The Biblical Basis for Catholic Distinctives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“The pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not a mere man (…) he is as it were God on earth, sole sovereign of the faithful of Christ, chief of kings, having plenitude of power.” -Lucius Ferraris, «Prompta Bibliotheca», 1763, Volume VI, ‘Papa II’, pp.25-29

Apostate?
More lies. The Seventh Day Adventist use the same tactic, citing documents that cannot be verified on line.
But if the above citation is accurate, this would, of course, not be an equation of the pope with Jesus (which is absurd and blasphemous and which has never been taught by the Catholic Church), but a reference to the notion of alter Christus or little Christ — which means that the pope acts as a representative of Christ in his priestly function (as all priests do). The pope is also referred to as Peter sometimes; again, not literally, but in the sense of “successor.”
Debate: The Anti-Catholic “Pope as God” Argument | Dave Armstrong

Popes Claimed to be God? / Pope as Antichrist (vs. Calvin #23) [6-30-09]
What Year Did Popes Become Antichrist? (vs. John Calvin) [3-11-10]
Pope St. Pius V Claimed to be God (Say Anti-Catholics) [2-11-11]
Did a Bishop Say Pope St. John Paul II was God? [2-11-11]
“Pope is God”? Similar Rhetoric from Luther & Bullinger [2-24-11]

Another anti-Catholic LIE exposed.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As soon as folks realize that these so called protestant historians are doing the work of ROME to have us be one with her
the better. I Tried to tell us this unity we are one stuff is all over the place .
We have long had men who have come into protestantism to bring and guide us back to the CC .
MY advice , DONT . Its cannot be stopped but it can be exposed . Let no man gather under her shade .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the believers , aka churches had rest . That in no way enouraged me to join a harlot or its doctrine . How on earth can this justify that the CC is the one true church .
IT simply says the churcheS had rest . True lambs gather with true lambs . We are the body .
But in no way will i gather with those who sold out Christ and for centuries loved to have the pre emience and worship of men .
Having folks to kneel before them and kissing rings . And teaching to worship and pray to the created and not the Creator .
Now Fast forward to today and minus the blood shed its only got worse with that church so called .
The problem is you see things that are not there and all to point to YOUR CHURCH .
Lets POINT to CHRIST . That thing that was formed during the times of constantine was a betrayal to CHURCH of CHRIST
where The original apostels once sat .
Rather odd that when we read what is in the bible , that the apostles seemed to be equals , PETER did not seem to sit over them
Nor was he having them or others KISS HIS RINGS . Paul and others warned well of what was coming .
Men coming in to lead men astray and to draw desciples away After them own selves .
Did not take long either . You ever wonder why folks should have just returned to bible doctrine . SO as they would not be led
astray by men . How on earth acts chapter nine verse thirty one supports a false church , or attending it , Nope .
I had rather be thrown in the lowest prison of mire and dung than to join that church .
And i am not saying that to be mean . But rather because its true . If me having nothing to do with that church
but rather staying focused of preaching Christ and His teachings makes me in danger , JUDGE YE
but i cannot help but to follow the original sound doctrine and lovely teachings of Christ and the apostles .
SOMETHING THE CC abandoned a long , long , long time ago .
No worries you wont see me running to the prosperity gosple ones either , or the emergents
or anything or anyone that promotes dangerous doctrine . Whether or not that makes me saved , YOU JUDGE .
But I KNOW whom i follow and it aint the CC or any other that teaches grave dangers . ITS the GLORIOUS RISEN SAVOIR .
Now on that note i pray all will come out from men who do lead people astray and come back to the original path
the orginal way and the original doctrine first given to the church . Loving every word JESUS ever taught
as well as what the true apostels wrote and recorded .
And let none believe a lie that the other religions like buddism , muslim and etc SERVE the same GOD we DO .
A lie which vatican two made very clear . YEAH i say flee those pulpits and preach the only gosple that will save .
BELIEVE IN CHRIST . ANY who brings this pope francis led social gospel , which are many on all sides , FLEE .
And return to the one pure and holy and only life saving gospel of Christ .
HIS words will be our judge , not the popes , not yours , not mine , HIS WORDS .
SO let no man beleive this inclusvism lie , rather believe IN JESUS and preach HIM and ONLY HIM as the only means to attain salvation .
And JESUS even said , HE who beleives not will be condemned . A truth the popes have not taught in years .
THE CC wants to rule over all religoins and merge them as one . THE SOONER you figure this one out the better .
But to do so means you gotta pander to them . And thus they allow them the idea of being one of us and being saved
EVEN though they deny the one true CHRIST and His gosple . WELL i aint SITTING UNDER that nor having unity with it .
As usual - there are MANY things wong with your response - but I'll stick to the ones above in RED or we'll be here ALL day . . .

