The death penalty...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Universal atonement is only one theory of the meaning of Christ's crucifixion. My own preference as regards the cross is that Jesus' life, and the manner of His death, were to set us an example of loving sacrifice, which we should emulate so far as we can, and to prove His commitment to His teachings, which we should read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.

Best wishes, 2RM.
That would be a hard road to hoe seeing God requires perfection and who is perfect in their love and sacrifice?

Romans 3:10 (KJV) As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Isaiah 64:6 (KJV) But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That would be a hard road to hoe seeing God requires perfection and who is perfect in their love and sacrifice?

Romans 3:10 (KJV) As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Isaiah 64:6 (KJV) But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Yes. I know it is written so into scripture. However, I find it a misanthropic view of us all, and I do not think it to be an accurate picture of humanity, a species which is capax universi, capable of everything. Just because one is not perfect it does not mean that one is bad, whatever it suits the preachers and clerics to say. It suits them to have the laity believe their logical fallacy, of course, since it keeps them employed.

Furthermore, who said God requires perfection? And if so, why did He create us imperfect?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read Rom. 13:1-4. The death penalty is not only scriptural, God said it is the responsibility of civil authorities to appropriately employ it in order to deter people from a life of crime, victimizing other people, and corrupting the nation. Why do you think capital punishment was commanded in the OT?
Yes. I know it is written so into scripture. However, I find it a misanthropic view of us all, and I do not think it to be an accurate picture of humanity, a species which is capax universi, capable of everything. Just because one is not perfect it does not mean that one is bad, whatever it suits the preachers and clerics to say. It suits them to have the laity believe their logical fallacy, of course, since it keeps them employed.

Furthermore, who said God requires perfection? And if so, why did He create us imperfect?

Best wishes, 2RM.
It doesn't really matter how you personally feel. The fact that we developed the technology to render ourselves extinct in just under 6,000 years is a testament to just how evil the human mind is. If God hadn't confused the languages at Babel and made the people spread out, we would've no doubt acquired the means to wipe ourselves out a lot sooner.

As to your point about who says God requires perfection, Jesus says so:

“Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." - Matt. 5:48

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.
Sorry it is a central tenet of the Gospel (all have sinned), and it is God's Word. I would refer you to Galatians chapter 1 vss 8-9

(Gal 1:8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
(Gal 1:9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

So it would be wise to make sure one has the Gospel undrerstood correctly which includes not poo-pooing God's Word.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry it is a central tenet of the Gospel (all have sinned), and it is God's Word.
..So it would be wise to make sure one has the Gospel understood correctly...

...As to your point about who says God requires perfection, Jesus says so...

Jesus was, if nothing else, the personification of a redeeming God. We should take that as God's way of revealing His nature, and copy that. You cannot redeem those you have put to death.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's become less necessary as technologies advance. But... I think the moral weight of it depends on this question.
Will it ever be needed in order to protect society?

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.”

That refers to not only taxes but the “Law of the land.” I believe what America has evolved to in dealing with intentional murder is as close to what may be deemed the best solution for the death penalty. Those found guilty are not executed immediately. They are given exhaustive opportunities to have penalties reconsidered over a period of years. This involuntarily also affords the guilty to offer an sincere apology to the family and discover a path to God.

I think this time period offered by the Government and God could surprise those of us, if we were to be told of the earthly testimony of some of neighbors when we are in heaven, that we could very well worship beside a murderer that was forgiven of his sins, well before his/her execution.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My small 2 cents worth,my personal opinion.

Scripture has been cited for God's approval of the death penalty.
My problem with it is there really is no justice for the victims!

Take serial killers,with no HUMAN COMPACITY to feel empathy with their victimes. Pedafiles care only about their depraved desires to be fulfilled rather than the harm or mental destruction of a child innocence

Do PEOPLE NOT THINK that these victimes cried in pain and begged for mercy. Was the criminal not aware he was hurting them,.....get real.

I think it should be just as harsh for the perp as his victims suffered. We have allowed government to make it too easy.
Automatic appeal after conviction,did the victims get an appeal or reprieve....NO!
Then they may have 30 or more years on D Row or die of natural causes. Bahumbug.

Oh but the BIG kicker is it's unusual and CRUEL,this statement makes me gag.....
Killers torture their victims some over hrs,days,and months before they grant them freedom by death!

We should have public firing squads, public hangings and public electrocution.
Gas chamber and the injection are way to easy.

Look what GOD HAS COOKED up for the unjust, a lake of fire where will be torment day/ night forever. Where screams, wailing and chewing your OWN flesh will not stop the torment.

I say "GO GOD" ,if it was done on earth as you've planned for after the judgment,we might have more extended peace here.

Reactions: JohnPaul

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Indeed so. But what is execution but state sanctioned murder? Seems to me that Jesus called on us all, like God, to forgive trespasses against us. Or anyone else.

Best wishes, 2RM.

No it's not, God said send such people to me .murder can't be forgiven in the flesh .

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
G'day ladies and gents

My opinion on this topic is a simple one.
Our justice system is too corrupt to be ordering people's deaths. It's corrupted by money and anyone without it has no defense.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
G'day ladies and gents

My opinion on this topic is a simple one.
Our justice system is too corrupt to be ordering people's deaths. It's corrupted by money and anyone without it has no defense.

Are you referring to Australia's justice system? Your comment doesn't apply to the US. Can you spell "public defender"?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you referring to Australia's justice system? Your comment doesn't apply to the US. Can you spell "public defender"?

I was referring to Australia's justice system but I find it funny that you would think that America's justice system is not corrupt...

Money talks in a court room, nothing else

Reactions: Lambano

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My sister used to date a barrister.
This is how it works.
You pay your defence attorney.
Hey makes an offer to the police prosecution who they know.
They don't get paid too well and will usually take the money to throw the case.

The judge is rarely even in on the scam but sometimes they are.

Man cannot be trusted to pass down the judgement of death with such a corrupt justice system

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I murdered someone and I got executed...oh well, I got what I gave. It would only be fair.
Hydromorphone and midazolam would be a painless way to go.
Most humane, if you ask me.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If I murdered someone and I got executed...oh well, I got what I gave. It would only be fair.
Hydromorphone and midazolam would be a painless way to go.
Most humane, if you ask me.

The Christian God is a redemptive God. We should imitate that. You can't redeem those you kill.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc94