• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you need a better set of churches, a more committed set of friends?

Or how is it you say, Most people? Have you actually MET most people? Gotten to know them a little?

Much love!

Hello marks,

I appreciate all the feedback I received, both from you and all the others. It got me thinking for other ways to clarify my point. I am driven purely by love for God, and not "look at how much I know". I'm not saying you are that way, but I think many on these forums are that way, and always angry and trying to find the smallest negatives or slightly wrong wording and nit-pick at it, and miss the big picture.

After years are studying the Bible and praying about it, I recently was guided by God to see this, that the Bread in the Lord's prayer is His body, for the forgiveness of sins. Then felt I should let the world know about it. I did not mean to offend anyone. But bring this crusial truth to people because it makes a big difference in the way we pray and commune with God. And yet, a lot of what I got so far was fluff, and refusing to say let's put our heads together and see if this is indeed from God.

So I added more to explain my point. Here it is, complete with Biblical references, not just me saying:

Christianity & Judaism - A Parallel:

God's personality and ways of dealing with His people have been very consistent throughout history from the Jewish days to the Christian days.

Initial state:
Jewish:
Several verses in Exodus and Deuteronomy clearly state that the Jews were God's chosen people. Example,
Exodus 19:5
Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine.

Christians: As a parallel, Jesus purchased those who believed in Him with His blood. And they became His.
Galatians 3:13
Christ bought us with His blood and made us free from the Law.

Comparing the two covenants:
Jewish:
When the Jewish people sinned, God's instructions in Leviticus were to present sacrifices to the Lord to atone for their sins. In other words, although sin separated them from God, in this case the Jewish people that sinned did not stop being God's chosen people. They remained God's chosen people as long as the daily sacrifices were presented as instructed (Exodus 19:5).

Christians: When the Christian believers sin, Jesus provided the perfect prayer for the forgiveness of their sins (Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke11:2-4). As long as this prayer is recited daily as instructed by Jesus, a Christian remains in Jesus, and Jesus remains in him. And those Christians remain belonging to Jesus (saved):

John 15:4
Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
Note: But if a person keeps on sinning for a long time without praying the Lord's Prayer and without growing spiritually, eventually God gives up on him. This person would be one of these cases:

Matthew 13:22:
The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.

John 15:6:
Jesus said in the Vine and branches parable: If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Luke 13:6-9:
Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, `For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?' "`Sir,' the man replied, `leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.
Note: What is "fruit"? It is spiritual maturity. God is patient with us. He won't strike us down if we skip a few times praying the Lord's Prayer, or if we don't read our Bible for spiritual maturity, as in the fig tree parable, "Fertilize and wait another year..."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christian Believer
You are so very correct sir, almost everyone prays it, yet few even know what they are asking for.

This reminds me of my own experience as a devout young Catholic boy, which probably I posted on this forum before, but it applies here...: When I would confess my sins to the priest, he would then ask me upon leaving the confessional but before leaving the building to do a penance which often consisted of saying the prayer, "Our Father" [Matt 6:9-13] a certain number of times. Anxious to get on with my day and my own activities [having fun of course] I became very proficient in reciting that 'prayer' super-fast so as to fulfill the letter of what the priest had required of me without "wasting" time.

Thus, whether the penance was three times or 10 times, I was soon out of there and ready to do my own things as God was for the moment handled.

One of those times after confession when I went out to do my penance, God smote my heart about what I had done so many times in the past and was about to do one more time. At the time I did not own and had never read the Bible, but I see now that these words applied to what I have been doing:

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me." Matt 15:8

Even though I did not know that verse God spoke its meaning to me. From that day forward for as long as I was a formal believing practicing Catholic, no more idle words came out of my mouth when doing penance. I prayed each 'Our Father' carefully thinking about the meaning of those words and just who I was talking to... They had been idle, but they were no longer idle!

I have not been a practicing Catholic for more than 50 years, but that and several other things I learned from God as a Catholic are still in my heart.

Give God the glory!

By the way, quite few years ago I began saying the "Our Father' every morning in my time alone with God. That continues to this day. I say or pray a lot of other things, but my lesson as a young Catholic remains. No idle words!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where exactly did Jesus tell you to daily repeat these words to daily receive forgiveness? I'm not seeing that.

Jesus taught those under the Law to pray in a manner that reflects their lives under the Law.

