The Sabbath Day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please forgive me if I have missed it over the years, but I haven't seen any response from the anti sabbatarians concerning one interesting, even remarkable thing one doesn't see anywhere in the book of Acts, that being the glaring lack of any dispute, controversy, argument, debate, accusation or charges being laid by the Jewish religionists against all the evil Sabbath breakers/Sunday keepers in the new religion.

After 1500 years since the law given at Sinai, the Jewish nation, despite an on and off again relationship with the Sabbath, absolutely recognized the special nature of the Commandment and the practise, were cognizant of the importance the Sabbath to both the nation and it's King. They made this abundantly clear in two ways... First...The determination after the captivity in Babylon to never again forget the Sabbath, adding many additional requirements to the commandment to ensure its strict observance and

Second... the manner in which they attacked Jesus over it's observance while He was alive.
Yet here comes another religion claiming a relationship with the same God as Israel, worshipped the hated Jesus, and according to modem Christians, those early Jewish Christians were ignoring the Sabbath, observing a completely different day, without any comment or objection from any quarter.
The Jewish Christians had no remarks to make concerning the abandonment of the Sabbath...
The legalists who wanted everyone circumcised had no issue with Sunday keeping...
And the Jews themselves who hatred Christians and their recently bereaved Leader, said nothing. Nothing. Nothing at all!!!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO! We now are under THE New Covenant the one and only and eternal, New Covenant of God's Grace through Jesus Christ, THE SAME Covenant every and all saints in the past ARE SAVED UNDER AND BY AS NOW AT PRESENT AS FROM NOW IN THE FUTURE.

O I am getting so tired, Lord? Please come Lord Jesus, come quickly

Yes sir, that is very true, went into force on Pentecost of the year 33 CE

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5056 ‭τέλος‭ telos ‭tel’-os‭

‭‭from a primary tello (to set out for a definite point or goal); n n; TDNT- 8:49,1161; ‭ ‭{See TDNT 785}‭

‭‭AV-end 35, custom 3, uttermost 1, finally 1, ending 1, by (one’s) continual +‭ 1519‭ 1; 42‭

‭‭1) end‭
‭‭ 1a) termination, the limit at which a thing ceases to be (always of the end of some act or state, but not of the end of a period of time)‭
‭‭ 1b) the end‭
‭‭ 1b1) the last in any succession or series‭
‭‭ 1b2) eternal‭
‭‭ 1c) that by which a thing is finished, its close, issue‭
‭‭ 1d) the end to which all things relate, the aim, purpose‭
‭‭2) toll, custom (i.e. indirect tax on goods)‭

I guess you can choose whatever you like as the meaning to the word 'end'. So the law has ended. God no longer has any standard of morality by which to judge mankind. Mankind now has no standard to which he can look to in order to aspire to. The government of God no longer has a law by which to rule the Kingdom. And because there is no law, therefore there can be no sin. And because love is the fulfilling of the law, and the foundation upon which the law operated, I guess that means love had no means by which it can be defined and expressed other than through emotion and sex.
But it's just coincidence I guess that the world that knows not God, and the only vehicle through which God had chosen to teach the world from His word, the church, teaches that same world, confusion, hypocrisy, unbelief, a God who relishes torture for ever and does away with any standard of righteousness for the church, but condemns the unbeliever for transgressing that standard. Little wonder the final confederation of apostate churches is called Babylon... Confusion. Most here are teaching her doctrines.

You are sadly mistaken if you believe that Christians are not under any laws Brake.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no “Type 2 Works Salvation” mentioned in the Bible. That is either your invented theological term or a term you borrowed that does not exist in Scripture. For one, this term is not descriptively accurate to what I actually believe the Bible teaches. So again, your term is falsely accusing me of something I don't actually believe. I don't believe in Works Salvationism (Which implies Works ALONE Salvationism without God's grace). As I told you before, I believe we are saved by both God's grace and Sanctification (Which includes works, putting away sin, and holy living).
"Type 2 works salvation" is a term that describes exactly what you teach. You believe we are saved by grace through faith AND WORKS. Period. You said it yourself - "saved by BOTH God's grace AND sanctification WHICH INCLUDES WORKS." So how many works does it take, how much sin must you put away and how much holy living must you produce and 'ADD' as a supplement to Christ's finished work of redemption in oder to help Christ save you?

