The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sigh so you feel you need a extra security blanket with your salvation for when you die . the above has NOTHING to do with purgatory
No answer? Did the cat get your tongue?

It has everything to do with what you said however -- that "all" your sins were paid for. That's simply not true. If it were, why would Peter write:

1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

Why would Jesus give the Apostles the authority to remit sins?

John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

I asked that question hoping to get a straightforward answer. I got no answer, so let me tell you this. If you think you can sin against your fellow man and run to ask God for forgiveness without doing anything to try to repair the damage you did, God will consider you a liar if you say love Him. We cannot claim to love God if we don't love others.

1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

So if you think you could steal my car and keep it and talk God into forgiving you, you are seriously mistaken. God wouldn't want to see your face if you had that attitude.

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Tread cautiously then for some people who think they are Jesus' servants could find themselves in a worse place than Purgatory if they have a bad attitude. God is not mocked.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They would be lucky to qualify for Purgatory.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think @Giuliano was suggesting purgatory was being referenced. He was making the point that forgiveness doesn't come automatically just because you happen to believe it does. Restoring what you have stolen is important. So also is forgiving others. There are conditions to being forgiven. God's love is unconditional. Salvation isn't
I think maybe it can be connected at times. Say I stole money from you, repented and wanted to repay you but you died. I couldn't do the appropriate penance to show God I loved my fellow man. Now I could wait and hope to pay it off in Purgatory; but I wouldn't advise that. While I couldn't fix the situation between you and me, I could still do other acts of charity. Perhaps you have family members who could use the money. Perhaps I could donate money to a food bank. I could also devote time praying -- although I wouldn't suggest thinking that praying by itself would entitle me to keep the money. I think I'd give the money away (maybe even more than I stole) and pray for people in the world, praying the world becomes a better place. If I'm truly sorry, I'd want to do whatever I could to fix the situation even if I couldn't return the money to you.

Why do people stumble at this? Even if I didn't believe in Purgatory, even if I believed Jesus paid for all my sins, I should want to be loving to other. Why do people object to being told they ought to love others or God might not be pleased?

Reactions: brakelite

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all urges to sin are conquered immediately? I don't think so.

I didn't speak of "urges".

I spoke of Belief and Commitment.

Scripture teaches ABOUT a natural man...
And WHERE a natural mans BELIEFS begin...
Which is IN his Carnal MIND.
A natrual man, hears, sees, "something", and then with his Natural Carnal MIND, begins to "think" about what he heard or saw. He "ciphers" between how what he heard (or saw) might, could be, TRUE or NOT.
A natural man RELIES on what Makes Sense to his Carnal Mind.
That process of Picking to Believe what Makes Sense, is called a LOGICAL conclusion.

I'm sure many men have BELIEVED IN God, In Jesus, "BY" Logically concluding in their Carnal Mind, it made Sense to them.

(And to note; Every man, hearing and believing....AT THAT TIME, (they ARE Believing) "ARE" being "enlightened", meaning they "ARE" receiving "measures of Gods gift of Faith.

I'm sure many of those SAME men, have LATER received information or been involved in discussions, and THEY thereafter, IN their Carnal MIND, became Logically convinced, They DO "NOT" believe IN God, IN Jesus.

Scripture calls such a man, "having fallen from Faith".

(And to note; Every man, who WAS believing, and THEN STOPS, also STOPS receiving measures of Gods gift of Faith.)

Point being; men, "Can" Believe and Stop believing.........Receive Gods Gift of Faith....and Stop receiving Gods Gift of Faith.......

UNTIL SUCH TIME .... a man is NO LONGER deciding his BELIEF, by a Carnal Minded "Logical" conclusion.

Scripture is FULL of teaching ABOUT the HEART. It is the "THOUGHTS" of the "HEART" by which men MAKE a "COMMITMENT" of BELIEF IN God, IN Christ, and thereafter, ARE KEPT in Belief, By the POWER of God.

In brief...The Carnal Mind is AGAINST God.
The Carnal Mind decides things on LOGIC. The Heart decides things on TRUST IN God, IN Jesus, without consideration if it MAKES SENSE.

Humans (Jews or Gentiles) all learn the same way. Hear, mindfully figure if it makes sense, logically conclude, believe it, later receive more information, change our Minds. And it is Always, LATER, that Understanding (of the received information ), becomes understood.

Once a Heart decides to Trust God is the Absolute Truth, there is no ciphering (Mindful logical concluding) required, it IS what it IS, as God said "I AM that I AM".

