The Bride

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @larry2,

Thank you for responding. I agree that Paul strove to attain the added 'prize' associated with the high calling of God, in Christ Jesus. (Phil 3:14), but we differ in regard to our understanding of it, it would seem, Laarry.

* I don't believe that the Church which is the Body of Christ is the subject of the book of Revelation.

* 'The Bride', which is the subject of this thread, and of Revelation 21, is the New Jerusalem which is described as 'a bride adorned for her husband'; i.e., It represents and contains 'the bride of the Lamb'. The Bride is 'of' Israel. It is a 'heavenly' calling, and is spoken of as such in Hebrews 3:1, of which certain believing Israelites were partakers. Among whom were those also of the Old Testament saints, such as Abraham of course.

'Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling,
consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;'

* They were, 'strangers and pilgrims,' having here, 'no continuing city', but looked for one to come, Genesis 23:4, 1 Peter 2:11, Hebrews 11:13-16, Hebrews 11:10. The Holy City which came down out of heaven from God, will be the 'better country', and 'the city' for which the Old Testament saints who held that heavenly calling looked. 'The elect remnant' also. Then there are 'The Overcomers' of the great tribulation, who reign with Christ during the millennial reign and the Twelve Apostles of the Christ who were promised that high honour in Matt. 29:28.

* The church is part of the Bridegroom, not the Bride.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

It does not say that to Jerusalem is the bride. It says, that,"prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband." A descriptive of its beauty.

What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It does not say that to Jerusalem is the bride. It says, that,"prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband." A descriptive of its beauty.

What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?
'And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down from God out of heaven,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.'

(Rev 21:2)

Hello @CoreIssue,

I didn't say, 'to Jerusalem is the bride'. I agree that the New Jerusalem is described as 'a bride adorned for her husband'. The New Jerusalem is spoken of in Revelation 21, in that way.

Looking up the word 'bride', I have found reference to Jerusalem (Zion) which also speak of 'adorning' in this way, which it may be profitable to consider, in their contexts:- Isaiah 49:18; Isaiah 61:10; Isaiah 62:5.

* We are not told that the church is the 'bride of Christ,' @CoreIssue. The New Jerusalem is spoken of as, 'The Bride of the Lamb'. Though the Lord Jesus Christ is referred to as, 'The Lamb of God', we should still keep the terminology true to what is written, for every word has it's place in Scripture, and should be acknowledged.

* The Church is not, 'The Bride of the Lamb': the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of Heaven to the earth is.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: amadeus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hebrews 7:3 "Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually."

Who can this be but Christ?

Hello @n2thelight,

Hebrews 7:17, 23-28 speak of the Lord Jesus Christ as a priest, 'after the order of Melchizedek'. Mechizedek himself was not Christ, but is said to be 'made like unto the Son of God'. He was a type only: to illustrate the priesthood of Christ, in contrast with the Levitical priesthood.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* The Church is not, 'The Bride of the Lamb': the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of Heaven to the earth is.

The old has passed away and ALL things are made new in Christ: flesh and bone.
Ephesians 5:30-31 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. [31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Matthew 19:5-6
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

We “cleave” to Christ, do we not? “All things have been made new.” Both joined therefore making “peace”. Not promoting division but “Peace”...a new creature.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 40:7
[7] Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Reactions: farouk

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The old has passed away and ALL things are made new in Christ: flesh and bone.
Ephesians 5:30-31 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. [31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Matthew 19:5-6
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

We “cleave” to Christ, do we not? “All things have been made new.” Both joined therefore making “peace”. Not promoting division but “Peace”...a new creature.

Hello @VictoryinJesus,

Ephesians 5:25-32 was used to illustrate the relationship between husband and wife, wasn't it? We are indeed members of his Body, 'of His flesh, and of His bones', Praise God! We cannot be closer than that can we? His Body! So identified with Him, that we are reckoned as having died with Him, been buried with Him, quickened with Him, raised with Him, and ascended with Him to God's right hand. Praise His Holy Name!

We do 'cleave' unto Him, as ivy around a tree, drawing our sustenance from Him. The peace that He made on the cross for us, both with God the Father, and with each other, both Jew and Gentile (by abolished the ordinances that were against us - Ephesians 2:15) is sure, and it is that peace which we are to endeavour to 'keep', aren't we? (Ephesians 4:3-6) - As part of the Unity of the Spirit, by acknowledging our completeness in Christ.

