The New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You gave it earlier,

Jeremiah 31:32 KJV
[32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord :
Tecarta Bible
Hello @Waiting on him,

In Jeremiah 31:32, the word translated 'husband' has the meaning of either 'Lord or Master' or 'to disdain or reject', that it is the second is proved by it's usage in the New Testament, in Hebrews 8:9, where the verse is quoted, and translated 'I regarded them not'.

'For finding fault with them, He saith,
" Behold, the days come, saith the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers
in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
because they continued not in My Covenant,

and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.'
(Hebrews 8:9)

* The Holy Spirit has interpreted quite differently, but it is His Word.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
(Hebrews 8:8-9)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
<God made>, and the <Bible contains> NO <<Old Covenant, which was made by God with Israel at Sinai>>.You, in your own head, yes.
Hello @GerhardEbersoehn,

I was not quoting a verse of Scripture, but stating what is a Biblical fact, that the covenant with Israel, was made by God with Israel.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @FollowHim

I am glad you liked the verse I quoted in response to your reference to the 'corner stone', from Psalm 118:22 and Matthew 21:42-44 in (reply#103). I also share your joy in the relationship we have with the Lord Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that we have been born from above. Though we, sadly, do not share the same understanding as to what the New Covenant comprises, and to whom it will be given.

With love to you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I wonder what you mean by the same understanding of the New Covenant as in you imply you have a different belief to mine.
Are we not brother and sister in Christ, washed, cleansed by the blood of Christ, to be able to follow our Lord?
It is easy to assume much on these forums without knowing agreement or otherwise, often getting confused by the way faith is expressed.
One brother thought I was in opposition to him, when actually it was theological language than actual spiritual differences.
God bless you.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greek: κάλυμα
Transliteration: kaluma
Pronunciation: kal'-oo-mah
Definition: From G2572; a cover that is veil:- vail.
KJV Usage: vail (4x).
Occurs: 4
In verses: 4

Same thing.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the vail referred to in relation to Israel's blindness

Consider limiting and zoning in so much forgets the whole. Israel is not the only blindness but all the creation is in the bondage of corruption, in travail. that the vail covering ALL nations (that body of sins done away with in Christ) be removed as the passage says the whole creation groans for the manifestation of the children of God and “Liberty” into deliverance of sin. Within Israel God shows two seeds: that which is born after the promise (Isaac) and that which is born after the flesh. That born after the flesh wars against that which is born after the Spirit. Every promise given to that which is born after the promise is fulfilled in Christ. Not zoning in on you but only giving an example. What promises does God owe that old man crucified with Christ? What promise does God owe that (corrupted)seed in the OT not after the promise but instead wars against His promise of Liberty. Which He said is “cut off”. (Where the Spirit is there is Liberty.) His offer is Life. Can not get any more fulfillment than “Life”. Paul said he counted it all dung that he might win Christ. The same one who said am I not one of you...am I not a Israelite? Do you have Life, health, wealth (prosperity), peace, reconciliation...has God casts out the unclean spirit, opened the eyes of the blind (removal of the vail done away with in Christ) opened (unstopped)the ears of the deaf in “if any have ears to hear what the Spirit saith, let him hear”...does the lame leap and rejoice! ...do you hold God to a promise to give you worldly wealth, no illness ever in that outward man which is passes away, peace in the world when He said “My peace I give, not as the world gives”. Why keep saying God owes something to go back and fulfill when He said “Behold, I make all things New.” Enter in. Follow after the Spirit and not after the flesh. Rejoice! Again, the promises are not the problem it is the vail of blindness in not seeing all the promises in HIM is, yes.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what you mean by the same understanding of the New Covenant as if you imply you have a different belief to mine.
Are we not brother and sister in Christ, washed, cleansed by the blood of Christ, to be able to follow our Lord?
It is easy to assume much on these forums without knowing agreement or otherwise, often getting confused by the way faith is expressed.
One brother thought I was in opposition to him, when actually it was theological language than actual spiritual differences.
God Bless you
Hello there, @FolowHim,

Forgive me if I have offended you. I thought that if you had seen the OP, you would have seen that I do not believe that the church which is His (Christ's) body is under the New Covenant. For the New Covenant is at present in abeyance until Israel repents and is no longer in a Loammi state, but are once again called by God, 'My People'. For the New Covenant will be made with them, as the Old Covenant had, at Sinai.

