The Death of Jesus - Matthew 27:45-54

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ecclesiastes 3
1 Everything that happens in this world happens at the time God chooses.
True, but you asked if God was King in the Earth today and the answer is no - its true there is no other power than God's power, however a King must have a land, subjects and be appointed King - none of that has taken place to date - still to come!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't think you "understand" how serious it is what you said about Jesus.

"Jesus was condemned in himself!"

It's very serious Jack! It's precisely why Jesus died.

Let me ask you a question...was Jesus held under the dominion of death?

Be careful how you answer that!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's very serious Jack! It's precisely why Jesus died.

Let me ask you a question...was Jesus held under the dominion of death?

Be careful how you answer that!
No! He chose to lay His life down and raise it up again.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True, but you asked if God was King in the Earth today and the answer is no - its true there is no other power than God's power, however a King must have a land, subjects and be appointed King - none of that has taken place to date - still to come!

I don't think I said in the earth by of the earth and earth is land.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't think I said in the earth by of the earth and earth is land.
So there is an appointed time for Christ to be King - not yet though he is King to his servants now.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is where the Masters death gets very interesting indeed.

Matthew 27:51

The “Veil … Rent, Top to Bottom”

Divine activity in Christ has removed the barrier of flesh. The way into the holiest is manifest Hebrews 9:8, Hebrews 10:20

98% of Christians have no idea on the true meaning of the veil being rent!

Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, 10:20 by the fresh and living way that he inaugurated for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh

Who wants to have a go?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are saying the natural process of aging and eventual death was not in Jesus?
TOTALLY irrelevant. Jesus was either a sinner or He wasn't. I say He wasn't. And so does the Bible.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is where the Masters death gets very interesting indeed.

The “Veil … Rent, Top to Bottom”

Divine activity in Christ has removed the barrier of flesh. The way into the holiest is manifest Hebrews 9:8, Hebrews 10:20

98% of Christians have no idea on the true meaning of the veil being rent!

The veil being torn in two means also that the temple is obsolete, animal sacrifices are obsolete, Levitical priests obsolete

Reactions: face2face

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
TOTALLY irrelevant. Jesus was either a sinner or He wasn't. I say He wasn't. And so does the Bible.
For most discernible Christians they would see your response as an unwillingness to enter the Word of God (Psalms 119:130). To explain this in brutally honest terms, it means you dont have light in you because you are only wanting to believe in doctrine which reinforces your own misconceptions. Jesus entered many a discussion with believers like you and rarely, if ever, did they repent and learn from the Lord - notably Nicodemus was a rare example. However, what about those Christians who are afraid to have a go? Jesus engaged with believers like BeyondET as they are not afraid of being found in error, like Peter who was rebuked many times throughout the Lords ministry for getting it wrong! What of those who quietly pass by without a word...happy to continue in ignorance afraid to be challenged and even more afraid to give an answer of the hope which is in them? No, the pendulum has swung but well done to BeyondET for giving it a crack!
TBC...

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Cont

“The Earth did quake” - Always a sign of God's divine displeasure as per Psalms 18:6-7 and a cameo of a future event Zechariah 14:5 which the saints wait in earnest.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 27:52

@Phoneman777 “Bodies of the Saints” - Obviously those who had died recently and who would be known by friends and relatives in Jerusalem.

Matthew 27:53

“After his Resurrection” - Another cameo! “Christ the first fruits” 1 Corinthians 15:23.

These obviously died again, awaiting “at his coming”.

Only one man to ever be raised to immortality and he is sitting at the right hand of the Father on high.

“Holy City” - speaks to the heavenly Jerusalem coming to Earth upon the Lords return! Hebrews 12:22

F2F

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 27:54

“The Centurion” I wonder who this is? Possbily the Centurion of Capernaum whose servant was sick “built us a synagogue” Luke 7:1-5.

Or Cornelius?

Acts of the Apostles 10:1-2, Acts of the Apostles 10:37. “Son of God” - This confession shamed the Jews cp Deuteronomy 32:21, Luke 7:9 cp Luke 23:47

“This was a righteous man”.

Not a godman or God the Son but this is the Son of God...a righteous man!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Finally Matthew 27:54

Jesus...

Matthew 27:50 “yielded up” Grk “to send forth”
Mark 15:37 “gave up” Grk “breathed out”
Luke 23:46 “gave up” Grk “breathed out”
John 19:30 “gave up” Grk “to surrender”

“No man taketh it from me” John 10:17-18

And no man did!

The record is clear Jesus breathed out his last and died - spent three days in the tomb without existence waiting for His father to raise him from the dead.

The glorious resurrection.

