The Outer Man, the Inner Man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 KJV
16) For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Romans 7:22-25 KJV
22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23) But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24) O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:6-10 KJV
6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 4:5-7 KJV
5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Colossians 1:25-29 KJV
25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27) To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
29) Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Much love!

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16) For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

23) But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
9) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27) To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
29) Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Much love!

Oh to taste of these truths in an ever increasing degree, oh, the freedom to taste…

Be blessed in the tasting, in the serving, in the worshiping Him who died so we might experience these truths…

Hi marks! and be blessed in the experiencing, a fellow believer, Not me

Reactions: marks

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

This is only an opinion because we all see it differently. To me the outward and the inward is clarified in without is murder, thievery, boasting, envy, greed, lust, backbiting, all maliciousness. Good news I think is that these things perish and pass away. The inward man in Christ gives a totally different list of works: patience, long-suffering, peace, joy, faith in righteousness and truth… I did see the thread @Episkopos started which touched on this topic. I also don’t think the outward man is wrinkles, hair graying and statue crumbling reflected in the mirror. but (to me) this reflection does present some truth, on how futile it is to think we can outrun what perishes and passes away. Consider “who is able to change our vile body into His glorious body” …is this a promise to change our graying hair, wrinkles and decomposing statue into His glorious body in He is able to subdue all things unto Himself. Or is what is vile is all the back-biting, murdering, lusting, stealing, envying, greed, and lack of brotherly love? As far as mirror…He tells us about staring into it; either walking away, continuing in our own way deceived ..or staring into the law of Liberty changed from glory to glory. Is this mirror really the one hanging in our bathroom? If not what is the reflection and who gives it?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think everyone knows what circumcision is.

Natural circumcision is the cutting away of a protective covering that is not required because we wear clothing. Now God uses that same imagery for the heart being uncovered by the flesh in heart circumcision.

In the same way that Israel was uncircumcised in the heart, so the church remains uncrucified in the outer man. In the New Covenant, God gives us a circumcised heart as a gift of initial grace. However, with that gift also comes greater responsibility. God wants to take us a step further in uncovering the entire inner man, including the mind and the will, by crucifying the outer man which keeps the inner man in bondage. So then, the New Covenant takes us that step further by upping the ante. God gives us a new heart, but a heart that is still trapped in the bondage of the sin nature based in the outer man. In the world, it is foolish to go naked and unprotected. Even for practical reasons, we need the outer man in order to operate normally in the world. An undeveloped outer man makes us appear as a fool, a child, or mentally deficient. That is why we become fools in order to become wise. We become defenseless when we turn to Christ since we take off our outer man clothing to be clothed with Christ.

When we are in Christ, we no longer need our own survival mechanism as a covering since we have the robes of His righteousness.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
y crucifying the outer man which keeps the inner man in bondage. So then, the New Covenant takes us that step further by upping the ante. God gives us a new heart, but a heart that is still trapped in the bondage of the sin nature based in the outer man.

Romans 6:3-7 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Romans 6:10-13 KJV
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12) Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13) Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin. Knowing this, that our old man lit. was crucified with Him.

Ephesians 2:4-6 KJV
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)
6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Galatians 2:20-21 KJV
20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21) I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Colossians 2:10-15 KJV
10) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12) Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV
7) (For we walk by faith, not by sight)

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: GRACE ambassador