To the one born from God in the New Covenant, God teaches us to forgive others as we have been forgiven by God, not to forgive others so that we can receive forgiveness from God.

Much love!
Perhaps you have not heard from God the need to talk or pray to Him a certain way, but we are not all in exactly the same place on the highway of holiness, are we? Our testimonies do differ. Not everyone has heard God speaking to us in the same way that the prophet, Elijah, did.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as this prayer is recited daily as instructed by Jesus, a Christian remains in Jesus, and Jesus remains in him. And those Christians remain belonging to Jesus (saved):
Then to you I'm am not "saved". Because I don't perform the "act of obedience" you claim is necessary.

I hope this isn't seen as "nitpicking" or mean or some such thing, only pointing out the impact of your teaching. This is what you are expressing. Is that what you mean?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you have not heard from God the need to talk or pray to Him a certain way, but we are not all in exactly the same place on the highway of holiness, are we? Our testimonies do differ. Not everyone has heard God speaking to us in the same way that the prophet, Elijah, did.
I believe the claim being made is that this is how one "stays saved", by a daily recitation of this prayer.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the claim being made is that this is how one "stays saved", by a daily recitation of this prayer.

Much love!
Agreed Marks, a "works" salvation. Totally. Although, I too have started to say the Lords Prayer as a new local body I have started going to recites this every Sunday and I do like the prayer as, it's been with me since childhood. I do NOT see that Jesus commands us to pray this particular prayer everyday or...to Hell you go! He DOES say to ask for our daily bread and for forgiveness but, that should be the default of ALL Christians, all the time... Guess there WILL be a lot of us there in that case...

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed Marks, a "works" salvation. Totally. Although, I too have started to say the Lords Prayer as a new local body I have started going to recites this every Sunday and I do like the prayer as, it's been with me since childhood. I DO see that Jesus commands us to pray this particular prayer everyday or...to Hell you go! Guess there WILL be a lot of us there in that case...

marks, Nancy,

So reading the Bible and reciting the Lord's prayer is "works"???

So yes, I do come from years of doing my own Bible studying on my own, without any Denominational influence. So I am outside the prevailing herd-mentality out there. And yes God talks to all of us, you don't have to a prophet. This new truth revealed to me by God, is a key point that, yes, was missed by many for hundreds of years. If there is another one like me, doing independent Bible studying, I think we'd be able to see eye-to-eye. But with the rest, it has been drilled into them by many churches for all these years. That the Bread is the actual bread we eat, not the body of Jesus. Even if we let this aside for a moment. What about the next statement in Jesus' prayer saying "forgive us our sins" in the context of "this day"? Why would He want us to ask for forgiveness of sins every day? You want to complain about that? complain to Jesus, not to me.

Please consider these explanations as well, all with Biblical references. I keep reminding of the Biblical references and I keep getting replies from Nancy, for example, calling it "works". But the Bible said so, not me. Open your hearts, and give this due diligence (read it carefully not just scan it quickly) before replying with another "you must be crazy" reply:

Born-Again / Saved?

If you're not maturing spiritually, you may no longer be born-again. The Bible said that, not me.

Here's the order of our spiritual transformation (Biblical references below):
1. Birth of the flesh, first birth.
2. Birth of the spirit, born-again / saved.
3. Spiritual maturity.

Many people lack the 3rd item, spiritual maturity. Simply because, most churches don't preach it. But it's our eternal destination we're talking about; there will not be a 2nd chance if we miss it here! So please pay close attention to the points below.

There are many references in the Bible about our need to mature spiritually in order to remain "saved". Many churches will tell you, you "cannot possibly become unsaved - once saved, always saved". The truth is, the Bible says otherwise. It says you can become unsaved:

John 15:1-7:
“1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
Notes: After becoming a branch on the Vine (becoming born-again), if no spiritual maturity over time, you may wither and die (spiritually). To remain "saved" we have to remain in Jesus, and Him in us (by reciting the Lord's Prayer daily and meaning it correctly).

6 Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’
8 “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”
Notes: God is patient, and waits a long time before giving up on you. But He would give up on you eventually if no spiritual maturity. But careful, Jesus warns us in other parables about "how long God waits for you", example in Matthew 25:1-13.