The "understanding" of the TRUTH/ God is there-AFTER, revealed BY God, forward to the person, who Chose to Commit their Heartfelt Belief To the Lord God Himself, and such person becomes CALLED...Faith-FULL.

So all urges to sin are conquered immediately? I don't think so.

I DO, believe The sins ARE immediately conquered .... AT the time of a persons CONVERSION IN Christ.

But then, I do NOT KNOW, what YOU believe SIN IS.

Perhaps you could elaborate for discussion.

Continued:

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't speak of "urges".

I spoke of Belief and Commitment.

Scripture teaches ABOUT a natural man...
And WHERE a natural mans BELIEFS begin...
Which is IN his Carnal MIND.
A natrual man, hears, sees, "something", and then with his Natural Carnal MIND, begins to "think" about what he heard or saw. He "ciphers" between how what he heard (or saw) might, could be, TRUE or NOT.
A natural man RELIES on what Makes Sense to his Carnal Mind.
That process of Picking to Believe what Makes Sense, is called a LOGICAL conclusion.

I'm sure many men have BELIEVED IN God, In Jesus, "BY" Logically concluding in their Carnal Mind, it made Sense to them.

(And to note; Every man, hearing and believing....AT THAT TIME, (they ARE Believing) "ARE" being "enlightened", meaning they "ARE" receiving "measures of Gods gift of Faith.

I'm sure many of those SAME men, have LATER received information or been involved in discussions, and THEY thereafter, IN their Carnal MIND, became Logically convinced, They DO "NOT" believe IN God, IN Jesus.

Scripture calls such a man, "having fallen from Faith".

(And to note; Every man, who WAS believing, and THEN STOPS, also STOPS receiving measures of Gods gift of Faith.)

Point being; men, "Can" Believe and Stop believing.........Receive Gods Gift of Faith....and Stop receiving Gods Gift of Faith.......

UNTIL SUCH TIME .... a man is NO LONGER deciding his BELIEF, by a Carnal Minded "Logical" conclusion.

Scripture is FULL of teaching ABOUT the HEART. It is the "THOUGHTS" of the "HEART" by which men MAKE a "COMMITMENT" of BELIEF IN God, IN Christ, and thereafter, ARE KEPT in Belief, By the POWER of God.

In brief...The Carnal Mind is AGAINST God.
The Carnal Mind decides things on LOGIC. The Heart decides things on TRUST IN God, IN Jesus, without consideration if it MAKES SENSE.

Humans (Jews or Gentiles) all learn the same way. Hear, mindfully figure if it makes sense, logically conclude, believe it, later receive more information, change our Minds. And it is Always, LATER, that Understanding (of the received information ), becomes understood.

Once a Heart decides to Trust God is the Absolute Truth, there is no ciphering (Mindful logical concluding) required, it IS what it IS, as God said "I AM that I AM".

The "understanding" of the TRUTH/ God is there-AFTER, revealed BY God, forward to the person, who Chose to Commit their Heartfelt Belief To the Lord God Himself, and such person becomes CALLED...Faith-FULL.

I DO, believe The sins ARE immediately conquered .... AT the time of a persons CONVERSION IN Christ.

But then, I do NOT KNOW, what YOU believe SIN IS.

Perhaps you could elaborate for discussion.

Continued:

Glory to God,
Taken
Sin is injuring others. If we love others, we want to avoid hurting them. Thus the Golden Rule sums it up. If I don't steal from you because I know it would injure you and also know I wouldn't others to injure me by stealing from me, I'm showing love.

If I do steal from you, I can't say I love you; and I've also offended against God who sees you being injured by me. God doesn't like to see any of His children suffering. He doesn't want that, so I'm offending against Him by opposing His Will.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll rely on what Jesus said about Gehinnom. His description of the rich man and Lazarus is typical Jewish thought.

That's good, so do I.
But do you understand what was said?

If indeed they are dead. But Abraham is not dead. Jesus said as much.

DEAD...?
Abraham's BODY IS DEAD.
Abraham's SOUL and SPIRIT are ALIVE.

DEAD....?
A NEW "OPTION" / "Covenant" was Given us BY Jesus.
MY BODY is physically ALIVE...
AND
SPIRITUALLY DEAD...(curcified with Christ).
MY SOUL is ALIVE "and" RESTORED/Saved BY and unto the Lord.
MY SPIRIT is ALIVE, IN Christ, by the REBIRTH of my spirit BY Gods SEED.

