The gift of tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Garrison

Aug 13, 2017
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is good for you to bring this to me. Let's pretend we both have excellent English Comprehension skills.

In your 1.) you cite Paul saying, "Anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people, but to God."

Then, in your 3.) You cite Paul again saying, "If I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will it be to you, unless I bring YOU [emphasis mine] some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"

So, which is it? First Paul says tongues are not for people, then he says they are for people. This shows how flakey and dimwitted Paul and His writings are.

1 Cor. 7:12, "Speak I [Paul], not the Lord."

Now tell me, what revelation(not already found in Scripture)/knowledge(of material value)/prophecy (which came true)/word of knowledge (which was useful)" have you actually undertaken with these "tongues" you claim to know about? Anything? Or are you just all talk?

You are unable to answer this question, because you erroneously think "talking about Scripture" means it happens in you. Lol. Far from the Truth.
It seems to me that the precious things of God should just stay that way..precious.
This thread was started by Josho..as a Testimony of something good God did in his life. Something precious that God gave him..( In the Testimony section of the forum)

Matt 7 "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
We have tasted, and we know that God is good...all the time.
The Holy Spirit does what He will and when He wills...and it is good indeed.
Why does everything have to end up in a debate, or in baiting!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: pia

Garrison

Aug 13, 2017
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me, are "tongues" only for God, as you quoted Paul to have written, or are they for people in Church, as Paul also said? Which is it?

BTW, no place in Scripture calls tongues "precious." Is that sentiment merely a human addition? Some sort of a ... "hope" ... ?

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The early church needed a sign that speaking in tongues wasn't a demonic spirit and since the Jews at that time would only eat cloven feet animals God sent down cloven tongues of fire. It showed them that what they were getting was good and not evil. Acts 2.

I like hearing people speak in tongues, it's not offensive to me, it's pleasant to my ear. I don't understand what they are saying and I personally have a preference to not speak in tongues unless I'm alone but it's important to keep in mind that praise and worship isn't about you, or anyone else, it's about Him. So whether one prays in tongues or not, they are still children of God.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Garrison

Aug 13, 2017
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The early church needed a sign that speaking in tongues wasn't a demonic spirit and since the Jews at that time would only eat cloven feet animals God sent down cloven tongues of fire. It showed them that what they were getting was good and not evil. Acts 2.

I like hearing people speak in tongues, it's not offensive to me, it's pleasant to my ear. I don't understand what they are saying and I personally have a preference to not speak in tongues unless I'm alone but it's important to keep in mind that praise and worship isn't about you, or anyone else, it's about Him. So whether one prays in tongues or not, they are still children of God.
What you personally like to hear in your ears is the determinant of what exists in reality. Praise God for stating in His Word this Truth.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Tongues are real and there is nothing to fear and any teaching that instills fear is a false teaching of what tongues really is. We worship God, not fear Him. We worship in spirit and in truth with no fear of judgment. Praying and singing in tongues gives rest and refreshing and the Word says this...

Isaiah 28:11-12,

Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues
God will speak to this people,
to whom he said,
“This is the resting place, let the weary rest”;
and, “This is the place of repose”—
but they would not listen.

1 Corinthians 14:21, In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”

The Apostle Paul, happy and thankful to speak in tongues and so will you be.

1 Corinthians 14:18, I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Reactions: pia and lforrest

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Tongues are real and there is nothing to fear and any teaching that instills fear is a false teaching of what tongues really is. We worship God, not fear Him. We worship in spirit and in truth with no fear of judgment. Praying and singing in tongues gives rest and refreshing and the Word says this...

...and all the rest of the post!! .

THANK YOU...a real blessing to read an inspiring and uplifting post ...AMEN!!!

Garrison

Aug 13, 2017
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Isaiah 28:11-12,

Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues
God will speak to this people,
to whom he said,
“This is the resting place, let the weary rest”;
and, “This is the place of repose”—
but they would not listen.

1 Corinthians 14:21, In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”

The Apostle Paul, happy and thankful to speak in tongues and so will you be.

1 Corinthians 14:18, I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Garrison

Aug 13, 2017
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There Is no fear in mere hyperemotional speech. Tongues contain no power, no prophecy, no information not already in Scipture, and no usefulness. No Scripture was written to record the actual contents of tongues. They were originally meant to be a sign to Jews and to unbelievers.

It is not wise to add other thoughts to what Scripture specifies about tongues.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is good for you to bring this to me. Let's pretend we both have excellent English Comprehension skills.

In your 1.) you cite Paul saying, "Anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people, but to God."

Then, in your 3.) You cite Paul again saying, "If I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will it be to you, unless I bring YOU [emphasis mine] some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"

So, which is it? First Paul says tongues are not for people, then he says they are for people. This shows how flakey and dimwitted Paul and His writings are.

Sadly, Garrison, you are the one being "flaky and dimwitted". It is not Paul who is contradicting himself.

You don't seem to understand that there are 2 uses for the gift of tongues. The first is that expressed in 1 Cor 14:2 (NIV), "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit". This is God's gift for a person's private devotions. It is NOT for the congregation.

The second use is expressed in 1 Cor 14:13-15 (ESV):

13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.​

This is in the congregation where interpretation of the tongues is necessary. How do I know? The next verses tell us so:

16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. 18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue (1 Cor 14:15-19 ESV).​

The gift of tongues in the congregation MUST be accompanied with the gift of interpretion - note that it is not the gift of translation!

