The proper and harmonious interpretation of Romans 11:25 [split from another topic]

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Retrobyter,
For instance, I challenge ANYONE to show me a Scripture verse that proves there is a "spiritual seed!"
I am genuinely surprised to see this challenge from you, brother. :huh:

When Paul calls Christ 'the Seed' which was promised to Abraham, do you not 'see' that He is the word by which we are born into God's kingdom?

Peter says

1 Peter 1: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

John says

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Why do you think John moves from 'born ... of the will ... of God', directly to 'And the Word was made flesh'? The Word is the promised Seed.

Paul said, speaking of his preaching ministry - preaching the word of God...

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Why does faith have anything to do with Israel?

Genesis 22:11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me ... 15 And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, 16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which isupon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Notice that Abraham's commendation from God was entirely abstract. It was because he had 'obeyed' His 'voice'.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void,
but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. 26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said,Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

In the whole of John's gospel, this is the only use of the word 'faith'.

What are 'they' going to 'believe'? They are going to believe the word of testimony from witnesses who have 'seen' something. (Us!)

The word is a seed which bears fruit in those who received it. (Jesus explained this in the parable of the sower.) The 'spiritual principle' which is contained in the seed, is eternal life to those whose hearts are good ground - or whose hearts become good ground. But there were two categories of 'heart' which Jesus mentioned: those who allowed - 1) the cares of the world, and 2) the deceitfulness of riches - to choke off the growth of the word.

Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

14 '... the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Please tell me you can see that unless we are in Christ, we are not 'Abraham's seed' (singular). If we not in Christ, we are not heirs to the promise.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Only days after the crucifixion of Christ, and His resurrection, the disciples had their commission confirmed to them by the Lord. Would you like to be told you were being sent on the same mission that got your Master crucified? That's what we're talking about. That has always been the deal.

Paul again,

Acts 26:4 My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; 5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. 6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: 7 Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. 8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

1 Corinthians 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Isaiah 28:14 Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: 16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

1 Peter 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, 2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. 7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

'I challenge ANYONE to show me a Scripture verse that proves there is a "spiritual seed'. Do you see it yet? As a representative 'anyone', I've shown a few connections, Peter himself referring to 'lively stones', 'spiritual house' and 'spiritual sacrifices'.

Can you see that there is a profound connection between the Word incarnate - the living word - and the incorruptible seed?

The seed which was in the fruit which Adam ate, has borne its own fruit in every succeeding generation. Only those who have died to that corrupted-fruit-bearing lifestyle, (bad trees bearing bad fruit being cut down) can begin to eat from the tree of life. Just as Adam made a decision - an abstract event with physical consequences - so also Israelites and Jews today have to make the decision to stop bearing corrupt fruit, and start bearing the good fruit of the Spirit, through being cut off from unbelief and grafted into the olive tree which is Christ, who is also the true Vine. His Father (our Father, the Father of spirits) is the husbandman.

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graff them in again.

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Jeremiah 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the Lord God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.

Christ the promised seed is also the holy firstfruit (from the dead) - the root - from whom all who are grafted in, now receive their life and identity.

James says

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures... 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

This is the spiritual principle in creation, which also works in us - His fruit-bearing branches - is of fruit containing seed which reproduces itself, first mentioned in Genesis.

Genesis 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament...'

- Christ in us, offering acceptable spiritual sacrifices Hebrews 13:15, 16 - word of life - good seed scattered by faith into the ground of hearts.

I really hope you can see that the seed of the word is spiritual, just as the law is spiritual.

And if we receive the Christ, the seed, by circumcision of the heart then...

Romans 8: '... what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus is a spiritual law, just like the law of sin and death and the law of faith. They are all 'laws of truth'. The above verses are only a tiny part of what more could be said to establish that the promised seed - Christ - produces His (spiritual) life in us.

Isaiah 40:5 And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together:
for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

6 The voice said, Cry.
And he said, What shall I cry?
All flesh is grass
and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth:
because the spirit of the Lord bloweth upon it:
surely the people is grass.
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth:
but the word of our God shall stand for ever

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Spirit is the ultimate reality, so those who try to denigrate the discernment of spiritual truths in scripture by calling it spirtualizing of scripture are obtuse and ignorant.

