• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, if you didn't get your understanding from your church, strikeout the church reference from my last reply. It is still full of a strong answer to you.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, if you didn't get your understanding from your church, strikeout the church reference from my last reply. It is still full of a strong answer to you.

===============================================
marks said:
It seems to me that you are taking something that was given to a certain people at a certain time, and you are treating it as a "New Covenant Law", or something like that, to apply to a different people in a different time. I don't think that works.
We are justified by faith in Christ, but you seem to want me to think I need to do some certain thing daily to be justified by God. So then are you saying my reconciliation to God is based on Christ's propitiatory sacrifice and my daily performance of forgiving others.
Much love!
================================================

Ok here it is again, modified to answer you based on you getting you Christian learning from reading the Bible, not from a church teaching:

Yes it is new in some ways, because most have forgotten an essential teaching form Jesus, His Prayer. Yes I am bringing it to the attention of everyone, that Jesus taught us to say this prayer daily, and most are not saying it. And a lot of churches are not teaching it. Why? You calling it "something that was given to a certain people at a certain time" doesn't change anything. It was Jesus in the same Bible talking to the same people, where you or your church pulled the verses it deemed useful for your purpose.

"We are justified by faith in Christ," yes, and the Lord's Prayer fulfils it. And whether you like it or not, He did say daily. But this statement "but you seem to want me to think I need to do some certain thing daily to be justified by God" is completely contradicting to the Jesus teaching in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke11:2-4. It is not me saying, it is Jesus saying. And you would say anything to reject it so your own say-so fits. Where is your loyalty? Is it to God? I am giving you enough evidence here, with Biblical references for you to question other teaching. But all you do is find the next answer to say no.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are talking like you are committing sin everyday for it to be daily bread. How many times must Jesus die on the cross??? How many times must we be born again of the Holy Spirit to not sin?

Hello 1stCenturyLady,

Once. He did good :)
Then His body became the daily Bread in the prayer He instructed us to say.
But death on the cross? He only had to do this once.
And here are some of the Biblical references supporting this:

1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:16-17
Paul said: …there is one loaf… we all share the one loaf.

2 Corinthians 4:16:
Paul said: …Even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day.

John 6:32-33 and 6:51
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you Moses didn’t give you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.” “For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

John 6:57
…the one who “feeds” on me… Using the term “feeds” implying continual. [… give us this day our daily Bread…]

John 6:58
Contains a very clear explanation showing a parallel between the Bread (His body) and the manna in the desert, which couldn’t be hoarded more than one day (Exodus 16:4). Thus, God’s desire for our daily dependence on Him.

John 15:5
The branch is continually nourished by the Vine. Jesus is the vine, and we are the branches. Without the Lord’s Prayer daily, a branch will wither and die.

Luke 11:13
Jesus said this right after he taught them His prayer. God is giving the Holy Spirit, “to those who ask Him”. It doesn’t get much clearer than this. Obviously, God will not give you the Holy Spirit unless you ask. But Jesus is clarifying here that by renewing yourself (daily through His prayer), you’ll cleansed and make-way to receive the Holy Spirit.

John 6:26-27
Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
Jesus said this after they had been looking for Him all day, then found Him. Another big evidence that the "earthly bread", is not it in the Lord's prayer.

John 6
The entire Chapter 6 from John is all about this. The Pharisees did not get it then; Jesus knowing they did not get it, kept drilling it in with more of actual eating of His flesh and drinking of His blood throughout the chapter. And today you'd think we got it! But most churches and people still don't understand it. At best churches just call it: "basically He died for our sins..." or some other blanket statement like that. But no one knew to link it to the "daily Bread" in the Lord's prayer! Which provides our continuous feeding on Him. And keeping Him in us, and us in Him (John 15:4). This is so big, not to be taken lightly.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At best churches just call it: "basically He died for our sins..."
That's not so. This is such a massive overgeneralization, and oversimplification, how does it mean anything? Many churches teach the Scriptures faithfully and truly, and how would you think you know otherwise?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe go back to the beginning without any assuming or presuming?

Much love!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But none of those passages say this.

Much love!

Well, please take a closer look, important parts highlighted, if you don't think any of these verses are connected with the "bread" in the Lord's Prayer, then I will just shake the dust from my sandals and move on:

Paul said: …Even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day.