Yes, we are indeed sisters in Christ, and I appreciate you saying so. We are blessedly washed, and cleansed by the blood of Christ, as you have said. It is easy to make assumptions in a forum situation, I agree, But we are one in Him.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
the Bible contains several covenants which are 'everlasting' covenants. The New Covenant replaces the Old Covenant,

<<covenants which are 'everlasting' covenants>>... so the <Old Covenant> must be the only covenant the Bible contains which is NOT 'everlasting'. Well, that's what I've been saying all along!

It still does not mean <<The New Covenant replaces the Old>>. How can it, if the <Old> got <replaced>; and how can the <New> not be everlasting yet precede the <old> in order to <replace> it?

Which means ONLY THE NEW Covenant is Eternal and is therefore the ONLY ETERNAL, eternally New Covenant.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Consider limiting and zoning in so much forgets the whole. Israel is not the only blindness but all the creation is in the bondage of corruption, in travail. that the vail covering ALL nations (that body of sins done away with in Christ) be removed as the passage says the whole creation groans for the manifestation of the children of God and “Liberty” into deliverance of sin. Within Israel God shows two seeds: that which is born after the promise (Isaac) and that which is born after the flesh. That born after the flesh wars against that which is born after the Spirit. Every promise given to that which is born after the promise is fulfilled in Christ. Not zoning in on you but only giving an example. What promises does God owe that old man crucified with Christ? What promise does God owe that seed in the OT not of the promise which wars against His promise of Liberty. (Where the Spirit is there is Liberty.) His offer is Life. Paul said he counted it all dung that he might win Christ. The same one who said am I not one of you? Do you have Life, health, wealth (prosperity), peace, reconciliation...has God casts out the unclean spirit, opened the eyes of the blind (removal of the vail done away with in Christ) opened (unstopped)the ears of the deaf in “if any have ears to hear what the Spirit saith, let him hear”...does the lame leap! ...do you hold God to a promise to give you worldly wealth, no illness ever in that outward man which is passes away, peace in the world when He said “My peace I give, not as the world gives”. Why keep saying God owes something to go back and fulfill when He said “Behold, I make all things New.” Enter in. Follow after the Spirit and not after the flesh. Rejoice! Again, the promises are not the problem it is the vail of blindness in not seeing all the promises in His is, yes
Hello @VictoryinJesus,

I agree that sometimes by 'zoning in', as you say, it is possible to neglect the bigger picture. However, I do not think in considering the New Covenant in this way that I have done so.

* The words, 'Behold, I make all things new' has an application that is still future, as it is recorded in Revelation 21:5.

* The Lord indeed, 'opened the eyes of the blind' at His first advent, but only the eyes of those who approached Him for the healing He had to offer by faith. Even today so many will not come to Him that they may have life.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @VictoryinJesus,

I agree that sometimes by 'zoning in', as you say, it is possible to neglect the bigger picture. However, I do not think in considering the New Covenant in this way that I have done so. The words, 'Behold, I make all things new' has an application that is still future, as it is recorded in Revelation 21:5.

The Lord indeed, 'opened the eyes of the blind' at His first advent, but only the eyes of those who approached Him for the healing He had to offer by faith. Even today so many will not come to Him that they may have life.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

How many times is He going to make the new things new?

Tecarta Bible

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Greek: κάλυμα
Transliteration: kaluma
Pronunciation: kal'-oo-mah
Definition: From G2572; a cover that is veil:- vail.
KJV Usage: vail (4x).
Occurs: 4
In verses: 4

Same thing.
Hi @Waiting on him,

It was not the difference between the words 'vei'l and' vail' that was at issue, but your reference to the 'vail' as a marriage veil which it is not.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour.
Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord indeed, 'opened the eyes of the blind' at His first advent, but only the eyes of those who approached Him for the healing He had to offer by faith. Even today so many will not come to Him that they may have life.

because the vail remains. Not saying “spit on them” because they can not come to Him until the vail is removed that they may have life. Encouraged because He has promised He is going to remove it. That there is nothing covered or hidden that will not be made seen.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Doesn’t have illegitimate children.