First of all - it DOESN'T say, "Chuirches". It says, "the church throughout" - which translates to “ekklesia katah-holos”.
So, if you want to have a serious discussion - then stop LYING and stick to the facts.

Secondly - you state that "true lambs gather with true lambs" and that you ate "one body".
HOWEVER - after several attempts - you STILL haven't been able to explain how ONE "true lamb" can have completely different doctrines based on a completely differentunderstanding of Scripture and be from the same Body.

As I showed you:
Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on.

Many of these are competing doctrines - so how do you know WHO is cporrect?
And please - just answer the question instead of blathering on again with another evasive "true lambs" diatribe.
Scripture commans us to give a REASONED respons when questions are asked of us (1 Pet. 3:15). . .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual - there are MANY things wong with your response - but I'll stick to the ones above in RED or we'll be here ALL day . . .

First of all - it DOESN'T say, "Chuirches". It says, "the church throughout" - which translates to “ekklesia katah-holos”.
So, if you want to have a serious discussion - then stop LYING and stick to the facts.

Secondly - you state that "true lambs gather with true lambs" and that you ate "one body".
HOWEVER - after several attempts - you STILL haven't been able to explain how ONE "true lamb" can have completely different doctrines based on a completely differentunderstanding of Scripture and be from the same Body.

As I showed you:
Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on.

Many of these are competing doctrines - so how do you know WHO is cporrect?
And please - just answer the question instead of blathering on again with another evasive "true lambs" diatribe.
Scripture commans us to give a REASONED respons when questions are asked of us (1 Pet. 3:15). . .
True lambs gather with true lambs and would expose all sin .
As far as pre mid or post trib i dont see that as a sin issue . Thus some of us who are already gathered
might not agree on that . But we work it out through scripture .
Now things that endanger a soul , like praying to mary and the saints and angels . THAT IS A DIRE DEADLY DANGER
and that has to be ceased . As far as soul sleep , no one fully understands that . SO again that is not a problem
Anymore than if one eats meat or dont . But SIN is another story .
And when i hear folks saying things like all the religoins serve the same GOD , THAT Is one of the most blasphemous
and total betrayal to the gospel . MUST be abandoned .
IF one supports sin , like murder , or homsexuality , THEY must be rebuked and corrected
IF they wont stop , WELL dont gather with that either .
The problem is , thanks to THE CC in large we got a dangerous deadly lie spreading through most all christendom .
And every time i exposed or expose even pope francis , SOME MEN Wont hear a word
but rather try and justify this man . Bad as the popes have been in my lifetime this one has tobe the most deceptive .
BUT folks are too buying buying into this false version of a false love that rather over looks deadly and dangerous doctrine
as well as sin , and let us just HAVE US SOME UNITY WITH THE CC AND ANYONE ELSE FOR that matter .
its not gonna bode well for those . Look around and see what even seeker friendly did .
it too leavend up the churches . UNITY for sake of unity is death
UNITY on the things of CHRIST IS LIFE . Another big and huge mistake this church age is making
is , they no longer preach the reconcilation that reconiles man to GOD . THEY DONT FOCUS on teaching
folks YOU must BELIEVE IN JESUS .
Instead they focus on reconciling man unto man , THIS WILL DO NO GOOD . THEY just bringing us all together
to be UNEQUALLY YOKED . ITS a mess my friend . A total mess .
And this mindset is all over the CC as well as the Protestant realm , AS well as the jews , as well as the muslims
as well as ..........THEY are all beginning to find common ground ,
UNDER A LIE . Cause our common ground aint found in the things of this world , ITS SUPPOSED TO BE CHRIST .
but if folks are being told NO need to have them preach Christ to these other religions but instead
try and find common ground . YOU CAN REST ASSURED i aint sitting under that . JESUS
and not the agenda of men gone wrong is what i will preach and teach . I SUGGEST all do the same .
Enough with this unity lets be one stuff . HAVE UNITY ONLY WITH those who call upon CHRIST out of a pure heart .
Not with other religoins . CONVERT THEM and if they heed not , MOVE ON LIKE PAUL DID and others did .
Today paul would seem as a monster , he would be called a hater and a divider . YET THE MAN risked all to preach the ONLY
hope one has , and to those who believed not , WELL They SHOOK the dust off and moved on , TODAYS LOVE says OH JUST GATHER WITH THEM ANYWAY . WRONG . I wont do it . I am kind to all , but JESUS gets preached and if they reject , well i MOVE ON .
I suggest we learn the pattern JESUS set and later we SEE the apostels keeping and doing .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
More lies. The Seventh Day Adventist use the same tactic, citing documents that cannot be verified on line.
But if the above citation is accurate, this would, of course, not be an equation of the pope with Jesus (which is absurd and blasphemous and which has never been taught by the Catholic Church), but a reference to the notion of alter Christus or little Christ — which means that the pope acts as a representative of Christ in his priestly function (as all priests do). The pope is also referred to as Peter sometimes; again, not literally, but in the sense of “successor.”
Debate: The Anti-Catholic “Pope as God” Argument | Dave Armstrong