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you Moses didn’t give you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.” “For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

…the one who “feeds” on me… Using the term “feeds” implying continual feeding on His body. [… give us this day our daily Bread…]

Contains a very clear explanation showing a parallel between the Bread (His body) and the manna in the desert, which couldn’t be hoarded more than one day (Exodus 16:4). Thus, God’s desire for our daily dependence on Him.

The branch is continually nourished by the Vine. Jesus is the vine, and we are the branches. Without the Lord’s Prayer daily, a branch will wither and die.

Jesus said this right after he taught them His prayer. God is giving the Holy Spirit, “to those who ask Him”. It doesn’t get much clearer than this. Obviously, God will not give you the Holy Spirit unless you ask. But Jesus is clarifying here that by renewing yourself (daily through His prayer), you’ll cleansed and make-way to receive the Holy Spirit.

Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
Jesus said this after they had been looking for Him all day, then found Him. Another big evidence that the "earthly bread", is not it in the Lord's prayer.

John 6
The entire Chapter 6 from John is all about this. The Pharisees did not get it then; Jesus knowing they did not get it, kept drilling it in with more of actual eating of His flesh and drinking of His blood throughout the chapter. And today you'd think we got it! But most churches and people still don't understand it. At best churches just call it: "basically He died for our sins..." or some other blanket statement like that. But no one knew to link it to the "daily Bread" in the Lord's prayer! Which provides our continuous feeding on Him. And keeping Him in us, and us in Him (John 15:4). This is so big, not to be taken lightly.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello 1stCenturyLady,

Once. He did good :)
Then His body became the daily Bread in the prayer He instructed us to say.
But death on the cross? He only had to do this once.
And here are some of the Biblical references supporting this:

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

…the one who “feeds” on me… Using the term “feeds” implying continual. [… give us this day our daily Bread…]

John 6

The way you are using it seemed to mean that we take communion to cleanse our sins again. No, we have also entered into His resurrection and do not commit sin to be cleansed. And if we do sin, we would be unworthy taking the bread.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke11:2-4

[9]This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father who are in heaven, hallowed be your name, [10]your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. [11]Give us this day our daily bread [12]and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us. [13]Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’

The “daily bread” is not our earthly necessities. The “Daily Bread” is the Body of Jesus.

This part of the prayer is one sentence:
“Give us this day our daily Bread and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

The forgiveness of sins is the result of receiving the daily Bread, which is the Bread of life that God gives (John 6:32-33).

Jesus would never instruct us to pray for earthy necessities, as clear from His teachings throughout the bible. Example, sermon on the mount: “don’t worry about earthly needs, but seek God first…” (Matthew 6:31-33)

It is obviously implied to say the Lord’s Prayer “daily”. It would be disrespectful of us not to say it daily. Do you truly believe in Him when you’re not saying this prayer daily as He instructed?

You don’t have to chew on actual bread like some churches advise. You can receive God’s bread of life spiritually, by genuinely saying the Lord’s Prayer acknowledging the meaning of every word in it.

You might say, "what's the difference? as long as we pray the prayer." Oh there is a huge difference. Our spiritual communication with God is about what we mean. The words are meaningless unless we mean what they are in our hearts.

If you examine the original Aramaic version of this prayer, you’ll find two important facts:
1. No punctuation. Punctuation was added later in the translation. And in the case of this prayer, the translators made an error by adding a period between “…daily Bread” and “and forgive us…” There should be no punctuation there. Not because I said so, but because of all the Bible references (provided here below) that are consistent with that.

2. There were two words: “sins” and “trespasses”. “Sins” was used in reference to God. We trespass against humans, but we “sin” against God! Trespass is a soft word that lessens the significance of the offense, but when it comes to God, it is a deadly offense; proper word for it is “sins”. Jesus used the word “sins” throughout the scripture, not “trespasses”(example in John 9:41). So it’s not “… forgive us our trespasses…” It is “… forgive us our sins…”

Bible references supporting this:
“daily Bread” = Body of Jesus, not earthly necessities

John 6

Wording crafted by God Himself

Many Christians think, “surely Jesus gave us this prayer as an example. That He didn’t mean for us to repeat it daily!”

