The Religious Mind

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have read them your either independent baptist or apostolic

I'm sure you'll find out which in due process of time.

the law points to sin shows us what sin is.. but does not save any one

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Psalms 19:7 (kjv).

It is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ. Galatians 3:24-25. It shows us that we are sinners in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20). When faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. However, we retain the lessons that the schoolmaster taught us; and we also live by them.

The law of the Lord is written on the hearts and in the minds of all those who are under the new covenant (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16).

The love of the Lord is shed abroad in our hearts through the Holy Ghost (Romans 5:5), because of our faith in Christ (Galatians 3:14); which love is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6; Romans 8:4 (kjv)). It is not in word or in tongue only; but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18). It is also the bond of perfectness (Colossians 3:14).

If we bear the fruit of the Spirit (love), there is no law that will condemn our behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23). Therefore those of us who bear the fruit of the Spirit will be law-abiding citizens of the kingdom; although we do not achieve this by attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts.

There is a righteousness apart from the law; and yet the law and the prophets testify that it is righteousness indeed! (Romans 3:21).

Last edited:

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would be ashamed if I considered Christianity to be "religion."

Sorry to hear because Christianity is a Religion, actually the Religion. I never will understand the injudiciousness of people that can not accept standard definitions. The world has gone mad and many times I think evangelicals lead the charge.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would be ashamed if I considered Christianity to be "religion."

Willie,

In my reading of the NT, I don't find that James 1:27 (NIV) agrees with you: 'Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world'.

Oz

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie,

In my reading of the NT, I don't find that James 1:27 (NIV) agrees with you: 'Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world'.

Oz
What Is Religion?
...and the Problem of Defining Religion when the word religion is used in today's world byAustin Cline Many say the etymology of religion lies with the Latin word religare, which means "to tie, to bind." This seems to be favored on the assumption that it helps explain the power religion has to bind a person to a community, culture, course of action, ideology, etc. The Oxford English Dictionary points out, though, that the etymology of the word is doubtful. Earlier writers like Cicero connected the term with relegere, which means "to read over again" (perhaps to emphasize the ritualistic nature of religions?). the pope is religious atheists is a religion satan worship/ muslim etc .james says pure and undefiled religion . lets face it the world is religious --matthew 7 not everyone who says LORD LORD . Church maybe defined by world standards a religious center ..jesus called it a house of worship

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie,

Oz
As James should be read, religion is doing, not "being a member of" or "joining" some group with a specific name.

Reactions: Enoch111

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As James should be read, religion is doing, not "being a member of" or "joining" some group with a specific name.
Correct. James says that actions speak louder than words throughout his epistle.

Also we should note that Bible Christianity is constantly contrasted with *the Jews' religion* in the New Testament. That is because the inner reality of Christianity was absent.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What Is Religion?
...and the Problem of Defining Religion when the word religion is used in today's world byAustin Cline Many say the etymology of religion lies with the Latin word religare, which means "to tie, to bind." This seems to be favored on the assumption that it helps explain the power religion has to bind a person to a community, culture, course of action, ideology, etc. The Oxford English Dictionary points out, though, that the etymology of the word is doubtful. Earlier writers like Cicero connected the term with relegere, which means "to read over again" (perhaps to emphasize the ritualistic nature of religions?). the pope is religious atheists is a religion satan worship/ muslim etc .james says pure and undefiled religion . lets face it the world is religious --matthew 7 not everyone who says LORD LORD . Church maybe defined by world standards a religious center ..jesus called it a house of worship

Ezra,

What would you consider is the meaning of religion in James 1:27? The Oxford English Dictionary (now called Lexico.com) wasn't around to help James.

Oz

Last edited:

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry to hear because Christianity is a Religion, actually the Religion. I never will understand the injudiciousness of people that can not accept standard definitions. The world has gone mad and many times I think evangelicals lead the charge.

historyb,

So that I can better understand your comment, would you please share your understanding of the religion of Christianity when compared with, say, Buddhism? If Buddhism is a religion, what are the characteristics that make it so? Would you say that Christianity has similar characteristics? What would they be?

Why would you think some evangelicals do not want to be associated with Christianity being identified as religion?

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Therefore, would you say it's not so bad identifying Christianity with religion as long as we understand it means 'pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father' to include 'caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you' (James 1:27 NLT).

