The reason for the season.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Among my favorites are the words from 'O Little Town of Bethlehem':

"How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is giv'n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of his heav'n.
No ear may hear his coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him, still
The dear Christ enters in."
Our Queen Elizabeth quoted that verse in her Christmas message a few years ago and drew attention to the last few lines. She always bring Jesus into her Christmas message. Her Majesty is a Christian lady.

Reactions: amadeus

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is this commercial someone posted on my Facebook a few years ago.
I just went and reposted it to keep it going..
We both enjoyed it so much, that if either of us posted something about feeling sad, we would just keep passing this back and forth.
AT&T commercial... But it made us smile.
Hugs

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Our Queen Elizabeth quoted that verse in her Christmas message a few years ago and drew attention to the last few lines. She always bring Jesus into her Christmas message. Her Majesty is a Christian lady.
@Pearl I love those words. Yes, the Queen is very earnest about her role in the Church of England; at her coronation The Queen was given a Bible with the words: 'These are the lively oracles of God; this is the royal law'.

Do you have a favourite carol?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I love those words. Yes, the Queen is very earnest about her role in the Church of England; at her coronation The Queen was given a Bible with the words: 'These are the lively oracles of God; this is the royal law'.

Do you have a favourite carol?
Oh farouk there are so many. I think the favourite has to be whichever I'm singing or listening to.

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Shopper’s Wonderland *

Cash tills ring, are you listening
In the malls tinsel’s glistening
A beautiful sight
To make you feel bright
Browsing in a shopper’s wonderland.

Gone away are your pences
But when you come to your senses
You’ll be sorry you bought
What you didn’t ought
While shopping in a shopper’s wonderland

In the New Year you will get a statement
That will have you falling to your knees
It says that you now owe us a fortune
And we’d like our money if you please.

Later on, we’ll perspire,
As we fret by the fire
’Cos we’re very afraid
Bad decisions were made,
Over spending in that lovely wonderland.

In the spring perhaps we can re-mortgage
To pay off all the money that we owe
We’ll have to keep a tight rein on our budget
Until we’ve really sorted our cash flow.

But come next November
We will not remember
The mess that we made
And the prayers that we prayed
After shopping in that shopper’s wonderland.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christmas Prayer of gratitude

"Father, all I have comes from You. I know joy because of Your love. I know grace because of Your forgiveness. I know peace, because of your promises. I know hope, because of your imminent return.
All I have, and all I am and have accomplished is because of You. Thank You for what you have done for me and humanity and what you continue to do in my life.
I stand in awe of Your blessings, firmly grounded in gratitude for the ways you care for me. I love You.
Thank you Lord"
David Jeremiah

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A Shopper’s Wonderland *

Cash tills ring, are you listening
In the malls tinsel’s glistening
A beautiful sight
To make you feel bright
Browsing in a shopper’s wonderland.

Gone away are your pences
But when you come to your senses
You’ll be sorry you bought
What you didn’t ought
While shopping in a shopper’s wonderland

In the New Year you will get a statement
That will have you falling to your knees
It says that you now owe us a fortune
And we’d like our money if you please.

Later on, we’ll perspire,
As we fret by the fire
’Cos we’re very afraid
Bad decisions were made,
Over spending in that lovely wonderland.

In the spring perhaps we can re-mortgage
To pay off all the money that we owe
We’ll have to keep a tight rein on our budget
Until we’ve really sorted our cash flow.

But come next November
We will not remember
The mess that we made
And the prayers that we prayed
After shopping in that shopper’s wonderland.
@Pearl I didn't know that one! :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

"Father, all I have comes from You. I know joy because of Your love. I know grace because of Your forgiveness. I know peace, because of your promises. I know hope, because of your imminent return.
All I have, and all I am and have accomplished is because of You. Thank You for what you have done for me and humanity and what you continue to do in my life.
I stand in awe of Your blessings, firmly grounded in gratitude for the ways you care for me. I love You.
Thank you Lord"
David Jeremiah
@Nancy I like the reference to the Imminent Return! :)

Good to keep looking up - Hebrews 12.2. In keeping with the verse Psalm 16.8 that @Pearl quotes.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Christmas is about the Divine Christ Child who came as the greatest gift one could ever imagine! Amen.
For myself, I have pretty much spent my holidays at home with my dogs. Although, I will put some lights up this year as my niece is staying here with me now. We both understand the "reason for the season" lol.

Here is a song sung in French, one of my favorite Christmas songs.

@Nancy I think I've heard a recording of one of the Oxford or Cambridge college chapel choirs singing that one...

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope others will join in so that we can all remind each other that Christmas is about Jesus and not Santa or Father Christmas.

True,.. but I don't think there's anything wrong with letting children fill joyful from receiving their gifts from Santa either. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you Lord"
David Jeremiah
Amen and amen.

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the 1st of December today and as we get nearer to Christmas I think it's easy to find our minds wandering from the spiritual to the worldly if we aren't careful. Every year I try not to get caught up in the pressure and stress of making Christmas 'perfect' but there always seems to a bit of that creeping in. This year because of lockdown it may be easier to keep the worldly things out.

To me it's important to keep the reason - Jesus - at the front of my mind as we get ready to celebrate the season.

Perhaps we might all share our thoughts about ways we can do that.
@Pearl what made me stop decorating was all the items that portrayed Santa Claus, elves, reindeer, and everything BUT Jesus...
I also discussed with my daughters that we are doing a serious injustice to our children by telling them Santa Claus is going to bring them presents....this is DECEPTION! Then when they become old enough and realize we lied it imprints a false spirit in their minds...in other words...we are teaching our kids to believe in a lie and that it's ok...
Same as the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy and any other holiday character.
STOP THE DECEPTION! Especially to children who are too young to know the difference.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose The chapter is talking about giving as a subject; and the Lord Jesus Himself is the best of gifts. This is also part of the deep thought of John 3.16: 'For God so loved the world that He gave....'

Okay that's what I thought actually. :)

Reactions: farouk

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl what made me stop decorating was all the items that portrayed Santa Claus, elves, reindeer, and everything BUT Jesus...
I also discussed with my daughters that we are doing a serious injustice to our children by telling them Santa Claus is going to bring them presents....this is DECEPTION! Then when they become old enough and realize we lied it imprints a false spirit in their minds...in other words...we are teaching our kids to believe in a lie and that it's ok...
Same as the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy and any other holiday character.
STOP THE DECEPTION! Especially to children who are too young to know the difference.

Some people may feel that way,.. but you'll read my thoughts on this matter in this thread.

Santa Claus