Matthew 25:14-30:
14 “For it is just like a man about to go on a journey. He called his own servants and entrusted his possessions to them. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one talent, depending on each one’s ability. Then he went on a journey. Immediately 16 the man who had received five talents went, put them to work, and earned five more. 17 In the same way the man with two earned two more. 18 But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground, and hid his master’s money.
19 “After a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five talents approached, presented five more talents, and said, ‘Master, you gave me five talents. See, I’ve earned five more talents.’
21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master’s joy.’
22 “The man with two talents also approached. He said, ‘Master, you gave me two talents. See, I’ve earned two more talents.’
23 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master’s joy.’
24 “The man who had received one talent also approached and said, ‘Master, I know you. You’re a harsh man, reaping where you haven’t sown and gathering where you haven’t scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’
26 “His master replied to him, ‘You evil, lazy servant! If you knew that I reap where I haven’t sown and gather where I haven’t scattered, 27 then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and I would have received my money back with interest when I returned.
28 “‘So take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have more than enough. But from the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 30 And throw this good-for-nothing servant into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Notes:
"Talent" here is knowledge of God. We are called to multiply the "talents" that God gives us - meaning increase our knowledge of God. The servant who did not multiply his talent in the parable, was called "evil & lazy", and was cast out - "became unsaved".

Both "fruits" and "talents" in these 3 references mean the same: "spiritual maturity".
Obviously Jesus is eluding to something very important we need to do here to maintain our "saved" status. Definitely not "works" but obedience to grow spiritually. Although He does clarify that God is very patient with us and does not quickly give up on us. But the fact remains, we have a duty to produce fruit / multiply talents. How do we do that? How do we mature spiritually?

- Read the Bible always. God is in these Scriptures. This is how we "seek Him" and get to know Him. The more we read, the more He reveals Himself to us. And this new knowledge we gain, is the fruit production.

- Pray the Lord's Prayer daily, and mean it correctly - the daily Bread is the Bread of life / the body of Jesus. So that we're always in perfect fellowship with God. This fulfils Jesus' desire for us to remain in Him, and Him in us. And thus equates to healthy branches.

In todays 1st-world-countries, most people are living in luxury with plenty of resources and spare time available to them to multiply their "talents". There is no excuse, except laziness. Relying on the church for our spiritual needs is not it in today's churches. In most churches today, human-nature have taken over, and they veered off the path of the original Christian church created by the disciples of Jesus when they were truly filled by the Holy Spirit.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You a saying, if I'm understanding you, that we are instructed to pray the "Lord's Prayer" daily, and that by dailying praying this prayer, this is how we stay "in Christ", that is, (saved). Do I misunderstand you?

Having been justified by faith in Jesus Christ, we have peace with God. And through the same faith, we have access into the grace in which we stand.

This doesn't really leave space for a "daily act of obedience" to "keep us saved". We are not saved by our own obedient act, but through Christ's.

Romans 5:18 EMTV
Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

I believe we should do all things which in our hearts we believe God is leading us to. I think we need to test our ideas against the Bible to see if they might be misguided. I don't discourage you from speaking to God in any manner you wish, except that you be sincere, from your heart.

I affirm that our salvation is not because we've been obedient, but because Jesus was obedient, to death.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people lack the 3rd item, spiritual maturity. Simply because, most churches don't preach it.

Galatians 3:1-6 KJV
1) O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3) Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4) Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5) He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
6) Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So that we're always in perfect fellowship with God.

Romans 4:3-10 KJV
3) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4) Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6) Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7) Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8) Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9) Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10) How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying this prayer daily, forgives us our sins for that day.

Ooooo... not good.

Greetings Christian Believer, and welcome to the forum. I read your OP, and without reading everyone else's responses it makes too many jumps in logic.

1. "This, then, is how you should pray" should not be taken as "Pray exactly this." The Greek word simply means, "Pray after this manner," as if He were giving an example.

2. To simply pray for one's earthly sustenance is not the same thing as "worrying over it." It is simply casting your cares upon the Lord and moving on to other things, trusting that it will be taken care of. We are about to enter a time when one's daily material needs will come into greater question for many. Telling them to never pray about it is a bit spiritually irresponsible.

3. And here is the big one: Saying that one's sins will not be forgiven unless he says a certain prayer every day is subjecting people under LAW like nothing I've seen in quite awhile, and a dangerous teaching, IMO. The very reason Jesus taught this passage was to clarify that prayer should NOT be vain repetition. By positioning it as necessary unto salvation, you turn it into the most vain repetition of all, worse even that what He was telling the scribes and Pharisees not to do.