1 Cor. 7:12, "Speak I [Paul], not the Lord."

Now tell me, what revelation(not already found in Scripture)/knowledge(of material value)/prophecy (which came true)/word of knowledge (which was useful)" have you actually undertaken with these "tongues" you claim to know about? Anything? Or are you just all talk?

You are unable to answer this question, because you erroneously think "talking about Scripture" means it happens in you. Lol. Far from the Truth.

You are being judgmental towards me. I certainly can answer the question, but I'm not going to do it because of what Jesus said. It applies to you and me:

‘Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way as you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 ‘Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, “Let me take the speck out of your eye,” when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 ‘Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces (Matt 7:1-6 NIV).​

Blessings,
Oz

Reactions: pia and Helen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Tell me, are "tongues" only for God, as you quoted Paul to have written, or are they for people in Church, as Paul also said? Which is it?

Garrison,

Your contrariness is evident.

If you read the Scripture accurately, you will find it speaks plainly about tongues which

(1) involve a Christian speaking to God in private devotions (1 Cor 14:2 NIV);
(2) involve tongues with the gift of interpretation in the church gathering so that others in the congregation will be instructed (1 Cor 14:9-19 NIV).
(3) builds up the believer when speaking alone in tongues (1 Cor 14:4 NIV).

That's clear enough to me. Have you an agenda to reject God's gift of tongues? Remember Paul's admonitions:

(a) "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy" (1 Cor 14:1 NIV). Are you earnestly desiring all of the gifts of the Spirit, but especially prophecy?

(b) Are you going to emulate Paul? "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you" (1 Cor 14:18 NIV).

Oz

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be interesting to know about you other people on these forums, when and where did you 1st get the gift of tongues?
..While driving 5-7 days after being Baptized in the Holy Spirit at an Altar Call...2009.
Only 7 of us the last day of a 5 day Bible Conv...so everybody else had been already...
I was there only the last 2 days...my first day I went up and got healed of a huge issue I had for yrs and no one helped me too much with it, an injury.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have the gift of tongues. but if I did, and if i could, I would trade it for the gift of healing in a heart beat . I would not reject any gift or blessing from God. but if I could choose.
Pomp.
It's a gift? Hmm, I just pray to the Holy Spirit...He does all the work!!! LOL!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything you(may) ask in my name I will do it. This is in many verses. Anything.
John 14:14....Exactly.
icon_cheers.gif

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 14:14....Exactly.
icon_cheers.gif

Miss H,

What's the meaning of 'in my name' as that is the determining factor of whether anything I ask will be answered? Commentator John Gill considers it refers to 'whatever was according to the will of God, was for his glory, and their real good, he would do it for them, as well when absent from them, as present with them' (source).

It surely can't mean that 'anything' my selfish will asks of God will be given to me. 'Whatever is according to His will' harmonises with, 'This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us' (1 John 5:14 NIV) and 'you ask and do not receive because you ask wrongly, so you can spend it on your passions' (James 4:3 NET).

Oz

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Miss H, You may know these verses by heart, but what is your understanding of 'in my name' in John 14:14?
Can we ask anything and God is obliged to give it to us? Do we speak the word and bring into existence what we prayed for?
Oz
I was going to ask you if that was a rhetorical question or for me personally or not.
I should have followed my instinct and asked you! I didn't have the time then anyway.

Oz, this is quite an in depth thing! First, there are scholars that explain that
a 'name' was so important because, for example, knowing the Name of God (rem Moses really wanted to know It), was to know the very 'nature' of Him and so it was powerful to the person to actually know a name.
Wow, I never knew that!

I think many people think 'in my name' means to say 'Jesus' in the sentence or pray...
'May You help me, Lord, with my endeavor, in Jesus' name. Amen."
But, is that what it means?

I will be back...i will post just this part for now so I don't lose it...getting a new laptop in a couple days...this one is messing up...I have more to write!!!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha, my laptop went black 30 sec after I posted, good call!
I could talk more about the 'name'...but I will move on...

'Anything' is a huge word, isn't?!
John 16:23-4 My father will give you whatever you ask in my name,
until now you have not asked for anything in my name.

Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

Should we assume...and I never use that word!...that he left out, because of

his audience knew what he meant...that, of course...
anything that is good and righteous?

I often counsel people on prayer...'Ya don't ask God to not have you caught after a
bank robbery!!!!'....''Come on!'' LOL!
I believe it is assumed ...'according to His Will'....but, what Jesus means by
it could be 'anything', could be...2000 miles away, ASK, for your friend to be healed....
ask 2000 miles away that he arrive safely...2000 miles away ask for him to
resolve his marriage, etc...do not limit your asking of an unlimited Lord, Father God, that loves us and will do anything for us that is good.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So how does that say The gifts are not for all?
The gifts are for all but not all walk in them.
Anything you ask in my name I will do it.
i suggest that a hand asking for the gifts given to the foot is not asking in Christ's Name.
Aren't we plainly told that gifts are dispersed uniquely?
17If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be?
Clearly none of the gifts is for every Christian.
there are other supporting vv for this as well, ya

Last edited: