The Explanation Of Speaking In Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
Speaking in tongues is real.

It's misunderstood by every Pentecostal I know. It's real only in the same way it is described by the experiences we see in the bible. And in public it's meant to be a sign to unbelievers and always an earthly language. How can it be a sign if you can't validate the gift since it is easily counterfeited. I've heard bsome pretty awful tongues speakers.

The Holy Spirit in you knows better than you do what you need.

That may be true. But what scripture say's that you must speak in tongues because of that?

When you are praying and praising and come to an impass as to what you are trying to tell God, He will speak on your behalf using your own voice.

That's what the Pentecostal's would like you to believe but where is the scriptural evidence for it?

You do not need to know what it is said. You need only allow the Holy Spirit to speak.

That actually makes no sense to me but maybe you can provide a scripture. There are no impasses because God knows what we need before we ask! To think that speaking in tongues is a way to overcome our inability to express ourselves to God is self deception and a belief in a contradcton. But I do admit you've had some help.

Sometimes He interjects phrases/statements during your normal praise and worshiping outloud and sometimes - when you release control - He will speak long and loud for you.

And that's just what Paul was warning you about and telling you to avoid.

He is your intercessor. He allows you to worship Jesus in a way you alone can't and He is able to ask Jesus for exactly what you need, be it guidance, assistance, intercession, etc.

Jesus is our intercessor. Are we some sort of mindless pawn and have to speak in tongues for guidance, assistance, and intercession? Speaking in tongues isn't required to be influenced by the Holy Spirit. It makes one appear spiritually affluent and significant....to other Pentecostal's anyway.

This is not a difficult or strange thing.

Yes it is when it's used outside it's scriptural context. Tongues are for real but are misused, abused, easily counterfeited and seldom validated.

God often calls on people to pray for specific things for other people. He already knows what they need, but requires the request, the intercession.

And who say's that intercession comes in the form of tongues? The Pentecostals!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in tongues is real.

The Holy Spirit in you knows better than you do what you need.

When you are praying and praising and come to an impass as to what you are trying to tell God, He will speak on your behalf using your own voice.

You do not need to know what it is said. You need only allow the Holy Spirit to speak.

Sometimes He interjects phrases/statements during your normal praise and worshiping outloud and sometimes - when you release control - He will speak long and loud for you.

He is your intercessor. He allows you to worship Jesus in a way you alone can't and He is able to ask Jesus for exactly what you need, be it guidance, assistance, intercession, etc.

This is not a difficult or strange thing.

God often calls on people to pray for specific things for other people. He already knows what they need, but requires the request, the intercession.

I'll buy that! :p

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I'll buy that! :p

How about some scripture verses to support what you've bought into!

You guy's make it sound like we are so helpless that we need to speak in tongues to worship and pray. Where's the scriptural evidence for your conclusions? Or is it that you've just fallen for something you've been taught even if it's not found in scripture!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about some scripture verses to support what you've bought into!

You guy's make it sound like we are so helpless that we need to speak in tongues to worship and pray. Where's the scriptural evidence for your conclusions? Or is it that you've just fallen for something you've been taught even if it's not found in scripture!

And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19:6

While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? - Acts 10:44-47

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19:6

While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? - Acts 10:44-47

That didn't answer my question. What scripture verse can you quote that say's we must speak in tongues because our asking, or our worship is inadequate?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That didn't answer my question. What scripture verse can you quote that say's we must speak in tongues because our asking, or our worship is inadequate?

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

In the scope of the bible speaking in tongues simply carries little weight. But there is also little weight to forbid it all together.

The Spiritual Temple...

***The Outside Temple***

1. Outer Gate - Justification
2. Alter - Salvation
3. Laver - Sanctification (Outward)

***The Inside Temple***

4. The Table of Shewbread - The word of God
5. The Lampstand - The Spiritual Light and Energy (walking in the spirit)
6. The Alter of Golden Incense - Praise and prayer

*** The Shekinah Glory***

7. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit

It is a beautiful thing when we walk inside of God's temple and partake of his spiritual things.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

In the scope of the bible speaking in tongues simply carries little weight. But there is also little weight to forbid it all together.

The Spiritual Temple...

***The Outside Temple***

1. Outer Gate - Justification
2. Alter - Salvation
3. Laver - Sanctification (Outward)

***The Inside Temple***

4. The Table of Shewbread - The word of God
5. The Lampstand - The Spiritual Light and Energy (walking in the spirit)
6. The Alter of Golden Incense - Praise and prayer

*** The Shekinah Glory***

7. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit

It is a beautiful thing when we walk inside of God's temple and partake of his spiritual things.

You still haven't quoted a verse in response to my question.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still haven't quoted a verse in response to my question.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 1 Corinthians 14:2

I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. 1 Corinthians 14:5

When we speak in tongues the Spirit prays through us and no man understands what we are saying. As the devil is a control freak it drives him crazy not knowing what we are doing before God. So tongues is simply prayer and worship in the Spirit to God. And because no man knows what we are saying it can also cause confusion in the church. In the Pentecostal Holiness church that I attend people use to speak in tongues during the worship service and many times there would be a hush in the service until someone would interpret what was being said. To me as a teenager this was very exciting not knowing what was going to happen next from service to service.