The whole context of Romans 9-11 is that only a remnant of natural Israel will be saved.
I dont want to start a debate with you ..... but want you to know that many many Christians for many many years got off on the wrong track by "spiritualizing Israel"

It is easy to understand the origins of these errors because lets face it ...... there was no Nation of Israel for over 1900 years ..... there were only a handful of Jews scattered around the world and they were insignificant ..... so the (Christian) scholars tried to "pretend" that the church was now "Israel" in order to make the scriptures "work".

For that reason nearly all our church commentaries pre 1948 , and to this day still carry some of those same errors and it causes much confusion within bible study.

The majority of the "mis-understandings of scripture" find their origin in not realizing Nation Israel and her citizens still have a roll to play ..... esp from now to the end times .... and not because I say so .... but because God says so .... and He also makes it clear He does it for his own reasons and His Holy Name .... not because Israel deserves it.

We are correct to Label Modern Israel as disobedient , and certainly they are unbelievers as far as the gospel is concerned ..... for that reason it is difficult for us to comprehend that God still includes them in his future plans.

But like it or not he does.

He keeps his end of the bargain .

And yes .... we are also beneficiaries and recipients of "the promises to Israel" because we gentiles are hanging on the branch grafted into Israel .... so there is a ring of truth to those claims as well

But we are the Gentile Christian Church

We are not Israel.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
dragonfly .... it will take a lot of de-programming to get you back on the right track (I am not saying that in a rude context)

What you have done in your lengthy post is take god's promise of seed .... which applies to Christ ..... and then you try to leapfrog thru the scriptures to make the seed promise of God apply to you directly ... and as though God made that promise just for you.

You are not alone ..... that dangerous prideful arrogance resides in many Christians

I say again .... I am not trying to be personally harsh or rude to you .... I just hope you will re-think the whole matter.

And again I say ..... it comes down to we Christians figuring out what scriptures apply to Israel (the nation) versus which ones apply to the Christian church.

5/6 th's of the bible is about Israel
It starts at Genesis 12 to Acts 2 ..... then the "Church is in focus" .... then it's back on Israel again in much of revelation.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Arnie,

Like Paul in Romans 9:4, I believe that Israelites and Jews are missing their true vocation in God, if they do not come to Christ to receive the adoption as sons which He procured for them. All Israelites and Jews are to be welcomed into the New Covenant where they belong. I hope nothing I posted suggests otherwise.

The major detail you're missing is that it is only 'in Christ' that anyone is saved. I'm delighted that you could see that through my post. Christ is the door, no matter what a person's nationality is.

Paul reminded unbelieving Jews of the ancient prophecies they were supposed to be fulfilling, over two thousand years ago.

I don't believe the 70th week wasn't fulfilled straight after the 69th week, IF that interpretation of that prophecy is correct. I came across another 70 time period, yesterday, which is quite a relief, but have not finished thinking about how it might apply to our times, and the end, whenever it comes.

The main reason both Jews and Gentiles don't become Christians, is they like the life they're living, and they think God has a worse plan for them, not a better one. The future is in Christ. There's not getting away from it. And God will destroy even those descended from the fathers, for unbelief.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:
dragonfly .... it will take a lot of de-programming to get you back on the right track (I am not saying that in a rude context)

What you have done in your lengthy post is take god's promise of seed .... which applies to Christ ..... and then you try to leapfrog thru the scriptures to make the seed promise of God apply to you directly ... and as though God made that promise just for you.

You are not alone ..... that dangerous prideful arrogance resides in many Christians

I say again .... I am not trying to be personally harsh or rude to you .... I just hope you will re-think the whole matter.

And again I say ..... it comes down to we Christians figuring out what scriptures apply to Israel (the nation) versus which ones apply to the Christian church.

5/6 th's of the bible is about Israel
It starts at Genesis 12 to Acts 2 ..... then the "Church is in focus" .... then it's back on Israel again in much of revelation.

The nation that is presently calling itself Israel today is NOT the Israel of the bible. If anything it is the re-establishment of Judah or Judea at it was known in Jesus' time on earth. Think about it. It is the same thing as calling a building a church. People then associate what the bible is talking about in the bible for our modern concept....and miss the message entirely in the process.

