• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not about authority. You are confusing authority with authoritative.
You're confused in thinking there is a difference.

Authoritative- Authoritative definition is - having, marked by, or proceeding from authority. How to use authoritative in a sentence.
Definition of AUTHORITATIVE

Already covered - see post #109
Yes, I saw that.
It's unfortunate you feel led to tell yourself God's word doesn't mean what it says , nor says what God means.
However, this doesn't mean you're right. It just means you have no respect for the bible nor what God said about it, and his authority.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter too, I guess?

Peter (said) to them, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit.

For the promise is made to you and to your children and to all those far off, whomever the Lord our God will call."

As well has the whole Church, everywhere, for what 2000 years or so?

Any community that ceases to Baptise, will cease to bear fruit for the Kingdom.

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

P.s. this thread is aptly named.
"this thread is aptly named."
It is. Isn't it wonderful how God works it out so that we see that?:)

Contrary to what was intended in its beginning.

Reactions: Philip James

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Of course a person can fashion their lives so that they never hear about what is written in the word.

But for those of us who go to church and read our Bibles, the word of God acts as a sharpened, two-edged sword and it does indeed enforce obedience.

Reading the Bible or hearing it read is edifying but it doesn't give you authority.
It is that false notion that the "reformers" introduced that has lead to 40,000+ denominations, sects and one pastor churches all proclaiming "their" truth in contradiction to each other.

Reactions: Philip James

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue.

If I said grass is green you might infer that everything else is red. But I didn't imply that.
This is absurd. When you imply the Bible has no authority, then claim there is a difference between authoritative and authority, when they are actually synonymous and thus you are wrong, don't try to augment that fact with missives like implying and inferring about the color of grass.

Btw, grass is the object discussed. When saying grass is green that is not an implication to be inferred. That is an explicit to be understood.
If one is referring to green grass. The object being, green grass.

Because not all grass is green. However, if one is talking about green grass then green grass it is.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is absurd. When you imply the Bible has no authority, then claim there is a difference between authoritative and authority, when they are actually synonymous and thus you are wrong, don't try to augment that fact with missives like implying and inferring about the color of grass.

Btw, grass is the object discussed. When saying grass is green that is not an implication to be inferred. That is an explicit to be understood.
If one is referring to green grass. The object being, green grass.

Because not all grass is green. However, if one is talking about green grass then green grass it is.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I didn't suggest that you might infer that the grass is not green. I suggested that you might infer that everything else [i.e everything that is not grass] is red. It would be an incorrect inference just as your inference that I was " wrongly writing it" was incorrect.

If you cannot understand that then it is not surprising that you cannot tell the different between authority and authoritative. To suggest they are synonyms is absurd. Try reading post #154 carefully.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I didn't suggest that you might infer that the grass is not green. I suggested that you might infer that everything else [i.e everything that is not grass] is red. It would be an incorrect inference just as your inference that I was " wrongly writing it" was incorrect.

If you cannot understand that then it is not surprising that you cannot tell the different between authority and authoritative. To suggest they are synonyms is absurd. Try reading post #154 carefully.
Love it when someone implies that member to whom they are speaking may not bear the intellect to comprehend the topic under discussion.
Such fun.