But... Perfect praise is not in the tongues as the scripture says...

And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? - Matthew 21:15-16

I like to attend revival with Beth Stephens from time to time. Here she is in Lake City, South Carolina camp meeting. The services would go past midnight. While at the alter service I saw countless young girls, on their knees, tears running down their cheeks, with their tongues going a million miles per hour speaking in some divine heavenly prayer language. Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-tpnaImcs

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 1 Corinthians 14:2

I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. 1 Corinthians 14:5

When we speak in tongues the Spirit prays through us and no man understands what we are saying. As the devil is a control freak it drives him crazy not knowing what we are doing before God. So tongues is simply prayer and worship in the Spirit to God. And because no man knows what we are saying it can also cause confusion in the church. In the Pentecostal Holiness church that I attend people use to speak in tongues during the worship service and many times there would be a hush in the service until someone would interpret what was being said. To me as a teenager this was very exciting not knowing what was going to happen next from service to service.

But... Perfect praise is not in the tongues as the scripture says...

And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? - Matthew 21:15-16

I like to attend revival with Beth Stephens from time to time. Here she is in Lake City, South Carolina camp meeting. The services would go past midnight. While at the alter service I saw countless young girls, on their knees, tears running down their cheeks, with their tongues going a million miles per hour speaking in some divine heavenly prayer language. Sweet!

There's nothing sweet about repetitive vain babblings because it's not a language at all. The true gift of tongus is validated by the hearers. If you can't validate what was spoken by what was interpreted then it's bogus.

In 73, I was in a Pentecostal service in a military chapel in West Germany. There were three Muslim's from Crete that we were helping out whose visa's had expired. During a service someone spoke in tongues and it didn't sound like a bunch of vain babblings like I would typically hear from Pentecostal's. The language I heard had structure to it. The three Muslim's were astonished. The tongues speaker, who the Muslim's knew didn't speak Greek, heard the speaker in their native language and understood what he said. The interpreter who didn't know Greek either, interpreted in English what the speaker said in Greek. One Muslim did speak English enough to hear the interpretation which was the same message he had heard spoken in Greek. This is how the gift of tongues is meant to be used and the only way it can be meant for to be a sign to unbelievers and edification of the church. That's how tongues are meant to be and the only way for them to be validated. Anything else is a fraud.

The kind of preaching I heard on the video drives me nuts. She does put on a good show and you know how we American's are...We do like a good show!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's nothing sweet about repetitive vain babblings because it's not a language at all. The true gift of tongus is validated by the hearers. If you can't validate what was spoken by what was interpreted then it's bogus.

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. - Matthew 12:31

what brought that on?

But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. - Matthew 12:24

I simply would just leave tongues alone if I were you. If you accuse something of being bogus and it is indeed real you are not insulting the individual but the power behind the individual.There are plenty of good churches to attend that don't believe in it!

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. - Matthew 12:31

what brought that on?

But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. - Matthew 12:24

I simply would just leave tongues alone if I were you. If you accuse something of being bogus and it is indeed real you are not insulting the individual but the power behind the individual.There are plenty of good churches to attend that don't believe in it!

Stop with the blasphemy line. I spoke to an old timer pastor once and this is what he said about Pentecostal's,
"We can fellowship with them but we can't worship with them."
How sad that Pentecostal's have alienated themselves because they don't understand the proper use of the gift of tongues.

You obviously have never experienced the real thing like I did and that doesn't surprise me. Speaking a million miles a minute in an unstructured language should be a sign to you of it's fraudulent nature.

What you have to realize is that speaking in tongues is easily couterfeited. I've been in Pentecostal churches for several years and almost became a minister in one. Thank God I didn't. All I hear from Pentecostal's is repetative syllables with no language structure.

There was one church I went to where one guy spoke in tongues nearly every Sunday. It always sounded the same. One Sunday I spoke to an older woman who was visiting and brought her grandchild there for the first time. While we were singing I had the feeling this man was going to speak in tongues. I also had the thought that if he did speak that woman would walk out. The man spoke, she walked out went downstairs and grabbed her grandchild and walked out. So much for speaking in tongues. The only way tongues is for real in public is for it to occur the way I described. That's the only way it can be verified. Every spiritual gift has an element of verification. But that doesn't seem to matter to Pentecostal's.

Every Pentecostal I know who speaks in tongues has no clue as to the proper administration of them. They don't care because it makes them fell spiritually significant.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop with the blasphemy line. I spoke to an old timer pastor once and this is what he said about Pentecostal's,
"We can fellowship with them but we can't worship with them."
How sad that Pentecostal's have alienated themselves because they don't understand the proper use of the gift of tongues.

Alienation? Consider what I believe to be the seven church's which came about in seven church ages...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic - Scripture still before us!.
2. Smyrna - Martyr - 10 days = 10 general Roman persecutions.
3. Pergomos - Orthodox - Still alive in many parts of the world!
4. Thyatira - Catholic - Influence still great.
5. Sardis - Protestant - Love the conferences - As Sardis is a gem so we have a decent people here.
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal - Saved / Sanctified / Filled with the Holy Ghost!
***Is revival unique to the Philadelphian church age???*** Was this the revival of the last days?
7. Laodicea - Materialistic / Charistmatic / Word of faith - Influencing a lot of churches these days.

