• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone falls on the wrong side of any of these arguments and they are also an essential doctrine that is being argued, it should be clear that the person on the wrong side of the argument cannot be classified as a Protestant.

However, most of what you have mentioned above falls under the category of non-essentials.

Really! The items I listed are non-essentials?

What a strange version of Christianity you have.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that all the differences within Protestantism are merely over non-essentials is a Protestant myth.
The multitude of arguments on this and other Christian forums are not about non-essentials.

OSAS vs non OSAS
Faith alone vs faith +baptism
Trinitarian vs non-Trinitatian
Sacraments vs no Sacraments
What happens after death (soul sleep etc,)
and so on.

If anyone falls on the wrong side of any of these arguments and they are also an essential doctrine that is being argued, it should be clear that the person on the wrong side of the argument cannot be classified as a Protestant.

However, most of what you have mentioned above falls under the category of non-essentials.

Really! The items I listed are non-essentials?

What a strange version of Christianity you have.

The only essential on the list would be the Deity of Christ.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am tired of Catholic threads....people need to educate themselves about Catholicism before sharing anything they have been taught or learned by others.
There are 24 different Catholic Churches but in Catholicism it is called Rites....
there are 24 churches in the Catholic Church. The largest, by far, is the Roman (or Latin) Rite.

Latin Rite:

Latin (or Roman) Catholic Church

Alexandrian Rite:

Coptic Catholic Church

Eritrean Catholic Church

Ethiopian Catholic Church

West Syrian (or Antiochene) Rite:

Maronite Catholic Church

Syriac Catholic Church

Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

Armenian Rite:

Armenian Catholic Church

East Syrian (or Chaldean) Rite:

Chaldean Catholic Church

Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

Constantinopolitan (or Byzantine) Rite:

Albanian Catholic Church

Belarusian Catholic Church

Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church

Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro (or Križevci Catholic Church)

Greek Byzantine Catholic Church

Hungarian Greek Catholic Church

Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

Macedonian Catholic Church

Melkite Greek Catholic Church

Romanian Catholic Church

Russian Catholic Church

Ruthenian Catholic Church (also known as the Byzantine Catholic Church in America)

Slovak Catholic Church

Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Other 23 Catholic Churches and Why They Exist - Ascension Press Media

So lumping them all as being the same is incorrect understanding of Catholicism worldwide...

Also there have been numerous splits since the founding of the RCC...
When addressing a topic it would be fundamental for the sake of truth to cite which church you are referring to.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never said that the decrees of the Council of Trent have been abolished.

That is a fact.

:)
Pasted reply by Mungo:
"An anathema in the Catholic Church is not a curse nor does the catholic Church consign anyone to damnation.

It [an anathema] was a formal excommunication by the Pope. I say was because it [an anathema] has been abolished. It [an anathema] was very seldom used."

The decrees themselves have not changed.

What's difficult to understand?

"...the decrees of the Council of Trent are very clear and are accompanied by the word anathema for even further clarity. St. Paul uses this word in his Epistle to the Galatians. He says: "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.". "

The "solas" per the decree of the Council of Trent. See, Justification, at the following link.
List of excommunicable offences from the Council of Trent
(End of excerpt . More at link)

The council of Trent was conveined largely in response to the Protestant Reformation in order to consign the beliefs and practices of the "true" church.

What was the Council of Trent? Summary, Timeline & Significance

Results of the Council of Trent
The Council declared condemnations of what they determined to be heresies enacted by advocates of Protestantism and furthermore announced major declarations and explanations of the Church's creed and teachings, including scripture, the Biblical canon, sacred tradition, original sin, justification, and salvation. The Council joined for twenty-five sessions between the December of 1545 and December of 1563.

The outcomes of the Council were also important in regards to the Church's liturgy and practices. During its discussions, the Council made the Vulgate the official example of the Biblical canon and authorized the creation of a standard version, although this was not completed until late in the 16th century. In 1565, a year after the Council concluded, Pius IV announced the Tridentine Creed and his heir Pius V then issued the Roman Catechism and updates of the Breviary and Missal. These then led to the codification of the Tridentine Mass, which continued as the Church's main method of the Mass for the following four hundred years. (End of excerpt)

And this link? St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Wasn't to affirm , using that site as source, the legacy of the Latin Rite church.
Context.
If you had followed our discussion you would understand that.:)

You were wrong.

Mungo:"an anathema] was a formal excommunication by the Pope. I say was because it [an anathema] has been abolished. " (End of paste of Mungo's post)

The Anathemas of the Council of Trent were decrees!

So, again, now that we're caught up repeating past posts in a condensed version here, I'll ask you again.

Prove your statement. Show proof the, Anathemas have been abolished.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am tired of Catholic threads....people need to educate themselves about Catholicism before sharing anything they have been taught or learned by others.
There are 24 different Catholic Churches but in Catholicism it is called Rites....
there are 24 churches in the Catholic Church. The largest, by far, is the Roman (or Latin) Rite.

Latin Rite:

Latin (or Roman) Catholic Church

Alexandrian Rite:

Coptic Catholic Church

Eritrean Catholic Church

Ethiopian Catholic Church

West Syrian (or Antiochene) Rite:

Maronite Catholic Church

Syriac Catholic Church

Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

Armenian Rite:

Armenian Catholic Church

East Syrian (or Chaldean) Rite:

Chaldean Catholic Church

Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

Constantinopolitan (or Byzantine) Rite:

Albanian Catholic Church

Belarusian Catholic Church

Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church

Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro (or Križevci Catholic Church)

Greek Byzantine Catholic Church

Hungarian Greek Catholic Church

Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

Macedonian Catholic Church

Melkite Greek Catholic Church

Romanian Catholic Church

Russian Catholic Church

Ruthenian Catholic Church (also known as the Byzantine Catholic Church in America)

Slovak Catholic Church

Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Other 23 Catholic Churches and Why They Exist - Ascension Press Media

So lumping them all as being the same is incorrect understanding of Catholicism worldwide...

Also there have been numerous splits since the founding of the RCC...
When addressing a topic it would be fundamental for the sake of truth to cite which church you are referring to.
Amen! During my whole history as a practicing Catholic I only regularly attended one. I personally never disagreed with what I was taught when they were teaching it to me. On the contrary I was blessed and both the priests and nuns involved never gave me reason to disagree with what they were teaching. My memories of that place are essentially all good ones. I guess I started to love God when I was in that place.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! During my whole history as a practicing Catholic I only regularly attended one. I personally never disagreed with what I was taught when they were teaching it to me. On the contrary I was blessed and both the priests and nuns involved never gave me reason to disagree with what they were teaching. My memories of that place are essentially all good ones. I guess I started to love God when I was in that place.
A wonderful testimony. I hope this size font makes reading me more comfortable for you. :)

I recall the scripture that tells us God cannot be contained in structures built of human hands.

Maybe, like what you described, how we feel when attending any denominations church service is a matter of not so much the doctrine or rites performed there, but rather is a reflection of that resonance, that vibration, of energies there and the confluence as relates to it through our relationship with the indwelling holy spirit within us, those individual temples dedicated to the most high.

If that makes sense?

In other words, it's a matter of wavelengths in harmony or disharmony, relative to our individual and unique connection with God and his word.

That may not help in the , makes sense department.

:confused: It's the effort that counts. right?
Humor me. Say, right. (No pun intended)

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A wonderful testimony. I hope this size font makes reading me more comfortable for you. :)
The size is fine. More important to me than the size is the use of spaces between phrases or paragraphs. Single spaced essays 2000 plus words long really strain the eyes and the brain. I cannot read all of the posts anyway and such are among the one skipped. Thanks for the consideration.
I recall the scripture that tells us God cannot be contained in structures built of human hands.
Yes, God was speaking to either David or Solomon, I believe.
Maybe, like what you described, how we feel when attending any denominations church service is a matter of not so much the doctrine or rites performed there, but rather is a reflection of that resonance, that vibration, of energies there and the confluence as relates to it through our relationship with the indwelling holy spirit within us, those individual temples dedicated to the most high.
When I left that first Catholic Church [CC] moving to San Jose CA 50 miles to the north I tried to attend a Catholic Church there. I very soon realized that it was not the same. The other time I attempted to connect with the CC was during my 12 months on active duty in Viet Nam. That did not work either.

My next time was in 1972 when my wife to be and I were looking for a minister of God to marry us. We visited a whole bunch of churches in the San Jose, CA area hoping to find one where they would marry us. Unless we were members or would agree to become members, the answer was always no.

As is happened my mother had a good friend who was a Catholic priest. He married us at the San Jose State College/University Chapel since I had graduated from there.

We were not serving God at the time, two back slid Catholics, but God helped us get married.

I seldom thought much about God during those years from 1961 [high school graduation year] and 1976 [year we both were baptized in the Holy Ghost], but God had his hand on me all the same. The future was coming and God knew it.

If that makes sense?
Yes, it does!
In other words, it's a matter of wavelengths in harmony or disharmony, relative to our individual and unique connection with God and his word.