I remember once when I was working for an aviation company...they lost an entire wing of a plane. Someone quipped...maybe it was just mis-labeled? (as if something so large could go missing that way). Anyway...it was eventually found in another hangar..

But the enemy HAS been able to mis-label practically everything you read about in the bible...in order to mislead. That is his business and he is good at it.

Israel has always been the goal of God...it is His people...and the future bride of Christ. There is no other bride. So if you are only looking at the natural....then you don't belong in the bride by your own carnal seeing that YOU ARE NOT BORN NATURALLY INTO IT....do you see?

But those who are born of the Spirit and grafted into Israel...these are the Israel of God. If you walk by the Spirit and see by the Spirit then you are part of the bride and Israel. Or do you think being born by the will of God is LESS significant than being born by the will of men?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Episkopos said:
The nation that is presently calling itself Israel today is NOT the Israel of the bible. If anything it is the re-establishment of Judah or Judea at it was known in Jesus' time on earth. Think about it. It is the same thing as calling a building a church. People then associate what the bible is talking about in the bible for our modern concept....and miss the message entirely in the process.

I remember once when I was working for an aviation company...they lost an entire wing of a plane. Someone quipped...maybe it was just mis-labeled? (as if something so large could go missing that way). Anyway...it was eventually found in another hangar..

But the enemy HAS been able to mis-label practically everything you read about in the bible...in order to mislead. That is his business and he is good at it.
Mis-labeling, that's a very good description of deception.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Episkopos
Thats a much better Synonym than what i have been using "you have been taught" and much more effective strategy from the enemy, mislabeling

A teaching can be shown to be in error, but If you can miss label the identifiers church, temple, Israel, and in some cases Jesus, it doesn't matter what is taught, it could have hundreds of different interpretations using the same levin. To me this is a valuable new revelation in making a presentation.

What I believe to be the source of dispensation is Danial 9:27
a mis-labeling of Jesus with the AC This displaces the 70th week into the future separating it from the 69th.
27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; <-Salvation offered to the Jews, a new covenant, salvation was exclusively Jewish, until Paul and Peter were sent to the Gentiles. 70th week fulfilled as salvation went out to the Gentiles.
But in the middle of the week <- Jesus went to the cross,
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. <- the veil of the temple was torn Matthew 27:51 Mark 15:38 , I leave unto you your house desolate, Matthew 23:38
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, <-The abominations of the Pharisees, Jesus "made" declared the temple desolate, Matthew 23:38
Even until the consummation, which is determined, <-Roman army 70 AD
Is poured out on the desolate. <-Roman army 70 AD
once this verse is mislabeled as it is by Dispensationalist, you can build a case for a new temple 2 Thes 2:4
You can make a case for the AC and the necessity of a new temple, ending the "future" sacrifices and offering, setting in the "future" temple of God
You can make a case for the displaced 70th week, The last week is all about the AC instead of Jesus Christ
You can separate the church from Israel, the 70th week is all about closing Gabriel's 9:27 prophesy, of the mislabeled Jesus Christ with the AC and the Jews temple.
You can make a case for Gods not finished with Israel, Romans 11:25, I've yet to see verses that support Dispensationalist interpretation. People here don't even realize its based on 9:27
After you separate the church from Israel you can explain Rev, the church is in heaven and the Jews are batting clean up during the great trib be it a 3.5 years or the full 7 years of the mislabeled and displaced last week.

It just goes on and on all because the 70 week is mislabeled with AC instead of Jesus Christ. Gabrael says the outline of the 70 weeks is what? Its entirely Messianic not a hint of speaking about the works of Satin-->>>> yet the AC finds himself the center of attention in the 70th and final week. Does anyone see in this outline, an AC or the works of AC? These are the works of the Messiah not the AC.

24 “Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression, <--------- Romans 8:1
To make an end of sins, <-----------Hebrews 9:26 1 Peter 4:1
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
dragonfly said:
The major detail you're missing is that it is only 'in Christ' that anyone is saved. I'm delighted that you could see that through my post. Christ is the door, no matter what a person's nationality is.
Yes .... and if you notice I have never said that Israel is saved without Christ ..... even folks like Moses and Noah , and David are in heaven ... ultimately it will have been done through Christ somehow.

