The reason for the season.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's the 1st of December today and as we get nearer to Christmas I think it's easy to find our minds wandering from the spiritual to the worldly if we aren't careful. Every year I try not to get caught up in the pressure and stress of making Christmas 'perfect' but there always seems to a bit of that creeping in. This year because of lockdown it may be easier to keep the worldly things out.

To me it's important to keep the reason - Jesus - at the front of my mind as we get ready to celebrate the season.

Perhaps we might all share our thoughts about ways we can do that.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to dampen the spirit,
but I haven't "kept" christmas for about 20 years now.
I like the lights, the songs, and the food.
But I don't find the Spirit of Jesus in it.
Maybe long time ago before it became all merchandise, the buying and selling...
When my daughter was little, it was about watching her face, her happiness.
So I'll enjoy the lights, sing the songs, and eat the food,
and try to share as much peace and joy as possible..
all year.

Hugs

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy being around friends and family on Christmas; otherwise, I recognize Christmas as originally a pagan holiday that Christians adopted and transformed into a day about Jesus. I have not celebrated Christmas in a major way since my son was a teenager. Haven't put up decorations in 20 years. Christmas is a time to show how worldly and gluttonous Christians can be. Like Ziggy, I do love the music, however.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I participate in the gift exchange with my children and grandchildren. Didn't put up decorations last year and I won't this year.
Our society has accomplished turning it into a retail business rather than celebrating Jesus.:(

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's the 1st of December today and as we get nearer to Christmas I think it's easy to find our minds wandering from the spiritual to the worldly if we aren't careful. Every year I try not to get caught up in the pressure and stress of making Christmas 'perfect' but there always seems to a bit of that creeping in. This year because of lockdown it may be easier to keep the worldly things out.

To me it's important to keep the reason - Jesus - at the front of my mind as we get ready to celebrate the season.

Perhaps we might all share our thoughts about ways we can do that.
@Pearl A good verse to think about: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." (John 1.14)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not to dampen the spirit,
but I haven't "kept" christmas for about 20 years now.
I like the lights, the songs, and the food.
But I don't find the Spirit of Jesus in it.
Maybe long time ago before it became all merchandise, the buying and selling...
When my daughter was little, it was about watching her face, her happiness.
So I'll enjoy the lights, sing the songs, and eat the food,
and try to share as much peace and joy as possible..
all year.

Hugs
Keeping the spirit of Christmas is what this thread is about as I know how difficult it be to keep that quiet peace when all around is going mad. I don't make a fuss or do much celebrating to be honest; we are quite happy to be on our own and have our lunch/dinner on our laps. But I do like to remember that it's all about Jesus.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl A good verse to think about: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." (John 1.14)
Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

I love that scripture.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Keeping the spirit of Christmas is what this thread is about as I know how difficult it be to keep that quiet peace when all around is going mad. I don't make a fuss or do much celebrating to be honest; we are quite happy to be on our own and have our lunch/dinner on our laps. But I do like to remember that it's all about Jesus.
@Pearl In some churches the custom is for the congregation to stand when at this time of the year they read John 1.1-14; while not strictly necessary, it shows an acknowledgement of just how central the Incarnation is to the faith.

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: These words are very apt:

"God of God, Light of Light,
Lo! he abhors not the Virgin’s womb;
Very God, Begotten not created

O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord."

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
PS: These words are very apt:

"God of God, Light of Light,
Lo! he abhors not the Virgin’s womb;
Very God, Begotten not created

O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord."
Oh come all ye faithful. A glorious carol.

Reactions: farouk

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas is about the Divine Christ Child who came as the greatest gift one could ever imagine! Amen.
For myself, I have pretty much spent my holidays at home with my dogs. Although, I will put some lights up this year as my niece is staying here with me now. We both understand the "reason for the season" lol.

Here is a song sung in French, one of my favorite Christmas songs.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I hope others will join in so that we can all remind each other that Christmas is about Jesus and not Santa or Father Christmas.
@Pearl Indeed, and I always think that many of the old carols sung at this season contain such a lot of truth which can still be used and blessed by the Spirit as the words come to mind.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I participate in the gift exchange with my children and grandchildren. Didn't put up decorations last year and I won't this year.
Our society has accomplished turning it into a retail business rather than celebrating Jesus.:(
A few years ago I was so looking forward to putting up and decorating my tree which was quite a posh one. It was a Saturday and I got it all up and looking pretty. On the Sunday morning I had this really weird feeling and didn't want to go down knowing the tree would be in my room. Eventually I did get up and before I'd even had a cuppa I took it all down and packed it up and offered it on a gifting site. It was gone by teatime. I don't know what it was but it felt really weird. For the last few years I have decorated a tree but much more low-key one.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Indeed, and I always think that many of the old carols sung at this season contain such a lot of truth which can still be used and blessed by the Spirit as the words come to mind.
I love singing the old carols. What is your favourite?

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I love singing the old carols. What is your favourite?
@Pearl Among my favorites are the words from 'O Little Town of Bethlehem':

"How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is giv'n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of his heav'n.
No ear may hear his coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him, still
The dear Christ enters in."