Also, when the Bible talks about faith alone, it actually refutes your false belief in that salvation is through faith (belief) alone in Christ because James 2:24 says,

“You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.” (James 2:24) (BLB).
The same word justified is used for both faith and works.

full
Not at all. James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

In the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the Greek word for justified "dikaioo" #1344 is:

1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

In Matthew 12:37, we read - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is because our words (and our works) reveal the condition of our hearts. Words/works are evidences for, or against a man being in a state of righteousness.

God is said to have been justified by those who were baptized by John the Baptist (Luke 7:29). This act pronounced or declared God to be righteous. It did not make him righteous. The basis or ground for the pronouncement was the fact that God IS righteous. Notice that the NIV reads, "acknowledged that God's way was right.." The ESV reads, "they declared God just.." This is the sense in which God was "justified." He was shown to be righteous.

Matthew 11:19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified/vindicated/shown to be right by her deeds."

James 2:21 - Was not Abraham our father "justified by works" when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? In James 2:21, notice closely that James does not say that Abraham's work of offering up Isaac resulted in God's accounting Abraham as righteous. The accounting of Abraham's faith as righteousness was made in Genesis 15:6, many years before his work of offering up Isaac recorded in Genesis 22. The work of Abraham did not have some kind of intrinsic merit to account him as righteous, but it showed or manifested the genuineness of his faith. This is the "sense" in which Abraham was "justified by works." He was shown to be righteous.

Romans 4:2 - For if Abraham was justified (accounted as righteous) by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it (faith, not works) was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

If "justified by works" meant "accounted as righteous" by works in James 2:24, then we have a contradiction here and there are no contradictions in God's word. This is why it's so critical that we properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine.

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple! Too simple!

Yes it is, dear sir. As I told you before, Galatians 5:24 says they that are Christ's have crucified the affections and lusts, and 1 Peter 4:1-2 talks about how he (the believer) should live the rest of his time not to the will of the flesh, but to the will of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 says let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh perfecting holiness in the fear of God. You don't believe these verses in what they plainly say. You believe you must always sin this side of Heaven (Which is a justification of sin, darkness, and evil).
I believe those verses. I just don't believe your biased interpretation that equates to 'sinless perfection.' Do you claim to be sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolutely perfect 100% of the time? Is that how you define 'crucified the affections and lusts and perfection holiness in the fear of God?' Labeling yourself as "holier than thou" and labeling others as "justifying sin, darkness and evil" seems to be your trademark.

You contradict yourself.
No contradiction. Stumbling and sinning on occasion is not sinning continuously without interruption, 24/7.

In your first paragraph you say that we are not constantly sinning 24/7.
I never said it was constant, 24/7.

Then you say in the next sentence after this paragraph you say that 1 John 1:8 is in the present tense (Suggesting that one is sinning in the present tense). This means if one is sinning in the present tense, they would be sinning 24/7.
Present tense means that we are not sinless 100% of the time in the present tense and not the we are sinning every second of every day 24/7.

CONTINUED...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyways, you fail to understand context. You are reading these verses as if they have no connected singular thought. The reason WHY 1 John 1:9 is mentioned is to deal with how to properly deal with sin vs. not dealing with sin by a person falsely denying sin's existence (1 John 1:8). The gnostic believers were trying to seduce the brethren (1 John 2:26), and their denial of sin's existence is a false belief that was a warning to Christians in 1 John 1:8, and 1 John 1:10. For example: Christian Scientists believe sin is an illusion and does not exist. So 1 John 1:8 would be a warning to them. 1 John 1:8 is basically saying if we say we have no sin [if we do sin] we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. So 1 John 1:9 is the remedy or solution on how to deal with sin if it crops up in a believer's life vs. denying its existence (1 John 1:8). This has to be the interpretive view because 1 John 2:4 basically says that the person who says they know the Lord and they don't keep his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them. So how do exactly believe 1 John 2:4? You can't. It's not possible. Just like you don't believe Galatians 5:24, 1 Peter 4:1-2, and 2 Corinthians 7:1.
It's you who fails to understand context. Notice that - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (vs. 9) is IN CONTRAST TO - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (vs. 8) and - If we say that we have not sinned, (past tense) we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (vs. 10). Plain and simple.

Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we "must confess each and every sin that we commit as we commit them" (keep a specific inventory) as an "additional requirement" to "remain cleansed" and "if we forget a sin we are toast!" Believers speak the same/acknowledge/agree with God's perspective about their sins and have a settled recognition and acknowledgment that one is a sinner in need of cleansing and forgiveness. Unlike those who teach 'sinless perfection.'