1 Corinthians 4:15 KJV
[15] For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Is Paul speaking to Israel here?

Tecarta Bible
Greek: γεννάω
Transliteration: gennaō
Pronunciation: ghen-nah'-o
Definition: From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate: - bear beget be born bring forth conceive be delivered of gender make spring.
KJV Usage: begat (49x), be born (39x), bear (2x), gender (2x), bring forth (1x), be delivered (1x), misc (3x).
Occurs: 105
In verses: 65

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words, 'Behold, I make all things new' has an application that is still future, as it is recorded in Revelation 21:5.

Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Yet what prevents is claiming there is no perfect until the flesh is made and seen as perfect. Yea, look around we are all vanishing, that outward man perishes (crucified) but that which remains (raised in Newness of Life)is “renewed” strengthened daily that you may be found perfect IN HIM no lacking anything. the focus is the creation waits for the perfection of the flesh rather than the perfecting of His body: Ephesians 4:12-13 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: [13] Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Yep, Right in some future event when the flesh is Seen as glorified o_O:confused:.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Yet what prevents is claiming there is no perfect until the flesh is made and seen as perfect. Yea, look around we are all vanishing, that outward man perishes (crucified) but that which remains (raised in Newness of Life)is “renewed” strengthened daily that you may be found perfect IN HIM no lacking anything. the focus is the creation waits for the perfection of the flesh rather than the perfecting of His body: Ephesians 4:12-13 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: [13] Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Yep, Right in some future event when the flesh is Seen as glorified o_O:confused:.
It’s carrying the seed of Christ (gospel) in us as a father this is a product of spiritual maturity as stated above. The result being children.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
the Old Covenant, which was made by God with Israel at Sinai, to deny this is to contend with the very Scriptures themselves, and rob it's wording in relation to this subject of any meaning whatsoever.

Again, first provide <<the very Scriptures themselves, and it's wording>> to the effect <<God made the old covenant with Israel at Sinai>> before you accuse me of being guilty WHILE IT IS YOU who contend with the very Scriptures themselves, and rob it's wording of any meaning.

<<...in relation to this...>> This what? The 'old covenant' or the New one you suppose for the same? Again, be informed, It was with the Israelites' 'old covenant', that they <replaced> God's, Everlastingly New, New Covenant.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 4:15 KJV
[15] For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Is Paul speaking to Israel here?

Tecarta Bible
Greek: γεννάω
Transliteration: gennaō
Pronunciation: ghen-nah'-o
Definition: From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate: - bear beget be born bring forth conceive be delivered of gender make spring.
KJV Usage: begat (49x), be born (39x), bear (2x), gender (2x), bring forth (1x), be delivered (1x), misc (3x).
Occurs: 105
In verses: 65

Luke 8:14-15 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. [15] But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

John 15:2-5 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. [3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. [5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 8:14-15 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. [15] But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

John 15:2-5 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. [3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. [5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Amazingly everyone thinks this is referring to their “ good works”..
This is referring to children.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
<<covenants which are 'everlasting' covenants>>... so the <Old Covenant> must be the only covenant the Bible contains which is NOT 'everlasting'. Well, that's what I've been saying all along!

It still does not mean <<The New Covenant replaces the Old>>. How can it, if the <Old> got <replaced>; and how can the <New> not be everlasting yet precede the <old> in order to <replace> it?

Which means ONLY THE NEW Covenant is Eternal and is therefore the ONLY ETERNAL, eternally New Covenant.
Hello @GerhardEbersoehn,

I think you should take this up with the author of the Scripture, for the Holy Spirit tells us that the Old Covenant made at Sinai, will be replaced by a New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31; Hebrews 8:8; Hebrews 8:13; Hebrews 12:24).

The Old Covenant made at Sinai was a conditional covenant, unlike that made with Abraham which was unconditional: but the covenant made with Abraham is spoken of as 'an everlasting covenant' whereas I cannot find it said concerning the Old Covenant, that it was 'everlasting'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God Doesn’t have illegitimate children.
Hello @Waiting on him,

No, indeed. See Ephesians 1:5:-

'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself,
according to the good pleasure of H will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace,
wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.'

(Ephesians 1:3-6)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris