• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a cost to evangelism. Some one has to pay the bills.
So let God do it. Christians don't beg for money. I used to watch Jim Bakker beg and even CRY for money. I knew that's not God!

Psalm 37
25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So let God do it.

God does do it, through those who belong to him.

Christians don't beg for money. I used to watch Jim Bakker beg and even CRY for money. I knew that's not God!

Psalm 37
25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.

It would be a mistake to judge Christianity based on the actions of charlatans.

Reactions: Cassandra

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians have explained to me that it is their duty to undertake the so-called "great commission" where they are compelled to spread the gospel message of salvation. They claim the Bible teaches that people are saved by faith in Jesus and not by doing good works. The implication being that people must be made aware of how Jesus sacrificed himself as payment for their sins and accept Christ in their hearts before God will permit them to enjoy an eternal afterlife in heaven. According to these Christians, they are warned that people who reject Jesus and his gift of salvation will not be permitted to enter the kingdom of God. How this criteria for salvation applies to people who lived-out their entire lives without ever having been exposed to Christianity is not entirely clear.

Many of us take for granted that almost everyone in the world today will have an opportunity to learn about Christianity either through indoctrination, cultural upbringing, public proselytizing, or the internet. Obviously, this has not always been the case. During the 1st century and for hundreds of years afterwords, the majority of people across the world would have known little to nothing about Jesus or Christianity. In fact, most cultures were completely oblivious to the gospel message. Of course, prior to the ministry of Jesus, absolutely no one believed in Christianity because it didn't yet exist. Where did all those people go when they died? Did God deny those people entrance into his kingdom for having never accepted Jesus in their hearts despite them having no knowledge that such a requirement existed? Are they being eternally punished in hell for worshiping false gods even though they never received spiritual guidance to the contrary by Christian missionaries or God himself?

Some Christian apologists suggest that God is merciful and does not fault those people for having never been provided the gospel. As such, many Christians believe that people who had no knowledge of Jesus or Christianity but lived a moral and righteous existence were judged fairly by God and were permitted into heaven after they died. We must infer from such theological reasoning that it would have been a disservice to educate them about Jesus because doing so would have increased their risk of being denied entrance into God's kingdom. This is because, had they received the gospel but were not convinced that the resurrection claim was true, God would have judged them negatively for their lack of faith even though they would have otherwise been judged favorably if no one had ever witnessed Christianity to them.

So, the compulsion to witness for Jesus presents a moral dilemma for these Christians. Logic dictates that preaching the gospel may actually be doing more harm than good for moral and righteous people by instituting a less reasonable criterion for salvation. Once a moral and righteous person becomes aware of Christianity, God can no longer judge that individual based on the person's character but must judge the person based on the individual's ability to have faith in an extraordinary claim about Jesus instead. How do Christians propose to resolve this moral dilemma?

Good question!

Unfortunately, most Christians don't give the matter as much thought as you apparently have. Truth is, they too exist within their own version of blindness as those who without the knowledge of Jesus Christ, would say "there is no God." They, having heard, actually have no advantage. On the other hand, those without the knowledge of Jesus Christ, are not without their own exposure to the fact that there is a God. In other words, God is indeed fair, and thus everyone has their own "Hmmm...just maybe there could be a God" moment.

But don't misunderstand. Many, if not most, who would seem privileged to have heard of Jesus Christ, are nonetheless skeptical...or for that matter, gullible. Yes, gullible. That is, the Christ-aware are gullible to believe what they are exposed to regarding Jesus and God, while those unaware are just as gullible to believe what they are exposed to regarding a world wherein there is no God. Seriously, people bought bellbottoms and rap music for the same reason! That is our nature.

So, yes, God is fair and present to all.

Either way, there are indeed plenty of botched attempts at evangelism...but no moral dilemma. The putting of feet to one's own belief is not about those to whom they are sent, but rather about those who are themselves sent. Thus, a tree is known by its fruit.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will repost something I previously wrote on the subject:

And what of those throughout history who have never heard the gospel? Are they all going to Hell? First, I believe we can conclude from the Scriptures that there is an age of accountability. Babies, for instance, are not going to Hell if they die. They have died in a state of innocence and are covered by God’s grace. We can only be held responsible for our actions once we fully understand right from wrong, good from evil. That age may differ from one person to the next. A person who is mentally retarded and can’t comprehend right from wrong may never reach accountability. They, too, are covered by grace.

For the rest of us, the age of accountability will come. But how can someone be judged if they’ve never heard the gospel? Romans 1:20 states: For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. There is an innate sense of right and wrong that God has etched into our hearts. Those who have never heard the gospel are still accountable for their actions. However, there may be grace and leniency involved. I believe that those who have heard the gospel will be held to a higher standard than those who haven’t.

So, the compulsion to witness for Jesus presents a moral dilemma for these Christians. Logic dictates that preaching the gospel may actually be doing more harm than good for moral and righteous people by instituting a less reasonable criterion for salvation. Once a moral and righteous person becomes aware of Christianity, God can no longer judge that individual based on the person's character but must judge the person based on the individual's ability to have faith in an extraordinary claim about Jesus instead. How do Christians propose to resolve this moral dilemma?

This is the ignorance-is-bliss argument. It presumes everyone who hears the gospel is somehow burdened by the truth, but only someone who has heard the gospel and rejected it would feel burdened. I don't propose to resolve it because truth is not a moral dilemma. The truth will set you free. Ignorance will only get you so far. I would hate to bank my salvation on the possibility that God "may" offer grace. There's only one sure way to salvation and ignorance isn't it.

Reactions: lforrest