He did!!; He [God] Personally word-smithed the words perfectly. Exactly as He did throughout history. After the fall He taught Adam and Eve how to present a sacrifice fitting to Him, He crafted the Leviticus law to Moses that had to be followed precisely, and finally the Lord’s Prayer, which is the optimum method compared to previous covenants. It's a prayer that we say in our hearts once a day. It keeps us close to God, and fulfills John 5:24: "Truly I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not come under judgment but has passed from death to life."

After saying the Lord’s Prayer, the communication channels with God become wide open (through the Holy Spirit within us of course). Afterwards we can say our own prayers using our words, making our request known to God… And He will answer.

I can guess why this prayer is no longer recited daily (except occasionally at some sports games, as a tradition). It is because people are well provided for these days. And therefore, feel they don’t need to bother God by asking for the daily bread anymore (implying earthly necessities), as they have plenty of them now. And that is a sad fact of today’s people.

The other sad fact is, many people today equate earthly blessings to spiritual blessings - they drive up in their latest model SUVs to the biggest church in town… When it is the exact opposite. Having a lot of earthly riches actually equates to going to hell later (Matthew 19:24 "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”"), unless God is truly in the center of our lives.

Accepting this Biblical-fact: that a true believer must pray the Lord’s Prayer daily may seem difficult at first. This is because most churches have brainwashed people for years into thinking “do nothing, nothing at all, just mark the front of your Bible with the date you were saved / born-again / etc.”. This daily prayer to God is not “works”. It is obedience of a true believer. No wonder there is no peace on earth yet (Luke 2:14). No one has been praying it properly.

Miracles happen when we pray the Lord’s Prayer

The moment we say this prayer we become "Righteous" in the eyes of God, and therefore become standing in the presence of God (through the Holy Spirit within us) (Luke 1:19, 1Kings 18:15).

A true believer can perform miracles at this moment.

This is how Jesus performed miracles:
Step 1: Forgive sins
Step 2: Miracle
Mark gave us a glimpse of this in Mark 2:5, 11, & 12. Without Step1, can’t do Step2.

So, for us it is:
Step 1: The Lord’s Prayer for the forgiveness of sins
Step 2: In the name of Jesus Christ… miracle

But without the main ingredient, faith, nothing can be done. Even Jesus Himself could not perform miracles where there was no faith among people of that town (Mark 6:5).

He instructed His followers; to perform miracles in His name (John 14:12-14, Mark 16:17-18, Mark 9:39).

Go ahead, start praying this prayer daily. And pray it again in the presence of someone in need of a miracle. And don't freak-out when the miracle happens, it would show lack of faith. Jesus said we can move mountains (Matthew 17:20), and that we will do greater miracles than the ones He did! That's right, that's what Jesus said in John 14:12-14. And also in Acts 2:17 “’In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams."

We are there now; much closer to the "last days" now than they were back when Acts was written. I believe praying the Lord's Prayer properly will usher-in this new generation of people as predicted in John and Acts.

Welcome to the forums here @Christian Believer
Have never heard this take on The Lord's prayer. I admit, I did think it a model prayer only too but you have given a lot for thought, thank you. Looking forward to reading some of your other pearls He has shown you.
In Him,
nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, please take a closer look, important parts highlighted, if you don't think any of these verses are connected with the "bread" in the Lord's Prayer, then I will just shake the dust from my sandals and move on:

I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

…the one who “feeds” on me… Using the term “feeds” implying continual feeding on His body. [… give us this day our daily Bread…]

John 6
I look to the plain and normal reading of a passage, and start there. This one is an interesting one to look at, because bread does have various meanings in the Bible, but one of them is, in fact, the kind of bread we eat, that strengthens the heart of man. The staff of life, grains.

Father, I look to you to meet my material needs, as I attend myself to the spiritual needs of others.

I believe that when we are reborn, if we are, that Jesus comes to live in us, and I don't need to receive Him every day. He doesn't ever leave us or forsake us. I believe that in His death, God reconciled us to Himself, and having received that reconciliation, we will never be separated from Him again. We share His life, and He is eternal.

I think we have very different ideas about justification, and reconcilitation, and what it means to be reborn. We can discuss these things if you want, that's what I'm here for. But it's not going to be as worthwhile if you label or dismiss my statements as some "indoctrination", or whatever. We'll have productive conversation if you take the time to see what I'm saying, and then respond to the content I'm offering.