Not much else to say, atm. While I welcome you to the forum, I can't say as I welcome a teaching right off the bat that puts men under bondage to a law. One could say the Lord's Prayer until he became blue in the face and passed out, but it would do nothing for his salvation if not accompanied by genuine works. And by contrast, one could NEVER say the Lord's Prayer and it would make no difference in the matter whatsoever if He walked in genuine works. As James said, "What good is it if a man says he has faith but has no works?" By the same token, what good is it if a man says the Lord's Prayer every day and yet lives like a sinner the rest of the time?

Reactions: marks
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks,
Thank you for answering with Bible references. And so both you Bible references are good, and mine are good. Which means we need to keep studying and praying.
For example, this what I think this is from Galatians 3:1-3:
3) Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
This was Paul talking to them after he had heard of practices advised by the Jews to the Galatian church, that they needed to be circumcised to be saved... What I'm saying to do in obedience are 100% spiritual, nothing "flesh" about it: read the Bible to mature spiritually, and recite the Lord's Prayer as Jesus instructed, not me.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Much love!
For me, it is about maintaining a relationship with my best friend. Otherwise, and it is the same with people, we can drift apart, even families.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooooo... not good.

Greetings Christian Believer, and welcome to the forum. I read your OP, and without reading everyone else's responses it makes too many jumps in logic.

1. "This, then, is how you should pray" should not be taken as "Pray exactly this." The Greek word simply means, "Pray after this manner," as if He were giving an example.

2. To simply pray for one's earthly sustenance is not the same thing as "worrying over it." It is simply casting your cares upon the Lord and moving on to other things, trusting that it will be taken care of. We are about to enter a time when one's daily material needs will come into greater question for many. Telling them to never pray about it is a bit spiritually irresponsible.

3. And here is the big one: Saying that one's sins will not be forgiven unless he says a certain prayer every day is subjecting people under LAW like nothing I've seen in quite awhile, and a dangerous teaching, IMO. The very reason Jesus taught this passage was to clarify that prayer should NOT be vain repetition. By positioning it as necessary unto salvation, you turn it into the most vain repetition of all, worse even that what He was telling the scribes and Pharisees not to do.

Not much else to say, atm. While I welcome you to the forum, I can't say as I welcome a teaching right off the bat that puts men under bondage to a law. One could say the Lord's Prayer until he became blue in the face and passed out, but it would do nothing for his salvation if not accompanied by genuine works. And by contrast, one could NEVER say the Lord's Prayer and it would make no difference in the matter whatsoever if He walked in genuine works. As James said, "What good is it if a man says he has faith but has no works?" By the same token, what good is it if a man says the Lord's Prayer every day and yet lives like a sinner the rest of the time?

Hello Hidden In Him,
Please look at my other replies here today, clarifying my position on the points you bring up. Specifically my reply talking about "Christianity & Judaism - A Parallel"

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks, Nancy,

So yes, I do come from years of doing my own Bible studying on my own, without any Denominational influence. So I am outside the prevailing herd-mentality out there. And yes God talks to all of us, you don't have to a prophet. This new truth revealed to me by God, is a key point that, yes, was missed by many for hundreds of years. If there is another one like me, doing independent Bible studying, I think we'd be able to see eye-to-eye. But with the rest, it has been drilled into them by many churches for all these years. That the Bread is the actual bread we eat, not the body of Jesus. Even if we let this aside for a moment. What about the next statement in Jesus' prayer saying "forgive us our sins" in the context of "this day"? Why would He want us to ask for forgiveness of sins every day? You want to complain about that? complain to Jesus, not to me.

Please consider these explanations as well, all with Biblical references. I keep reminding of the Biblical references and I keep getting replies from Nancy, for example, calling it "works". But the Bible said so, not me. Open your hearts, and give this due diligence (read it carefully not just scan it quickly) before replying with another "you must be crazy" reply:

Born-Again / Saved?

If you're not maturing spiritually, you may no longer be born-again. The Bible said that, not me.

Here's the order of our spiritual transformation (Biblical references below):
1. Birth of the flesh, first birth.
2. Birth of the spirit, born-again / saved.
3. Spiritual maturity.

Many people lack the 3rd item, spiritual maturity. Simply because, most churches don't preach it. But it's our eternal destination we're talking about; there will not be a 2nd chance if we miss it here! So please pay close attention to the points below.

