The Redemptive Power of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=14pt](John 8: 48-49) [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]“Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou are a Samaritan, and hast a devil?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonor me.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]It was harsh to be called a Samaritan. I think of all the degrading names we call other people today. Neighbors we refuse to been seen speaking to. Those we know very little about, yet, we refuse to take the time to get to know them. Jesus never shied away from being caught with those said to be shady or "unworthy". [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​(John 4:9) "Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt](Luke 17:11-17) "And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​Notice only one returned to glorify God. A Samaritan. And then let us not forget the good Samaritan; where we get an answer to the question "And who is my neighbor?" [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​(Luke 7:47) "Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Up until Jesus walked the earth, the Samaritan name was anything but good. It was disgrace to be called a Samaritan. A humiliation. Shameful. But today Samaritan is defined as “a charitable or helpful person.” [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]The Redemptive power of Christ can even redeem a name once frowned upon! What a King we have! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​It makes me think of the song I sang as a child:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​Jesus loves the little children [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]All the children of the world[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Red, brown, yellow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Black and white[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​They are precious in His sight.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Jesus loves the little children[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Of the world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​Jesus died for all the children[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Black and white[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]They are precious in His sight. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Jesus died for all the children[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Of the world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​Jesus rose for all the children[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Black and white[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]They are precious in His sight. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Jesus rose for all the children[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]​Of the world. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​At what age do children become prejudice? After the world programs them to be so? [/SIZE]

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus

I would ask you, just to clarify terms, what is wrong with being 'prejudice'?

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that depends on your definition of prejudice. My definition of prejudice would be a refusal to bend what I am accustomed to and step out of my comfort zone for another human being. There would be a misconceived notion, my judging that person by their outward appearance or their life circumstances only, resulting in my coming away with the notion that I am somehow superior. Prejudice would be developing a label before I get to know a person.

"what is wrong with being 'prejudice'?​" It strangles the gospel and who it is intended for...the outcast.

My refusal to bow and worship the pope could be considered prejudice, although I see it as having a conviction that I need no other intercessor other than Christ.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus

The word 'prejudice' in our racially charged societies today has become synonymous with racism. If one calls you prejudice they are simply calling you a racist.

Webster gives several definitions of the word 'prejudice'. The core definition I believe is 'to have a preconceived judgement or opinion'. This could concern something or someone. Just because this judgement is made before all known facts surrounding it are known, doesn't mean it is wrong. It could be. But it could also be right. It all depends on what it concerns.

A good example does involve the Samaritans also. Early in Christ's ministry when He was preaching the 'Gospel of the Kingdom', which I see as different than the 'Gospel of Grace' we preach today, He told His disciples to not go to the Samaritans. (Matt. 10:5) "These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" So a particular group of people are not to be given this Gospel. It is not for the Gentiles or Samaritans. Though the disciples hardly know all as to why, they certainly will believe and do what Christ said. Are they prejudiced in making the decision not to give this Gospel to the Samaritans. I think so. But they are not wrong.

Children will have prejudiced opinions depending on how they are taught and raised. It probably starts from day one. Whether they have been taught right or wrong will remain to be seen.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
VictoryinJesus

The word 'prejudice' in our racially charged societies today has become synonymous with racism. If one calls you prejudice they are simply calling you a racist.

Webster gives several definitions of the word 'prejudice'. The core definition I believe is 'to have a preconceived judgement or opinion'. This could concern something or someone. Just because this judgement is made before all known facts surrounding it are known, doesn't mean it is wrong. It could be. But it could also be right. It all depends on what it concerns.

A good example does involve the Samaritans also. Early in Christ's ministry when He was preaching the 'Gospel of the Kingdom', which I see as different than the 'Gospel of Grace' we preach today, He told His disciples to not go to the Samaritans. (Matt. 10:5) "These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" So a particular group of people are not to be given this Gospel. It is not for the Gentiles or Samaritans. Though the disciples hardly know all as to why, they certainly will believe and do what Christ said. Are they prejudiced in making the decision not to give this Gospel to the Samaritans. I think so. But they are not wrong.