1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. Do you define "keep" as flawlessly obey His commandments 100% of the time/sinless perfection? I believe Galatians 5:24; 1 Peter 4:1-2, and 2 Corinthians 7:1. I just don't believe your eisegesis that results in 'sinless perfection.'

No, sir. My judgment is against the false belief and not the person. I make every effort to not despise those who may justify sin wrongfully, either. Why? Well, Jesus tells me to love my enemies, and I believe that. But I don't love the false belief of OSAS (Once Saved Always Saved), or Perpetual Belief Alone-ism. It's the doctrine of demons that I hate and not the victim who has fallen prey to such a doctrine.
You make false accusations against me about justifying sin, darkness and evil and you call that love? I call it slander, which is sin. You have fallen prey to "type 2 works salvation" and viewing yourself as "holier than thou" which is self righteousness.

Anyways, the point of the parable you missed is that the Pharisee was not doing what the Tax Collector did (Which is crying out to God in having mercy and grace). The Jews made salvation all about Works and little to no grace. This is what Jesus was condemning in the Parable in Luke 18:9-14. Jesus said that our righteousness must exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees otherwise you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:20), and no, he was not talking about how you should just trust in the finished work of Christ while not worrying about sin in your life.
The point of the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector is that the Pharisee exalted himself and was confident of his own righteousness and looked down on everyone else (which is what Jesus was condemning in the parable) and the Tax Collector humbled himself and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ The Tax Collector walked away justified before God, but not the Pharisee.

In regards to Matthew 5:20 - "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven," this statement from Jesus would come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness and holiness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

The apostle Paul makes it clear in Romans 10:3-4, "For they (Israel) being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who BELIEVES."

The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness of God which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, therighteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

That's not possible if you believe 1 John 1:8 is speaking in the present tense for your life. This means you must believe you are sinning 24/7. If this is not the case, then you are denying 1 John 1:8 in that you say you have no sin. So your own belief system self implodes on itself and is simply not consistent. It's contradictory.
Present tense does not mean we are sinning every second of every day 24/7. It does however mean that we are not sinless 100% of the time in the present tense. No imploding belief system here. No contradiction. It's your self righteous belief system of 'sinless perfection' in the present tense that implodes. Besides being an extremist and a spiritual narcissist, you may very well be suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10) :(

By saying that I believe in Type 2 Works Salvation (Which is a man made invented term).
It's a term that describes exactly what you teach. 'Initially' saved by grace through faith, but 'ultimately' saved by works. Hence, type 2 works salvation. Just own it.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

In the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the Greek word for justified "dikaioo" #1344 is:

1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

In Matthew 12:37, we read - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is because our words (and our works) reveal the condition of our hearts. Words/works are evidences for, or against a man being in a state of righteousness.

God is said to have been justified by those who were baptized by John the Baptist (Luke 7:29). This act pronounced or declared God to be righteous. It did not make him righteous. The basis or ground for the pronouncement was the fact that God IS righteous. Notice that the NIV reads, "acknowledged that God's way was right.." The ESV reads, "they declared God just.." This is the sense in which God was "justified." He was shown to be righteous.

Matthew 11:19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified/vindicated/shown to be right by her deeds."

James 2:21 - Was not Abraham our father "justified by works" when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? In James 2:21, notice closely that James does not say that Abraham's work of offering up Isaac resulted in God's accounting Abraham as righteous. The accounting of Abraham's faith as righteousness was made in Genesis 15:6, many years before his work of offering up Isaac recorded in Genesis 22. The work of Abraham did not have some kind of intrinsic merit to account him as righteous, but it showed or manifested the genuineness of his faith. This is the "sense" in which Abraham was "justified by works." He was shown to be righteous.

Romans 4:2 - For if Abraham was justified (accounted as righteous) by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it (faith, not works) was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

If "justified by works" meant "accounted as righteous" by works in James 2:24, then we have a contradiction here and there are no contradictions in God's word. This is why it's so critical that we properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine.

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple! Too simple!
May we know the original author of the above please? Just out of interests sake.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mailmandan

Also in regards to your mention of Romans 4:2-6:

You need to keep in mind that Paul was fighting against what I would call: "Circumcision Salvationism."

Romans 3:1 says what profit is there of circumcision?
Romans 4:9-12 brings up the order of when the Lord does not impute sin (blessedness) in regards to belief vs. circumcision. Why bring up circumcision?