Popes Claimed to be God? / Pope as Antichrist (vs. Calvin #23) [6-30-09]
What Year Did Popes Become Antichrist? (vs. John Calvin) [3-11-10]
Pope St. Pius V Claimed to be God (Say Anti-Catholics) [2-11-11]
Did a Bishop Say Pope St. John Paul II was God? [2-11-11]
“Pope is God”? Similar Rhetoric from Luther & Bullinger [2-24-11]

Another anti-Catholic LIE exposed.

Are you saying that the claim and its attributions, do not exist in the Catholic historical record?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True lambs gather with true lambs and would expose all sin .
As far as pre mid or post trib i dont see that as a sin issue . Thus some of us who are already gathered
might not agree on that . But we work it out through scripture .
Now things that endanger a soul , like praying to mary and the saints and angels . THAT IS A DIRE DEADLY DANGER
and that has to be ceased . As far as soul sleep , no one fully understands that . SO again that is not a problem
Anymore than if one eats meat or dont . But SIN is another story .
And when i hear folks saying things like all the religoins serve the same GOD , THAT Is one of the most blasphemous
and total betrayal to the gospel . MUST be abandoned .
IF one supports sin , like murder , or homsexuality , THEY must be rebuked and corrected
IF they wont stop , WELL dont gather with that either .
The problem is , thanks to THE CC in large we got a dangerous deadly lie spreading through most all christendom .
And every time i exposed or expose even pope francis , SOME MEN Wont hear a word
but rather try and justify this man . Bad as the popes have been in my lifetime this one has tobe the most deceptive .
BUT folks are too buying buying into this false version of a false love that rather over looks deadly and dangerous doctrine
as well as sin , and let us just HAVE US SOME UNITY WITH THE CC AND ANYONE ELSE FOR that matter .
its not gonna bode well for those . Look around and see what even seeker friendly did .
it too leavend up the churches . UNITY for sake of unity is death
UNITY on the things of CHRIST IS LIFE . Another big and huge mistake this church age is making
is , they no longer preach the reconcilation that reconiles man to GOD . THEY DONT FOCUS on teaching
folks YOU must BELIEVE IN JESUS .
Instead they focus on reconciling man unto man , THIS WILL DO NO GOOD . THEY just bringing us all together
to be UNEQUALLY YOKED . ITS a mess my friend . A total mess .
And this mindset is all over the CC as well as the Protestant realm , AS well as the jews , as well as the muslims
as well as ..........THEY are all beginning to find common ground ,
UNDER A LIE . Cause our common ground aint found in the things of this world , ITS SUPPOSED TO BE CHRIST .
but if folks are being told NO need to have them preach Christ to these other religions but instead
try and find common ground . YOU CAN REST ASSURED i aint sitting under that . JESUS
and not the agenda of men gone wrong is what i will preach and teach . I SUGGEST all do the same .
Enough with this unity lets be one stuff . HAVE UNITY ONLY WITH those who call upon CHRIST out of a pure heart .
Not with other religoins . CONVERT THEM and if they heed not , MOVE ON LIKE PAUL DID and others did .
Today paul would seem as a monster , he would be called a hater and a divider . YET THE MAN risked all to preach the ONLY
hope one has , and to those who believed not , WELL They SHOOK the dust off and moved on , TODAYS LOVE says OH JUST GATHER WITH THEM ANYWAY . WRONG . I wont do it . I am kind to all , but JESUS gets preached and if they reject , well i MOVE ON .
I suggest we learn the pattern JESUS set and later we SEE the apostels keeping and doing .
Thank you for openly admitting that you have NO response for the questions I asked of you in post #603.

