The Disappearing Database

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T

Tulipbee

I have no authority here to make any decisions. I am simply a sister in Christ among many members in this body.
I would ask however, what kind of advertisers would be sought. Because I seen some Fellowship websites which have some VERY worldly advertisers if you get my drift.

Also I find it so interesting when I order something from Chewy for my cats, that everywhere I turn I see advertisements for Chewy.
I would simply caution what doors are opened and allowed to share their "wares"
And how much commerce is transacted through a place such as this.

I remember when this site had no ads. It was much more enjoyable and less distracting. But I understand financing is helpful in keeping up websites such as these.
It's when the advertising overwhelms the message of the place it is advertising in, it becomes uncomfortable.

It's like dancing even when the music stops. Or the shoes don't fit comfortably. Sometimes the feet need to rest.
That's just my 2 cent contribution
:D
Hugs
Ziggy, your thoughtful reflections on the potential expansion of this forum are valued. Indeed, the question of advertisers requires careful consideration to maintain the essence and purpose of our community.

"As we contemplate the prospect of advertisers joining our community, your cautionary words resonate. Selecting advertisers aligned with our values is paramount. We wouldn't want worldly promotions that clash with our fellowship. Your example of Chewy emphasizes the impact of ads on our online experiences.

Remembering the ad-free days, you highlight the purity of a space dedicated to discussions and connections. Balancing financial support with user experience is crucial. Let's ensure that the dance of commerce, if introduced, harmonizes with the music of meaningful conversations.

Your 2 cents contribute significantly to the conversation, Ziggy. As we explore this path, let's prioritize maintaining the soul of our forum while embracing the practicalities of financial support. Together, we can navigate these considerations and shape a future that enhances our community. Cheers to preserving the essence amidst growth! #AdventuresInForumExpansion"

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, Lord willin that people depending on computers learn how to BACK UP their data!
View attachment 40224

Can this event be construed as type of shadow of things to come?

Maybe. When the big event happens and the power grid goes down, so will the internet. The power may be off for 2 weeks, 2 months, a year? but I can easily see that when that happens and the power and the internet do come back...it wont be like before!

There wont be any Chat Forums of the Lord. If you google "God" you might experience a glitch or something with the effect of, there is nothing about God on the internet. No more Giant list of teaching videos from Youtube Pastors and Prophets.

It's been nice knowing you guys? What can we do?
At least get you 2TB flash drive and download a lot of wonderful Teaching videos so that, internet or not, as long as you have power you plug into an offline computer and rewatch them to your hearts content!

A 2TB flash drive was fairly cheap I found out so I ordered one and I already have like 600-800 videos (? Too many to count!) already on the flash drive and so far still have 1.82TB of usable space left! (But YouTube did something and I suppose I have to find a different downloader now, it wont work!) So I have some but can you see the utility of doing so now when we still have time?

We may or may not need it because of the rapture? But it is at least a good thing to get into the hands of Friends or Family in case a rapture does happen and they can not seek info about the Lord online anymore!

Good idea I think! A 2TB Flash Drive holds an enormous amount of videos and data. IIRC it cost me $20-$25 bucks? Something like that. Cheap.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can this event be construed as type of shadow of things to come?

Maybe. When the big event happens and the power grid goes down, so will the internet. The power may be off for 2 weeks, 2 months, a year? but I can easily see that when that happens and the power and the internet do come back...it wont be like before!

There wont be any Chat Forums of the Lord. If you google "God" you might experience a glitch or something with the effect of, there is nothing about God on the internet. No more Giant list of teaching videos from Youtube Pastors and Prophets.

It's been nice knowing you guys? What can we do?
At least get you 2TB flash drive and download a lot of wonderful Teaching videos so that, internet or not, as long as you have power you plug into an offline computer and rewatch them to your hearts content!

A 2TB flash drive was fairly cheap I found out so I ordered one and I already have like 600-800 videos (? Too many to count!) already on the flash drive and so far still have 1.82TB of usable space left! (But YouTube did something and I suppose I have to find a different downloader now, it wont work!) So I have some but can you see the utility of doing so now when we still have time?

We may or may not need it because of the rapture? But it is at least a good thing to get into the hands of Friends or Family in case a rapture does happen and they can not seek info about the Lord online anymore!

Good idea I think! A 2TB Flash Drive holds an enormous amount of videos and data. IIRC it cost me $20-$25 bucks? Something like that. Cheap.
So I believe this is where the "forsaking not of the assembling of yourselves together as ye see the day approaching" comes in handy.
Moreso than at any other time in history.
We rely so heavily on technology. Even my landline is connected to a sattelite or something. When I lose power in a storm, my landline doesn't work. I don't have the kind that plugs into a wall jack, I have the one that plugs into a little box from Verizon.

