The Death of Jesus - Matthew 27:45-54

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since my time here it has become apparent many who hold the doctrine of the trinity struggle to understand the Masters humanity and as such, rob him of his suffering in the flesh. This consideration of Matthew 27:45-54 aims to show the Lord's death, providing insights into this incredible act of love, both for His Father and toward us who he died to save.

Before we start considering these words, we have two important verses which set the scene of this study.

1 Peter 2:24 He (Jesus) himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we may cease from sinning and live for righteousness. By his wounds you were healed.

How were our sins represented in his body of the Lord on the tree?
How was his representative sacrifice an example of how we put the flesh and its lusts to death as per Galatians 5:24.

What ever you take from these thoughts I hope the blue text is where you find encouragement for nothing is more important to the Lord Jesus Christ than we cease from sin and live for righteousness. It was true of his mortal life, as it will be when he returns John 16:8

The other aspect of the Lord's death is his willingness to do His Father Will.

John 10:17 This is why the Father loves mebecause I lay down my life, so that I may take it back again. 10:18 No one takes it away from me, but I lay it down of my own free will. I have the authority to lay it down, and I have the authority to take it back again. This commandment I received from my Father.

We see Jesus here using his own free will denying the will of the flesh and choosing as he did through his whole life to freely allow himself to be taken by cruel hands and be crucified.

So in summary of the above, we state two truths concerning his death:

- We see the measure of "our" own sins represented in the nature of Jesus Christ on a tree
- We see the voluntary death of the Son of man at Passover time.

So lets begin...

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 27:45

Amos 8:9 In that day,” says the sovereign Lord, “I will make the sun set at noon, and make the earth dark in the middle of the day"

Matthew 27:45 Now from noon until three, darkness came over all the land.

The scene is set with unnatural darkness during what would be the blaze of noon. Who would think such a prophecy would be fulfilled with such precision from Amos. Interesting the famine of hearing God's word and the ceasing of divine revelation not far away for Israel and in 70 or so years they would crucify their messiah, lose their temple and be scattered throughout the entire earth.

It's dark.

It has been suggested that the Spirit left the Lord at this time...a man (the Son of Man) hanging on a tree!

It is the 9th Hour - 3pm – the Lord has had six hours of anguished loneliness... Psalms 116:3-4.

The hour is come for the slaying of the lamb

Exodus 12:6 You must care for it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then the whole community of Israel will kill it around sundown

They didn't care for him at all but rejected him when he came to his own John 1:11

The “the sun is now going down” :doldrums:

Deuteronomy 16:6 but you must sacrifice it in the evening in the place where he chooses to locate his name, at sunset, the time of day you came out of Egypt.

The Lord is getting closer to taking captivity captive in the body of his own death. Ephesians 4:7-10

tbc...

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is now the hour of prayer Acts of the Apostles 3:1 (also Psalms 141:2).

An angel appeared to Cornelius at this hour in Acts of the Apostles 10:3 & Acts of the Apostles 10:30

As the Lord said:

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since my time here it has become apparent many who hold the doctrine of the trinity struggle to understand the Masters humanity and as such, rob him of his suffering in the flesh.
That is a totally false statement. Belief in the Trinity in no way denies that actual humanity and sufferings of Christ. Jesus of Nazareth was fully God and fully sinless Man while on earth, and while He suffered, and bled and died. It was the blood of God which paid for our redemption.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is a totally false statement. Belief in the Trinity in no way denies that actual humanity and sufferings of Christ. Jesus of Nazareth was fully God and fully sinless Man while on earth, and while He suffered, and bled and died. It was the blood of God which paid for our redemption.
It was the blood of the Son of Man which wrought your redemption...in one statement you proved my point Enoch! You will note also how few are willing to enter into his sufferings because they explain them away just as you have for how can an Almighty God die? His humanity being of the seed of David Romans 1:3; Revelation 22:16 etc etc is the focus of his sacrifice - born of a woman and born with corrupt dying nature. Crucified in weakness just as you are weak in him - its the weakness Enoch which you dare not to look at. Your eyes will be opened!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 27:46 At about three o’clock Jesus shouted with a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Jesus broke his silence and you could imagine the crowd would be hushed.