I pretty much predicted your "true lambs with true lambs" noonsense - and you didn't disaapoint . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that the claim and its attributions, do not exist in the Catholic historical record?
If you had bothered to actually READ @Illuminator's post - you would have seen the answer to your question.

To make it more clear to you - NO - the Cathollic Church does NOT teach that the Pope is equal to God. As the post indicates - this is nothing more than the usual anti-Catholic SDA manure.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - it's a fact.
Baptism into the Church leaves an indelible mark on the soul.

You can reject it . .

I require no permission from you to reject your dialogue, your accusations, your snarky comments, your anger, your truths, your claims, your speaking for others.... all day long. :p

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yawn...Same ole, same ole, Your words, your thoughts, FAIL again.
Ummmmm, no.
The following is a fail . . .

QUESTIONS:
Ummmm - where is the word, "Protestant" in Scripture?
"Lutheran"?
"Non-Denominational"?
"Revival"?

Can you show me where the Bible mentions the word, "Bible" - or the list of Books that beliongs in it?

While you're letting that sink in - show me where the Bible mentions ANY of the followoing false Protestant ideas: by name . . .
"Sola Scriptura"?
"Sola Fide"?
"Accepting Christ as 'personal Lord and Savior'"?
"Limited Atonement"?
"Altar Call"?
"Eternal Security"?

"Pre-Millennial"?

YOUT response?
Uhhhh - I refuse to answer that!
Those questions are irrelevant!

As "irrelevant" as demanding to be shown ehere the wornd, "Catholic" is found in Scripture?
A gigantic hypocritical failure on yout part . . .

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you had bothered to actually READ @Illuminator's post - you would have seen the answer to your question.

To make it more clear to you - NO - the Cathollic Church does NOT teach that the Pope is equal to God. As the post indicates - this is nothing more than the usual anti-Catholic SDA manure.

It certainly taught back then that the pope is equal to God. What pope formally and publicly renounced that teaching?

Name, date, and verbatim renunciation, please.

If you're doubting:

“...the appellation of God had been confirmed by Constantine on the Pope, who, being God, cannot be judged by man.” – Labb IX Dist.: 96 Can. 7, Satis evidentur, Decret Gratian Primer Para.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'll try, as it is difficult to explain a misunderstood doctrine for hundreds of years, in a few lines. Otherwise we'd just be misunderstanding and attacking each other 2 lines at a time.

God saw that Mary was blessed among women, and gave her a big role - deliver Jesus to earth in order to accomplish God's redemption plan.

