The Rise of Individualism in the Church: Both Liberal and Conservative

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2013/05/08/3754700.htm

I'd like to draw your attention to a couple key quotes, but definitely read this article when you have the time!

What is more significant about the results of Woodhead's survey is the fact that this "nominal" demographic - along with another 12% of the "Church-going mainstream" - report that, after consulting with religious authorities and traditions, they "make up their own minds" on matters of belief and morality. Here we get to the heart of the challenge confronting not only liberal Christianity, but also evangelicals and neo-Pentecostals: modern individualism. Increasingly, Christians (liberal or otherwise) believe that they have the right to decide for themselves what they will or won't believe, and whether they will or won't show up for a worship service. For many, identifying one's identity as "Christian" does not necessarily commit oneself to a particular belief or practice.

David Martin offers a similar interpretation, arguing that Pentecostalism "enable marginal people to divest themselves of backward and dissolute stereotypes and leap over the local national environment and embrace global modernity." In short, Pentecostalism is understood as promoting individualism and the reinvention of past traditions on the basis of individual needs

This emerging scholarly consensus on this movement is not unlike Max Weber's interpretation of the rise of Calvinism, which, with its "Protestant Work Ethic," fueled the Industrial Revolution. Leaving criticisms of Weber's thesis aside, if there is anything to the linkage that scholars are identifying between Pentecostalism and global modernity, then the concerns about the weaknesses of liberal Christianity have come full circle.

I respect and admire many elements of both Pentecostalism and Calvinism. (I know it sinks some ships for me to actually make that statement.) However, I think there is something to the history where the New England states were strongly influenced by Calvinism and then later became burned-over districts and Unitarian strongholds. (The great historical irony here is that a very similar charge is frequently leveled at Pentecostals by Calvinists when it comes to the perceived problem of Pentecostals being much too into emotionalism, etc.)

I also think there is something to the argument that Conservative Christianity has its own idols (as does Liberal Christianity) and that all of this is a result of focusing more on preferences and beliefs over and above the One who the entire faith is about.

Any thoughts? Please let's get away from bashing the other guy, if that's your thing, then this topic is probably not the best place for you to post.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In his book Rediscovering Catholicism Matthew Kelly refers to the three great deceptive philosophies of the modern age – Individualism, Minimalism and Materialism

He says Individualism as one of the most disturbing philosophies of our modern age. It is characterised by a “what’s in it for me” mentality.

In Christianity it is a privatisation of Christianity. It’s egocentric not Christcentric It reduces Christianity to a “personal relationship with Christ”. It’s about “my personal interpretation of scripture”. Salvation is just something personal not something we strive for in conjunction with others. Yes I do think that this philosophy has infected many strands of Christianity.

Reactions: day

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Christianity's essence is individuality; there is no such thing as corporate salvation.

These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 1 John 2:26-27

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
Mungo said:
In his book Rediscovering Catholicism Matthew Kelly refers to the three great deceptive philosophies of the modern age – Individualism, Minimalism and Materialism

He says Individualism as one of the most disturbing philosophies of our modern age. It is characterised by a “what’s in it for me” mentality.

In Christianity it is a privatisation of Christianity. It’s egocentric not Christcentric It reduces Christianity to a “personal relationship with Christ”. It’s about “my personal interpretation of scripture”. Salvation is just something personal not something we strive for in conjunction with others. Yes I do think that this philosophy has infected many strands of Christianity.
In our neoprotestant churches, everyone is his own church with his own doctrine. Preaches avoid substance lest they step on someone's private doctrine. But, the Catholic Church was growing increasingly away from the Bible and it was just a matter of time before it would crack. And, crack and split it did, giving birth to the Protestant Reformation which in turn descended into our neoprotestantism.

"Personal relationship with Christ" is the ultimate of individualism. "Just me and Jesus, and I decide for myself who Jesus is. To Hell with the Bible. To Hell with the apostles, teachers, and pastors. To Hell with 2000 years of Christian culture and thought. That's religion, and my Jesus hates religion. But, he's pretty cool with the TV shows I like and my plans for divorce."