Our biggest hang-up is that we think Israel has to do everything the way we want them to in order to be saved.

But God has his own plans for Israel ..... including their disobedience and unbelief .... God even goes so far as to say that we (gentiles) have the opportunity to have salvation because of Israels unbelief ..... and we should be respectful of that

We are not told the mechanics of how God saves all Israel .... ultimately it has to be thru Christ ... but how it plays out we do not know.

God has made a covenant with the Christian through Jesus Christ , and God will keep his end of the bargain , even if we are disobedient on occasion

God has made a covenant with Israel and God will keep his end of the bargain even if Israel is disobedient on occasion.

I repeat .... I agree there is no salvation outside of Christ .... for the Jew or for the gentile

It comes down to the timing of the application of the salvation (my speculation)
Just like Moses is saved through Christ even though Christ had not been sacrificed yet (my speculation)

Remember ... I am just speculating ..... but look at me for a minute .... Jesus did not die for me in 1986 when I became a believer

He died 2000 years before that ...... I was born in 1951 and remained in stubborn unbelief for another 35 years .... then in 1986 I finally accepted salvation

My timing was crappy .... but I can still say that I received salvation 2000 years ago ..... and applied that salvation after the fact ...... or maybe I should say God let me receive salvation long after he made the sacrifice for me.

If God can back-date salvation for Moses .... or forward-date salvation for you and me .... why not for disobedient Israel too ??

Has Israel been punished for their disobedience .... ? .... they sure have ..... they have been banished and scattered , terminated and exterminated , causted and holocausted .... as unbelievers they have not had the daily forgiveness that we Christians enjoy.

Eventually God fulfills his end of the bargain regarding Israel , whether they deserve it or not

One of the reasons he does it is to show the extent of his mercy .... and nobody needs mercy more than Israel .

From our point of view we can say that Israel does not deserve salvation .... that would be fair to say.

But in the same breath we must acknowledge that none of us Christians deserve salvation either.

It all comes down to mercy ..... and the timing of the application of that mercy

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
You know Arnie there is a proverb that goes, who ever presents their case first seems right, until another comes forward and questions him.

The churches have been presenting their case first for a long time now, the very case you defend. Now that we have questioned that case in Romans 11:25 I see you still hang on to it in-spite of being afforded the opportunity to make a case for it. Instead you are reduced to statements like these in your defense.

This statement would include your own way which you have great trouble in providing Apostolic teachings for.
Our biggest hang-up is that we think Israel has to do everything the way we want them to in order to be saved.
But God has his own plans for Israel ..... including their disobedience and unbelief
I suppose you are referring to salvation based on ethnicity again you have yet to make that case from Scripture> Please provide NT "new covenant" verses
God has made a covenant with Israel and God will keep his end of the bargain even if Israel is disobedient on occasion.
Because the way unto salvation has been presented in Christ, please make a case from NT where God prevents or discourages salvation unto any man.
If God can back-date salvation for Moses .... or forward-date salvation
for you and me .... why not for disobedient Israel too ??
This is a straw-man Paul says they do not believe, not they did not deserve, as you said no one deserves salvation
From our point of view we can say that Israel does not deserve salvation .... that would be fair to say.
All in all Arnie you have nothing to base your claim on, and nether do the churches that presents such things, its repeated over and over and over, until it is simply accepted as truth, in most cases it is never carefully pointed to except in Romans 11:25. On careful examination this single verse and their interpretation is not supported in the NT. But is widely accepted as being the truth, a foundational principle that is used repeatedly as a lens to support many teachings especially future events, after the the secret return of Christ for the church, then the completion of the promise to Israel -> in which Paul and others say that promise was Christ and has been fulfilled. There is no provision for people even Israel that reject this message to say other wise is to preach another gospel. One for the church and one for Israel.

Proverbs 18:17

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I have plenty to base what I say on ..... the bible is full of it ..... Romans works through it systematically .... and besides I was using my own words and my own speculation ..... and said so clearly.