Separated from God? How could that be?

God caused DIVISION in ancient OT times.
He DIVIDED PEOPLE;
People WITH Him
And
People AGAINST Him.
(People became called: Hebrews/Tribes of Israel/Israel......ie those WITH God)
All others became called: Gentiles...ie those WITHOUT God).

When Jesus came to Earth;
He mimicked what God did;
Jesus announced He came TO DIVIDE;

Luke 12
[51] Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

So yes, there IS Division among people:
Those WITH the Lord God...
And Those WITHOUT the Lord God.

And what DECIDES "who" is With and "who" is Without....hinges on each individuals BELIEF...."FOR" (with) the Lord God, or "AGAINST" (without) the Lord God.

And yes, A DAY will come to pass, at which time... A SEPARATION "OF" those DIVIDED, WILL take place.

Currently, there ARE men divided, with God, and without God....and we all occupy the Earth mixed together.

The "SEPARATION" shall cause and effect, ALL with God to be Together ON the Earth and ALL without God to be Together IN the Earth...ie no longer MIXED...but Separated.

Psalm 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

CORRECT...
OT teaching. OT effect. OT application.

Already spoke to this.
"IF" ones (soul) ascended up to heaven...God is there.
"IF" ones (soul) ascended down to hell...God was there.

Psalms is written BEFORE Jesus was manifested, so the context is what OT men Knew, not what was Later revealed, and we later knew.

AFTER Jesus, PART of that Scripture was FULFILLED, when Jesus' soul descended down to the heart of the earth, and THEN ascended UPON the surface of the Earth.

Jesus is FIRST in ALL things. Saved souls WITH God (Tree of Life), "DID go" to the Comfort side (of the Dividing Gulf) in Hell.

AFTER JESUS' soul, descended, and ascended to and from Hell...
Saved souls (of bodily dead men) go Directly to Heaven with God.
Quickened spirits (of Bodily dead men) go Directly to Heaven with God.
Bodies of dead men, are buried and rot, going back to dust.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't need to make things so complicated. What is Gehinnom (the spiritual place, not the physical valley) is the subject. If we want to know what Jews think Gehinnom is, we can find out. We don't need to speculate.

Do Jews Believe in Hell? - What Is the Jewish Belief on Hell?

The Jewish mystics described a spiritual place called “Gehinnom.” This is usually translated as “Hell,” but a better translation would be “the Supernal Washing Machine.” Because that’s exactly how it works. The way our soul is cleansed in Gehinnom is similar to the way our clothes are cleansed in a washing machine.

Put yourself in your socks’ shoes, so to speak. If you were to be thrown into boiling hot water and flung around for half an hour, you might start to feel that someone doesn’t like you. However, the fact is that it is only after going through a wash cycle that the socks can be worn again.

We don’t put our socks in the washing machine to punish them. We put them through what seems like a rough and painful procedure only to make them clean and wearable again. The intense heat of the water loosens the dirt, and the force of being swirled around shakes it off completely. Far from hurting your socks, you are doing them a favor by putting them through this process.

I get your point.
I am aware of Jews name for hell, and it's derivative comparison to the valley of Hinnon and what occured there.

I am not a Jew. I am a Gentile by natural birth.
What historical (faith-FULL) and (unfaith-FULL) Hebrews and Tribes of Israel DID, and DO, does not AFFECT me.

Jesus WAS "accepted" by 11 of 12 men He chose as Disciples. The 11, mindfully were learning, wondering, questioning, believing, doubting....AND CONTINUED following, even when they DID NOT yet "understand".
1 (Judas) deflected, stopped following, stopped believing, and Never received Salvation of his soul.

The message Jesus brought, was MEN could receive Salvation of their soul, and quickening of their spirit........BEFORE physical death.

The Disciples taking Jesus' message to Jews...
"WAS" at their time being widely accepted by many Jews.......
After the deaths of Jesus' Disciples, the acceptance BY the JEWS, (for a man to Receive Salvation and quickened spirit) dwindled... AND became more Widely Accepted BY Gentiles.

Jews REMAINING in Faith OF GOD, still Believe, IN God, IN the Word of God, IN purification of their Soul....but rejecting "JESUS" AS THEIR Messiah, also reject purification of their SOUL, BY JESUS CHRIST, "through" the Spirit of God, and Rather, KEEP the OLD Covenant, that "purification" of their soul, occurs IN Hell, THROUGH FIRE.

