The death penalty...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, tru dat, slow suicide - one can even eat badly, never exercise and die of a massive stroke or heart attack!

Oh yes! I remember! Trying to remember the one where the man who is behind bars turns out to be the grandfather of the lawyer (not sure if it was Jake in that one or not) I think it was the Chamber...awesome and twisty!
That was The Chamber. Another good one. At least the grandfather turns to Christ just before his execution. In The Confession, the kid bitterly rejects God, who didn't help him when he needed it. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was The Chamber. Another good one. At least the grandfather turns to Christ just before his execution. In The Confession, the kid bitterly rejects God, who didn't help him when he needed it. Sad.
Yeah, that was sad for the kid, and surprising for the grandfather. Heard said that those who do make it into the Kingdom, will be very surprised to see certain folks there and others they thought would surely be there...not there.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to mention all the Christian folks who called for his execution, if I remember the book right.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to mention all the Christian folks who called for his execution, if I remember the book right.
Don't remember but, wouldn't doubt it. When I see or read Christians cheering on a person about to be executed, it ALWAYS makes me remember the crowd in the bible yelling for "Barabbas" to be set free and for Jesus to be executed.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The lucky ones get lung cancer and die fairly quickly. The unlucky ones get emphysema and have to drag oxygen bottles around with them while they slowly suffocate over a period of years. My father-in-law was one of the lucky ones. My mom was one of the unlucky ones.
Sorry to hear that. My mom also had a long illness that eventually caused her death. Terrible to watch.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't remember but, wouldn't doubt it. When I see or read Christians cheering on a person about to be executed, it ALWAYS makes me remember the crowd in the bible yelling for "Barabbas" to be set free and for Jesus to be executed.
Ouch.

Though I'm realistic enough to know sometimes you have to do what you have to do, I would take no pleasure in it. These are still human beings, like me.

(Sheesh, why can't I say what I want to say without 10 edits?)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ouch.

Though I'm realistic enough to know sometimes you have to do what you have to do, I would take no pleasure in it. These are still human beings, like me.

(Sheesh, why can't I say what I want to say without 10 edits?)
I bet you are a fast talker, lol.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bet you are a fast talker, lol.
The Sweet Lady is the talker in the family. One night, one of our company's vendors invited my team and our wives to a business dinner. As we're driving home, she tells me, "Sheesh, that Jack is talker. I couldn't get a word in edgewise!". Honey, Jack is a salesman. He makes his living talking. Don't try to compete against a professional; it'd be like me trying to play golf against Tiger Woods.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Nancy

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lotta people will be shocked to see me there. Some days I think I'll be shocked to see me there too.

I won't be shocked. Indeed I look forward to meeting you there, if I make it past St Peter.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't this assuming those who receive the free pardon of their sins through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ will be exposed to God's death penalty? My take...

I would agree with you, if I thought that God excuses us without penalty for our sins. But He doesn't. Instead He insists that we repent and atone, and these are difficult, as anyone who has done them will attest.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sweet Lady is the talker in the family. One night, one of our company's vendors invited my team and our wives to a business dinner. As we're driving home, she tells me, "Sheesh, that Jack is talker. I couldn't get a word in edgewise!". Honey, Jack is a salesman. He makes his living talking. Don't try to compete against a professional; it'd be like me trying to play golf against Tiger Woods.
:D

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree with you, if I thought that God excuses us without penalty for our sins. But He doesn't. Instead He insists that we repent and atone, and these are difficult, as anyone who has done them will attest.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Jesus atoned for us, and you say additionally we are to add to His atoning work?

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yup. So far as I am concerned, my sins are my sins, not Jesus', and I expect to have to atone for them. Jesus' crucifixion makes it possible for us to atone, but only I can undergo this transforming psychological process on my behalf. It's something we have to do for ourselves.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yup. So far as I am concerned, my sins are my sins, not Jesus', and I expect to have to atone for them. Jesus' cruciifixion makes it possible for us to atone, but only I can undergo this transforming psychological process. It's something we have to do for ourselves.

You can't atone for your sin.
All you can do is allow Christ to pay for them, or you die and are judged for them......but just one.
The unpardonable sin, which is to have died in your sins, never trusting Christ to be your forgiveness.

You will die, and you will meet God as your Judge or as your Father.
You decide which.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm. Sometimes I read a post that is so obviously so far from the truth of the matter that it isn't worth a reply. Fact is, most people, most of the time, live blameless, decent lives. If they didn't, societies couldn't cohere. The majority of them worship differently to us, but still don't deserve the eternity of agony we call hell. However, even if they did so deserve, I think I would prefer to share it with them than subject myself to the blandishments of the more reactionary tendency among Christians, always assuming they get to go to heaven, of course.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus atoned for us, and you say additionally we are to add to His atoning work?

Universal atonement is only one theory of the meaning of Christ's crucifixion. My own preference as regards the cross is that Jesus' life, and the manner of His death, were to set us an example of loving sacrifice, which we should emulate so far as we can, and to prove His commitment to His teachings, which we should read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited: