The phrase 'Spiritually Dead' is not in the Bible. Where do you get this from?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Wikipedia:

"The phrase spiritual death is not found in Protestant scriptures, and definitions of the concept thus vary among Protestant Christians."

Spiritual death in Christianity - Wikipedia

I hereby formally submit to the entire Human Race that there is no such thing as 'Spiritual Death'.

Furthermore, any teachings on said phrase should be regarded as Heresy and rejected.

You have just been put on notice.

full

Prove me wrong.

full

Reactions: Butch5 and MatthewG

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Wikipedia:

"The phrase spiritual death is not found in Protestant scriptures, and definitions of the concept thus vary among Protestant Christians."

I hereby formally submit to the entire Human Race that there is no such thing as 'Spiritual Death'.

Furthermore, any teachings on said phrase should be regarded as Heresy and rejected.

full

Prove me wrong.

full

Ok, LoL.

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics then. How about if you first tell me how you would define someone's spiritual state if they have rejected the Lord Jesus Christ, and say placed faith in Satanism instead, or in some religion that denies Him being the Son of God.

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:17
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

John 3:6-7
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Spiritual death and birth.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, LoL.

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics then. How about if you first tell me how you would define someone's spiritual state if they have rejected the Lord Jesus Christ, and say placed faith in Satanism instead, or in some religion that denies Him being the Son of God.
Thanks for taking the time to post. Good question.

Instead of the made-up phrase 'Spiritually Dead', I would instead use a Biblical phrase.

'Twice Dead' is a good one...

Jude 1:12
"These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;"

Another is 'Twofold more the Child of Hell'...

Matthew 23:15
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves."

There are more.

The reason I would choose them is that they convey a more accurate representation of the persons state of being.

In other words, they are 'pre-condemned' to be thrown into the Lake of Fire and experience the Second Death.

Now of course, this causes issues for the average Christian with regards to what happened in the Garden of Eden and the Forbidden Fruit.

Not for me though. :)

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

John 3:6-7
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Spiritual death and birth.
Perfect! Good job @Rudometkin .

Many Christians believe that the so called 'Spiritual Death' came from Adam and Eve and the Fall of Man.

However, as I stated earlier, I believe that the phrase Spiritual Death should be changed to Twice Dead.

What this means is that after Adam and his Wife partook of the Forbidden Fruit, they became Twice Dead. In other words, they were to be sentenced to experience the Second Death. They were pre-condemned to the Lake of Fire.

In fact, the Lake of Fire began with the Cherubim and Flaming Sword. That is what they represented. Adam and Eve were 'passed through the fire'...

Leviticus 18:21
"And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD."

They died twice. Literally. It is all there in Genesis.

BTW, Moloch represents the Womb of Mystery Babylon by which they were Born Again from.

Yes, Adam and his Wife were 'Born Again' of corruptible flesh.

The 'Born Again' part of John 3:6-7 that you posted refers to BOTH examples, not just one. Christians wrongly assume that Born Again applies only to the Glorified Body.

;)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, they are 'pre-condemned' to be thrown into the Lake of Fire and experience the Second Death.

Now of course, this causes issues for the average Christian with regards to what happened in the Garden of Eden and the Forbidden Fruit.

Not for me though. :)

Well yes, I would have to say that causes problems for me as well, LoL.

But I would not be beyond discussing it with you politely if you were interested. :)

Tell me, on what scriptures do you base the notion that some are "pre-condemned" to the Lake of Fire as you say?

Reactions: Base12

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen. 2:17 is a good place to start.
They did not physically die the day they sinned, they died spiritually. Although their cells began yo die and physical death became part of their existence.
Spiritually dead means they were separated from God. And the wages of sin is death.
IF we become alive in Christ spiritually, then what were we before? Dead. We are all born spiritually dead, disconnected, like a cell phone without a battery. "Hello ... is anybody there ... God ... are you listening?"
When we are born again, we are given eternal life. Hundreds of verses support our spirituality and the fleshly part of us.
Stephen was being stoned to earth and he said, Lord receive my spirit.
He went directly to the Lord.
Paul said, " ... to be absent the body is to be present with the Lord."
IF YOU don't have Jesus, you are dead and you will die in your sin (physically and spiritually). and the wrath of God abides in you.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 5:6 (NKJV)
6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

Sure doesn't mean physical death!
Hi @kcnalp

Good point. I would interpret the word 'dead' in the above verse as being 'Twice Dead'.

In other words, said Woman exists in a pre-determined state that guarantees she will experience the Second Death (Lake of Fire).

I would say that ALL of Mankind exists in that pre-determined state until we become Saved.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well yes, I would have to say that causes problems for me as well, LoL.

But I would not be beyond discussing it with you politely if you were interested. :)

Tell me, on what scriptures do you base the notion that some are "pre-condemned" to the Lake of Fire as you say?
I won't beat anyone over the head with my views. Much of it is difficult to receive. I get that. It took me years to accept it.

So here is an example of being pre-condemned...

Matthew 23:15
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves."

Here is what I believe Jesus is teaching us...

The phrase 'Child of Hell' is literal. It is where we all are LITERALLY born from...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

The Lowest Parts of the Earth is Hell, yet it is a parable of the Womb. Jesus went there...

Ephesians 4:9
"Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?"

Again, the Lower Parts of the Earth is the Womb. Jesus first descended into the Womb of Mary to be born into this world. See that? I bet you were 'told' differently.

In the case of Matthew 23:25, the original word is Gehenna, which is the Lake of Fire.

Note that the Proselyte is TWOFOLD the Child of Hell. This means he was not only born out of Gehenna once, but will have to go through the Lake of Fire yet again and become born of corruptible flesh.

And guess what? The same happened to all of us. We were thrown into the Lake of Fire in 'time past' when we were Children of Disobedience. We were then given another chance.

It is the 'another chance' part that Christians are kept from believing, yet a literal reading of the text reveals this plainly.

This is why the word 'Spiritual' is added. It is meant to throw off the Christians from discovering we had a 'past life'.

Consider this verse...

Ephesians 2:2
"Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

How far back are we talking about here? A few years? What if Time Past meant BEFORE we were born? That is what I believe is being said.

TIME PAST = PAST LIFE

Boom! That is the elephant in the room Christians are not allowed to consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did not physically die the day they sinned, they died spiritually.
Hey @Ronald David Bruno .

I realize that many Churches add the word 'Spiritual' to Genesis 2:17, but see that is my entire argument.

Why can't I simply believe that 'Day' means day and 'Surely Die' means Surely Die?

Why must I add unto and take away from the Word of God to make it say what someone else wants it to say?

This is what they want me to do...

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely [Spiritually] die."

Or they want me to do this...

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the [hundreds of years after] thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

I flat out refuse to do that. I choose to believe the literal interpretation. Now I am considered a Super Deluxe Heretic... lol.

So much for Hero.

:(

Reactions: Wrangler

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, LoL.

As Sherlock would say, that is the question...

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lowest Parts of the Earth is Hell, yet is is a parable of the Womb. Jesus went there...

Ephesians 4:9
"Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?"

Ok, let's take a couple of these passages then.

For this one, tell me how you interpret verse 8 where it says, "He led captivity captive."

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers (Ephesians 4:8-11)
The phrase 'Child of Hell' is literal. It is where we all are LITERALLY born from...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

For this one, a few verses earlier the writer mentions ascending to Heaven or making his bed in Hades. Tell me if you believe in the concept of a literal Hades, i.e. Underworld in the afterlife.

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in Hades, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. (Psalm 139:8-15)

Reactions: pompadour

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well you are free to concoct whatever you wish, but you are simply denying what Scripture affirms. That is what a lot of cultists do.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Wikipedia:

full

Prove me wrong.

full

Hello Base 12:
Death - Thompson Chain Reference -

These are several scriptures dealing with spiritual death however, it will depend on your take on what spiritual death is, if you believe that there is any truth to that fact or not.

• Spiritual ~ Death
    • general references to

• Genesis 2:17 (NAS)
    17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

• Proverbs 8:36 (NAS)
    36 "But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death."

• Ezekiel 18:20 (NAS)
    20 The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

• Romans 6:23 (NAS)
    23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Romans 8:6 (NAS)
    6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

• James 1:15 (NAS)
    15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

• James 5:20 (NAS)
    20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

• Revelation 21:8 (NAS)
    8 But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
What does sin do to the heart? It hardens it, an cuts off belief if a man falls into unbelief and denying God, and no longer accepting willfully rejecting.

Sin quenches the spirit with-in us as well.

What happens to a believer when they believe? They are baptized in the Holy Spirit by the Lord Jesus Christ who baptizes in holy spirit and in fire.

A believer is transformed from the former life, because of coming into a relationship with God, and God giving the spirit by the Lord Jesus Christ, and the spirit of Christ residing with-in us is something to give thanks and praise for a believer is given a new life through being reborn again by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perfect! Good job @Rudometkin .

Many Christians believe that the so called 'Spiritual Death' came from Adam and Eve and the Fall of Man.

However, as I stated earlier, I believe that the phrase Spiritual Death should be changed to Twice Dead.

What this means is that after Adam and his Wife partook of the Forbidden Fruit, they became Twice Dead. In other words, they were to be sentenced to experience the Second Death. They were pre-condemned to the Lake of Fire.

In fact, the Lake of Fire began with the Cherubim and Flaming Sword. That is what they represented. Adam and Eve were 'passed through the fire'...

Leviticus 18:21
"And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD."

They died twice. Literally. It is all there in Genesis.

BTW, Moloch represents the Womb of Mystery Babylon by which they were Born Again from.

Yes, Adam and his Wife were 'Born Again' of corruptible flesh.

The 'Born Again' part of John 3:6-7 that you posted refers to BOTH examples, not just one. Christians wrongly assume that Born Again applies only to the Glorified Body.

;)
Hold on there partner! That's a lot of mystery stuff you're slingin'. Which actually I like, because it shows you're at least thinking.

You are correct that the Bible never says the 2 words spiritual death, or I suppose spirit death, or having a dead spirit. Neither does the Bible say the word rapture. (Which I believe is an inaccurate one)

Jude, however does speak of being twice dead, plucked up by the roots, having not the Spirit...And we are dead in our trespasses and sins...
And we separate ourselves from God thereby. Even as Adam and Eve were the first to be created by God and the first to be separated from Him by sin and transgression.

So, we have walking dead sinners, separated from God and His life, having not His Spirit. So spiritually speaking, they are dead. They are spiritually dead from God.

However, that does not mean they are dead of spirit, because they can have an evil spirit...(I say 'they' in hopes of being excluded therefrom)

Now, what's with this Adam and Even headed to the Lake of Fire malarkey, and the lake of fire began with the flaming sword, and Moloch is the Womb of Babylon the Great...

Not disagreeing here, but all things are malarkey to me, until Scripture proves it is so. You may call me: The Berean. The Berean of the Bible. Biblically Berean. In all things Bible, Berean. ANy of these will do. Or you can just call me The Big B.