The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not seem to believe that souls can be purified in the place the Jews call Gehinnom.

I believe souls Can Be consumed IN Hell FIRE...

I DO NOT Believe souls IN HELL "separated" from God WILL Be "SAVED".

Matt 10:
[28] ...fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt 25:
[41] Then shall he say also unto "them on the left hand", Depart from me, ye cursed, into "everlasting" fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
stuck you are.. paul is not hard to understand i could try to explain but it would be like a mule looking at a new gate
So you're saying Peter was wrong about that. Okay, have it your way.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe souls Can Be consumed IN Hell FIRE...

I DO NOT Believe souls IN HELL "separated" from God WILL Be "SAVED".

Matt 10:
[28] ...fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt 25:
[41] Then shall he say also unto "them on the left hand", Depart from me, ye cursed, into "everlasting" fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Glory to God,
Taken
Does Jesus say this to people immediately after they die? The way I read it, he metes out that judgment later.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happens to men who refuse to forgive others their trespasses? What happens to men who "trespass" against others and do not get those things fixed in this world?

...men who refuse to forgive others their trespasses?

1) God will not forgive their trespasses.
2) Men become bitter.
3) Bitterness leads to physical and mental health frailties.
4) Man may also be subject to negative consequences, per civil laws.
5) Loss of friends and brothers.

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) God will not forgive their trespasses.
2) Men become bitter.
3) Bitterness leads to physical and mental health frailties.
4) Man may also be subject to negative consequences, per civil laws.
5) Loss of friends and brothers.

Glory to God,
Taken
So what happens then if a Christian dies with some things left unresolved? I don't think it means people will be damned. No, I think it means they will have to pay for their trespasses themselves.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does Jesus say this to people immediately after they die?

No. Jesus spoke beforehand of what Shall be.

The way I read it, he metes out that judgment later.

During the Gathering of Nations...

Matt 25:

[31] When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
[32] And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
[33] And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

[41] Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

[46] And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Jesus spoke beforehand of what Shall be.

During the Gathering of Nations...

Matt 25:

[31] When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
[32] And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
[33] And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

[41] Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

[46] And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Glory to God,
Taken
Right, and that leaves us wondering about the unresolved issues that Christians had when they died. I don't think they will go into everlasting punishment when the goats are separated from the sheep. I think those issues get handled right after they die.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what happens then if a Christian dies with some things left unresolved?

Forgiveness "BY" God, (for sin Against God and for trespasses Against men)...is rewarded "BY" God.

Unforgiven sin AND Unforgiven trespasses, BY" God....is a mans "LOSS" of reward, the man "could" have received, but does not receive.

I don't think it means people will be damned.

Unresolved Forgiveness "BY" God, for a mans "rejection" "OF" God,
Does result in the mans damnination.

Unresolved Forgiveness "BY" God, for a mans
"Trespasses" Against men,
DOES NOT result in the mans damnination.

No, I think it means they will have to pay for their trespasses themselves.

Already covered that.
Men who trespass AGAINST men, and DO NOT Resolve their trespasses, Against men, DO suffer the negative consequences...
On earth, (as exampled in the previous post).
And
In the Lords Kingdom, by loss of rewards they could have had.

Glory to God,
Taken

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiveness "BY" God, (for sin Against God and for trespasses Against men)...is rewarded "BY" God.

Unforgiven sin AND Unforgiven trespasses, BY" God....is a mans "LOSS" of reward, the man "could" have received, but does not receive.

Unresolved Forgiveness "BY" God, for a mans "rejection" "OF" God,
Does result in the mans damnination.

Unresolved Forgiveness "BY" God, for a mans
"Trespasses" Against men,
DOES NOT result in the mans damnination.

Already covered that.
Men who trespass AGAINST men, and DO NOT Resolve their trespasses, Against men, DO suffer the negative consequences...
On earth, (as exampled in the previous post).
And
In the Lords Kingdom, by loss of rewards they could have had.

Glory to God,
Taken
I think God has more mercy He can give. We humans often do things without knowing what we're doing. Sometimes we damage others and can't fix things. I think if our intentions are right and if we would want to fix things if we could, God has a way out of it for us since God judges us by our hearts. I think the loss of rewards is for willful sins only.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, and that leaves us wondering about the unresolved issues that Christians had when they died. I don't think they will go into everlasting punishment when the goats are separated from the sheep. I think those issues get handled right after they die.

Every man has his "own life"...
Every mans "own life" is his BLOOD.

Every mans BLOOD "LIFE", SHALL BE "taken" By God.