Much love!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums here @Christian Believer
Have never heard this take on The Lord's prayer. I admit, I did think it a model prayer only too but you have given a lot for thought, thank you. Looking forward to reading some of your other pearls He has shown you.
In Him,
nancy

Thank you Nancy!! I feel so blessed when I find another true believer, seeing the truth clearly! If you're ok emailing me directly on
[email protected], I wish to chat with you some more.

Reactions: Nancy
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look to the plain and normal reading of a passage, and start there. This one is an interesting one to look at, because bread does have various meanings in the Bible, but one of them is, in fact, the kind of bread we eat, that strengthens the heart of man. The staff of life, grains.

Father, I look to you to meet my material needs, as I attend myself to the spiritual needs of others.

I believe that when we are reborn, if we are, that Jesus comes to live in us, and I don't need to receive Him every day. He doesn't ever leave us or forsake us. I believe that in His death, God reconciled us to Himself, and having received that reconciliation, we will never be separated from Him again. We share His life, and He is eternal.

I think we have very different ideas about justification, and reconcilitation, and what it means to be reborn. We can discuss these things if you want, that's what I'm here for. But it's not going to be as worthwhile if you label or dismiss my statements as some "indoctrination", or whatever. We'll have productive conversation if you take the time to see what I'm saying, and then respond to the content I'm offering.

Much love!

Yes sir, I agree with you partly. But here's the hole truth:
Declaring belief in Jesus is the beginning of a journey of getting to know Him. It goes in this order:
1. Birth of the flesh, 1st birth.
2. Spiritual birth, born again.
3. Spiritual maturity.

It is the 3rd item that most churches and people ignore, but is very clear in many verses in the Bible. For example, part of the 3rd item is the daily reciting of the Lord's Prayer as fulfilment to this declaration.
To pray the Lord's Prayer daily as He instructed, is not "works", it is not anything we are adding for our salvation. It is obedience and maturing spiritually. This may take some time to sink in. But it is a truth from the Bible that many miss.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way you are using it seemed to mean that we take communion to cleanse our sins again. No, we have also entered into His resurrection and do not commit sin to be cleansed. And if we do sin, we would be unworthy taking the bread.

Hmm, so are you saying that you don't sin anymore, 1stCenturyLady? Then you don't need the Bread of life; you're already righteous now. The Bread of life is needed for those of us who sin. It is not about whether we are worthy of it; we are all worthy of it. The Bread of life that Jesus gives, is specifically for sinners. That is what Jesus said (I can provide many Biblical references). And since you never sin anymore, I can see how you see it that way.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, so are you saying that you don't sin anymore, 1stCenturyLady? Then you don't need the Bread of life; you're already righteous now. The Bread of life is needed for those of us who sin. It is not about whether we are worthy of it; we are all worthy of it. The Bread of life that Jesus gives, is specifically for sinners. That is what Jesus said (I can provide many Biblical references). And since you never sin anymore, I can see how you see it that way.

CB I have been born again and the carnal nature was crucified with Jesus. I actually felt it leave my body. It was like a great weight lifted out of me, and I felt light as a feather. We do not have to struggle with sin. How come you don't know that?

Romans 6:
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

I would say you have quite a bit of unlearning to do before you can grasp the truth about why Jesus came. 1 John 3:5-9

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To pray the Lord's Prayer daily as He instructed, is not "works", it is not anything we are adding for our salvation. It is obedience and maturing spiritually. This may take some time to sink in. But it is a truth from the Bible that many miss.
To me, the "daily recitation of the Lord's prayer" would be just that, a daily recitation. I believe God's intent for us is to commune with Him in all times, to be speaking to Him, listening to Him, at all times.

Much love!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The words "give us" suggest there are several people gathered together. There are few if any communities that can gather together every day except for the family, and I am picturing in my mind, the family gathered together for prayers before the day begins. I can well imagine devout Jewish Christians doing this, and coming from the lips of Jesus, what more can we do other than to be "doers of the Word." It is a new thought to me and a very blessed one. May God bless.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the 3rd item that most churches and people ignore,
Maybe you need a better set of churches, a more committed set of friends?

Or how is it you say, Most people? Have you actually MET most people? Gotten to know them a little?

Much love!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To me, the "daily recitation of the Lord's prayer" would be just that, a daily recitation. I believe God's intent for us is to commune with Him in all times, to be speaking to Him, listening to Him, at all times.

Much love!
Like Cornelius.
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God. (Acts 10:1-2 ESV)

Reactions: amadeus and marks