Set all that aside for a moment and look at it another way ...... does the bible still show events and happenings that specifically pertain to Israel for the future .... ? ..... it sure does

And what do most people do when they encounter those verses ???? ..... they just roll over them and mumble to themselves something about the church is now "spiritual Israel" ...... or .... "they are just a bunch of unbelieving Jews anyway"

"Rolling over those verses" works at that moment but it begins to confuse the reader because very often it is impossible to not see that it is about Literal Israel

My motive in all of these discussions .... ? ..... actually I have no agenda specifically toward Israel ..... I simply read my bible carefully and accurately when it differentiates between the church and remnant Israel i pay attention. Simple as that.

And I believe literally what it says about future Israel

I may not like it , I may not agree with it , I may not understand it completely , but I will not change what it says ..... I think that is my whole point

Quite frankly , I could care less what Israel and the Jews do .It doesn't matter to me personally.

My problem is that God still has them in center focus ..... even after all these years.

And in fairness , systematic theology pertaining to Israel has been the most ignored topic in all of our theological teachings

But in spite of that ..... we should read our bibles with greater care when anything Israel pops up. It also helps us to see more clearly how the Gentile Christian church fits into the big picture.

At least it has for me ..... and remember my origins comes from seeing Israel as simply a bunch of disobedient unbelieving Jews. .... I have dragged myself kicking and screaming to see Israel the way the bible does .

It was never something I willingly wanted to do.

Hope that makes sense.

Notice again ..... I did not quote any scriptures ..... I feel it accomplishes more if folks research it themselves as they read their own bibles.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, dragonfly.

dragonfly said:
Hi Retrobyter,

I am genuinely surprised to see this challenge from you, brother. :huh:
LOL! It shouldn't be that surprising. I am a literalist, after all; so much so, that many might call me a hyper-literalist.

dragonfly said:
When Paul calls Christ 'the Seed' which was promised to Abraham, do you not 'see' that He is the word by which we are born into God's kingdom?

Peter says

1 Peter 1: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

John says

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Why do you think John moves from 'born ... of the will ... of God', directly to 'And the Word was made flesh'? The Word is the promised Seed.
I didn't say that there wasn't incorruptible seed nor did I say that there wasn't a promised Seed! I said that there's no such thing as a "SPIRITUAL" seed!

dragonfly said:
Paul said, speaking of his preaching ministry - preaching the word of God...

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Why does faith have anything to do with Israel?

Genesis 22:11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me ... 15 And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, 16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which isupon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Notice that Abraham's commendation from God was entirely abstract. It was because he had 'obeyed' His 'voice'.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void,
but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. 26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said,Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

In the whole of John's gospel, this is the only use of the word 'faith'.

What are 'they' going to 'believe'? They are going to believe the word of testimony from witnesses who have 'seen' something. (Us!)

The word is a seed which bears fruit in those who received it. (Jesus explained this in the parable of the sower.) The 'spiritual principle' which is contained in the seed, is eternal life to those whose hearts are good ground - or whose hearts become good ground. But there were two categories of 'heart' which Jesus mentioned: those who allowed - 1) the cares of the world, and 2) the deceitfulness of riches - to choke off the growth of the word.
NO!!! This is PRECISELY what I am talking about and why I brought up the thread on the parables of Matthew 13! That is NOT what Yeshua` was talking about! That "seed" was the MESSAGE ABOUT THE KINGDOM!!!

dragonfly said:
Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

14 '... the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Please tell me you can see that unless we are in Christ, we are not 'Abraham's seed' (singular). If we not in Christ, we are not heirs to the promise.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Only days after the crucifixion of Christ, and His resurrection, the disciples had their commission confirmed to them by the Lord. Would you like to be told you were being sent on the same mission that got your Master crucified? That's what we're talking about. That has always been the deal.

Paul again,

Acts 26:4 My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; 5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. 6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: 7 Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. 8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

1 Corinthians 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Isaiah 28:14 Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: 16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

1 Peter 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, 2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. 7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

'I challenge ANYONE to show me a Scripture verse that proves there is a "spiritual seed'. Do you see it yet? As a representative 'anyone', I've shown a few connections, Peter himself referring to 'lively stones', 'spiritual house' and 'spiritual sacrifices'.

