The blind converting the blind

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I question the claims of human beings who profess lofty ideas about how to live a Godly life, but prove by their own behaviour and attitude that those concepts do not actually work as they believe it should for everybody else.

Reactions: Nancy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I question the claims of human beings who profess lofty ideas about how to live a Godly life, but prove by their own behaviour and attitude that those concepts do not actually work as they believe it should for everybody else.

As you should. Rules... they have proven to only cover up the human condition. As people obey out of self preservation. I believe obedience to the law should come naturally, if one is truly being transformed. Christians are a work in progress, so we can't expect to realize sinless perfection in these bodies.

Attitudes are influenced by personality, maturity, and sometimes people are having a hard time. God alone knows what is in the heart. How can men judge it?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The behavior of Christians doesn’t change the truth. You and I will stand before Almighty God and be judged by Him. And we will not be able to blame others for our choices.

But you have an opportunity to choose to accept God’s forgiveness right now. Jesus took the sins of the world on Himself so that we can be saved from eternal punishment. That’s the truth!

I pray that you will choose Jesus!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I actually don't mind this criticism. There have been a lot of excuses on the part of Christians in the past excusing away their bad behavior, and the God of scripture certainly has never excused it for a second. So I welcome it. I think without being clothed in the true righteousness of God in our conduct, Christians are not wearing even the most basic part of the armor of God, and I believe scripture teaches that of all men believers should be most righteous and morally upright of all, which is again why I actually welcome the criticism. Scripture says, "Rebuke a wise man and he will thank you," and the more believers are corrected, even by unbelievers, the more their conduct with start falling in line with the Spirit of the True and Living God.

God bless, and thanks for the post.
Hidden In Him

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Romans 2:17-24 actually speaks about this situation. It is more an admonishment to believers, because by their bad behavior the gospel is hindered.

So consider you may have fallen into this trap. Unwittingly layed by Christians.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen this subject come up a lot in an ongoing basis over the years.

Whittling down the subject to its most basic and qualifying question is this:
What constitutes living a Christian lifestyle?
OR
What does Christian living look like?

Looking at the Gospels and trying to make a set of codified laws of "do's and do nots" from them would be rather difficult and wouldn't make a lot of sense.
Such as "Don't wash your hands" in the face of a global pandemic or trying to leave the bathroom....Ummm...yeah. nuff said!

How about strangling pigs?
Offering incense to idols?
Taking part in an orgy with a temple prostitute?
Ok...these things have SPCA rules and laws concerning them and/or are nearly impossible to do if you wanted to.

So...
Where some biblical knowledge is necessary we have Jesus telling the scribes and Pharisees in John 5:39 something about why studying the scriptures isn't always going to get you what you want. Apparently even Satan can quote scriptures.
How much less then do devotionals have a positive effect?

I mean by that everyone wants to be known as a "Good guy"... especially in Christian circles.

So it must be something different.

John, in one of his later letters, talks about how hating your brother while claiming to love Jesus means that you are a liar... even if you didn't intend on lying. (The most common excuse)
And I think that this is one of those crucial things.
Jesus said that we will know other Christians by their fruits.

Such things as grace, forgiveness, mercy, giving, and kindness.
Abstaining from the appearance of evil.
Dressing "modestly" which basically means to dress to appear average and not call attention to yourself. (If everyone is in formal attire then don't wear jeans....and conversely if everyone is in swimsuits don't wear a 3-piece suit)

It's mentioned about being a bondservant or slave to Christ. Your life now belongs to God... meaning that all you have and all you are going to be having is God's...not yours.

The big IOW is that everyone but you comes first in your thinking.
And this attitude/thinking is sorely lacking in "Your best life now" type thinking.

I do have a rich and full life. More than I ever thought possible. But I live day by day concentrating on what I can do to please God and what do for others that God would be pleased with.
I have talents, gifts and abilities that God has given me the drive to learn and to do...I use them for him. I don't know what the future holds...but my dedication to the lifestyle I've signed up for is non-negotiable.

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
The behavior of Christians doesn’t change the truth. You and I will stand before Almighty God and be judged by Him. And we will not be able to blame others for our choices.

But you have an opportunity to choose to accept God’s forgiveness right now. Jesus took the sins of the world on Himself so that we can be saved from eternal punishment. That’s the truth!

I pray that you will choose Jesus!
And equally you have the opportunity to choose to not believe.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
As you should. Rules... they have proven to only cover up the human condition. As people obey out of self preservation. I believe obedience to the law should come naturally, if one is truly being transformed. Christians are a work in progress, so we can't expect to realize sinless perfection in these bodies.

Attitudes are influenced by personality, maturity, and sometimes people are having a hard time. God alone knows what is in the heart. How can men judge it?
I think humans have God and Nature mixed up. I coud say earth is our creator, and the creator of earth is unfathomable.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Romans 2:17-24 actually speaks about this situation. It is more an admonishment to believers, because by their bad behavior the gospel is hindered.

So consider you may have fallen into this trap. Unwittingly layed by Christians.
The belief trap.

Now I'm thinking about traps and such, wasn't the fall of Adam and Eve caused solely by believing what the serpent said to them? They both fell for the sales pitch and took hold of the knowledge of good & evil based on a belief.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I question the claims of human beings who profess lofty ideas about how to live a Godly life, but prove by their own behavior and attitude that those concepts do not actually work as they believe it should for everybody else.