Well, a certain sect of Jews were trying to deceive some Christians into thinking they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved. This was a heresy that was clearly addressed at the Jerusalem council (See Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24). Again, this was the false belief that said you had to be initially circumcised to be saved. So if you believed you had to be circumcised to be saved, you would be making the law or work the basis of your salvation and not God's grace. In other words, Circumcision Salvation is basically Law Alone Salvationism without God's grace. Paul also addressed this problem; Paul said to the Galatians that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2), and then Paul mentions how if you seek to be justified by the Law, you have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This "law" is the Torah because circumcision is not a part of the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers.
This sounds like the same argument that Roman Catholics use in order to "get around" the truth here. Saved by "these" works (good works) and just not "those" works (works of the law, circumcision). Circumcision is only one example, but not a blanket statement for works. You cannot dissect good works from the moral aspect of the law and then teach that we are saved by "these" works, but just not "those" works.

In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" To give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a "work of faith/good work" yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses (Leviticus 19:18).

In Matthew 22:37-40, we read: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. Please tell me which good works a Christian could do that are "completely detached" from these two great commandments which are found in the law of Moses? (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18).

Either we perfectly keep the law, which includes the moral aspect of the law, and we are saved by works or else we place our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and receive His imputed righteousness (Romans 4:5-6; Philippians 3:9). There is no middle ground. Elsewhere, Paul said it is not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us.. (Titus 3:5) and God saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works.. (2 Timothy 1:9) so it's not merely specific works of the law, but works in general.

Romans 4:21-22 says:
“And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.”
Imputed righteousness by faith, not works.

We see a similar thing in 1 John 1:7.
If we walk in the light as He is in the light... the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

Walking in the light is loving your brother according to the indirect wording of 1 John 2:9-11.
So you have to love your brother in order for the blood of Jesus to continue to cleanse you from all sin.
1 John 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. Walking in darkness is descriptive of children of the devil. Walking in the light is descriptive of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. Verse 11 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother. *Notice that walks in darkness and hates his brother is connected to children of the devil.

So again, Romans 4:2-6 is not a case for Perpetual Belief Alone-ism.
Faith starts off as a belief, but it does not remain that way.
Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
Faith is believing everything in your Bible (Which includes INSTRUCTIONS from God for things for you to do).
Abraham's faith and not his works was accounted to him as righteousness and God imputes righteousness APART FROM WORKS. It was belief/faith alone "apart from works" that was accounted as righteousness. Now of course, genuine faith does not remain alone - "barren of works" yet we are still saved/justified/accounted as righteous by FAITH, NOT WORKS. Saving faith is trusting in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Obedience which follows is works. To say that faith "includes instructions from God for things for you to do" further demonstrates that you trust in works for salvation.

A Roman Catholic recently said something similar: We ARE saved by faith - as long as you properly define "Faith".
Faith is NOT simply "believing". Faith INCLUDES:

Being baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
Eating His body and drinking His blood/partaking the Lord's Supper during Mass (John 6:53-56)
Works of mercy and charity (Matt. 19:21, 25:31–46, Luke 18:22)
Obeying his commandments (John 15:10)
Doing the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21, James 1:22)

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May we know the original author of the above please? Just out of interests sake.
Don't have one particular author. Some things I write may be influenced by certain authors and paraphrased mixed with my explanations.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't have one particular author. Some things I write may be influenced by certain authors and paraphrased mixed with my explanations.
Okay. That particular paragraph I recognized as being someone else's 'language' or dialect. You get to know people's style of putting words together and know when there's a quote uncited. I do it too. I've got quotes stored on different topics because they say things in a way I never could.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Type 2 works salvation" is a term that describes exactly what you teach. You believe we are saved by grace through faith AND WORKS. Period. You said it yourself - "saved by BOTH God's grace AND sanctification WHICH INCLUDES WORKS." So how many works does it take, how much sin must you put away and how much holy living must you produce and 'ADD' as a supplement to Christ's finished work of redemption in oder to help Christ save you?

The plane is still flying over your head. To say I believe in “Type 2 Works Salvation” is a false term or name because such a term does not include my belief in the Bible that I believe that we are also saved by God’s grace. So you label my belief falsely even though you understand my belief. Your term “Type 2 Works Salvation” leaves out my belief in that we are also saved by God’s grace. That is why your term is a false accusation to what I actually believe (even though you appear to understand that I believe in two aspects of salvation).