There are many references in the Bible about our need to mature spiritually in order to remain "saved". Many churches will tell you, you "cannot possibly become unsaved - once saved, always saved". The truth is, the Bible says otherwise. It says you can become unsaved:

John 15:1-7:
“1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
Notes: After becoming a branch on the Vine (becoming born-again), if no spiritual maturity over time, you may wither and die (spiritually). To remain "saved" we have to remain in Jesus, and Him in us (by reciting the Lord's Prayer daily and meaning it correctly).

6 Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’
8 “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”
Notes: God is patient, and waits a long time before giving up on you. But He would give up on you eventually if no spiritual maturity. But careful, Jesus warns us in other parables about "how long God waits for you", example in Matthew 25:1-13.

Matthew 25:14-30:
14 “For it is just like a man about to go on a journey. He called his own servants and entrusted his possessions to them. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one talent, depending on each one’s ability. Then he went on a journey. Immediately 16 the man who had received five talents went, put them to work, and earned five more. 17 In the same way the man with two earned two more. 18 But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground, and hid his master’s money.
19 “After a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five talents approached, presented five more talents, and said, ‘Master, you gave me five talents. See, I’ve earned five more talents.’
21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master’s joy.’
22 “The man with two talents also approached. He said, ‘Master, you gave me two talents. See, I’ve earned two more talents.’
23 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master’s joy.’
24 “The man who had received one talent also approached and said, ‘Master, I know you. You’re a harsh man, reaping where you haven’t sown and gathering where you haven’t scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’
26 “His master replied to him, ‘You evil, lazy servant! If you knew that I reap where I haven’t sown and gather where I haven’t scattered, 27 then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and I would have received my money back with interest when I returned.
28 “‘So take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have more than enough. But from the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 30 And throw this good-for-nothing servant into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Notes:
"Talent" here is knowledge of God. We are called to multiply the "talents" that God gives us - meaning increase our knowledge of God. The servant who did not multiply his talent in the parable, was called "evil & lazy", and was cast out - "became unsaved".

Both "fruits" and "talents" in these 3 references mean the same: "spiritual maturity".
Obviously Jesus is eluding to something very important we need to do here to maintain our "saved" status. Definitely not "works" but obedience to grow spiritually. Although He does clarify that God is very patient with us and does not quickly give up on us. But the fact remains, we have a duty to produce fruit / multiply talents. How do we do that? How do we mature spiritually?

- Read the Bible always. God is in these Scriptures. This is how we "seek Him" and get to know Him. The more we read, the more He reveals Himself to us. And this new knowledge we gain, is the fruit production.

- Pray the Lord's Prayer daily, and mean it correctly - the daily Bread is the Bread of life / the body of Jesus. So that we're always in perfect fellowship with God. This fulfils Jesus' desire for us to remain in Him, and Him in us. And thus equates to healthy branches.

In todays 1st-world-countries, most people are living in luxury with plenty of resources and spare time available to them to multiply their "talents". There is no excuse, except laziness. Relying on the church for our spiritual needs is not it in today's churches. In most churches today, human-nature have taken over, and they veered off the path of the original Christian church created by the disciples of Jesus when they were truly filled by the Holy Spirit.

I've no problem with The Lord's prayer OR scripture. just that you are shelling out salvation in increments BY DOING something on our own...HAVING to say this prayer each day specifically to KEEP saved is not something I think most of us would ever buy into...it truly IS a "works salvation".

Reactions: Jim B

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Hidden In Him,
Please look at my other replies here today, clarifying my position on the points you bring up. Specifically my reply talking about "Christianity & Judaism - A Parallel"

Think you could direct me to a specific post? I skimmed all three pages, but have not found it yet.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, it is about maintaining a relationship with my best friend. Otherwise, and it is the same with people, we can drift apart, even families.

I guess that's ok for you @Cooper. But for me, I like to use the perfect words advised by Jesus Himself, using those exact words. Why change them? Can we do better? That's kind of errogant, no? Why are some people against saying the Prayer advised by Jesus? I keep hearing from some people trying hard to find other language translations etc. to say Jesus did not want to use those words, or pray it daily. I feel like crying sometimes. People keep claiming their loyalty to Jesus, and then trun-around and try hard to find ways to reject His prayer!
I can think of one possibility why: Catholic churches recite the Jesus prayer in their sermons. And therefore Protestants are against it, because Protestants are against everything the Catholic church stands for. So where is God in this picture?