Do the Catholics accept the Orthodox? Note that the Catholics let Constantinople fall to the Ottomans!
Do the Baptist accept the Catholics?
Do the Calvinists accept the Armenians?
Do the Baptist accept the Pentecostals?
Do the Pentecostals accept the Charismatics?

King Phillip II of Spain went to war against the 'heretic' Queen Elizabeth. Brothers and sisters? There is more prejudice in the church than just in the Pentecostals. I have often thought that it is going to be an amazing thing to see everyone together in heaven... My goodness! What changes need wrought in the heart! I am Pentecostal for the simple reason as I love alter services. When I was a Baptist I went to the alter time and time again as I loved the clean feeling in getting a touch from the Lord. I love alter services! And in most churches they have long ago taken the alters out! How can I go to a place like that?

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
Alienation? Consider what I believe to be the seven church's which came about in seven church ages...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic - Scripture still before us!.
2. Smyrna - Martyr - 10 days = 10 general Roman persecutions.
3. Pergomos - Orthodox - Still alive in many parts of the world!
4. Thyatira - Catholic - Influence still great.
5. Sardis - Protestant - Love the conferences - As Sardis is a gem so we have a decent people here.
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal - Saved / Sanctified / Filled with the Holy Ghost!
***Is revival unique to the Philadelphian church age???*** Was this the revival of the last days?
7. Laodicea - Materialistic / Charistmatic / Word of faith - Influencing a lot of churches these days.

Do the Catholics accept the Orthodox? Note that the Catholics let Constantinople fall to the Ottomans!
Do the Baptist accept the Catholics?
Do the Calvinists accept the Armenians?
Do the Baptist accept the Pentecostals?
Do the Pentecostals accept the Charismatics?

King Phillip II of Spain went to war against the 'heretic' Queen Elizabeth. Brothers and sisters? There is more prejudice in the church than just in the Pentecostals. I have often thought that it is going to be an amazing thing to see everyone together in heaven... My goodness! What changes need wrought in the heart! I am Pentecostal for the simple reason as I love alter services. When I was a Baptist I went to the alter time and time again as I loved the clean feeling in getting a touch from the Lord. I love alter services! And in most churches they have long ago taken the alters out! How can I go to a place like that?

Don't get me wrong. I still go to Pentecostal churches. And I like altar services too. I like the stations of the cross better. But speaking in tongues is a turn off to me because I've experienced the real administration of them. And I've only seen them administered correctly twice.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Don't get me wrong. I still go to Pentecostal churches. And I like altar services too. I like the stations of the cross better. But speaking in tongues is a turn off to me because I've experienced the real administration of them. And I've only seen them administered correctly twice.

What do you think of what Paul says here?
For if your gift is the ability to speak in tongues, [fn]you will be talking to God but not to people, since they won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
What do you think of what Paul says here?
For if your gift is the ability to speak in tongues, [fn]you will be talking to God but not to people, since they won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

There are two types of tongues. Tongues of men and tongues of angels. I understand this as tongues of angels since they are speaking to God and meant to be used in ones personal prayer life and not in public.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
............says who?

1 Corinthians 13:1 ¶Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

The entire chapter is a difficult one. And Paul was clear that speaking in tongues isn't that desirable in church unless there is a interpreter. That interpreter should be understood as one of an earthly language. To interpret an angelic language makes no sense to me because there's no way of verifying it and it's unnecessary since speaking in tongues in church is meant as a sign for unbelievers. And for it to be a sign it must occur the way I described and experienced it and must be verifyable. If prayer in tongues is indeed real then it must be an angelic language and is only applicable to ones personnal prayer life and not meant to be done in church.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
"blahlalallala blala broohah lalal fluh fluh gigi wiki wah woop" That's my explanation of speaking in tounges while typing in a tounge... TOP THAT!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
1 Corinthians 13:1 ¶Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

The entire chapter is a difficult one. And Paul was clear that speaking in tongues isn't that desirable in church unless there is a interpreter. That interpreter should be understood as one of an earthly language. To interpret an angelic language makes no sense to me because there's no way of verifying it and it's unnecessary since speaking in tongues in church is meant as a sign for unbelievers. And for it to be a sign it must occur the way I described and experienced it and must be verifyable. If prayer in tongues is indeed real then it must be an angelic language and is only applicable to ones personnal prayer life and not meant to be done in church.

He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and to another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to know whether it is really the Spirit of God or another spirit that is speaking. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, [fn] and another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. 1Cor. 12:10

These gifts are supernatural.
smile.gif

And for it to be a sign it must occur the way I described and experienced it and must be verifyable.

I disagree, it must be as HolySpirit decides and directs.

There are two types of tongues. Tongues of men and tongues of angels. I understand this as tongues of angels since they are speaking to God and meant to be used in ones personal prayer life and not in public.

Have you experienced this gift of speaking in tongues? Do you pray in the Spirit?
smile.gif