I do believe however, the Post Office may not go down, We may have to revert back to the pony express at some point though lol
not funny.
Your neighbors, people in your community, being able to keep in contact without the use of technology may become very useful in the future.
Giving out personal information such as physical addresses is dangerous today. There was a time when pen pals was a big thing. But today you really don't know who your writing to or who is writing to you.
The world isn't such a safe place as we used to know. A lot has changed. And is changing faster every day.
I posted a video about Deepfakes in the thread about using pronouns for peoples names.
I'm going to post it here as well because not everybody follows everything. I know I learn new things everyday.

We may have to live for a time before there was electricity and telephones. Are you prepared? How will you navigate when and if that happens? Now is a good time to have a plan. Kind of like an escape route incase of a fire. Everyone should know where to meet to make sure everyone is safe.
Not being a fearful doomsday gloomer here, but we need to stay aware of our surroundings, always.
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some years ago my moth in laws grandson had lost his cell phone.
One day she got a call from her grandson telling her he had gotten into some trouble and needed bail money.
Could she go to the bank and transfer funds so he could get out on bail?
She panicked, She didn't want to say anything to his father/her son because he might get angry.
So she told him she needed a ride to the bank to withdraw some money.
On the way to the bank he pressed her why she needed it. She finally broke down and told him she got a call from his son saying he was in jail and needed bail money.
He told her there was no way, because the grandson who was in the military at the time was on base in another state.
He phoned him and let him speak to his grandmother so she knew that original call was a fake.

Someone had gotten his cellphone with the numbers. Was able to deepfake his voice and place the call to his grandmother.

There are so many scams out there. Be careful and be wise. Verify.
Hugs

Reactions: Debp

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the big event happens and the power grid goes down, so will the internet. The power may be off for 2 weeks, 2 months, a year? but I can easily see that when that happens and the power and the internet do come back...it wont be like before!

Nah, they'll want to leave the internet all in place... so they can use it to feed the masses misinformation.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, they'll want to leave the internet all in place... so they can use it to feed the masses misinformation.
I think it was Darpa that had the internet before it was unleashed to the world through Facebook.
As a social media intervention to collect data unwittingly and unknowingly.
Darpa closed it's doors the very same day Facebook was established. No coincidence there.

I can't keep up with all the new technology. I go to look for old news and I find new coming out of the woodwork.
prophetic even lol

DARPA stands for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, whose mission is “to make pivotal investments in breakthrough technologies for national security.”

At the same time that Facebook was launched in 2004, DARPA scrapped its LifeLog project, which, according to Wired, “aimed to gather in a single place just about everything an individual says, sees or does: the phone calls made, the TV shows watched, the magazines read, the plane tickets bought, the e-mail sent and received.”

The dream of DARPA’s LifeLog has now been realized 14 years later with Facebook and the launch of Portal, which was built in a research lab modeled after DARPA.

Facebook states that it has put security measures in place to protect user privacy, but there are several examples of how this data can be breached.

Facebook Portal security features:

1. You can completely disable the camera and microphone with a single tap, or block the camera lens with the camera cover provided.
  2. Facebook doesn’t listen to, view or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Your Portal conversations stay between you and the people you’re calling.
  3. For added security, Smart Camera uses AI technology that runs locally on Portal, not on Facebook servers. Portal’s camera does not use facial recognition and does not identify who you are.
  4. Like other voice-enabled devices, Portal only sends voice commands to Facebook servers after you say, “Hey Portal.” You can delete Portal’s voice history in your Facebook Activity Log.
The option to “completely disable the camera and microphone” is definitely something that anyone concerned about their privacy should be happy about, but this option has been offered by other companies before, and they were still hacked by the CIA and MI5, according to WikiLeaks.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a suggestion:

The last couple nights my computer has been getting hit with attacks. I have Norton, and it's been going off the wall.

If you all are friends or have been friends for awhile, you may consider PM'ing your e-mails to each other to stay connected incase more forums get attacked.
I have a feeling things may get wonky now that Iran is "testing" across the pond.
We may have to take cyber supposable precautions, they may even shut the internet down, or have blackout/brownouts.
I think we're in for some nasty weather and I don't mean rain.

It sounds like a few of you know each other well.
You could do a chain, where one sends their email to one, and then one of them send theirs to another, and so forth.
That way if you find another working forum you can meet up, or at least keep in touch.
That way you all don't get lost in cyberspace.

Just a suggestion.
Hugs
Blessings Ziggy. I am using 7 as well. Here are some options that I use with no problems. CCleaner, Wise disc Cleaner, Malwarebytes, Avast free antivirus or Avg Free antivirus. I use an older version of Fire fox with add blocker inside with down load helper. I used to be really good at older computers. On Malware bytes they try to make it a premium but it can be set to free. All of these are free. I use them daily to keep windows stream lined and safe. Wise disc cleaner also has a faster defrager built in. I have never found Norton to be good as that is what came on the older computers. I know that Norton can not be used with other antivirus as it will slow the computer down. But any of these programs after downloaded can be stored in documents folder ready to go if needed. I would suggest you download CCleaner and Wise disc Cleaner as they get rid of the junk that slows you down. Hope this helps you.