A man IN Christ, believes Christ purifies their "corrupt" SOUL, through, the Spirit of God, (while they are still ALIVE in their FLESH)...

So too with the soul. Every act we do in our lifetime leaves an imprint on our soul. The good we do brightens and elevates our soul, and every wrongdoing leaves a stain that needs to be cleansed. If, at the end of our life, we leave this world without fixing the wrongs we have done, our soul is unable to reach its place of rest on high. We must go through a cycle of deep cleansing. Our soul is flung around at an intense spiritual heat to rid it of any residue it may have gathered, and to prepare it for entry into Heaven.

Yes, what Every man does, reflects on the soul within the man.

Dependant upon what the MAN accepts and chooses and Commits to, Reveals what specifically APPLIES to that MAN.

I am a Gentile who has chosen and accepted Jesus' Word as absolute Truth. I chose to Commit my LIFE to Him. I Trust He Forgave the whole of me, body, soul, spirit, and He accepted my body, crucified with Him, and He, with His Power, Restored my soul, and He, with His Seed, birthed again my spirit.

Thus, I do not Wait to see, or experience a PURIFICATION process....I am already Prepared to be bodily Risen UP in Glory, at the time the Lord Jesus descends from Heaven to the Clouds, there I shall rise up to meet Him.

Purgatory or Gehinnom is not meant as a place of punishment although some may feel pain there. It is meant to cleanse or purge the soul.

Souls of Faithful OT men went to the comfort side of Hell. THEY had NOT YET, been revealed the SAVIOR, Christ Jesus.

Once the SAVIOR Christ Jesus was REVEALED, went and left hell, Souls of the Faithful and Saved go directly to heaven, after bodily death.

Catholics (and some Protestants) teach Purgatory is a place for Souls that WHAT?

Rejeceted God and then Will be purified by Fire, and then Accepted "BY" God?
(Doesn't that Omit, the individuals acceptance of God?)

Jews teach Gehinnom is a place for Souls that WHAT?

Accepted God and then Will be purified by FIRE?

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Gentile who has chosen and accepted Jesus' Word as absolute Truth. I chose to Commit my LIFE to Him. I Trust He Forgave the whole of me, body, soul, spirit, and He accepted my body, crucified with Him, and He, with His Power, Restored my soul, and He, with His Seed, birthed again my spirit.
If we take his words as truth, then we need to find out what certain words meant to people then.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How does 'purgatory' satisfy to the person, or society, for your offense?

On the cross Jesus said "It is finished". Colossians 2:14 says "having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross."

As far as sinning once we're saved goes, that's why we confess them -

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:19

If (general) you steal something and confess the sin to Jesus, of course you should repay the person you stole from. But you are forgiven for the deed if you're sincerely repentant. If you don't repay the person, you lose reward.

We're purified by Jesus, not fire from a place of invention. The teaching of your church sure knows how to take scripture and put a twist to it, though.
Isaiah 53 also speaks in terms of a successful, completed work. In Hebrews, the Son of God Who purged His people's sins, 'sat down' at the Father's right hand, indicating a finished work; the subsequent Epistle shows clearly that His work is better and accepted.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, I think the scripture you referring to is first Corinthians not second. My take on things is likely quite different from most, and coincidentally @VictoryinJesus started a thread on the verse I would base my understanding on... That God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29. Another verse questions... Who shall stand in the midst of everlasting burnings...
Now I see the actual presence of God add being that which removes impurities from the life... And we become like gold tried in fire as Peter said. I get that Catholics believe such a process needs to continue after this life...I disagree. I believe the growth and perfection of character is attainable... Even the necessary, in this life. I am not saying that it struggle against sin and the carnal nature will ever be resolved in this life... The battle against "self" will ensure till the day we die.
I read in revelation how the new Jerusalem descends or of heaven to the earth, with the saints inside. The unsaved multitude are raised from the dead to face their judgement, and a fire or of heaven destroys them. This I believe is the presence of God... No sin... No evil... No impurity in moral character can abide in the presence of God. The more of the presence of God... The spirit of God...W have in our lives the more sanctified we shall become... The more we shall grow, for by beholding we are changed.
As you know, I am not a fan of eternal torment. I do not believe God's future universe will have anything in it that mars is perfection. Sin and sinners I believe will forever cease to exist.
The problem with your view is that verse 13 specifically points to this being an event taking place at JudgementNOT during our lifetime.