Reactions: day

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
interesting topic. i used to see the rise of individualism as a natural result of protestantism - then i looked further back in history. the black plague and the catholic churches inability to stop people from dying seems to a starting place. it led to the peasant riots and the rennasiance, which led to protestantism and the enlightenment. the rise of secularism and modernism where a natural result.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Christianity's essence is individuality; there is no such thing as corporate salvation.

These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 1 John 2:26-27

Whilst Christ calls individuals, yet we are referred to as living stones that make up the temple of God. Paul the apostle said, that there is one spirit but diversity of function. He used the example of a body to imply that whilst their are individual persons(functions) we are in need of working together in harmony. The individual that is called of Christ isn't called to be a maverick or a co-dependant but rather constructively work together to build up the whole- interdependent if you will. This allows for individuality and corporate function as well.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

This, I have always understood as I ponder on these thoughts. Adding to the understanding also, that we stand alone when having to render an account before the throne of God at the end of our life time.
JB_
Whilst Christ calls individuals, yet we are referred to as living stones that make up the temple of God. Paul the apostle said, that there is one spirit but diversity of function. He used the example of a body to imply that whilst their are individual persons(functions) we are in need of working together in harmony. The individual that is called of Christ isn't called to be a maverick or a co-dependant but rather constructively work together to build up the whole- interdependent if you will. This allows for individuality and corporate function as well.
This I agree with also....

Here we get to the heart of the challenge confronting not only liberal Christianity, but also evangelicals and neo-Pentecostals: modern individualism. Increasingly, Christians (liberal or otherwise) believe that they have the right to decide for themselves what they will or won't believe, and whether they will or won't show up for a worship service. For many, identifying one's identity as "Christian" does not necessarily commit oneself to a particular belief or practice.
Perhaps if the King did not have a bible, made available to the masses [due to his contending with the RCC]...we may still be under a worldwide Church system and perhaps we would not know the God of the bible that we know right now.

On a personal level - When deciding to move from a Baptist community into a Pentecostal environment, I had noted a similar pattern which seems to filter right across the denominational board. Pastors and leaders do not necessarily hold their position for more than one to two years before moving on to another congregation or another Church, which does not bring a sense of stability to a church family in general. Since they are capable of making such decisions based on Church policy or for opportunity to minister to a larger congregation, it is not surprising that their parishioners tend to follow suit. Commitment is a double-sided coin.

Blessings!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Angelina said:
This, I have always understood as I ponder on these thoughts. Adding to the understanding also, that we stand alone when having to render an account before the throne of God at the end of our life time.
JB_

This I agree with also....

Perhaps if the King did not have a bible, made available to the masses [due to his contending with the RCC]...we may still be under a worldwide Church system and perhaps we would not know the God of the bible that we know right now.

On a personal level - When deciding to move from a Baptist community into a Pentecostal environment, I had noted a similar pattern which seems to filter right across the denominational board. Pastors and leaders do not necessarily hold their position for more than one to two years before moving on to another congregation or another Church, which does not bring a sense of stability to a church family in general. Since they are capable of making such decisions based on Church policy or for opportunity to minister to a larger congregation, it is not surprising that their parishioners tend to follow suit. Commitment is a double-sided coin.

Blessings!
Extremely important observation. To me personally it's quite distressing to see such things. The church of Christ as I understand it, is a theocracy and NOT a democracy. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Baptist Church are more democratic in their processes than the Pentecostal Church, as members have more say in the running of their local Church and they are able to vote to have their pastor removed from office if they so desire....

Members of the Pentecostal Church cannot, as they are more theocratic in their modus operandi. Pentecostal Pastors are accountable to an executive council. This makes grievances difficult to deal with If they arise between Pastor and another member. Such grievances can only be addressed at a higher level. If the Pastor chooses not to bring these grievances before the council, then they are never dealt with.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, thanks to you all for the quality of discussion in this thread - it speaks to the faith in Jesus and the intelligence that you all bring. Please accept my compliment because I believe both faith and reason to be gifts designed by God, and although we may get frustrated with some of the discussion here from time to time, it's topics like these that reflect on why CyB started.

I would agree with all three of those deceptive philosophies. I'd even go so far as to say that where there is one, there is generally another.