“Eli, Eli” - Psalms 22:1

The Lord was not forsaken personally... see Psalms 22:24 the spirit leaves him because “thou art holy” as per Psalms 22:3.

Jesus must be “put to death in the flesh”, before "being made alive by the Spirit" as per 1 Peter 3:18.

Consider Psalm 22

Sufferer mentions his mother Psalms 22:9-10 (No reference to his father!)
He cries for help, but there is no confession of sin – he had none!
The psalm describes crucifixion Psalms 22:16 - when as yet no such custom.

It's always a sure word of prophecy for those who can connect the dots!

F2F

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen brother!!!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe someone should start a topic, "are there any Bible verses JW's don't try to change the meaning of?".

Reactions: Blue Dragonfly's

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen brother!!!
Why dont you encourage Enoch to show an understanding of Jesus having a Dual nature and Dual consciousness...we could really see some creative writing!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do find it amusing @Jack & @Enoch111 that you both beleive God became his own sacrifice...nothing like it taught anywhere in the Word.

Matthew 27:47 When some of the bystanders heard it, they said, “This man is calling for Elijah.”

No, not this God, or this Godman - But "this man" was all that he was, though an obedient one who accepted the task his Father had given him.

The confusion probably happened because of the first syllable “El” Mark 9:11-12.

At this point, in order to complete his work he says “I thirst” John 19:28 “Accomplished” - “teleo” = “completed”. Same word as “finished” John 19:30.

Not God but the Son of Man - representing our human condition 100% without a dual nature he was up there being crucified in weakness just as we are weak in him.

“Christ our passover is sacrificed for us” 1 Corinthians 5:7.

All the sacrificial code was encapsulated in this passover sacrifice.

God was able to remove the Law and its ordinances because it taught "cursed is every man who hangs on a tree", of course his sinnlessness would demand his body not see corruption - the type of decay he was condemned with before his death! Acts of the Apostles 13:37:Amen:

F2F

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do Christians honestly believe the One True God (Yahweh on High) became His own sacrifice?

Surely not!

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Maybe someone should start a topic, "are there any Bible verses JW's don't try to change the meaning of?".
Christadelphians believe Jesus had a sin nature.
And I've heard there are forums that don't permit JW's posting their false doctrine.

Jesus did not have a sin nature.

Colossians 2:9
For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

Anyone know what the JW Bible contains?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christadelphians believe Jesus had a sin nature.
And I've heard there are forums that don't permit JW's posting their false doctrine.

Jesus did not have a sin nature.

Colossians 2:9
For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

Anyone know what the JW Bible contains?

If you are right, which you are not, can you explain how God condemned this nature in Christ, if he didn't have it?

Romans 8:3 For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, he (God) condemned sin in the flesh (Jesus)

:IDK:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jacks comment comes from someone who is losing ground - he has an empty magazine and his tool bag has nothing to help.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
If you are right, which you are not, can you explain how God condemned this nature in Christ, if he didn't have it?

Romans 8:3 For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, he (God) condemned sin in the flesh (Jesus)

:IDK:
Likeness of sinful flesh. Likeness.
The onus is on you to prove your false claim with scripture that states precisely, Jesus had a sinful nature. Which would mean he was a sinner by nature.
Colossians 2:9 For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Likeness of sinful flesh. Likeness.
The onus is on you to prove your false claim with scripture that states precisely, Jesus had a sinful nature. Which would mean he was a sinner by nature.
Colossians 2:9 For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.
Love the NIV which locks in on the Greek.

For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Hebrews 2:17

No dual nature!
No dual divine nature at all.

In every respect he was like us and the same as us!

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Hebrews 2:17

No dual nature!

Hebrews 4:15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

1John 3:5 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Are you still looking for the verse that says he was like us in every way including being born with a ''sin nature''?

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No dual nature!

Are you saying Jesus was a sinner?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jacks comment comes from someone who is losing ground - he has an empty magazine and his tool bag has nothing to help.
Sounds like you're describing Kingdom Hall's victims who constantly try to rewrite our Bible.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hebrews 4:15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

1John 3:5 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Are you still looking for the verse that says he was like us in every way including being born with a ''sin nature''?

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
Correct, Jesus required a nature the same as your to be tested otherwise whats the point? In every respect he had condemned nature - him overcoming now means Romans 8:1 is offered - you should be grateful he had that nature!