However the members of the Church which is His Body, are not spoken of as His 'Bride', but as His 'Body', It is the elect out of Israel itself, who form part of 'the Bride', and inhabit the New Jerusalem on the New Earth.

Isaiah 61 is a good chapter to read, I think.

Thank you, @VictoryinJesus
In Christ Jesus
Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @VictoryinJesus,

Ephesians 5:25-32 was used to illustrate the relationship between husband and wife, wasn't it? We are indeed members of his Body, 'of His flesh, and of His bones', Praise God! We cannot be closer than that can we? His Body! So identified with Him, that we are reckoned as having died with Him, been buried with Him, quickened with Him, raised with Him, and ascended with Him to God's right hand. Praise His Holy Name!

We do 'cleave' unto Him, as ivy around a tree, drawing our sustenance from Him. The peace that He made on the cross for us, both with God the Father, and with each other, both Jew and Gentile (by abolished the ordinances that were against us - Ephesians 2:15) is sure, and it is that peace which we are to endeavour to 'keep', aren't we? (Ephesians 4:3-6) - As part of the Unity of the Spirit, by acknowledging our completeness in Christ.

However the members of the Church which is His Body, are not spoken of as His 'Bride', but as His 'Body', It is the elect out of Israel itself, who form part of 'the Bride', and inhabit the New Jerusalem on the New Earth.

Isaiah 61 is a good chapter to read, I think.

Thank you, @VictoryinJesus
In Christ Jesus
Chris

consider:

We sow in peace, correct. “Peacemakers”. You said we are of the bridegroom and not the bride but according to what God said of marriage they are the same...made whole as we are made whole when joined to Christ. Regardless of whether you say the bride is of one and the bridegroom of another: they are One. (In Spirit of the Lord).

Revealing the heart of charity: 1 Kings 3:24-28 And the king said, Bring me a sword. And they brought a sword before the king. [25] And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other. [26] Then spake the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her bowels yearned upon her son, and she said, O my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it . [27] Then the king answered and said, Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it: she is the mother thereof. [28] And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king: for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment.

Philippians 1:8-9
[8] For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. [9] And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

Romans 16:17
[17] Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Philemon 1:7
[7] For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

Philemon 1:11-12
[11] Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: [12] Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:

Philippians 2:1-10
[1] If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, [2] Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. [3] Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. [4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. [9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: [10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

—of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; ...

Luke 23:34
[34] Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
consider:

We sow in peace, correct. “Peacemakers”. You said we are of the bridegroom and not the bride but according to what God said of marriage they are the same...made whole as we are made whole when joined to Christ. Regardless of whether you say the bride is of one and the bridegroom of another: they are One. (In Spirit of the Lord).

Revealing the heart of charity: 1 Kings 3:24-28 And the king said, Bring me a sword. And they brought a sword before the king. [25] And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other. [26] Then spake the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her bowels yearned upon her son, and she said, O my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it . [27] Then the king answered and said, Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it: she is the mother thereof. [28] And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king: for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment.

[8] For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. [9] And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

[17] Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

[7] For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

[11] Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: [12] Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:

Philippians 2:1-10 KJV
[1] If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, [2] Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. [3] Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. [4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. [9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: [10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Hello @VictoryinJesus,

God used different figures of speech in order to differentiate and describe certain things. He speaks of a 'Bride', a 'Bridegroom', a 'Body', they all have facets which need to be considered separately, otherwise they would not be used.

There are different callings, different hopes attached to them, and different spheres in which they will be enjoyed. Be it on the earth, or in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, The nation of Israel were given promises, which will be fulfilled in the earth, and so have the elect of Israel who look for a city whose builder and maker is God whose calling is a heavenly one. Whereas the Body, have their hope expressed in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. So what God has separated I will not join together.

We will all accomplish God's purpose and serve as a unified whole: but just as a man and wife, though united as one, are two separate individuals working with one purpose, so too the callings though differentiated and fulfilling different goals ultimately in their allotted spheres; are united in Christ Jesus.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down from God out of heaven,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.'

(Rev 21:2)

Hello @CoreIssue,

I didn't say, 'to Jerusalem is the bride'. I agree that the New Jerusalem is described as 'a bride adorned for her husband'. The New Jerusalem is spoken of in Revelation 21, in that way.