God has given authority to Peter, to attend to the spiritual needs of the people - Jesus told Peter: "feed My sheep" John 21:15-17. He trusted Peter with making sure that His teachings and commandments reach people throughout the world, and even perform miracles in His name. But He did not instruct him to create "New-Testament Part 2"!! Or make changes in the structure of God and His heaven! Converting people from humans to Gods is not the business of the Vatican:
...blah, blah, blah It is my own site, and is solely dedicated to God: RealBibleStudy.org
It's full of lies, falsehoods, and gross misrepresentations. It would take book to refute them line by line. Your anti-Mary obsession is not biblical.
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT MARY BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK
Mary: The Blessed Virgin (Index Page) | Dave Armstrong
THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY - Scripture Catholic
https://www.motherofallpeoples.com/post/scott-hahn-mary-new-ark-of-the-eternal-covenant

The essential truths in what we believe has never changed. Have you ever read Exodus 20:16? It's one of the 10 Commandments. Your "anti-Catholic non-denomination" IS A DENOMINATION, AN OXYMORON! You have dogmatized a set of beliefs based on lies, ignorance and prejudice in your privatized version of Christianity.
You are like the guy who breaks up with his girlfriend and then spends the rest of his life badmouthing her.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It certainly taught back then that the pope is equal to God. What pope formally and publicly renounced that teaching?

Name, date, and verbatim renunciation, please.

If you're doubting:

“...the appellation of God had been confirmed by Constantine on the Pope, who, being God, cannot be judged by man.” – Labb IX Dist.: 96 Can. 7, Satis evidentur, Decret Gratian Primer Para.
It was never a teaching, so it cannot be formally and publicly renounced. You don't like my answer in 601, so you continue to adulterate historical documents that have no meaning to Catholics. Since you are so good at ignoring everything I say, good bye.

OIP.fZ8T3JtvT8Q9o2Ck1LIwzwHaEC

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was never a teaching, so it cannot be formally and publicly renounced. You don't like my answer in 601, so you continue to adulterate historical documents that have no meaning to Catholics. Since you are so good at ignoring everything I say, good bye.

OIP.fZ8T3JtvT8Q9o2Ck1LIwzwHaEC

Ignore away. The historical records are unassailable.

“For thou art the shepherd, thou art the physician, thou art the director, thou art the husbandman, finally thou art another God on earth.” Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils.” Vol. XIV, col. 109

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

True. The CC doesn't teach that. But in practise the CC holds the Pope on higher esteem than God, with the assumed power and authority to overturn even God's Commandments.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. The CC doesn't teach that. But in practise the CC holds the Pope on higher esteem than God, with the assumed power and authority to overturn even God's Commandments.
The Catholic Church does NOT teach that the Pope is higher than God, nor does it hold the Pope on higher esteem than God in practice.

Where in the world anti-Catholics get their false information from is beyond me.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ignore away. The historical records are unassailable.

“For thou art the shepherd, thou art the physician, thou art the director, thou art the husbandman, finally thou art another God on earth.” Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils.” Vol. XIV, col. 109
Who is the "thou" that's being spoken of?
Have you even read the History of the Councils? Have you read anything from this volume other than what you quoted in order to get the context of what was written...and WHY...and about WHOM?

By the way...even if the quote was written about the Pope, it does NOT mean that the Pope himself said this, nor does it mean that what's written is accepted by the Church.

And, regarding "historical records"...

Not ALL historical records are accurate...or even truthful. This is WHY you have to do your own thorough homework.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who is the "thou" that's being spoken of?
Have you even read the History of the Councils? Have you read anything from this volume other than what you quoted in order to get the context of what was written...and WHY...and about WHOM?

By the way...even if the quote was written about the Pope, it does NOT mean that the Pope himself said this, nor does it mean that what's written is accepted by the Church.

And, regarding "historical records"...

Not ALL historical records are accurate...or even truthful. This is WHY you have to do your own thorough homework.

You're the Catholic. About whom other than the pope would a Catholic say, "thou art another God on earth"?

If it isn't accepted by the Church, why is there no record of the Church having renounced it?