It's interesting that this is affecting both Catholics and Protestants. In the Protestant world, you see this hidden behind no creed statements and other catchphrases that are essentially code words for "it's my interpretation or the highway!" In Catholicism this seems to result in cultural Catholics or nominal Catholics who may attend church (even often attend church), but their views do not line up with the Magesterium on some or many issues.

It's definitely egocentric. I don't believe that it necessarily emerged out of people simply wanting to be egocentric, but I see history as painting a picture of very godly men and women who wanted to reform (both within and without the original church), but that these simple reforms were taken to the extreme. In the Protestant world, the Reformers kept a number of traditions, it was not a total rebellion against all tradition whatsoever, but specifically against what the Reformers viewed as extra-Biblical within the church. The Catholics have Vatican II as an example of the same thing occurring, though it stayed within the denomination/church versus splitting.

Well, you are correct in one sense, but what you state also differs from individualism where it revolves around who I am and what I believe. Most commonly, this is couched in the language of being led by the Spirit or experiencing some other divine revelation. We have members on this very forum that claim divine instruction in virtually every single post they make, as if God spoke to them this AM, and then proceed to come up with some vague metaphor or doctrine that has never been taught as truth anywhere.

Therefore, I am not saved because my wife is saved, for instance, but at the same time, the Bible does say:

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." (Acts 16:31)

I've had this discussion with family and friends, but God designed Christianity to be very organic. Rarely do we see Pauls struck down on the Damascus Road. Often, do we see men and women come to Christ because of the lives of the saints (all Christians) or the preaching/teaching thereof. God designed it that way, and thus we have the Great Commission. Christianity spreads through activity, and that means fellowship with other believers and other people. That's why households tended to get saved, because if the head (or even a lower person within the family) was saved, then his example would shine to the remainder of the family. That's why we have churches and assemblies of Christians, be it a house church or mega-church.

Unfortunately, individualism totally ignores the body metaphor and it let's the hand think he doesn't need the foot or anything else. It tends to create a very militant faith in the Conservative realm, and you see it explode when he or she comes on a forum like CyB where ideas are challenged. People bristle when you don't agree, and then suddenly you're shouted down as not being saved and called a devil or demon (or two).

In our neoprotestant churches, everyone is his own church with his own doctrine. Preaches avoid substance lest they step on someone's private doctrine. But, the Catholic Church was growing increasingly away from the Bible and it was just a matter of time before it would crack. And, crack and split it did, giving birth to the Protestant Reformation which in turn descended into our neoprotestantism.
I agree with much you say, but even the nobody but Jesus sentiment can be hijacked by individualism. (Certainly no suggestion that you are individualistic!) The problem is that the creeds and other forms of catechism and tools has been taken out of the way, and it's served only to accelerate the demise of Biblical Christianity. What you're describing is summed up in the "No Creed but the Bible" type churches and movements, yet these clearly span the spectrum and differ mightily in doctrine.

Jesus does need to be first and foremost, but that's a claim always made by every side.

interesting topic. i used to see the rise of individualism as a natural result of protestantism - then i looked further back in history. the black plague and the catholic churches inability to stop people from dying seems to a starting place. it led to the peasant riots and the rennasiance, which led to protestantism and the enlightenment. the rise of secularism and modernism where a natural result.
Yeah, I saw the same for a very short period of time. I think the rugged individualism goes back further, but it really flourished with the dawn of the Enlightenment. It may have taken a little longer to root in the Catholic Church, but both churches now deal with it and it's a plague. In many ways it was a response to the Catholic Church's inability to provide, both during sickness and then the Papal indulgences, etc., but I believe it still goes even deeper than that.

Generally well stated and I don't have much of anything to add, with the exception of my respect for the post. :)

Excellent thought. We have the Methodists here who operate on a circuit where Pastors must move every so many years. I'm not against a Pastor being in a location for his life if he preaches the Word of God and remains faithful. Just like with the congregation, there are so many flavors. If things get a little difficult, you can move to the next one which might offer a more receptive audience.