Every man HAS the choice...
To GIVE his "own Life" to the Lord God,
Or
Simply wait "for the Lord God" to take the mans life.

A man WHO, willingly "gives" his "own life" TO the Lord God, is forever KEPT, by the Power of God; "WITH" the Lord God.

A man WHO, rejects "giving" his "own life" TO the Lord God, is forever Divided and Separated FROM and WITHOUT God.

THAT ^^ applies to the Division and Separation of ... One man and God.

However there is a Division and Separation Process that applies TO:...ALL men and God.

Man (individual) and Men (plural) can be Divided on earth, Separated on earth...yet a day will come when ALL men that belong to God shall be completely Separated from ALL men who rejected God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God has more mercy He can give. We humans often do things without knowing what we're doing. Sometimes we damage others and can't fix things. I think if our intentions are right and if we would want to fix things if we could, God has a way out of it for us since God judges us by our hearts. I think the loss of rewards is for willful sins only.

I believe we are responsible for what we know.
It is true, men do not know ALL things. And there are times men trespass against other men without intent. Once the trespass is realized, is then the opportunity to correct and forgive or be forgiven for the trespass.

I believe Loss of rewards is for a mans;
Sin Against God...
And
A mans unresolved forgiveness of a mans trespass Against man.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Giuliano

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop wasting your time.

@Ezra and @Taken are so blinded by anti-Catholic hatred that they refuse to understand the Biblical concepts of Final Purification. It’s worse than ignorance because it’s a refusal to accept the truth.

They keep comparing it to Hell – where a person cannot be saved – or a place where we “work off” our sins - or that Christ's blood is "insufficient."

This is a misrepresentation of the doctrine and an outright refusal to have an intelligent discourse about it.

As the saying goes – There is none so blind as the one who refuses to see . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop wasting your time.

@Ezra and @Taken are so blinded by anti-Catholic hatred that they refuse to understand the Biblical concepts of Final Purification. It’s worse than ignorance because it’s a refusal to accept the truth.

They keep comparing it to Hell – where a person cannot be saved – or a place where we “work off” our sins - or that Christ's blood is "insufficient."

This is a misrepresentation of the doctrine and an outright refusal to have an intelligent discourse about it.

As the saying goes – There is none so blind as the one who refuses to see . . .
lol how know brown cow keep drinking your kool aid. you 2 can be like 2 peas in a pod

B

brakelite

The problem with your view is that verse 13 specifically points to this being an event taking place at JudgementNOT during our lifetime.

1 Cor. 3:13
“. . . each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.”

“The Day” here is referring to Judgement Day.

This is NOT part of the process of sanctification during our life – but a state of purification before entering Heaven.
Sorry, but I'm confused about what you are saying here. Other posts you have said that purgatory is a process that prepares folk for heaven. That it takes time to cleanse them. Now you say it is a one off event that happens in one day?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i realize this is like bating a dead horse. the doctrine of purgatory is about as fake as a 4.00 bill. it sounds good but it is NOT BIBLE. TO SAY PURGATORY is needed to purify us after death .
takes the Blood at calvary that christ shed on the cross for our sins is not good enough .we have been redeemed and the Blood stays on us . all the way through death it gives us the guarantee to those who are truly saved . a straight in passage to heaven
1 Peter 1:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Galatians 3:12-14 King James Version (KJV)
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

note this days not say purgatory
Hebrews 10:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, { heaven}

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Revelation 1:4-6 King James Version (KJV)
4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

what part of for ever and ever dont you all understand? this is not sme license or excuse to sin .
do you not understand what a advocate is and who is our advocate the Holy spirit intercedes for us..
Advocate [N] [E]

Reactions: Taken

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
advocate
is one who intercedes in behalf of another and is used to refer to Christ interceding with the Father on behalf of the sinners.

Hebrews 2:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
2 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.

2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;

3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

if you feel the need to continue believing the need for purgatory you could be guilty of How much worse punishment do you think one will deserve who has trampled on the Son of God, who has regarded as profane the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? POSSIBILITY ONE might not be saved . that would be sad to hear depart from me you worker of iniquity i know ye NOT

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but I'm confused about what you are saying here. Other posts you have said that purgatory is a process that prepares folk for heaven. That it takes time to cleanse them. Now you say it is a one off event that happens in one day?
they dont have a clue all they know is what some man made doctrine told them

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you point me to the post where I said that Purgatory takes any amount of "time"?
Who said anything about "one day" - or ANY amount of time??