Can you see that there is a profound connection between the Word incarnate - the living word - and the incorruptible seed?

The seed which was in the fruit which Adam ate, has borne its own fruit in every succeeding generation. Only those who have died to that corrupted-fruit-bearing lifestyle, (bad trees bearing bad fruit being cut down) can begin to eat from the tree of life. Just as Adam made a decision - an abstract event with physical consequences - so also Israelites and Jews today have to make the decision to stop bearing corrupt fruit, and start bearing the good fruit of the Spirit, through being cut off from unbelief and grafted into the olive tree which is Christ, who is also the true Vine. His Father (our Father, the Father of spirits) is the husbandman.

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graff them in again.

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Jeremiah 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the Lord God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.

Christ the promised seed is also the holy firstfruit (from the dead) - the root - from whom all who are grafted in, now receive their life and identity.

James says

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures... 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

This is the spiritual principle in creation, which also works in us - His fruit-bearing branches - is of fruit containing seed which reproduces itself, first mentioned in Genesis.

Genesis 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament...'

- Christ in us, offering acceptable spiritual sacrifices Hebrews 13:15, 16 - word of life - good seed scattered by faith into the ground of hearts.

I really hope you can see that the seed of the word is spiritual, just as the law is spiritual.

And if we receive the Christ, the seed, by circumcision of the heart then...

Romans 8: '... what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus is a spiritual law, just like the law of sin and death and the law of faith. They are all 'laws of truth'. The above verses are only a tiny part of what more could be said to establish that the promised seed - Christ - produces His (spiritual) life in us.

Isaiah 40:5 And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together:
for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

6 The voice said, Cry.
And he said, What shall I cry?
All flesh is grass,
and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth:
because the spirit of the Lord bloweth upon it:
surely the people is grass.
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth:
but the word of our God shall stand for ever
And, in ALL that you quoted there is not ONE PLACE that uses the phrase "SPIRITUAL seed!" I really don't have much of a problem with all you said; my main concern is the abuse of the term "SPIRITUAL!" It is misapplied and misused to the point of abuse (abnormal use).

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Retrobyter said:
LOL! It shouldn't be that surprising. I am a literalist, after all; so much so, that many might call me a hyper-literalist.
I wouldn't call you a literalist because sometimes the literal sense is the spiritual one. I would call you a hyper-naturalist because you only focus on the natural interpretation ignoring all supernatural (spiritual) ones.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, ChristRoseFromTheDead.

Nonsense. The literal sense is most often the grammatical, historical interpretation of the Scriptures. You don't even know the difference between "spiritual" and "natural." Did you know, for instance, that the Greek word translated "spiritual" is "pneumatikos" and the Greek word translated "natural" is "psuchikos?" "Pneumatikos" comes from "pneuma," which is often translated "spirit," but "psuchikos" comes from "psuchee," which is most often translated as "soul!" So, what's up with that? Do you understand why?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, ChristRoseFromTheDead.

Nonsense. The literal sense is most often the grammatical, historical interpretation of the Scriptures. You don't even know the difference between "spiritual" and "natural." Did you know, for instance, that the Greek word translated "spiritual" is "pneumatikos" and the Greek word translated "natural" is "psuchikos?" "Pneumatikos" comes from "pneuma," which is often translated "spirit," but "psuchikos" comes from "psuchee," which is most often translated as "soul!" So, what's up with that? Do you understand why?
There is the natural world in which lives with souls breathe to live. This is the world your mind focuses on. And there is the spiritual world in which eternal life dwells. The mind of Christ focuses on that world.

Oh No... here we go again with the realm of the spirit is the sky...