Extremely important observation. To me personally it's quite distressing to see such things. The church of Christ as I understand it, is a theocracy and NOT a democracy.
Yes, yes. This is a western-world issue, but we've equated democracy with Godly government. Christ is the head. You could make a very strong case for a theocratic dictatorship, but that just sounds so anti-freedom if you don't know better. (I Corinthians 7:22)

The Baptist Church are more democratic in their processes than the Pentecostal Church, as members have more say in the running of their local Church and they are able to vote to have their pastor removed from office if they so desire....

Members of the Pentecostal Church cannot, as they are more theocratic in their modus operandi. Pentecostal Pastors are accountable to an executive council. This makes grievances difficult to deal with If they arise between Pastor and another member. Such grievances can only be addressed at a higher level. If the Pastor chooses not to bring these grievances before the council, then they are never dealt with.
I saw an illustration of your statement just last week. I watched an SBC (Southern Baptist Church - largest US Protestant denom) Pastor get up at a Denomination Association meeting and preach that the deity was fully emptied from Jesus before he died. Folks that's called Arianism, and all three major strands of the Christianity faith (Protestants, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox) all agree on this issue, yet this man will return to his country church and continue to preach out-and-out heresy. In contrast, one man spoke up that he used a "prayer language" only to pray and talk to God, and he was subsequently fired from his position within the Association.

Now if I am looking at issues, and suppose I don't believe in tongues the way some interpret them (not saying either way, let's not debate that here). Still, which sin is the more egregious? I must reply the former, because what a man prays to God is between him and God, but this other man is teaching a congregation.

In the SBC, what is taught from church to church - in the very same denomination - can teach whatever they will. Obviously, if it gets bad enough and enough people hear about it, they can and are kicked out, but still, that's a major heresy that goes unchallenged. I am a Baptist for a reason, but this greatly frustrates me.

SBC churches (not all!) definitely are infected with individualism. I used to think it was a symptom of just church government, but I think there is more at stake and church government is just a piece of the whole. I do not intend to demean any Pentecostal churches, because I've seen some much more faithful and doctrinally correct than that SBC church, for sure.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
HammerStone said:

Well, you are correct in one sense, but what you state also differs from individualism where it revolves around who I am and what I believe. Most commonly, this is couched in the language of being led by the Spirit or experiencing some other divine revelation. We have members on this very forum that claim divine instruction in virtually every single post they make, as if God spoke to them this AM, and then proceed to come up with some vague metaphor or doctrine that has never been taught as truth anywhere.
Therefore, I am not saved because my wife is saved, for instance, but at the same time, the Bible does say:
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." (Acts 16:31)
I've had this discussion with family and friends, but God designed Christianity to be very organic. Rarely do we see Pauls struck down on the Damascus Road. Often, do we see men and women come to Christ because of the lives of the saints (all Christians) or the preaching/teaching thereof. God designed it that way, and thus we have the Great Commission. Christianity spreads through activity, and that means fellowship with other believers and other people. That's why households tended to get saved, because if the head (or even a lower person within the family) was saved, then his example would shine to the remainder of the family. That's why we have churches and assemblies of Christians, be it a house church or mega-church.
Unfortunately, individualism totally ignores the body metaphor and it let's the hand think he doesn't need the foot or anything else. It tends to create a very militant faith in the Conservative realm, and you see it explode when he or she comes on a forum like CyB where ideas are challenged. People bristle when you don't agree, and then suddenly you're shouted down as not being saved and called a devil or demon (or two).
I'm not denying the organic, or corporate, aspects of Christianity. That is how we practice and sharpen our faith. We need each other.

However, truth itself is not defined by what the corporate body believes. It is defined by what numerous men throughout the ages have written as guided by the spirit, and what that same spirit now witnesses to the heart and mind regarding those writings. Corporate beliefs may align with truth, and all do to greater and lesser extents. However, when truth and corporate beliefs do not align, every believer has the freedom (no, the mandate) to follow the truth. That is the entirely individualistic nature of the faith. Some think there is safety in numbers; some think safety is following the truth even when that places them at odds with the numbers. Roll the dice and take your chances.

Salvation is an extremely personal issue that each person must work out individually with GOD. We are saved into a corporate body (spiritually speaking), but we are not saved as a body. We are saved as individuals; and each individual bears the responsibility for that salvation, not any church.