Ummmmmmmm, TRUTH is a funny thing. We can ALWAYS excuse our own bad behavior by pointing to someone else who's not PERFECT. -- Sounds like a reasonable approach, except one is content in their "sin" but the other is frustrated in theirs. -- Consider Paul who wrote:

Romans 7:19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.

So my argument is to NOT use our Failed Nature but instead use SCIENCE, -- understanding that "Science" means you can "test" given situation OBJECTIVELY. For example consider evaluating ancient Bible passages which tell about the future to see if they actually came TRUE. It's actually quite simple and if GOD's Word is CORRECT then you can base your Acceptance or Rejection of GOD on FACTS rather than false justifications.

But most people don't want FACTS. They prefer excuses because it was NEVER not about TRUTH, but instead is simply an attempt to salve their own guilty conscience.

A Man can only fool himself so many times; and can NEVER fool GOD.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think humans have God and Nature mixed up. I coud say earth is our creator, and the creator of earth is unfathomable.
That would make sense, that there is a hierarchy of creation. But i believe all of God's attributes are fitting his place at the top of the hierarchy. So he is able to comprehend infinite detail, in the whole universe, spanning all time. And I doubt that is even the half of it. It is written the hairs of our heads are all numbered.

The belief trap.

Now I'm thinking about traps and such, wasn't the fall of Adam and Eve caused solely by believing what the serpent said to them? They both fell for the sales pitch and took hold of the knowledge of good & evil based on a belief.
I don't know if they can be blamed for believing Satan over God. That requires they already have knowledge of good and evil. They could have believed both, and still not eaten. But they were tempted to eat and be like God, and so they sinned.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And equally you have the opportunity to choose to not believe.

No, it's not that simple. Believing in Jesus isn't like turning on and off a light bulb. When we first believe in Him, something incredible happens to us. We are born again, made alive by God's Holy Spirit, who comes into us to live. At this point, our bodies become the temple of the Holy Spirit. We are transferred from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of Jesus, who becomes our Lord and Friend.

So...believing in Jesus is more than what we think. It's what we are.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

• People are geared toward desiring Comfort.
Meaning-
From liking a warm blanket, Fire, on a cold day, hugs, TO the company of like-minded, like-hearted People.

• Many people are forthright, in what they Stand FOR.

• Many people are Deceiving, in what they Stand FOR.

A Deceiving Person can easily Deceive a forthright person.
Speak about Godliness, agree in Godliness, befriend another, participate together social and family gatherings, Be helpful/ neighborly.... FOR YEARS...

And then...What does the forthright Person Do...
WHEN;
1) the deceiving person's Skeleton closet IS OPENED?
2) the "god" "they" have been exalting, IS NOT the same "Heavenly Lord God Almighty"?

Doesn't the forthright person become the SUBJECT of Accusations, Whispers, Gossip?

I see, even on this forum, geared primarily toward Christianity:
• A little introductory notation of Religious Standing...(which at the onset Anyone would PRESUME a person Geared toward A Godly Life, OF thee Heavenly God)...but then the Fact is: repetitive Long posts of Personal Hate, Gossip, Accusations, Envy.

THAT ^ is PRECISELY- a man's Carnal Mind thoughts and spiritual HEART thoughts ---> IN CONFLICT.

• Lord God Almighty is His Own Counselor -
Spirit, Will, Word, Power, Alway in Agreement.
All-Ways man's Supreme Example.

Interesting OP subject.

PRAY For our Nation.
Glory to God,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, it's not that simple. Believing in Jesus isn't like turning on and off a light bulb. When we first believe in Him, something incredible happens to us. We are born again, made alive by God's Holy Spirit, who comes into us to live. At this point, our bodies become the temple of the Holy Spirit. We are transferred from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of Jesus, who becomes our Lord and Friend.

@Prayer Warrior Not mere mental assent; but by God's grace there must be a work of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Ummmmmmmm, TRUTH is a funny thing. We can ALWAYS excuse our own bad behavior by pointing to someone else who's not PERFECT. -- Sounds like a reasonable approach, except one is content in their "sin" but the other is frustrated in theirs. -- Consider Paul who wrote:

Romans 7:19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.

So my argument is to NOT use our Failed Nature but instead use SCIENCE, -- understanding that "Science" means you can "test" given situation OBJECTIVELY. For example consider evaluating ancient Bible passages which tell about the future to see if they actually came TRUE. It's actually quite simple and if GOD's Word is CORRECT then you can base your Acceptance or Rejection of GOD on FACTS rather than false justifications.

But most people don't want FACTS. They prefer excuses because it was NEVER not about TRUTH, but instead is simply an attempt to salve their own guilty conscience.

A Man can only fool himself so many times; and can NEVER fool GOD.
Bobby Jo
We all have skeletons hidden away (As people say) But so long as your skeletons are more gross than mine, I can excuse my skeletons hidden inside.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That would make sense, that there is a hierarchy of creation. But i believe all of God's attributes are fitting his place at the top of the hierarchy. So he is able to comprehend infinite detail, in the whole universe, spanning all time. And I doubt that is even the half of it. It is written the hairs of our heads are all numbered.

I don't know if they can be blamed for believing Satan over God. That requires they already have knowledge of good and evil. They could have believed both, and still not eaten. But they were tempted to eat and be like God, and so they sinned.
There's more to life than good & evil.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia

So it is all about you?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There's more to life than good & evil.

When it comes to Adam and Eve the introduction of sin into the world is a big deal. If you want to talk about something else I'm game.