The Reality Of Putting Him First

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
“The Reality Of Putting Him First”
By Zach Wood
Matthew 6:33-34 NIV
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

In the sermon this past Sunday at church, this passage was shared and then Lauren Daigle’s song, “First” was played to close out the service. It was the perfect ending to a great and challenging message. As I sat there and listened to how we so often make excuses for not putting God first in our lives, I felt so guilty and my heart sank thinking of all the times in my life I have done and still do this. I am so good at making other things a priority, but then putting His Word on the back burner and saying I’ll get to reading more later.

The clincher of the message was when our pastor challenged us about how so many people say that they are close to God in their own way, but hardly ever read His Word. He illustrated how other relationships in our lives would be affected if we never actually talked to the person or spent long periods of time away from them. If we greatly lacked in our communication with our spouse, kids, fiancé, boyfriend, girlfriend, aunt, uncle, best friend, etc., how in the world could we possibly believe we are getting to know them better? How could we possibly claim to know the person better if our communication with them is little to nothing?

As I sat there and soaked all of this in and listened to the closing song, this question echoed in my mind and heart, “What does putting Him first look like in your life and mine?” This question has haunted me, so to speak, since yesterday morning. What would our lives truly look like if we really and sincerely put God first in every part of our lives? What would the deep down truth of this look like in our lives?

I know in my life, it would look so different than how I am living. You all have been a part of my writing life for so many years and you know that I try to be very transparent in what I write so that I can try to relate to others who read these writings. I want to be as transparent as possible so that you all know I am doing my best to be genuine. I am servant of Christ, a husband and a father. I try so hard each day to be successful at all 3 of those areas. But so many days, I feel like I’m doing my own thing and trying to be good enough without actually putting too much effort into it.

What would it look like for you to put Him first? Think about that and take some time to let that question sink in. What would it really and truly look like in your life right now to actually make Him priority over everything else? Making Him first over every decision you make?

Do we really seek Him first?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would it look like for you to put Him first? Think about that and take some time to let that question sink in. What would it really and truly look like in your life right now to actually make Him priority over everything else? Making Him first over every decision you make?

Um, Talkin to the choir here...I've been asking people on forums for 10 yrs to just do that very thing for ONE week!!!
And just as long to my many troubled, struggling Christian friends that don't practice even one of the many directives of Jesus, for just one 24 hour period. :(

I can tell you what it's like....it's like being FREE....☺☺...like not having a care in the world, ever...like knowing the Secret Formula of life!!!
Like having a private direct line that goes directly to God, Himself!

Reactions: pia

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
What does putting Him first look like in your life and mine?”
I believe that the application of this is first seek His justification and then ("and His righteousness") His sanctification. Justification is by believing and obeying the gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:36-40). That calls for discarding everything you think you know about God (Acts 20:21, 2Cor 10:5, Col 3:9-10, Eph 4:24, Ro 12:1) and begin as a child to learn from Him alone.

So being justified, we begin the process of sanctification .. of God forming Christ within us (Gal 4:19, Ro 8:29, etc.). We do this by being in His word regularly and I would begin this process with the wisdom books, especially Proverbs, to know how a godly man is to behave. And this is just 'milk.' Or if you like, learn about your inheritance in Christ from 1Cor 15.

skypair

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By Zach Wood

The reality is you are not your own and it isn't about what you do, it's about what Jesus has done for you.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

As I sat there and listened to how we so often make excuses for not putting God first in our lives, I felt so guilty and my heart sank thinking of all the times in my life I have done and still do this.

I am who the Bible says I am and there is no guilt, I am, in Christ. Think on the good things for guilt-free living...

Philippians 4:8, Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

And meditate on the many verses to remind you of who you are, in Christ, such as...

Romans 8:1-2, Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Seeking is knowing God has the answers when you don't have the questions, seeking is continuous even when you are not aware of seeking and He knows everything about you, it's already been given, His Grace, Jesus. God is not hidden from you and seeking is required of you to find Him, you are hidden with Christ in God.