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Retrobyter said:
And, in ALL that you quoted there is not ONE PLACE that uses the phrase "SPIRITUAL seed!" I really don't have much of a problem with all you said; my main concern is the abuse of the term "SPIRITUAL!" It is misapplied and misused to the point of abuse (abnormal use).
You can't find one place that supports your interpretation of Romans 11:25 but that's alright by you LOL, no evidence for the flesh Israel.
And by the way Israel never was of the flesh the promise never was unto all the blood line its always been the circumcision of the heart Rom 2:29

Israel of the Spirit
Gal 6:15-16
Gal 3:7-9
Gal 3:29
Romans 2:29
Romans 4:11-12
Phil 3:2-3
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation! 3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Rex said:
You can't find one place that supports your interpretation of Romans 11:25 but that's alright by you LOL, no evidence for the flesh Israel.
And by the way Israel never was of the flesh the promise never was unto all the blood line its always been the circumcision of the heart Rom 2:29
RB's response to godly exegesis.

childTantrum.jpg

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These arguments tend to be very interesting and I'll be the first to admit that I consider most doctrines that replace Israel with the church to be of a carnal and anti-semitic nature. The artificial distinctions are usually required to support some fanciful doctrine like the pre-trib rapture, but can just be the result of old fashioned racism, fear and prejudice. What I find to be more interesting is the way God, through His prophets has referred to the nation of Israel, sometimes, as Israel, sometimes as Jacob, once or twice as Jeshurun, and these are never randomn substitutions, but rather have deep significance with regard to the spiritual condition of His chosen people. You can't come up with a replacement doctrine without disregarding such things as "the song of Moses" from the book of Deuteronomy. I suppose that the Law is not frequently read by professing Christians. I once found my own Pastor to be unaware of some of the most significant references to the law, and the man was well versed in doctrine and generally familiar with redemptive scripture. I've had conversations with at least a few Jewish men, who have regularly attended their synagogues and listened throughout the year as the Torah was read and discussed, yet had no idea of what the song of Moses even refers to. Perhaps they call the passage something else, or perhaps they're just unwilling to hear what the scripture has said about them (or us). Have you ever wondered what God meant in Jeremiah 31:9?
They shall come with weeping,
And with supplications I will lead them.
I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters,
In a straight way in which they shall not stumble;
For I am a Father to Israel,
And Ephraim is My firstborn.
Why does God call Ephraim His firstborn? The statement is by no means litterally true, so it must be considered a spiritual truth. We all know who the firstborn of God is, so what does He have to do with Ephraim or what does Ephraim have to do with Him? I've heard preachers say that the church isn't mentioned in the Old Testament, yet the body of Christ has been mentioned in the context of messianic scripture as in the example of 2nd Samuel 7:12-16
12 “When your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men. 15 But My mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever.”
We know that the passage speaks of Christ and that Jesus was without iniquity, but the same can't be said for His body, the church. The chastening promised to us is a part of our reassurance of His paternal love.
We can't spiritualize passages at randomn, but the scripture gives us quite a bit of what we must understand in a spiritual way, and perhaps this is part of what seperates the sheep from the goats in the long run. Jesus said 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
We don't actually need to know which sheep belong to Jesus, but we do need to know Him and hear Him and follow Him. Everything else will pretty much sort itself out in the long run and I anticipate His return sooner than later.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Michael V Pardo said:
These arguments tend to be very interesting and I'll be the first to admit that I consider most doctrines that replace Israel with the church to be of a carnal and anti-semitic nature.
Let me comment on the bumper sticker you placed ahead of everything you said. It is not replacement theology, it is the realization that salvation is of the Jews. Which is something many of them never seen coming, simple fact.

God chose Abraham after a long period of silence to manifest his plan unto the world. Long before the promise of Jesus appeared he certainly indicated that this seed would come from Abraham's loins. This seed the fulfillment of the promise of salvation, He who over came death and rose was offered first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles there is no replacement, and the table was set and the Lord invited in all the Jews FIRST to be seated, then the Gentiles. Unbelieving Jews can still come, there place at the table is waiting.

Matthew 22
New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Wedding Banquet
22 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son "Jesus". 3 He sent his servants "disciples" to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been utchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited "most of the Jews" did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find "the Gentiles".’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests "the Earth".
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, "the Lords return" he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless. "the separation of the sheep from the goats"
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

Replacement theology is nothing but a bumper sticker dispensationlist use to keep lost sheep lost

All though the catholic church has done its best to replace the Pharisees and a system of salvation not unlike the levitical one.

Reactions: dragonfly