1 Cor. 3:13
“. . . each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.”

“The Day” here is referring to Judgement Day.

This is NOT part of the process of sanctification during our life – but a state of purification before entering Heaven.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No answer? Did the cat get your tongue?

It has everything to do with what you said however -- that "all" your sins were paid for. That's simply not true. If it were, why would Peter write:

1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

I asked that question hoping to get a straightforward answer. I got no answer, so let me tell you this. If you think you can sin against your fellow man and run to ask God for forgiveness without doing anything to try to repair the damage you did, God will consider you a liar if you say love Him. We cannot claim to love God if we don't love others.

1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

So if you think you could steal my car and keep it and talk God into forgiving you, you are seriously mistaken. God wouldn't want to see your face if you had that attitude.

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Tread cautiously then for some people who think they are Jesus' servants could find themselves in a worse place than Purgatory if they have a bad attitude. God is not mocked.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

have you lost your mind duhhh the subject is purgatory if believe the Blood is not good enough to cover your sins . i feel sorry for you ,you have a work based salvation
yes you have lost your mind read 1 john 1:9 actually it is you that is to forgive .or does your bible read something else .i have read alot of junk in my time ..but yours just about tops it off. if you cant trust Grace to get you to heaven . your in sad shape.. i have no more time for this garbage your trying to sell

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have you lost your mind duhhh the subject is purgatory if believe the Blood is not good enough to cover your sins . i feel sorry for you ,you have a work based salvation yes you have lost your mind read 1 john 1:9 actually it is you that is to forgive .or does your bible read something else .i have read alot of junk in my time ..but yours just about tops it off. if you cant trust Grace to get you to heaven . your in sad shape.. i have no more time for this garbage your trying to sell
I quote the Bible and you say I've lost my mind? I think maybe that's your guilty conscience talking. I urge you to fix whatever is bothering your conscience.

I do not say anyone can be saved by his works -- but by their fruit, you will know them. You cannot have bad works and claim to be a good Christian. If Jesus fixes us, we stop doing those bad works.

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quote the Bible and you say I've lost my mind? I think maybe that's your guilty conscience talking. I urge you to fix whatever is bothering your conscience.

I do not say anyone can be saved by his works -- but by their fruit, you will know them. You cannot have bad works and claim to be a good Christian. If Jesus fixes us, we stop doing those bad works.
the cheese has done slipped off your cracker. btw the devil can quote the bible to . my only guilty conscience is trying to correspond with you on purgatory .. back to beating the dead horse.. at lEAST i will know the results

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the cheese has done slipped off your cracker. btw the devil can quote the bible to . my only guilty conscience is trying to correspond with you on purgatory .. back to beating the dead horse.. at lEAST i will know the results
Insults are all you have?

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I am struck by how some people focus so much on what Paul wrote, often neglecting other Scriptures. Paul is hard to understand; and Peter warned us about how we might misinterpret what Paul wrote.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is injuring others. If we love others, we want to avoid hurting them. Thus the Golden Rule sums it up. If I don't steal from you because I know it would injure you and also know I wouldn't others to injure me by stealing from me, I'm showing love.

If I do steal from you, I can't say I love you; and I've also offended against God who sees you being injured by me. God doesn't like to see any of His children suffering. He doesn't want that, so I'm offending against Him by opposing His Will.

You appear to speak more of behaviors of Trespasses between men

I believe SIN...

Is: transgression Against God
Pss 54:4

Is: transgression of the Law
1 John 3:4

I believe Only God can forgive Sin.
Luke 5:21

I believe Men can forgive Men of Trespasses.
Matt 6:14

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we take his words as truth, then we need to find out what certain words meant to people then.

Are you making a point to something I said?
If so, what?

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You appear to speak more of behaviors of Trespasses between men

I believe SIN...

Is: transgression Against God
Pss 54:4

Is: transgression of the Law
1 John 3:4

I believe Only God can forgive Sin.
Luke 5:21

I believe Men can forgive Men of Trespasses.
Matt 6:14

Glory to God,
Taken
What happens to men who refuse to forgive others their trespasses? What happens to men who "trespass" against others and do not get those things fixed in this world?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am struck by how some people focus so much on what Paul wrote, often neglecting other Scriptures. Paul is hard to understand; and Peter warned us about how we might misinterpret what Paul wrote.
stuck you are.. paul is not hard to understand i could try to explain but it would be like a mule looking at a new gate