feb 28, 2022
AtlanticCoast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5:14-15
[14]For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
[15]And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Hebrews 10:10
[10]By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

1 John 2:1-2
[1]My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
[2]And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
Wonderful scriptures, all of them. However, they refer to the soul according to the spirit, ie: the breath and image of God. Not the carnal nature of the flesh. The flesh was reprobated and crucified in/with Christ on the cross so that we are no longer debtors to the flesh but rather the spirit.

TahitiRun

Feb 28, 2022
AtlanticCoast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

New King James Version

If I follow your logic, your saying that people go to hell with their sins taken away (forgiven them)
Jesus is speaking to the soul according to their flesh, not their spirit:

Joh 8:21 Again he said to them, "I go away, and you will seek me and die in your sin; where I am going, you cannot come."

1Co 15:50 I tell you this, brethren: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Status
Not open for further replies.