The problem I see with the prevalent corporate church paradigm is that church leaders don't honor and nurture this characteristic of the faith. They should only focus on the essentials, and leave people alone to deal with the non-essentials. But churches don't do this; they feel authorized to control everything. That is the primary problem, not individualism (in the sense I've described it), and is what drives many truth-seeking persons away from a fuller corporate experience that is rightfully theirs and makes them reluctantly have to deal with a more individualistic walk.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
HammerStone said:
What you're describing is summed up in the "No Creed but the Bible" type churches and movements, yet these clearly span the spectrum and differ mightily in doctrine. ...

I watched an SBC (Southern Baptist Church - largest US Protestant denom) Pastor get up at a Denomination Association meeting and preach that the deity was fully emptied from Jesus before he died. Folks that's called Arianism, and all three major strands of the Christianity faith (Protestants, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox) all agree on this issue, yet this man will return to his country church and continue to preach out-and-out heresy. In contrast, one man spoke up that he used a "prayer language" only to pray and talk to God, and he was subsequently fired from his position within the Association.
"No Creed by the Bible", scripture only is typical of Protestantism and it doesn't mean individualism. Older denominations of Protestant churches have large catechisms which the members, and especially the leaders, agree to. They aren't Creeds, but they represent the denomination's beliefs on what the Bible teaches.

Individualism is when people ignore the wisdom, education, and discernment of the saints over 2000 years of Christian history and arrive at their own doctrines by their own personal devices (which always involves the influence of how the wind is blowing), in spite of their often gross ignorance of the contents of the Bible (especially in untranslated form).

As for the SBC speaker who said Jesus was emptied of God on the cross, that sounds like the popular doctrine that God turned his back on Jesus on the cross because Jesus took on the sin of the world and God can't look upon sin. I doubt half the SBC leaders there have a clue what is "Arianism". These days, seminary appears to be optional for preachers.

As for the SBC speaker who used a "prayer language", by doing so, he was expressing doctrine that is well-known to be contrary to the SBC's beliefs.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Angelina said:

It was only today that a neighbour - he is a pentecostal pastor/missionary & bible college teacher- was saying he was invited to be pastor of a non-denominational church where we live. BUT he rejected it on the basis that it was run by a committee and not a board of elders(spiritual authority) and therefore had no authority to hire or fire, which would include dealing with grievances against the pastor.

As he said the committee could regulate general affairs of the church but not spiritual matters, such as complaints or disciplinary action persay etc.

Go figure. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It was only today that a neighbour - he is a pentecostal pastor/missionary & bible college teacher- was saying he was invited to be pastor of a non-denominational church where we live. BUT he rejected it on the basis that it was run by a committee and not a board of elders(spiritual authority) and therefore had no authority to hire or fire, which would include dealing with grievances against the pastor.

As he said the committee could regulate general affairs of the church but not spiritual matters, such as complaints or disciplinary action persay etc.
Sounds like a pastoral care-team made up of elders and leaders of the Church. Their purpose would be for the general running of the Church and care of the Pastor and yes, they have no authority over other matters. Discipline is not given out on a grassroots Church level...nor is hiring and firing.

Depending on the seriousness of the situation, the Pastor would be able to bring any spiritual matter of concern or grievances before a regional overseer, [if they have one] appointed by or with the general approval of the executive council [board] for consideration. The Pastor however, is accountable to the executive council or board [higher level] on all matters pertaining to the Church. He may have also found that the Church finances are not his to administer as he chooses as well...

The Church you are referring to may not run the same way as other Pentecostal Churches so I'm unsure why the committee did not bring him before the "Executive" first before offering him the position.

Pentecostal Churches may seem unorthodox to some and even a little OTT but they are actually quite traditional in their structure, following along the lines of the Jethro principle of leadership.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Angelina said:
Pentecostal Churches may seem unorthodox to some and even a little OTT but they are actually quite traditional in their structure, following along the lines of the Jethro principle of leadership.
Jethro as in the father-in-law of Moses?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, I would say no creed but the Bible is not the same thing as sola scriptura. I think the early Reformers would be rather appalled at the notion of no creed but the Bible once they looked deeper into it. The premise is not bad unto its own, but the problem is that no creed but the Bible is simply code for my interpretation (or my particular group's interpretation).