Looking up the word 'bride', I have found reference to Jerusalem (Zion) which also speak of 'adorning' in this way, which it may be profitable to consider, in their contexts:- Isaiah 49:18; Isaiah 61:10; Isaiah 62:5.

* We are not told that the church is the 'bride of Christ,' @CoreIssue. The New Jerusalem is spoken of as, 'The Bride of the Lamb'. Though the Lord Jesus Christ is referred to as, 'The Lamb of God', we should still keep the terminology true to what is written, for every word has it's place in Scripture, and should be acknowledged.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
City is figurative of the people living in it. The New Jerusalem is the place prepared for the Church.

Buildings are not people. They're not brides.

There's only one bride in the Bible, the Church.

The Wedding Supper of the Lamb is not Christ marrying the New Jerusalem, but the Church.

Adorned as a bride is not the same as being a bride.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the two women represent the leaders (and those who assume the role of teacher) of the two peoples that make up the Church: those of the Nations and those of the Jews. Their children are the peoples from each group that they nurse with the teaching of Christ and the Law, respectively. The woman that gave birth first and subsequently killed her child are the Jewish leaders who, through their distorted teachings, let astray (as in killed) those who followed them rejecting Christ. This interpretation may appear contrary to the text, but we can’t assume that the first mother spoke the truth. Plus, is it possible for a mother not to sense her child being taken away from her arms?* Now the Jews and the modern day Judaizers have no problem dividing the Church, but the true mother, those who really love Christ, won’t accept this and thus the child, the body of Christ, is given to… VictoryinJesus to nurse with the milk of her teaching.

Something like that? :)

* If the opposite is true, we can still maintain that the Jews are the ones that killed the child by saying that the Gospel (Abraham's faith for example) preceded the Law, even though the later ‘blocked’ the former for a time, just like Zerah was the first but Perez interrupted him (Genesis 38:27-30).

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
City is figurative of the people living in it. The New Jerusalem is the place prepared for the Church.

Buildings are not people. They're not brides.

There's only one bride in the Bible, the Church.

The Wedding Supper of the Lamb is not Christ marrying the New Jerusalem, but the Church.

Adorned as a bride is not the same as being a bride.

Hello @CoreIssue,

Of course buildings are not people, but Jerusalem is spoken of in those terms in the references I gave you.

I leave your beliefs in God's hands, for I know that no amount of words from me will change your mind.

May God's will be done.
Chris

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @CoreIssue,

Of course buildings are not people, but Jerusalem is spoken of in those terms in the references I gave you.

I leave your beliefs in God's hands, for I know that no amount of words from me will change your mind.

May God's will be done.
Chris
I was building on what you said, not denying it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
consider:

Philippians 2:1-10

Luke 23:34
[34] Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
John 14.27 is another great verse about peace:

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
After 6 pages from the OP ,question has still not been answered..

Again, I asked the question to show that Israel has always been the Church.

God promised to re-marry Israel,correct?And we know the Bride is the Church correct?

My question is will God have 2 brides?My answer to my own question is no.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Who is the Bride,Israel or the Church?

Hello @n2thelight,

Neither of those you itemize is 'The Bride'. The Bride is called out of Israel. it is the reward of faithfulness to those who, like Abraham, believed God, and were faithful, even unto death, in hope of a 'better resurrection'. Who looked for a city, whose Builder and Maker is God.

our risen and glorified,
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

"All that we have learned from our youth up must be tested and proved by the Word of God. Where we find it is true we must learn it over again, from God. And where it will not stand the test of His Word we must be not only content, but thankful to give it up; and receive Divine revelation in the place of man's imagination."
" E. W. Bullinger, D.D.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Hello

Hello @n2thelight,

Neither of those you itemize is 'The Bride'. The Bride is called out of Israel. it is the reward of faithfulness to those who, like Abraham, believed God, and were faithful, even unto death, in hope of a 'better resurrection'. Who looked for a city, whose Builder and Maker is God.

our risen and glorified,
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

"All that we have learned from our youth up must be tested and proved by the Word of God. Where we find it is true we must learn it over again, from God. And where it will not stand the test of His Word we must be not only content, but thankful to give it up; and receive Divine revelation in the place of man's imagination."
" E. W. Bullinger, D.D.

So who is the Bride?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So who is the Bride?

"There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her." Song of Solomon 6:8-9