:closed:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a totally false statement. Belief in the Trinity in no way denies that actual humanity and sufferings of Christ. Jesus of Nazareth was fully God and fully sinless Man while on earth, and while He suffered, and bled and died. It was the blood of God which paid for our redemption.
yes it was a strawman.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
yes it was a strawman.
You need to add another nature - destroys the work of God in Christ. You cant have God condemning himself! Re the strawman comment which is rather lame given your lack of contending earnestly for your faith. These throw away comments are like clouds without water!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to add another nature - destroys the work of God in Christ. You cant have God condemning himself! Re the strawman comment which is rather lame given your lack of contending earnestly for your faith. These throw away comments are like clouds without water!

The Hypostatic Union which I put together.

1. Jesus is a person. (1 Tim 2:5)

2. Jesus, the Person, has two natures- Divine and human (John 1:1, 14, 1 Timothy 3:16): Divine and human. This is the Hypostatic Union.( Col 2:9, Heb 1:3,2:16)

3. The Communicatio Idiomatum (Communication of the Properties) states that the attributes of His Divine nature and human nature are both ascribed to the one Person of Jesus. So Jesus can exhibit attributes of Divinity (Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence, . John 2:23, 3:13, 8:58, He was prayed to in Acts 7:59, John 14:13, He was is worshiped Matt 2:2:11, Rev 5:13-14) and at the same time exhibit attributes of His humanity( He was tempted, ate, prayed,wept, grew in wisdom and stature,was anointed,was baptized, the Father was greater, didn’t know the day or the hour of His Return, He cried My God my God why has Thou forsaken Me, He died etc.). The communicatio idiomatum does not mean that any part of the Divine nature was communicated to the human nature.

4. The Man(anthropos) Jesus is what we perceive (if we were there 2000 years ago in Israel) and through the Man we encounter the Divine nature (Jesus knowing all things, is on earth while in heaven, answers prayer, forgiving sins, etc.).

5. The Person of Jesus will always be both Divine and human. (John 1:1,14,20:28, 1 John 5:20, 1 Timothy 2:5) Those who deny this fact are the spirit of antichrist. (1 John 4:1-4,2 John 7)

6. The Divine Nature is within the Trinity.(Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

7. Since the Person of Jesus claims the attributes of Divinity(John 3:13,8:58,Matthew 9:2,12:8), then the Person of Jesus is a member of the Trinity.( John 14-16, Math 28:19)

Anything said of either of Christ's two natures applies to the one Person of Christ, so that is how it is said that Christ died on the cross. The term "hypostatic union" refers to the two natures united in the one Person, so anything said of those two natures in the one Person applies to the whole Person. So we see that the Person of Christ is both God and man. The phrase hypostatic union was adopted by the general council at Chalcedon 451 AD. That council declared that the union of two natures is real (against Arius), not a mere indwelling of God in a man (against Nestorius), with a rational soul (against Apollinaris), and that in Christ’s Divine nature remains unchanged (against Eutyches).

The Council of Chalcedon corrected the following errors regarding the Person of Christ;

Apollinarius -believed Christ did not have a human mind or soul, the Council had affirmed that Jesus was truly man, of a reasonable “rational” soul and body and that He was consubstantial (of the same substance) with us according to the Manhood; in all things like unto us."

Nestorianism,- believed that Christ was two different persons united in one body. So the Council wrote that He was "indivisibly, inseparably ... concurring in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons."

Monophysitism,- believed that Christ had but one nature and that His union with the Divine nature cancelled His human nature, the council affirmed that Christ was "to be acknowledged in two natures, inconfusedly, unchangeably ... the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved."

One Person, Two Natures

The Council of Chalcedon in 451 brought to the climax the long debates about the make-up of Jesus: He is one Person, a Divine Person, having two natures, divine and human, in such a way that these two natures remain distinct after the union in the one Person. We call this union "hypostatic union" from the Greek "hypostasis" which means person - two natures joined in one Person.

His human nature is the same as ours, for he had a human body and a human soul. He was like us in all things except that He was without sin, even though He was tempted as we are (Hebrews 4:15). However, this does not mean that He had within Him disorderly passions. The Second Council of Constantinople in 553 defined this truth against "impious Theodore of Mopsuestia".

His divine nature is the same as that of the Father. The Council of Nicea in 325 defined that He is "one in substance [homoousios] with the Father".

hope this helps !!!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Hypostatic Union which I put together.
However, this does not mean that He had within Him disorderly passions. The Second Council of Constantinople in 553 defined this truth against "impious Theodore of Mopsuestia".
It's lacking something isn't it Christo!