What would you and other posters consider are the means necessary to practise this 'pure and genuine religion' by not letting the world corrupt us?

In practical terms: I am challenged in knowing how to do that as I live in a very secular country where media, mates and education inundate me with messages that are very worldly (i.e. anti-God, blaspheming Jesus' name, gambling madness, sexualised advertising, etc).

Oz

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In practical terms: I am challenged in knowing how to do that as I live in a very secular country...
If freedom of speech is still a reality in Australia, then the best thing to do would be to join with like-minded Christians and use a Christian TV network, where unvarnished Bible truth and Gospel truth is presented (with no appeals for finances). There are several Christian TV channels in Australia.

Christian Tv Channels Australia

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore, would you say it's not so bad identifying Christianity with religion as long as we understand it means 'pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father' to include 'caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you' (James 1:27 NLT).

What would you and other posters consider are the means necessary to practise this 'pure and genuine religion' by not letting the world corrupt us?

In practical terms: I am challenged in knowing how to do that as I live in a very secular country where media, mates and education inundate me with messages that are very worldly (i.e. anti-God, blaspheming Jesus' name, gambling madness, sexualised advertising, etc).

Oz
Quite frankly, I would suggest one small book to you for that answer..... Love Does, by: Bob Goff.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If freedom of speech is still a reality in Australia, then the best thing to do would be to join with like-minded Christians and use a Christian TV network, where unvarnished Bible truth and Gospel truth is presented (with no appeals for finances). There are several Christian TV channels in Australia.

Christian Tv Channels Australia

They are not free to air as a satellite dish needs to be installed to receive the signals. Vision Christian Radio has a network of very low powered stations across Australia. They have little reach before one has to switch to another frequency.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
historyb,

So that I can better understand your comment, would you please share your understanding of the religion of Christianity when compared with, say, Buddhism? If Buddhism is a religion, what are the characteristics that make it so? Would you say that Christianity has similar characteristics? What would they be?

Why would you think some evangelicals do not want to be associated with Christianity being identified as religion?

Oz

Religion:

: the service and worship of God or the supernatural
: commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Definition of RELIGION

Christianity is the true religion as opposed to all others.

Oz

They are lovers of themselves and heresy. I would say that most evangelicals dabble in material heresy without knowing it. Beyond that I absolutely hate when the world system tries to define something through political correctness and now some evangelicals are no better than the world system when they try to refine Christianity

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezra,

What would you consider is the meaning of religion in James 1:27? The Oxford English Dictionary (now called Lexico.com) wasn't around to help James.

Oz
i am well aware of what james is talking about which is a service to do /actions.. salvation is not religion being born again is not religion its a relationship even a church service is not religion its worship to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, >and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. its action being doer of the word . its like when i had a colonoscopy o the joy... lol pre admitanced asked me religious preference ..i told them forgiven ...the pope does a religious ceremony

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen help me understand the term charismatic Episcopal church .. I LIKE TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND VARIOUS DENOMS ,this one i don't know much about

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that most evangelicals dabble in material heresy without knowing it. Beyond that I absolutely hate when the world system tries to define something through political correctness and now some evangelicals are no better than the world system when they try to refine Christianity
you dont like evangelicals ??/

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen help me understand the term charismatic Episcopal church .. I LIKE TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND VARIOUS DENOMS ,this one i don't know much about

Ezra,

We have them here in Australia but are known as charismatic Anglicans. They are evangelical and believe in and continue to practice the full range of the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Cor 12-14.

When I was a pastor in Canberra (the ACT) in the early 1990s, I sometimes preached at a charismatic Anglican church in that diocese. The rector eventually took up a position on the theological faculty at a Pentecostal Bible College in Sydney. He assisted charismatic Anglican churches in the Sydney diocese, which has a strong reputation for being evangelical.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Religion:

: the service and worship of God or the supernatural
: commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Definition of RELIGION

Christianity is the true religion as opposed to all others.

They are lovers of themselves and heresy. I would say that most evangelicals dabble in material heresy without knowing it. Beyond that I absolutely hate when the world system tries to define something through political correctness and now some evangelicals are no better than the world system when they try to refine Christianity

What is 'material heresy'?

How are evangelicals redefining the world's system? Could you please give specific examples?