That may not help in the , makes sense department.

:confused: It's the effort that counts. right?
Humor me. Say, right. (No pun intended)
The effort we make may be more important than the doctrines we hold and/or teach to others.

When we are actively seeking God there is definitely something there which sometimes is felt. The attitude [Spirit?] of people in a place makes a difference. The two priests I knew in that Catholic Church really cared about people. They cared about me in the right way and tried to help me encounter God. They did not understand however that I would encounter Him in an even greater way some years after I left... What a mighty God we serve! I certainly did not know either, but God was directing.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The size is fine. More important to me than the size is the use of spaces between phrases or paragraphs. Single spaced essays 2000 plus words long really strain the eyes and the brain. I cannot read all of the posts anyway and such are among the one skipped. Thanks for the consideration.

Yes, God was speaking to either David or Solomon, I believe.

When I left that first Catholic Church [CC] moving to San Jose CA 50 miles to the north I tried to attend a Catholic Church there. I very soon realized that it was not the same. The other time I attempted to connect with the CC was during my 12 months on active duty in Viet Nam. That did not work either.

My next time was in 1972 when my wife to be and I were looking for a minister of God to marry us. We visited a whole bunch of churches in the San Jose, CA area hoping to find one where they would marry us. Unless we were members or would agree to become members, the answer was always no.

As is happened my mother had a good friend who was a Catholic priest. He married us at the San Jose State College/University Chapel since I had graduated from there.

We were not serving God at the time, two back slid Catholics, but God helped us get married.

I seldom thought much about God during those years from 1961 [high school graduation year] and 1976 [year we both were baptized in the Holy Ghost], but God had his hand on me all the same. The future was coming and God knew it.

Yes, it does!

The effort we make may be more important than the doctrines we hold and/or teach to others.

When we are actively seeking God there is definitely something there which sometimes is felt. The attitude [Spirit?] of people in a place makes a difference. The two priests I knew in that Catholic Church really cared about people. They cared about me in the right way and tried to help me encounter God. They did not understand however that I would encounter Him in an even greater way some years after I left... What a mighty God we serve! I certainly did not know either, but God was directing.
He's always guiding us I think.
I think our practice side of it is in learning to quiet our tendency to do what we want to do.

I've never been disappointed when I let go and follow God's leading. Can't say the same each and every time when I did it my way.Edit: Take this post. I hit reply after writing it and it didn't post.
I hit reply again and it did.
Then I realized I didn't increase the font first.
Maybe that's why it didn't post the first time. I was suppose to see the font error but didn't. I focused on posting not upping the font size first.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's always guiding us I think.
I think our practice side of it is in learning to quiet our tendency to do what we want to do.

I've never been disappointed when I let go and follow God's leading. Can't say the same each and every time when I did it my way.Edit: Take this post. I hit reply after writing it and it didn't post.
I hit reply again and it did.
Then I realized I didn't increase the font first.
Maybe that's why it didn't post the first time. I was suppose to see the font error but didn't. I focused on posting not upping the font size first.
Years ago on forums I would get a little upset when I spent time writing a post and something would happen to make it disappear forever before I saved it or posted it. God talked to me about that.

Where the answer come from anyway? Was it from God or not? If after such a disappearance I was still getting that nudge from God to write something, I would begin writing again, but of course some things would have changed. Changes by God?

It still happens to me and when I am not quite where I should be. When it does I may feel a bit of that old upset spirit and hopefully then turn it over to God. Thy will, not mine!

Give God the glory!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago on forums I would get a little upset when I spent time writing a post and something would happen to make it disappear forever before I saved it or posted it. God talked to me about that.

Where the answer come from anyway? Was it from God or not? If after such a disappearance I was still getting that nudge from God to write something, I would begin writing again, but of course some things would have changed. Changes by God?

It still happens to me and when I am not quite where I should be. When it does I may feel a bit of that old upset spirit and hopefully then turn it over to God. Thy will, not mine!

Give God the glory!
Amen.
Same thing has happened to me.
Just this very evening in fact.
I'd written a post in a different thread. Then a big portion of it disappears. I didn't think I hit any key to make that happen.
Then, after trying to get it back I had this thought. That the first draft was too wordy.

Me? Or God?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.
Same thing has happened to me.
Just this very evening in fact.
I'd written a post in a different thread. Then a big portion of it disappears. I didn't think I hit any key to make that happen.
Then, after trying to get it back I had this thought. That the first draft was too wordy.

Me? Or God?
Amen!