Sola scriptura, on the other hand, translates to English as "scripture alone" as in scripture alone as the sole authority. (For what it's worth, that's the reason that there were 5 sola's.) This differs from the notion of no creed but the Bible because Scripture alone allows for creeds and other tradition to be constructed underneath the guidance of scripture. What that translates to is that men can come together, hammer our a creed within the faith of the church, and create a guiding light for understanding God that is entirely scriptural.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

The true essence of Christianity, the cross, has been totally lost in all regards.

The method of participation in salvation has changed - as recorded in the Bible.

In the Old Testament, corporate salvation was the rule. If you wanted to be saved, you had to become a Hebrew or a Jew (depending upon pre or post Solomon). The question is often raised by Christians and non-Christians alike these days; how did a man get saved before the time of Jesus? The answer is written boldly in the OT - join the tribe(s) to be saved. But this form was always intended by God to be temporary.

In the New Testament, salvation broadened to the gentiles as recorded in the pages of the New Testament. The principle difference in the method of delivery of this salvation forms the argument between the proponents of John Calvin on one side and Jacobus Arminius on the other. It should be noted that with regard to every single other aspect of the gospel both Calvin and Arminius agreed with one another.

But the principle focus of Christianity is not the individual, its the cross. If you find your 'self', Jesus said, you'll lose your 'self'. If you lose your 'self' for Christ's sake and the gospel, you'll find your 'self' again. It isn't just a banter of words to confuse the listener or reader, it has sound basis in history. In other words, Jesus is saying that the realization of the true self is only discovered when one forgets their selfish dispositions and becomes devoted to a higher purpose.

The cross isn't simply a piece of jewelry or a decoration on a church wall. The cross is a call to selfLESSness for the sake of Jesus and the gospel. The flower of individuality does not blossom until a man is buried in the gospel.

In the end, it isn't individuality that's the focus of the gospel, it's the cross - first, last and always. In the midst of a hedonistic generation the concept of selfless devotion to anything - except militarism - is a lost art.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Reactions: HammerStone

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Leon McBeth, distinguished professor of church history at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. "A creed excludes, and a confession includes. A creed tells you what you must believe, and a confession affirms what you do believe."
___McBeth's view is countered by Greg Wills, assistant professor of church history at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
___"Throughout Baptist history, Baptists have used the terms 'creed,' 'confession of faith,' 'articles of faith,' 'summary of doctrines' and 'abstract of principles' synonymously," Wills said. "You find all those terms or phrases used to describe a summary of doctrine."
___Others draw a line down the middle to assert that the difference between a confession of faith and a creed has more to do with how a document is used than with what it's called.
___"A confession and a creed can be worded exactly the same way. The thing that determines whether it's a confession or a creed is how it's used," said Charles Deweese, director of the Southern Baptist Historical Society.
___"A confession is a document to which there is a voluntary response," he added. "A creed is a statement of belief which is in a sense forced on a body--there is an attempt to achieve a level of uniformity or conformity."
http://assets.baptiststandard.com/archived/2000/6_26/pages/confessions.html

We follow a Confession/ Statement of Faith. :) The Pentecostal movement I am referring to, did not come out of the Azusa street revival of 1906 which made a massive impact in the US but from the Welsh revival of 1904. The US movement may differ considerably...I am not sure.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
In the Old Testament, corporate salvation was the rule. If you wanted to be saved, you had to become a Hebrew or a Jew (depending upon pre or post Solomon). The question is often raised by Christians and non-Christians alike these days; how did a man get saved before the time of Jesus? The answer is written boldly in the OT - join the tribe(s) to be saved. But this form was always intended by God to be temporary.
The implication of the disbandment of the kingdom of Israel is that tribal membership provided no salvation. The implication of the Israelites dieing in the desert is that tribal membership provides no salvation. The implication of Ishmael being turned away and Esau being hated is that tribal membership provided no salvation. What is true by implication in the Old Testament is explicit in the New Testament, tribal membership provides no salvation.

The source of salvation has never changed: faith in God, either looking forward to Christ or backward to Christ.