Children will have prejudiced opinions depending on how they are taught and raised. It probably starts from day one. Whether they have been taught right or wrong will remain to be seen.

Stranger
I have read (Matt 10:5) and I get what you are saying. Who can predict God's ways? I believe there are two types of prejudice: One type of prejudice fulfils our will and plan. The other fulfills God's Will and ultimate purpose for mankind and our eternity with Christ. Yes, the Samaritans were first denied the gospel but God had already planned the gospel of grace before creation began, and He already knew the gospel of grace would be offered to the Samaritans also.

(Acts 10: 13) "And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." The bible is full of harsh topics and commands that, when taken out of context, people use as a weapon to prove God as being cruel or unjust or prejudice. As someone that has a bondage of fear; being able to see how profoundly God has a plan and is in total control of that plan has been a true blessing. I do not want a God that is flippant and concerned with pleasing and pacifying people because they want or need an explanation to follow...I want a God that created a plan for mankind and will see it through to its full completion. An all-knowing, powerful, omniscient, infinite, sovereign, faithful, Holy God; that is the God I want in control of my life. I think of the things that happen everyday that doesn't make sense, but then I see clear proof in His Word that God has eternity in mind and all things work for the good of those that love Him and I see there is nothing to question or fear. All things work for Him. So Stranger, I do not have a problem with any part of the bible that is prejudice...because I know God is a masterful planner. God's word doesn't offend me. People using God's word to accomplish their will does. What doesn't make sense today, will fulfill God's purposes tomorrow.

(Psalm 22: 16) "For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and feet."

(Matthew 15:26) "But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." Pain and oppression of a people brought about an offer of release from bondage. Pain and oppression of a people brought about an offer of grace and forgiveness. God fulfils His will, even down to Pharaoh's withholding of the straw for the bricks. (Exodus 5:12) "So the people were scattered abroad throughout all the land of Egypt to gather stubble instead of straw." God is good in every thing He does. The opposite of us.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus said:
I have read (Matt 10:5) and I get what you are saying. Who can predict God's ways? I believe there are two types of prejudice: One type of prejudice fulfils our will and plan. The other fulfills God's Will and ultimate purpose for mankind and our eternity with Christ. Yes, the Samaritans were first denied the gospel but God had already planned the gospel of grace before creation began, and He already knew the gospel of grace would be offered to the Samaritans also.

(Acts 10: 13) "And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." The bible is full of harsh topics and commands that, when taken out of context, people use as a weapon to prove God as being cruel or unjust or prejudice. As someone that has a bondage of fear; being able to see how profoundly God has a plan and is in total control of that plan has been a true blessing. I do not want a God that is flippant and concerned with pleasing and pacifying people because they want or need an explanation to follow...I want a God that created a plan for mankind and will see it through to its full completion. An all-knowing, powerful, omniscient, infinite, sovereign, faithful, Holy God; that is the God I want in control of my life. I think of the things that happen everyday that doesn't make sense, but then I see clear proof in His Word that God has eternity in mind and all things work for the good of those that love Him and I see there is nothing to question or fear. All things work for Him. So Stranger, I do not have a problem with any part of the bible that is prejudice...because I know God is a masterful planner. God's word doesn't offend me. People using God's word to accomplish their will does. What doesn't make sense today, will fulfill God's purposes tomorrow.

(Psalm 22: 16) "For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and feet."

(Matthew 15:26) "But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." Pain and oppression of a people brought about an offer of release from bondage. Pain and oppression of a people brought about an offer of grace and forgiveness. God fulfils His will, even down to Pharaoh's withholding of the straw for the bricks. (Exodus 5:12) "So the people were scattered abroad throughout all the land of Egypt to gather stubble instead of straw." God is good in every thing He does. The opposite of us.
I say with full assurance that the God you want is the God you have as given us in the Bible. Whatever He does is good. If He kills 3000, it is good. If He saves 3000, it is good. And behind all of His actions is love, whether He kills or saves.

Amen sister. (Gen.50:20) "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."

Stranger