You said:
Not at all. James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous.

Look friend. I just showed you that the same word “justified” is used for both faith and works in the same verse (James 2:24). That would mean you are saying that we are not accounted righteous by faith by admitting to this dumb kind of interpretation in James 2:24. But of course you must do the OSAS dance at any cost (even if it renders the text as illogical and useless).

You said:
James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

First, like before, you are unable to see that your belief is contradictory here. You say that works is evidence of salvation. That means that you need to have works in order to truly show you are saved (Meaning works is a part of the salvation equation). If this was not the case, then no works would be necessary to show evidence that you were saved. So your belief here is not consistent. It would be more consistent of your false belief if you were to label the book of James as an epistle of straw like Luther did (if indeed Luther believed this statement all the way unto his death). But currently, you hold to a contradiction and you are either unwilling or unable to see your own contradiction.

Second, James 2:14-18 does not undo James 2:24 and the point I made. James 2:14-18 also does not undo James 2:17 and the point I made in that you cannot be saved by a dead faith with no works. James 2:14-18 does not undo James 1:12, and James 1:21. James 1:12 says resist temptation and you will receive the crown of life. This does not sound like Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism here but it sounds like how we must endure to the end to be saved. It sounds like Conditional Salvation, and not OSAS. James 1:21 says, “Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.” So okay. You have to lay apart (set aside) (see the definition at King James Bible Dictionary here). You have to set aside all filthiness and naughtiness (sin) and receive with gentleness (meekness), the engrafted Word (NT Scripture) that is able to save your souls. So this is a salvation issue. To set aside sin. But of course we both know you justify sin because of a false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 that says we must always sin this side of Heaven. So you are declaring you will sin again. This is a justification of evil and darkness and that you are a slave to sin. Romans 6:14 says, “sin shall not have dominion over you”. Romans 6:20 says, “when ye were the servants of sin,” and Romans 6:22 says: “But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.” But you are not a servant to God because you believe you must always declare you are in sin based on a faulty interpretation on 1 John 1:8. For if you say that you are not in sin 24/7, then you would be contradicting your own belief in saying that you are within sin according to you false view on 1 John 1:8.

Jesus says, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.” (John 8:34) (NIV).

Jesus said to the Jews in condemnation: “the lusts of your father ye will do.” (John 8:44). Then Jesus said, “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.” (John 8:47). The word hear in this context means to obey (refer back to verse 44). James uses the word “hear” in a different context. James says, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” (James 1:22). Your belief allows for you to deceive yourself by not being a doer of the Word because all you need is a belief alone in Jesus to be saved and you don’t need to worry about being a doer of the Word. Or worse yet. If you are not a doer of the Word (at any point in your life), you will begin to question whether you truly have been saved or not in the past when you came to the Lord Jesus by faith for salvation. For you said that works is evidence of salvation. So again, your belief is self imploding. You can never truly have the assurance that your conversion with the Lord was genuine in the past unless you find yourself constantly being a doer of the Word. So doing works then would be your motivation to prove that maybe you were saved in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second... the manner in which they attacked Jesus over it's observance while He was alive.
This, indeed, cannot be overstated. A catalyst that, alone, would have had them literally on the hunt for "New Covenant" lawmakers with especial fervor.

Reactions: Brakelite

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. Listen to Jesus. Jesus says by your words you will be condemned. So this means if your words can condemn you, then you can be justified by your words in that they can save you. This make sense because Paul says woe unto me if I preach not the gospel (1 Corinthians 9:16).

You said:

You are using one part of Scripture that is not connected to another. God’s people declaring God just is not the same as God declaring a person just.

You said:

You are running down a rabbit hole that leads nowhere to justify something imaginary in the book of James that does not exist. James 2:24 is talking about God justifying a believer because the word “justified” is used in relation to faith. It says by works you are justified and not by faith alone. Faith is also the topic. Unless of course you believe that there is a justification of faith by God that does not save (Which would be dumb).

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!

What a useless post!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
Romans 14!
2 Corinthians 3!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!
That's all I need!

You should have quit with the first verse! that shows that sabbath keeping is up to teh individual before God and not mandatory for all believers.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why isn't it accepted that the Sabbath is nothing more than a day off? In ancient times it was unknown, which is why it was instituted by God. As Jesus clearly showed, sometimes it is necessary or advisable to do "work" on the sabbath, such as recuing animals and healing people. Should hospitals and emergency services not operate on Saturdays?