• Love

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not the end of the world, but a certain Christian forum has lost its database and is no longer working.

Got this from BingChat.

The database system of an online forum is a crucial component that stores all the data related to the forum, including user accounts, posts, threads, and other information. If the database system of an online forum disappears, it can cause the forum to cease because all the data is lost, and the forum cannot function without it. There are several reasons why a database system can disappear, such as hardware failure, software bugs, cyber attacks, or human errors. In some cases, the database system may be intentionally deleted or corrupted by a malicious actor. Therefore, it is essential to have a backup system in place to prevent data loss and ensure the continuity of the forum.

Praying for a miracle to restore the database.
Thanks. I was wondering what happened to it. I know which forum you mean. This is about 3 days now as of the time of my post here. Let's hope that they had a back-up and that it was merely a hardware failure as opposed to cyber attack. In the latter case, my advice is don't use the most well known operating system due to its flaws, keep a strong password, don't fall victim to phishing, and configure good firewalls and updates to your hardware. In the case of "password cracking", the default should never be used, nor use something that can be figured out. I was told it takes less than a day for a computer system to crack an 8-digit difficult password. So if one adds even 2 measly more characters to it, at that rate it would take about 27 years and someone would see nefarious activity until then (I think one would have new equipment by then also lol). Although I make my own passwords, mine are usually very long. But in the case of this forum, I had a password generator make it. I don't even know my password. lol

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Facebook states that it has put security measures in place to protect user privacy, but there are several examples of how this data can be breached.

I don't use Spacebook, Tweeter or any social media websites for privacy reasons

The option to “completely disable the camera and microphone”

The option to completely disable the camera and microphone is an illusion on pretty much all newer devices.

I've seen some of these tech guys test various devices after turning off the camera and microphone... and surprise, they were not actually disabled.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see a lot of new names here.
I just want to say Hello and welcome to the forum.
I hope when your other forum is up and running, that you all will visit when you can.

Hugs!

• Love

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Darpa closed it's doors the very same day Facebook was established.

Uh huh, that was misinformation.

They may have changed the name or have their work otherwise concealed... but what DARPA was doing is ongoing and has not been shut down.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh, that was misinformation.

They may have changed the name or have their work otherwise concealed... but what DARPA was doing is ongoing and has not been shut down.
I meant the Program. The transition from government to public.
Facebook was just a new face on an old program.
bbl I need a nap
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I'm talking about... they want people to believe the gubment is no longer involved... it's a deception!
I know. That's not what I meant but it's ok.
We agree.
This gubment has to go. The people's government needs to be reinstalled and take out the trash.
Hugs

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This gubment has to go. The people's government needs to be reinstalled and take out the trash.

You mean all the people that reject the Lord?

That's be like the new boss is the same as the old boss clueless-doh.gif

Our form of government will only last as long as we have good moral people, and we're fast running out of people with good morals.

Marathoner

Jan 18, 2024
New Mexico
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've asked George for more information about the database loss. It would be good to know either way whether a fix is possible or if the situation is irreversible.
I pray for his success, brother. I wouldn't be troubled by a "fresh start" if that is the ultimate outcome. It would be lovely, yes? Surely.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I pray for his success, brother. I wouldn't be troubled by a "fresh start" if that is the ultimate outcome. It would be lovely, yes? Surely.
I've just read a recent devotional from George on his site, but alas no forum to log into as yet.

Meanwhile good to see you responding here, @Marathoner .

Reactions: Debp and Marathoner

Wayne222

Oct 21, 2023
Belton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worthy Christian forum. I am a member there for eight years..

I see a lot of new names here.
I just want to say Hello and welcome to the forum.
I hope when your other forum is up and running, that you all will visit when you can.

Hugs!
Thanks I actually join this forum about two months ago. It’s pretty good too. I love our other forum and praying it’s restored soon. But we’re all believers in Jesus Christ. May his name be glorified. Blessings Ziggy !

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The prospect of attracting advertisers and members here could indeed elevate the overall experience.

I remember when this site had no ads. It was much more enjoyable and less distracting. But I understand financing is helpful in keeping up websites such as these.
It's when the advertising overwhelms the message of the place it is advertising in, it becomes uncomfortable.
When I get that message that says: Don't shut down your computer and call this number, I shut down my computer and reboot.
So far so good LOL.
But I keep getting these Norton warnings that the system has come under attack and no action is required because it quarantines them.
I do update Norton and keep it current, but ever now and then one sneaks through.

First, about the advertising....I use the free Vivaldi browser which blocks all ads. No tracking either. And I think they limit cookies or something like that.

@Ziggy About those pop-ups....they are from scammers in India. They operate out of huge call centers in India.

Some of the pop-ups will claim to be from Norton or Microsoft.
Once they get you to phone them, they will eventually get to the place of stealing from your bank account.

I learned the above by watching Scammer Payback and Kitboga on YouTube.

www.christianityboard.com/threads/a-warning-how-scammers