Colossians 3:3, For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

What would it really and truly look like in your life right now to actually make Him priority over everything else? Making Him first over every decision you make?

Guilt-free living!

Jesus was led by the Father, so are you. What Jesus gets, you get.

John 5:19, Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

I am servant of Christ, a husband and a father.

You are a son, lose the servant mentality, Romans 8:17.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a son, lose the servant mentality, Romans 8:17.

I never could understand this: how we could go from servant to Sons, until this morning.

Philippians 2:7
[7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

In the garden, before sin, man was created in the likeness of God. Then God comes in the likeness of men.
Not in the likeness man had in the garden but of sinful flesh(the likeness of men).

Romans 8:3 KJV
[3] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Restoring us to relationship, from servant (man) to Sons (back in to the likeness of God)

Reactions: pia

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By Zach Wood
Matthew 6:33-34 NIV
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

In the sermon this past Sunday at church, this passage was shared and then Lauren Daigle’s song, “First” was played to close out the service. It was the perfect ending to a great and challenging message. As I sat there and listened to how we so often make excuses for not putting God first in our lives, I felt so guilty and my heart sank thinking of all the times in my life I have done and still do this. I am so good at making other things a priority, but then putting His Word on the back burner and saying I’ll get to reading more later.

The clincher of the message was when our pastor challenged us about how so many people say that they are close to God in their own way, but hardly ever read His Word. He illustrated how other relationships in our lives would be affected if we never actually talked to the person or spent long periods of time away from them. If we greatly lacked in our communication with our spouse, kids, fiancé, boyfriend, girlfriend, aunt, uncle, best friend, etc., how in the world could we possibly believe we are getting to know them better? How could we possibly claim to know the person better if our communication with them is little to nothing?

As I sat there and soaked all of this in and listened to the closing song, this question echoed in my mind and heart, “What does putting Him first look like in your life and mine?” This question has haunted me, so to speak, since yesterday morning. What would our lives truly look like if we really and sincerely put God first in every part of our lives? What would the deep down truth of this look like in our lives?

I know in my life, it would look so different than how I am living. You all have been a part of my writing life for so many years and you know that I try to be very transparent in what I write so that I can try to relate to others who read these writings. I want to be as transparent as possible so that you all know I am doing my best to be genuine. I am servant of Christ, a husband and a father. I try so hard each day to be successful at all 3 of those areas. But so many days, I feel like I’m doing my own thing and trying to be good enough without actually putting too much effort into it.

This is good, I wish it were preached more at my church. But don't misunderstand, God is not a touchstone for making good decisions. No, to seek the kingdom first, is rather to seek Him "in spirit and in truth."

The problem is, it is easy to believe by sight - to look at everything that each day brings and pile it all on the worldly side of the scale, just because that is what we see. But the subject here, is rather what is unseen. So, rather than rising up every morning and looking outside, we should rise up and look within ("the kingdom of God is within you"). But this too is misunderstood to be some metaphysical connection to the natural world - which it is not. No - God is spirit, and we would do better to close our eyes in seeking Him, because the world and what we see is overwhelming and capable of swaying our view of what is important. So, when the word of God says, to "meditate on..." it simply means - leave the world behind. But that is still just words to live by and how to get along in the world with our priorities straight.

More importantly, seeking first the kingdom, is a directive from Christ on how we are to decrease in the flesh and increase in the new spiritual creation that is just a babe. How many sermons have you heard that do not encourage people to apply the principles of scripture to their lives in the world? Most make that the priority, and, yes, put God and the kingdom and what He is doing in spirit...on the back burner...if not in the cupboard...as if the word of God was a self-help guide for living in the world.

If it were me speaking to God's children from the pulpit, I would make it clear that all scripture is first (#1) to be considered from God's standpoint for a purpose that is most important to Him, second (#2) that it fits into a bigger picture than our own part and spans the whole of all time, and third (#3) and last...God has also included certain worldly benefits also for those who do number one and number two first.

And then...it's simple - He has promised to add everything else to our lives.